Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

Josh Gibson got nothing for his hit on ruggles, menegola and Parsons copped suspensions

You watched the game right? In which case you would agree that allowing Hawthorn to pick Gibson is a punitive measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

General Admission.
So, highest level roughly in line with where the 50m arc hits the boundary.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Does this indicate Ballarat going the way of Bendigo in the VFL?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

i just tuned in, is the attendance as miserable as it looks or is the crowd distributed evenly or what

It's the G. The Attendance would look pretty bad at Etihad, but looks absolutely diabolical at the G.

I sure am glad the Hawks decided to show up the day the Habs get eliminated.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The MCG when it's at 80+ and has *two* fanbases locked in is amazing.

Docklands when it's a Victorian team that can be arsed travelling to Docklands (so, not the Demons) can be amazing.

Personally, I prefer travelling to Docklands because less walking and stuffing around at Richmond, but I went to a finals matchup between Hawthorn and Geelong in 2014 at the G and that was an experience that was genuinely worth the money (?60 dollars for concession silver seats?) I paid.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 25, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Testekill posted:

Mumford is plodding about with his career being extended thanks to the third man up changes.

I won't argue the Deledio, Griffen or Johnson stuff, but Mumford is staggeringly important to the Giants. This year he averages the second highest hit-outs per game and is tied for first in Frees for/game (he is tied with Joel Selwood, which is a pretty impressive feat). The third man up rules have helped him, but they took him from "very good" to "pretty much necessary".

If you're looking for a guy who's going to give you first use, he's in that category of players you need to seriously look at.
If he gets injured again, the Giants are probably still going to hurt badly.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

I'd say something mean about this but glass houses et cetera

We're in "the Carlton" phase of the rebuild. You know, the one that happens about 5 years before you finally give up and admit you need to do an actual rebuild.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

Why did Hawthorn lose?

Hawks Bad, Saints aren't as bad in Tasmania as West Coast are in Melbourne.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gabensraum posted:

Hawks generally have a strong advantage there but the saints have played there a bit, and still have a decent following in Tas from the baldock days. Any time two vic teams play there the crowd isn't as partisan as when a 1987-on expansion team comes.

IMHO, the Hawks "fortress Aurora" stuff was always overplayed, the Hawks kept winning at Aurora because they typically played smaller draw teams (who tended to be "not great") there and were just really good in general.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Langford, one of only two players actually trying to win the football, gets dropped while Hartung gets to keep making GBS threads it up

I will never understand why Billy Hartung gets a game.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I can't wait until the biggest upset of the round is revealed to be Brisbanes 180 point win in Launceston.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

lightinwater posted:

God bless you Bradley Hill, and your 16 uncontested marks. Perhaps next time you can aim for at least one tackle.

I see someone who isn't accustomed to the way Bradley Hill and Isaac Smith have developed as players. Namely, Good Blokes play on the inside and try to drive their knees through opposition bones, and their opponents heads through goal and behind posts play tough and hard allowing outside runners to stay on the outside as running players.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

No percentage in that one, talk about unconvincing.

something something flat track bullies something something

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

Lol, knocking over the premiers is being a flat track bully now?

The Victorian media is totally gonna talk about how it was "an unconvincing win to a great game, Eagles still have plenty to prove" which is code for "we're waiting until they start losing again, but we've got like 15 'why the Eagles are flat track bullies' stories ready to go".
That is, assuming they bother talking about it at all.

I don't agree with that story line, but I am going to enjoy reading it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I was wondering why everyone was trashing St Kilda, while St Kilda were winning and then I had a look at the stats.

Woof.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

To be fair, they're pretty tame for an EDDIEBETTS goal.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

You lot are trying your best to steal the "Worst Thread" crown from the F1 thread, you know that?

If Tony Montana isn't back, I think they might have clinched it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Whitecross finally gets to 100 games, well deserved. Bruest gets 150 and two debutants in Willsmore and Cousins. Hartung dropped which is good but Langford dropped again which I'm loving fuming about. Again. Exciting selections, anyway. Pity about the thumping we're gonna get.

This is going to be a humiliation and Hartung (eugh) and Langford (yay!) will be back in the team next week.
I'm also happy for Whitecross, just a shame his games are coming now instead of two years ago.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I had a poo poo day, but I used the power of positive bullshit and believed in the Hawks and they pulled it off.
It helps that Sydney played down to the level of the Hawks consistently, but gently caress I'll take it.

Four(-and-six-)thorn is back, baby.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'm somewhat staggered they've made it to almost 5k ACT members, but then the Brumbies aren't doing that good and the Raiders are a non-starter for large swathes of Canberrans.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

I cant help but feel everyone would hate Geelong less if Cameron Ling weren't commentating our matches

It's a decent start, but I think that's digging a trench in a mountain and hoping to hit ground water.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

He's not entirely wrong.
If you're a team that views your premiership window as "wide open" and yet aren't getting the job done, you should be chasing the kinds of players who are at that tier. And if you can't get them, you should view it as a failure.
Spoiler alert: except for Gibbs (who doesn't belong next to Fyfe, Martin and Kelly), who they might get, the Adelaide Crows are almost certainly going to have a failure of an offseason.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Setting your criteria for failure as two of the top ten mids in the comp (not Gibbs, but the rest yes) is actually dumb

Yeah, that's a fair argument.
Adelaide should be approaching all three with heavy brown paper bags stuffed with money fully expecting to get one.
They will probably dip their toe in, get scared off by the bigger bids and gently caress off to masturbate to Crouch photos.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

Adelaide will never land a big fish unless they came from SA, left their original club in disgrace because they boned Kelly Stevens and/or are incredibly old and washed up, and even then it costs them an emerging generational talent at that position

Having potshots at Adelaide feels a bit cheap and easy, but I'm definitely not one to shy away from low hanging fruit.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 4, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

North got Daniel Wells with the Carey pick :negative:

Yeah, and they were also going after Pavlich who privately declared that he would never ever play for the Crows when they took Carey instead.

At least, that's the story I remember.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Legal limit is .09 in the US. What do they do over this? Tribunal type of deal?

He'll get a fine and some counselling.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Oh hey, it's not an 80 point loss.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Really the AFL should be prioritising a reform of the rules instead of coming up with stupid convoluted playoff systems to satisfy their "broadcasting partners" because they're scared of dead rubbers (of which there might be comparatively few this year!)

What's really sad is how a "play-in" system isn't really necessary in a league with a salary cap, draft and a position weighted schedule. I mean, it'll be neat to have and make the last few weeks more of a horse race, sure, but it shouldn't be needed.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Please, :lol:

He will come good. No quoting this and being smug about it until he is still not healthy a year from now.

If he ever gets a full preseason and regular season, for sure. He will be very good.
Those are huge ifs.

My heart still believes, like I believe Fourthorn starts next year, but realistically they made a really dumb move that will bite them in the arse hard.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Personally I think the real problem they have at Hawthorn is that a lot of the junior players they expected to stand up this year turned out to be not as good as they had hoped.

Yeah.
Langford has been the only one registering on the "give-a-poo poo-o-meter" while not being "all that good" at least you can say he's loving trying and the "experienced" young players - Duryea and Hartung - have been utter garbage. The midfield has been beaten comprehensively which is a shame because Kaiden Brand, Ryan Burton and Tim O'brien have shown a glimmer of promise in their respective ends.

I feel for Whitecross since he was injured all the way through the threepeat and comes back to this dumpster fire.

Oh well, next year O'Meara is going to return and show the world what Gaz taught him (not the god botherer stuff) and FOURTHORN WILL BE BACK BABY.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

monolithburger posted:

Harvesting of souls of the innocent

Burgoyne not Hodge.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thepokey posted:

This loving season is going to end up with Hawthorn as the premiers somehow because the world is cruel

Fourthorn starts next year mate.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

realbez posted:

Fourthorn is dead, friend. If you're gonna allow separated years then it already happened because of 2008, but you can't do that.

No, I mean Fourthorn starts next year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-06-22/was-this-goal-review-the-right-call

Am I the only one who thinks they got the review spot on?

The goal line is painted to the back of the post, including padding, the ball is clearly touched before it clears the back of the padding, and then also hit's the post before clearing it.

The whole of the ball didn't cross the line, but like another centimeter and that's a goal for sure.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

racing identity posted:

12 hours later and I am still filled with a deep happiness and satisfaction.

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Gilchrist once brought a paperback copy of "Das Kapital" to read whilst on tour, so I don't know how or when he outed himself as a Liberal supporter.

I believe he's shilling for CA big time right now, but that might be a "don't burn a bridge you want to use" thing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

:toxx: If this is actually how Hawthorn dodges the Vickery contract, I will donate $50 to a VicPol charity.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Jesus christ Langford is capable of the arsey-est goals.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It turns out the Lions can be worse at something than they are at footy. Who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ewe2 posted:

No, he'd been assistant coach at Collingwood for two years under Malthouse, which might have something to do with it. I feel he was egged on into the head position without being given much time to think about it.

Wasn't his two years as assistant part of the succession plan?
The plan was definitely for Bucks to be assistant before he took over as the senior coach.

• Locked thread