Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
"Don’t be the moron tonight who picks out the flaws and compares every contest to the men’s game. Be the person who embraces the creation of this bright, growing competition that is well and truly here to stay."

http://www.thegreenfieldpost.com.au/sport/afl/opinion-gfp/2017/1/get-around-the-aflw-because-its-here-for-the-long-haul/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

gabensraum posted:

I stopped watching NFL because of how the league is handling the concussion issue, but I enjoyed the sport beforehand and have a couple of observations about the "time ball is in play" issue:

1. I'm a big test cricket fan and I wonder how long the ball is in play there, too
2. The few seconds that any individual play takes is action-packed, heaps is going on, all of the players are putting in 100%. So while the gaps are boring, the playtime never is, unlike footy or soccer or even rugby.
3. You can download it after with the gaps cut out, and it's a great watch

That's my story, I hope you liked it.

edit: yes the overtime rule sucks, it has been changed

Well I mean they bowl 540 balls a day in Test cricket

snaeksikn posted:

champion data continue their quest towards irrelevance by ranking Peter Wright as the best 20 year in the game since they started tracking this stuff in 2010. http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cha...2331f673abea213

the gist of it:

note that cameron was the coleman runner up at age 20 with 62 goals for the year. apparently wrights 4.2 hitout per game average sealed the deal in the rankings.

what are champion data smoking?

Peter Wright is pretty loving good

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

For pick 43, and an upgrade from 71 to 67 :thumbsup:

Such a shitshow, and you'll be surprised to learn all of it is being run through the insiders and old mates club, f.ex the guy who blew the Gibbs trade is the son of the guy was was banned for crafting the illegal Tippett contract.

Wait really? You're kidding?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

snaeksikn posted:

the @carltondraft_ instagram shop has a sense of humour about the rest of footy, this is oddly enough one of their only serious designs

They're making a big deal out of supporting AFLW which is interesting because they regularly run questionable jokes on their FB.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The Optus/EPL debacle aside, that's one of the worst broadcasting policies I've ever seen. It's absolutely horrific.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Guaranteed Foxtel have their fingerprints on this. They're trying to protect an extremely out of date business model and are terrified of streaming. That bloke in Brisbane with the Mundine fight proved that.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Schlesische posted:

Not really, no.

The small amount of attention I gave Geelong last year informs me that in the early part of the season Selwood was not at his (admittedly brilliant) best. Cats fans c/d?

Yeah got going about halfway through. We are one-dimensional but that one dimension still wins a lot. We got lucky with the draw last year and one of the best individual seasons I've ever seen In Danger. No way can we replicate second. We're a 5-8 side IMO.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The Essendon saga is back! Hell yeah!

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

pkid posted:

A pale ale from South Australia?

Pirate Life tins, come on doooooowwwwwnnnnnn.

Pirate Life is grouse but far too expensive for an Australian beer. Get on the Hawkers beers

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Divorced And Curious posted:

Hawkers is no cheaper than Pirate Life where I am and nowhere near the quality. $25 is more than I like paying for a 6pk, but then I remember a time when any more than $15 was considered a ridiculous amount to pay for a 6pk so yknow, the times they are a-changin.

Ah I'm guessing you're outside of Melbourne then?

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
The thing about the AFLW GF (and early Lions home games) not being at the Gabba is that it's not actually the AFL's fault. They're getting strong armed by cricket in the only state that can happen. The curator is saying Adele ruined the pitch area and he needs to spend some time fixing the turf she apparently wrecked to ensure the pitch for the first Ashes Test later this year is ok.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
https://twitter.com/greenfieldpost/status/843755124925259777

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

Didn't he admit that he broke it playing cricket?

I'm not sure he admitted it but there were multiple accounts and a scorecard that backed up that theory

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Testekill posted:

It makes me laugh that people still trot out the finished 7th thing. Besides the fact that we won four finals in a row, we went into the final match against Freo not giving a poo poo because Adelaide laying down like bitches after losing Sloane meant that winning would have made no difference on where we placed.

It's weird to think that the next challenge for the reigning premiers is to finish in the top four

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
1. GWS
2. Sydney
3. Eagles
4. Dogs
5. Geelong
6. Adelaide
7. Hawthorn
8. Melbourne

9. St Kilda
10. Gold Coast
11. Freo
12. Collingwood
13. Richmond
14. Port
15. Essendon
16. Norf
17. Carlton
18. Brisbane

Can't see how Melbourne and St Kilda finish in the top eight. Also think Collingwood, Richmond and Port will have to can their coaches this year

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

thepokey posted:

If Carlton get Sam Pang, then I want Damian Cowell for Essendon banners :colbert:

e: Although I think he's for the Saints. RHB was Richmond from memory.

Apparently Damian Cowell was a copywriter at Triple M when TISM was at its biggest

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Pretty cool that we saw the best goal in the history of footy today https://twitter.com/afl/status/845953103291568128

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Word is Pearce and Cian Hanley's brother Tommy has passed away. He was 16

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Just watched the last quarter of tonight's game. Wow it was exciting until that deliberate rushed decision ruined the game.

If they apply it that way every week it'll be awesome imo

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

ewe2 posted:

Nah, I read it for information's sake, just that this particular angle was completely new to me; it was claimed that Dermott Brereton raised it on SEN with AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan. Surely the boys can't be that threatened?

From about 12:12 here - https://audioboom.com/posts/5771667-crunch-time-01-04-2017-afl-chief-executive-gillon-mclachlan

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

This goal was loving sick. High degree of difficulty for every part of the move. I agree he'll have a big season.

Also the Cats were marginally less poo poo than Melbourne today. I reckon our field kicking wasn't much better than their goal kicking. Taylor simply must play in defence.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

AFL At MCG and Docklands, NRL at AAMI Park, Kids show at the tennis centre, and a bunch of the big roads are closed for the run for the kids

Traffic whatup

I live in the north-east and work on Clarendon St, today I had to drive all the way to Lakeside and Albert Park to get to work. Was awesome

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Busy af with work but wanted to say that Hawks guernsey is mint imo

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

pkid posted:

Also, the Saints are owed their first round pick this year.

And Gold Coast their second. As it stands their first pick is GWS's second rounder

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

TG-Chrono posted:

I memed a meme

Haha very good. I reckon the Greenfield Post would run this if you sent it to them

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

TG-Chrono posted:

Can't stand Titus. 360 gets grating whenever Slobbo speaks. On the couch would be better without David King and League teams would be better with Derm. Basically footy media is half good. Avoid anything with Damian Barrett or Craig Hutchison.

I personally reckon Hutchy and Barrett's podcast is a really good resource for learning about the footy/sport media. They do love to self-congratulate though so you need a fairly strong constitution

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Schlesische posted:

They will find a loving way to make it a last second kick from Tom Hawkins. Who will, in true Tom Hawkins fashion, have a ripped jersey.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah probably.

"Gallant performance" yes but still a donut when it comes to premiership points.
Boo fucken hoo

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Schlesische posted:

You watched the game right? In which case you would agree that allowing Hawthorn to pick Gibson is a punitive measure.

he's coooooked

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
If I can I prefer top level behind the goals. Get a much better idea of the the way set up

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

I know the Titus podcast is a bit polarising around here, but I recommend the latest one as he's got John Stensholt from the AFR to talk about the money behind Australian sport. The episode is more Titus interviewing Stensholt about the sports business:

https://titusoreily.com/podcast/titus-and-sergios-variety-hour-special-guest-john-stensholt

Stensholt is a good journo, he's done lots of good A-League money stuff

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

Holy crap, the Tigers VFL team beat North Ballarat by 188 points last week.

First of many for NB

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

realbez posted:

Whose going to ATDI at festival hall? Me

Fuckin did those go on sale

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
There's already enough bits that I like from the new stuff to convince me to go

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Beginning to think the Cats are actually the third best side in the comp. Damning indictment on the rest of the league

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Periphery posted:

Also, I want someone to take Selwood's head off one of these days. That is the only thing that will make up for years of his bullshit.

If you watched his game today and that was your take away you don't deserve to watch footy

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Ii haven't been to a game with better atmosphere than the Cats v Saints game at Etihad in 09 when both teams were 13-0. It was insane

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, but that was like the second best home-and-away game of the 00s (best was the huge comeback by Essendon against North) so that's understandable.

IMO it's the best home and away game ever played. Two absolute heavyweights swinging haymakers.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

markgreyam posted:

Adelaide are an objectively good team and Richmond are an objectively meh team.

It's just that with frustratingly predicable consistency Adelaide will inexplicably take a break for one of the four quarters of every goddamn game, and when it's the first quarter it's much more noticeable.

If your biggest problem is only dominating three quarters instead of four you're going ok.

Anyway I missed the second half because I was at the last half hour of the Melbourne Victory game but it looks like the same old Richmond story to me - go missing completely as soon as the whips crack. As soon as the going gets tough their on-field leaders disappear

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Spedman posted:

I'm not sure of the positives other than money for Fyfe for going to St Kilda:

- Playing in front of smaller crowds
- Training facilities nowhere near as good as Freo's new headquarters
- Less money for coaching etc
- Less financially stable club
- Separation from family and friends

St Kilda are further down the redevelopment path, but getting Fyfe in would probably hinder that as St Kilda would have to give up their first rounders next year to get him.
Far more chance of winning a flag at the Saints than Freo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Geelong won't finish below Richmond or Port. I reckon it'll be another top four finish and prelim exit for us

• Locked thread