Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hawfouroutoffive sounds terrible, so they're just going to have win four more the old fashioned way by getting Hodge to drive every talented young players heads through goalposts

Excellent OP.

drunkill posted:

Also, even though the team post is long, maybe slip this map into the end of the post, it gives dirty foreigners international goons a good idea of the makeup of the league and why there is a Victoria/Melbourne bias: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:AFL_clubs_map

The only analogy would be if say... New York set up a Football league. Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Minnesota and Seattle eventually form their own leagues out of a sense of state pride (and distance, costs etc.) and they come to be really proud of their players and their teams. Eventually New York, which is the biggest and richest city of the above works out that instead of trying to make its teams better by developing the slowly straining player pool, it can just buy the best players from all those other leagues and make its league the best by far. This decimates the other leagues, and eventually the rise of TV rights and the concept of "nationally televised" means that New York - flush with money and talent - can start putting teams in direct competition with those leagues, most of which throw up the white flag and agree to effectively "buy-in" to the new "National League".
That's how the AFL formed, and it's a clunky analogy, but it does a decent job of explaining how something like half the teams in the Modern AFL come from Victoria and are over 100 years old.

This doesn't explain Port (that's a fun story), and we'll just pretend the entire south decided to play something super dog fucky instead (the story behind the NRL is somewhat similar to the AFL's, but it's somehow an even more wonderfully perplexing story that is mostly "gently caress you, we're Sydney and we're better than you fucks" with a little "I'm Rupert Murdoch, and I'm richer than all you fucks" thrown in for good measure. Also "QUEENSLANDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

quote:

The inaugural AFLW season hasn't even started yet and the AFL is already looking for ways to screw Collingwood over and give Carlton a helping hand. I guess it's good that the women are getting the same treatment the men have always had.

On the flipside, gently caress Collingwood?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

monolithburger posted:

Collingwood is like that one really annoying sibling that your Mum says you have to include in everything.

Bah, there should have been a Saints team.

I get why they had to have the teams they had.
Carlton and Collingwood have *massive* fanbases, and if Melbourne and Footscray had missed out there would have been (MORE) reason to burn AFL House to the ground.

I get it, but I don't like it. gently caress Collingwood, now and forever.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

What are they doing with Victoria Park with the moment, anyway?

I guess this might've been one of the reasons Hawthorn didn't put a bid in since neither Glenferrie or Waverley are really suitable, they'd probably have to lean on Box Hill (which indeed they now have for the state women's comp)

I think Hawthorn is waiting for Dingley to be finished, since I distinctly remember a women's ground being part of plan.

Also, Glenferrie is at least a quintillion times more viable than Melbourne Olympic Park.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Just to be clear, Hawthorn hasn't started work yet so that smell isn't the smugness.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Who's commentating?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Darcy Vescio is a great person to have be interviewed after the game.

Periphery posted:

I was thinking before that maybe fitness will be the biggest determinant of success in the early days of the WAFL. With the draft creating a relatively even spread of skill then fitness probably becomes super important for the first few years until the fitness levels even out as the game becomes more professional.

If we start calling the women's league the WAFL, does this mean the West Australian league goes back to being Westar Rules?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Troy Queef posted:

so now that i've come into a bit of cash i'm actually thinking of buying a proper AFL Membership (it doesn't hurt that they come with the international streaming) and like a true Yank plastic i'm trying to size up who'd i'd actually buy it from, right down to seeing who'll give me the most/best poo poo for my dollar. right now i'm down to:

--carlton (the local AFL team I play for is called the Blues and has a link-up with them)
--essendon (my dad bought me a long-sleeved Essendon jumper when he went to Melbourne once on business, because I remember watching James Hird on late-night AFL coverage here and he always wore long sleeves)
--richmond (the university I attended is the Tigers whose colors are black-and-gold, plus We're From Tigerland is a cracking club song)
--freo (when my AFL team plays as part of a combined side with other teams nearby we adopt Cincy's identity which is the Dockers, down to fairly recent Freo kits)

also, yes I can't wait to start playing again. i'm actually working on fitness this year ahead of the season, plus recruited a couple guys to come and play.

Yeah, watch a bunch of games this season. Pick players that you like and look for a team that you want to follow.

Of the teams you've listed, Carlton and Essendon have the most active fans here and are probably the largest fanbases you're likely to encounter in the wider world.

Carlton fans often have a stigma attached of coming across as colossal wankers with a bit of "born to win" mentality. They're not Hawthorn levels of smug (see: very. Patriots fans, maybe?), but if their young players pan out and they start to win flags and have a dynasty they will probably overcome that level and ascend to a new level of smug.
Essendon fans are still recovering from the Dankgate scandal and it's going to take some time before jokes involving needles go away.
Don't follow Richmond. Richmond fans are loving insane. There is more speculation following this garbage fire on wheels than on literally any other club. It's like following the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Freo doesn't really come with any of that stuff since a) they're like 20 years old and b) they've been poo poo for almost all of those 20 years. There is one other Freo fan here and the team isn't as garbage as their ladder position last year suggests.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ZombieJesus posted:

The handballing I've seen on display in the women's games so far has been considerably poorer than the mens, is that an upper body strength thing or because handballing is a more difficult thing that benefits from added years of training? Either way I'd expect that to improve in the next couple of years.

I'd love to see the stats, but I feel like the handball:kick ratio has been much heavier on the kicking side than is typical.

Generally the kicking has been ok though.

Apart from goal-kicking the foot skills have been good.
The Hand skills have been atrocious and seem to be the main difference between the good players and the bad ones. You can really pick out a Darcy Vescio when she's the one who seems to be able to pick the ball up while retaining pace.

It's early days, and I'm not going to rag on women's footy because the contests have been hard fought and it's the first week of the first season of "professional" womens footy. I'm eager to see what the girls are capable of in the finals.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Is it sad that I'm more hyped about watching a game of AFL Women's in February then I am about watching Australia A vs New Zealand in the cricket?

It's not even just the ODI factor, even if it was a Test I'd be treating it about as seriously as Cricket Australia apparently are.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Any Australian complaining about gaps in play needs to take a huge long look at all forms of cricket

If you think American football is the worst in terms of game-time to coverage time in the US market, Baseball would like to have a word.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

And Daisy hasn't even looked like the best player on the ground.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

phwoar what a mis...mark...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

I was gonna ask about Josh Caddy but I guess he's with Richmond now. Did he ever get any good?

Not really, no.

The small amount of attention I gave Geelong last year informs me that in the early part of the season Selwood was not at his (admittedly brilliant) best. Cats fans c/d?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The pay packet is somewhat small, the game is being played during the hottest part of the year and the lists aren't large enough for the teams to have any depth. Those are all larger concern imho.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Port don't even have to wear their away jumper since there's no clash, he's just chucking a loving three year old tantrum a federal mp would be proud of

I think the concern is that the Chinese people are going to see a team wearing red and gold and they will automatically think "OH HEY, CHINESE NATIONAL TEAM. GO SUNS GO!" which is a whole new level of condescending.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, I get that the end goal is to make more money, but China? If there was that much money there that could actually be had, there'd be an NFL game in Beijing or Shanghai every year, surely?

It's a relatively untapped market with surprisingly little major domestic competition. I guess they're taking the chance that the middle class is well enough entrenched they might be willing to give this AFL thing a go?

IMHO AFL is definitely a sport that will grow if you're prepared to play the long game and get kids into the sport. If you're going to take the Soccer approach and just play some friendlies on the other side of the world, you're going to get big hot nothing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

The vast majority of the contact there is caused by Duryea, I can't see it being deliberate at all.

It's an awkward one, I can only assume they're planning on aggressively defending the head this season. He said, knowing the Match Tribunal had ignored several other instances of players getting hit in the head.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Two former employees are ?suing? Essendon over some stuff and they're dishing their dirty laundry.

It remains to be seen how much of their dirty laundry is bullshit.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So that means Adelaide goes through assuming that both Adelaide and the Dees win, and that the Dees don't win by like a hundred?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

theres still one more game to go. brisbane are locked in, my understanding is if they win next week or if adelaide lose next week then brisbane get a home GF

dees and adelaide both win next week - adelaide should still go through with their superior percentage
dees win and adelaide lose - dees make the GF
dees lose and adelaide win - adelaide make the GF

both teams lose (and carlton win?) - adelaide probably still goes through anyway with their percentage

I don't know what's more likely, Adelaide or Melbourne choking their way out of the final.

OOH OOH I KNOW I KNOW
Adelaide and Melbourne choking and Carlton beating Brisbane by 50 points and leapfrogging both.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

How would you structure a finals series for an 8 team comp?

A final 4 with two simple semis? This has the benefits of being simple, but also the downside of half the teams in the comp make the finals

A final 3 with the minor premier making the GF and 2 vs 3 for the right to face them? This has teh benefits of rewarding number 1, and making the finals series elite. But only adds one game and compared to the current system only benefits one team.

Something else?

Personally I'd go with the semis idea. Simple, and easily understood.

I wouldn't.
For next year, maybe a top 4 (1 vs 2, winner goes to GF, loser plays winner of 3 vs 4). I feel like the double chance is a valuable part of the AFL finals system.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

so the most likely results will still be:

1. adelaide win and they're in,
2. adelaide lose and dees win then the dees make it, and
3. adelaide and dees both lose and adelaide still makes it anyway

4. Adelaide and Melbourne win, percentage doesn't change enough for Melbourne to get through which means Adelaide goes through
5. Adelaide and Melbourne win, percentage does change enough for Melbourne to get through which means Melbourne goes through.

It's Collingwood and Fremantle. The odds of both winning are really rather high.

EDIT: I just did some rudimentary maths and if - for example - Adelaide wins 35-34, and if Fremantle score 23 points then Melbourne needs to score around 101. I think what I'm saying is "have fun Brisbane and Adelaide".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 12, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Divorced And Curious posted:

Hawkers is no cheaper than Pirate Life where I am and nowhere near the quality. $25 is more than I like paying for a 6pk, but then I remember a time when any more than $15 was considered a ridiculous amount to pay for a 6pk so yknow, the times they are a-changin.

I'm a snob who drinks Stouts, Sours and Porters, and I will pay $12 for a decent beer.
Worth noting I don't drink much so when I do it's an occasion I'm willing to spend for.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

yeah

I know a lot of bomber fans are pretty bullish about it but Hawthorn is always going to be a tough ask

It's going to be interesting for both teams.
No Hodge, S. Mitchell or Lewis. The regular season return of Roughead.
And playing against a team that could come out in almost any fashion.

I wouldn't be stunned if Essendon win.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

I'd be disappointed if Essendon finish in the bottom 3 as most people are suggesting given there's a bunch of players back and they don't have the mental strain of the drugs scandal hanging over them any more

They also haven't played a genuinely competitive season game in over a year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

He's somewhat original but he also liberally copies and pastes from his own articles.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

They do, the on-field intelligence is gone. They have new players who haven't learnt to think on their feet with each other which will take time. But it's also the first game of the season, the smart guys are saying it's not going to be predictable.

My take on it:

Hawthorn rocked up to the game not expecting the bombers to actually show up.
The Hawks then gave away a large number of really dumb frees.
Then proceeded to believe all the way through the third that "they'll drop off, any minute now".

The kicking was very poor and very unhawthornlike, and they seemed to want to do what the Dogs did last year with manic pressure.

It's not an alarm bells thing, because O'Meara and Mitchell will get better and will fit into the side more (although nothing can be done about Ty Vickery, jfc what were they thinking?) and as they do the team will probably start to revert to what is expected of a Hawthorn team in so far as kicking and composure.

I don't think that having Lewis or Sam Mitchell would have changed that result dramatically.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Wasn't Brian Lake driving around the MCG in a golf cart with his kids after one of their GF wins?

Crawford had one of his kids on him (in a harness) as they were singing the song after 08.
During the more recent flags, most of the players had wives and kids on the ground after the win.

Might just be a "Hawthorn have old players" thing, I don't know.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Suns look like they are gonna be well in the race for the spoon this year.

The Saints might have to be content with the Hawks pick being #2. :(

HAW next 5: @Suns, Cats, WCE, Saints, Dees.

If they can't make a surge up the ladder in these 5 games (they're realistically going to have to beat all of the Suns, Saints and Dees and at least one of the Cats and Eagles), the season is going to be ugly. Except for me, I might be able to afford season tickets after the price drop in time for next season.

Vickery is staggeringly bad, the midfield isn't clicking and everything just looks wrong. It's not a good start to a season.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

what is going on :psyduck:

Have the Scott twins swapped jobs without telling anyone again, or are they colluding to save the North Melbourne ones job?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

This has all the makings of a classic Norfing though. Handy lead at 3QT, but not in the bag.

Oh god I hope not, but I'm also entirely convinced you're right.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NORF

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

My god what a comeback from the Cats.

You say "my god what a comeback from the Cats" the rest of us say "Holy poo poo, how did North Norf their way out of that one".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

so are port actually good again or are fremantle still just really bad

The second one is definitely right, time will tell if the first is or not.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

Delayed onset dipshit.

Keep digging.

I like how he's saying "OUR STAR FORWARD SHOULD BE SUSPENDED", something that will have a marked impact on that teams ability to win games and make finals, "and Carlton should probably cop a fine for breaching a rule and potentially endangering one of it's players", something that is tantamount to a slap on the wrist for one of the AFL's richest and most well supported clubs and you're choosing to get upset about the second part of that.

Pick your loving hills man.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I refuse to believe Kate Ellis has ever done anything wrong.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

harley bennell has hurt his opposite calf in training and will delay his comeback by around a week, says an optimistic freo. that bloke has become like an albatross for the team

He thought he hurt his right calf last week, and definitely did hurt his left calf this week.
His left one is the one he got major surgery on.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Footy is still great even if your team is poo poo.

At least we won't lose to Geelong by less than a kick on Monday.

They will find a loving way to make it a last second kick from Tom Hawkins. Who will, in true Tom Hawkins fashion, have a ripped jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Over the last 3 weeks the Saints have kicked 36 goals and 57 points.

Has an entire team ever got the goal kicking yips before? Normally it's just one player that gets them but this is becoming too strong of a trend to ignore.

For a while the Weagles did.

• Locked thread