Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the bounce should be brought back for all ball ups?

We sit around complaining about "congestion" then provide the rucks the easiest possible way to continue congesting it with short taps. Add some randomness back into it drat it!

It'll be fun when there's a bad bounce and all the midfielders run away from the ball so they don't get pinged under the new 3rd man up ban.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Plz no

There's no way I'm gonna be fit enough for selection by then

Just put "Played for GWS" on your resume and tell Carlton you are available. You'll get a game no problem.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cue thousands of idiot standbyhirders saying Sydney should be banned and it's all an AFL conspiracy

Aren't they already appealing the appeal or some crap based on 'new evidence' or something? As you can tell I was very interested in yet more drug saga so I gave it a lot of attention.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Sorry I brought it up.

In other news: The Saints are looking like they will give Port a solid thrashing.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Apparently Eddie Betts is playing for Carlton.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Cow Dudes back. COW DUDES BACK!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'm constantly surprised by how seriously some supporters take the preseason games and the ridiculous conclusions they jump to because of it.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Jack Steven's hair is glorious.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Jack Steele :swoon:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Periphery posted:

Jack Steven's hair is glorious.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Umpire throws ball in. Throw is short. Ball hits a crows player in the back (he's watching the ruckmen and not the ball). Umpire pays a free against the crows as per the new no third man up rules.

:suicide:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Yeah, new rule is bad.

Cost Carlton a goal yesterday in the aflw because the ball was thrown over the two rucks and another player tapped the ball. What are they going to do, let it drop on the ground? It is even worse in aflw because if it is supposed to fix congestion around ballups, guess what? There are 4 less players on the field.

That's exactly what they are supposed to do. Once the ball hits the ground it's free game. I kinda get it if the player is aware the ball is coming towards them and they choose to tap it, but it's ridiculous to ping a player that had no idea the ball was going to hit them and assumed the umpire would be able to do their job.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Pretty sure Hodge missed training because he was busy campaigning for One Nation in WA.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

But Jack Steele has had 8 disposals and 4 tackles in a quarter.

Bruce should have kicked those 2 goals.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Steele's ability to wriggle some space while in close and under pressure is dreamy.

Good game so far. Straight kicking would help.

Yeah, it's been a real good game. Our execution is just letting us down at the wrong times and then the Swans are cutting us up on the turnover. Buddy is good to watch.

I nearly poo poo myself when McCartin and Gresham crashed into each other. Luckily it looks like it was just a bit of a corky for both of them.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
GAME ON

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints poor kicking at goal cost them that. Should have had 2 or 3 more goals from easy shots.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Tom HIckey: 29 disposals (18 contested), 39 hitouts, 10 clearances, 6 tackles. :vince:

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

"BUT BUT LONGER CAN RUCCK BETTER" <- Idiots on bigfooty.

Longer IS a better ruck but holds no candle around the ground at all.

Meanwhile was a drat good game that we should have won. Slippery ball conditions didnt help our skills for sure.

Yeah, the whole Longer v Hickey debate over there was ridiculous. Hickey was always clearly #1 but (imo) they were giving Longer a chance to take the spot from Hickey. Longer did alright but Hickey just asserted his dominance in a spectacular way tonight.

How nice is it to have a midfield that looks like it can stand up to a team like Sydney (even if it is just preseason). Armo getting back to his 2015 form and the addition of Steele (:swoon:) make all the difference. KStevens gives more depth and if Acres can pull his head out (38 disp in the VFL is a good start) then he'll be another great addition. It helps that we got players like Newnes, Webster, Wright and Weller that throw themselves at the contest with reckless abandon.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/gws...3e9c767b73a4877 posted:

THE GWS Giants have lost a portion of their contentious academy zone while all northern teams will be subject to a radical change to recruiting zoned players through the draft beginning this year.

Under a revamped system which will impact all northern clubs, the ability to take academy recruits in the national draft will be tied to ladder position. Teams that finish in the top four would only be able to take one academy product in the top 20 of the draft.

Team that finish from fifth to eighth will be able to take two academy players in the top 20 while there will be no limit for clubs that finish outside of the top eight.

While the details are still being clarified, Fox Sports understands the Giants will lose part of their southern NSW zone including Albury, which provided the club with three talented youngsters in 2016, as well as multiple Murray region towns.

That means GWS will lose access to potential first round selections Jarrod Brander, an athletic key tall from Wentworth, as well as Albury midfielder Charlie Spargo (the son of former Kangaroo and Brisbane Bear Paul).

Murray towns such as Wentworth, Moama, Albury, Deniliquin and possibly Finley are set to be lost.

The AFL decision culminates a successful lobbying campaign by rival clubs which have been alarmed by the Giants’ amassing of talent including four top 20 selections in last year’s draft — a year in which they narrowly missed the grand final.

The Sydney Swans were believed to be strongly opposed to the top four restriction, which would prevent them from taking more than one highly-rated academy player such as Isaac Heeney or Callum Mills in one draft.

The Giants picked up three players from Albury in the 2016 off-season — Will Setterfield (Pick 5) and Lachie Tiziani (Pick 54) in the national draft while academy product Zach Sproule was added to the club’s rookie list.

The Giants have said the zone and academy set-up has enabled the game to be developed far better in the relevant regions where hardly any players were being drafted from previously.

I guess GWS will have to be content with only winning the next 5 flags instead of 10.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

Twilight grandfinal can gently caress right off. How am I meant to have a kick with mates after the loving suns gone down?

Embrace the Chaos Ball.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Join the Goon Ultimate Footy league!

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
That was a good goal.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
75k people at Etihad to watch Adelle last night with another concert tonight. Can't wait to see how hosed up the turf is on Saturday.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

We need a 6th team to stop the thing breaking again same time tomorrow.

:siren: JOIN US AND HAVE FUN :siren:

http://ultimate-footy.theage.com.au/588618/

Gonna have to set up my robodraft list tonight cause I wont be able to make it tomorrow night. Should be interesting. We still get like 50 trades during the season, yeah?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Windmill Hut posted:

I'm obviously very biased, but the Saints vs. Dees looks like it could be the best game of the opening round?

Yeah, Saints v Des looks the best to me as well (biased of course).

Crows V GWS should be good. Most of the others are a bit lackluster though. Some upsets would make for a very interesting start to the season though. Tigers losing to Carlton and Cats to Freo would throw some real spanners into the works for the losing teams prospects for the season.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Interesting video on how the Tigers managed to double their membership despite being poo poo on field. Skip to 10min for the specifics (the start is general info on demographics etc).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbC103roOI

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

The only question is will there be more goals than knee injuries at the Saints v Dees match

No don't say this.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Two things to take from this video:
- Holy poo poo, the WAFL is sponsored by McDonalds.
- KICK BIG!

https://twitter.com/WAFLOfficial/status/843717866025377793

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

DEHUMANISE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

But I want both the Dees and Saints to make the 8 this year.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
A good draft.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

So Carlton have selected a draftee that didn't play a single JLT game, okay

Considering how Carlton played in the JLT it's possible he's genuinely better than someone that did play.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
GWS
Swans
Crows
Eagles
Dogs
Cats
Saints
Dees
--------------
Hawks
Pies
Port
Tigers
Freo
Suns
Dons
North
Blues
Lions

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Teams are out! http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Why isn't Dom Tyson playing for the Dees this week?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Hume, can your computer easily figure out how many teams drop out of the 8 on average each year?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

drunkill posted:

Advertising in the goal squares now? Awesome...

(I know AFLW had it but I assumed it was because they only had the one sponsor and it is cheaper than painting on the wings and removing after the game, how wrong was I)

Yeah, it looks like poo poo and needs to gently caress off.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

The Deadly Hume posted:

OK, quick'n'dirty

1996 2 in: {'SYD', 'HAW'} out: {'RIC', 'WBD'}
1997 4 in: {'BRL', 'STK', 'ADE', 'WBD'} out: {'BRB', 'ESS', 'HAW', 'CAR'}
1998 2 in: {'MEL', 'ESS'} out: {'GEE', 'BRL'}
1999 3 in: {'BRL', 'PAD', 'CAR'} out: {'MEL', 'STK', 'ADE'}
2000 3 in: {'GEE', 'MEL', 'HAW'} out: {'WCE', 'SYD', 'PAD'}
2001 4 in: {'SYD', 'ADE', 'PAD', 'RIC'} out: {'GEE', 'MEL', 'NME', 'WBD'}
2002 4 in: {'WCE', 'MEL', 'NME', 'COL'} out: {'SYD', 'HAW', 'CAR', 'RIC'}
2003 2 in: {'SYD', 'FRE'} out: {'MEL', 'NME'}
2004 3 in: {'GEE', 'MEL', 'STK'} out: {'ADE', 'COL', 'FRE'}
2005 2 in: {'NME', 'ADE'} out: {'BRL', 'ESS'}
2006 3 in: {'COL', 'FRE', 'WBD'} out: {'GEE', 'NME', 'PAD'}
2007 4 in: {'GEE', 'NME', 'PAD', 'HAW'} out: {'MEL', 'STK', 'FRE', 'WBD'}
2008 2 in: {'STK', 'WBD'} out: {'WCE', 'PAD'}
2009 3 in: {'BRL', 'ESS', 'CAR'} out: {'SYD', 'NME', 'HAW'}
2010 3 in: {'SYD', 'HAW', 'FRE'} out: {'BRL', 'ESS', 'ADE'}
2011 2 in: {'WCE', 'ESS'} out: {'FRE', 'WBD'}
2012 3 in: {'NME', 'ADE', 'FRE'} out: {'ESS', 'STK', 'CAR'}
2013 3 in: {'PAD', 'CAR', 'RIC'} out: {'WCE', 'NME', 'ADE'}
2014 2 in: {'NME', 'ESS'} out: {'CAR', 'COL'}
2015 3 in: {'WCE', 'ADE', 'WBD'} out: {'GEE', 'ESS', 'PAD'}
2016 2 in: {'GEE', 'GWS'} out: {'FRE', 'RIC'}

Asterisk for 1997 since the merged Lions were more or less the Bears from 1996.

Awesome! Thanks.

It's interesting that there hasn't been a year with only 1 dropping out in that time. This year North is the obvious choice to fall but there isn't a real clear 2nd option. The Hawks are the only other I think might drop out but it's so hard to tell with their ins:outs.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Dusty. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It'd be amazing if the Tigers lost from here.

• Locked thread