Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
What a performance by Cameron - was thinking of you every one of those five goals, Chairchucker :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I only started following football around 2000/2001 so I've never actually seen my team in the Grand Final. I'm so excited :allears:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fitzy often gets BT'd after Crows games and he always looks and sounds like he's put down a dozen beers and screamed himself hoarse, hahaha.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

The first two times Adelaide went to a grand final, number 23 won the Norm Smith.

Just a thought.

Counterpoint: The most recent time Adelaide won a grand final, number 13 was BOG.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It seems to happen each year, players retiring and then going to another club for one more year.

Why not just stay at their old club if they're able to play on? Were the Hawks really pushing Hodge out the door?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
What a piece of poo poo Stringer is. And loving stupid, too, how could you possibly think you're not going to get found out cheating with multiple young women when you're a famous footballer? Of course it was going to get back to Abby.

Wonder how long before he hits rock bottom and realises how badly he's hosed up.

Anyway, in happier news, I get to watch my second Crows grand final of the year tomorrow :3: I'm so excited! And kinda nervous. For some reason I'm more confident in this match than I was for the finals against GWS and Geelong, even though I expect it will be much closer than either of those matches were. But anything can happen on the day.

Please win Crows :pray:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I haven't had the heart to read the last ten pages, but are people complaining about the umpiring?

There were a couple of shocking decisions, but when you go down by that margin, you can't blame umpiring. We just got smashed through the middle of the ground and it stopped us from really being able to do anything at all. We could have been gifted thirty extra frees and it wouldn't have helped.

Hope the boys can back up and have another go next year :smith:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

spamman posted:

Chin up buddy, you'll be back. Hopefully this is the foundation for the next tilt.

Cheers mate, hope you're right. I just keep thinking of Port making the GF in 2007 with a young, exciting list and then disappearing off the map for a decade. Obviously 119 and all but still, this was a pretty comprehensive loss in the end. Hopefully the frustration fuels the side and this is the start of something big, rather than a lone chance gone begging.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
So I've been on a self-imposed footy media exile since the Grand Final, other than loosely hearing that Lever is out and Cameron wants a trade which we're not granting. Finally figured I should be a big boy and face up to footy again.

Did Lever seriously dump his Crows gear in a literal dump? Hahahahaha, what a tosser. I'm really bummed about him leaving, even though it's been effectively known for months now. He's a great player and we're going to miss him. I hope Doedee or someone similar can step into his shoes.

If Cameron does want to leave I think the Crows are making a massive mistake not trading him this year when we can get a good return for him. Better than doing it next year when he's out of contract and is only interested in going to one or two clubs at most in Queensland. Mind you, I guess if we are potentially in a premiership window it would be a shame to lose one of our few players with genuine x-factor now.

I wish players didn't want to leave the Crows so often :smith: Actually, I don't even mind it so much, players are going to move around and that's unavoidable, but I just don't get why it never seems to come back the other way. Doesn't seem fair :saddowns:

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 6, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yes? I mean, I get it, he's not playing for the Crows anymore, but you'd think you'd want to keep things like your club gear for posterity's sake. Even though he won't finish his career at the Crows, he started it there, surely he'd still like some keepsakes from that in 20 years time? I mean, he could get a nasty injury in preseason and never play again, and he just threw away the only gear he's ever appeared in at AFL level. Seems weird to me, anyway. Kind of spiteful.

Regarding club culture and stuff, it's difficult for me to say obviously since I'm biased and also not in the inner circle, but I've always had the impression the culture at Adelaide is pretty good. Very few of the players are known ratbags (at least by AFL standards), the playing group seems pretty close, and we're relatively successful both off-field and on-field. Players like Cameron and Lever haven't exactly been starved of opportunities. Our coaches are respected and not known to be firecrackers, and the playing group has been through some tough times that have helped them to bond. And we play every second match at one of the best grounds in the country in front of 45k-50k supporters. Not sure what would be missing in terms of culture.

At the same time, it's hard to argue with a record of Bock, Davis, Gunston, Tippett, Dangerfield, Lever, Cameron in the last decade. I'm sure I'm missing someone too. And again, I don't mind players leaving, but it's frustrating that we never seem to attract stars back. Eddie Betts is the obvious exception, but outside of him the only players we ever get back are bit part players at other clubs that we manage to turn into good players, ie Lynch, Jacobs, Jenkins, Seedsman, etc. And even in Jacobs' case he chose Port, they just didn't want him.

In the meantime Port seem to have been able to attract genuine established players or potential stars of the future like Ryder, Dixon, Polec, etc, while keeping seemingly anyone rumoured to be considering leaving.

There's an argument that our pay structure isn't conducive to retaining stars, since we seem to prefer to pay our bottom 22 players a bit more than average and our top 22 players a bit less.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 7, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

You do remember there was a 20% pay increase this year right?

He would literally be the highest paid player at the Crows. $800k is a drat big contract.

Do people really think that the Crows hosed around with the votes to keep Lever out the top ten, or is it just more sticking the boots into the Crows? At this point I genuinely can't tell the difference :smith:

In any event, him not finishing top ten in the B&F is not really reflective of his ability, those votes are typically given more to players in demanding roles. He's a young player who was playing as a loose defender, missed a bunch of games, and when injuries dictated that he have an opponent he generally got beaten. Don't get me wrong, I think creative talls who can read the play and use the ball are underrated in footy circles, but I'm not surprised to see his B&F results weren't that high, and it's not as though there are any standout names in the top ten that smell bad. I know it's easy to forget after our dismal GF appearance, but we had a pretty drat good year with a good spread of players playing well.

gay picnic defence posted:

here they are expecting 2 first round picks for a bloke who isn't even among the top 10 players at the club

I mean, if we're to believe the stories (which mostly sound like tabloid fluff to be honest) of the Crows list manager silently walking out the room, Melbourne's initial offer was a 1st and a 2nd, so it's not like two firsts is outrageous.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 7, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

On the one hand I want to keep Charlie Cameron because he's my dude, but on the other hand if you love someone set them free or whatever

Yeah, I don't like it. Not because of any sense of "if you love someone set them free", but if he's going to leave next year anyway we should strike while the iron is hot. Brisbane have good draft picks, he's just come off arguably his best match ever in the prelim, and he's under contract so we can demand a good trade. Not sure that's worth throwing away for one more year of a player that doesn't want to be here.

I really hope it's not just a case of the Crows trying desperately to avoid the "oh, another player leaving?" story.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

According to Hutchy and Barrett on their podcast, BT was the one who actually rang clubs on Lever's behalf to gauge their interest in him early in the season, and orchestrated the move.

So yeah, pretty sure we'll never see Roaming Brian again.

Does Lever know BT outside of footy or something? Because I can't envision a scenario where this happened just because BT just randomly thought "OH BOY WOWEE LET'S GET THE CHAMPION FISTER BACK HOME!" and started placing calls.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Charlie Cameron has ruled out extending his contract beyond 2018, which would make it incredibly stupid of Adelaide not to trade him this year imo while they still have more pull

Where did he rule it out? Not doubting it, just wondering where it is.

Agreed that we should definitely trade him this year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

We should, but I think they're still starstruck by what he could be, rather than what he is, especilly if we can get a first round pick for him.

On the other hand, Gibbs isn't happening, so maybe we'd rather keep the experienced player one more year than be recycled into yet another new draftee who won't contribute for 2-3 seasons, which we seem to be doing ad nauseum - nobody from 2016 or 2015 has made a dent yet bar Greenwood from the Cat b list, and only Lever and McGovern have from 2014

You could argue Alex Keath (2015) is primed to play more footy given that Lever is now gone. Mind you, I'm not sure what the plans are with regards to that. He was in as a replacement for Hartigan this season, will they play him as a replacement for Lever? Or go with Doedee/Otten/someone else instead?

Keath is quick enough to play the role but we do start to look at bit top-heavy.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Looks like the Lever trade has finished up.

Crows give Lever, pick 35 and their 2018 third round selection.

Melbourne give pick 10, and their 2018 first and fourth round selections.

Guess both sides will be relatively happy. Crows get to claim they got two first round picks, while Melbourne who originally wanted to give a first and a second effectively just upped that second round pick to a first in exchange for a second round pick this year and a small pick upgrade next year.

Hopefully everyone can move on now.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It's not really that bad, is it?

In terms of overall value, it's pretty close to the value of the original offer of a first and a second, with the added bonus that the Dees won't have to pick too deep in this year's draft by getting back an extra second round pick. And the Dees should be eyeing up a top 8 spot next year so they wouldn't expect that 2018 first round pick to be exceptional.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

It's actually absolute garbage for a third year out of contract player who declared he wasn't going anywhere else. No surprise given how we have handled the Watts situation though.

Don't think the third year bit is really relevant, he's clearly playing like a seasoned player. I get what you mean about out-of-contract player who had chosen a club, though.

I don't know, it feels roughly right to me but obviously I'm biased.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Good old Gimpey :allears: He'll do alright at Hawthorn. Very much a player who can add some cream to a list rather than form a vital cog but he's alright for effectively a second round pick.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

You lose 2 years on Dean Gore too but weren't whinging about that for the past 2 weeks

You obviously haven't been on the Adelaide Bigfooty forums for the past two years.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The AFL probably just feels bad that they accidentally let Geelong trade away more first round picks than they were supposed to. Only fair that they get one back!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Spedman posted:

The AFLW are yet to decide if a transgender player is eligible to be picked for next season. Hannah Mouncey is 27, 190cm, 100kg, and began her transition 2 years ago:

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/womens-afl/transgender-footballer-hannah-mouncey-nominates-for-aflw-draft-20171013-gz0a5e

Definitely an awkward one purely due to the height, but this kind of thing isn't unusual in world sports. As far as I'm aware, there is already a standard set at Olympic level, I would assume the same could be adopted here. From what little I know of the issue, trans women have a considerably lower testosterone level than cis women and there is an upper limit they need to sit underneath. By and large, trans women have less strength and endurance than cis women of the same size - obviously, 200cm women weighing 100kg are very rare, but still. It is also common for trans women to gain fat during the start of their transition which might account for the 100kg.

In any event, as SS says, she's already playing in a woman's competition and meets testosterone guidelines so at the very least she should be allowed to play. That won't stop people from making it a miserable experience for her though :( She can look forward to being called a man, a predator, and whatever else throughout the season. At least it will be an opportunity for some people to have a discussion about trans issues, though. Maybe some spectators will get a bit more educated on the subject.

Kind of amazing that within two season of AFLW we could have the league's first openly gay and the league's first openly transgendered player. The men's comp has some catching up to do!

Edit: Kirsti Phillips, who has been an activist for trans women in sports for years, has been posting on Bigfooty about the issue and has been doing her best to handle questions and deal with assholes for the last year or two. She's got the patience of a saint to deal with some of the crap that gets posted at her, but she's also helped a lot of people to understand trans issues a lot better too. She started a thread about Hannah Mouncey last month. If you want to learn more about trans women in sports and can handle every second poster in the thread being a loving cockhead about it, the thread is here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/first-transgender-player-in-the-aflw.1176380/

Solemn Sloth posted:

It'd be funny if Perkins put him in hospital.

THIS I can definitely get behind!

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 16, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also, Fox Sports seems to indicate that Hannah is 190cm rather than 200cm, which is obviously a massive difference (not that it should have any impact on whether or not she can play).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/transgender-footballer-hannah-mouncey-waits-on-aflw-draft-call/news-story/123a463e71aa3c4b9bbd634724ce8f75

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

190 is still pretty loving tall. I'm above average and she still has about four cms on me.

It's tall but it's not unheard of. GWS have Erin McKinnon who is 189cm tall.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Emma King is the tallest in the AFLW at 186cm.

So yeah, 190 and 100kg is still big. So she's eligible so unless the AFL postpone the draft... when they've known about the issue for a few months now.

As I pointed out earlier, Erin McKinnon is 189cm. But yes, I agree that Hannah is tall for the comp.

Again, from my limited understanding, height and frame is the one performance-related aspect that isn't reduced to roughly cis woman levels when a trans woman transitions. Of course, if it's a sport where height and frame are massive advantages, there is an argument that it is unfair. But there can be plenty of reasons for a woman to be tall. I'd argue that Netball is probably one of the sports where height provides the most dramatic advantage, and there are women playing netball who are well over 2m tall.

In AFL news, the Crows have apparently picked up Ben Hart as an assistant coach. He was at the Crows around a decade ago, then coached at Collingwood for five years. He obviously didn't impress all that much because after they dropped him he took up a radio gig for a year. Not sure what role he'll play at the Crows yet.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Glad to see McLeod join up with our AFLW side, good to keep him in the fold :)

Speaking of tall women, this article talks about a 2.08m netball player, that's loving huge (same height as Max Gawn, for comparison). She's from Sri Lanka but is playing in Australia.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...5aba44244943f96

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 16, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds like an opaque system designed to move Tex Perkins back to Victoria

Fortunately, other than Tex, the Crows should be relatively unscathed by that ruling since we'll still be the only team in either SA or NT.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes but diluting the rest of the comp while leaving the first premiers almost untouched doesn't play nearly as well into conspiracy victim bullshit.

You realise that other than NTRabbit nobody actually talks about Vic bias and AFL conspiracy theories on here, right?

Edit: Hm.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
So wait, have the AFL given any details about how the "you must give players to other AFLW clubs" thing will work other than saying it will be based on a rating system? Like, do the players need to agree to move? Do the recipient clubs need to accept what is offered or can they negotiate? Is there a quota which must be met in terms of giving away players (don't see how the non-Vic clubs are going to manage that)? Is there a trade period following it?

Some details would be nice.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Feel for Hannah. I guess I can see the AFL's point in that with such a young comp, the last thing they need is a controversy. But it still feels pretty drat discriminatory to disallow someone who would be allowed at Olympic level.

Port with some serious Moneyball trading this draft. Watts for 31, and Motlop and Rockliff for no draft picks. Considering they traded themselves out of the first round, they've brought in some serious experience there. All three are players who have played below their potential for a while, if Port can get the most out of them they'll be a serious force in 2018.

Mind you, the same could have been said for Impey, Ah Chee and Trengove.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 17, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I love the AFLW and want to get excited about the draft, but it's kind of strange when I know that no other club can take the SA/NT girls and the Crows can pretty much only recruit from them. So it's just a case of reading out the names in order of preference.

I understand why it is that way, but it does make the draft a bit boring for the non-Victorian clubs.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Whether or not the Crows are premiership threats next year has more to do with the rest of the comp than it does with us, I reckon. I don't think Gibbs would have made the difference this year, nor would losing Lever or Cameron to be honest. If Gibbs comes in we improve in one position, and with Lever out we get worse in another. Cameron brings a point of difference but is replaceable. Other than Betts, none of our regular players are getting old. Brodie Smith missing next season with his ACL sucks but Seedsman will play his role after having missed most of 2017. We should be roughly as good next year as we were this year.

We were fortunate that this year several sides seemed to slide down the ladder and have bad patches. If that continues next year we should be around the mark again. If a couple of other sides take big strides, I don't see us holding them back.

Edit: All that being said, there is scope for improvement in the Crows if everything goes right. Outside of the first couple of months, Betts and Sloane both had down years, and Walker had the yips when kicking for goal all year long.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 18, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Feels like a lot, but if Carlton end up terrible next year as well it's not a bad trade.

I'll crosspost my armchair analysis of the Crows' trade period from Bigfooty:

quote:

Assuming we end up trading Cameron for 20, our trade period looks like this:

Out: Lever, Cameron, Wigg, Pick 16, Pick 35, 2018 2nd, Pick 54, 2018 3rd
In: Gibbs, 2018 1st (Melbourne), Pick 20, 2018 2nd (Carlton), Pick 39, 2018 3rd (Carlton), 2018 4th (Melbourne), Pick 73

Eight commodities in, eight commidities out. Lining them up:

Lever -> Gibbs (loss but we improve in an area of need)
Cameron -> 2018 1st (Melbourne) (win)
Wigg -> Pick 20 (major win)
Pick 16 -> 2018 2nd (Carlton) (if Carlton finish low and 2018 is stronger than this year, potentially a win)
Pick 35 -> Pick 39 (minor loss)
2018 2nd -> 2018 3rd (Carlton) (minor loss)
Pick 54 -> 2018 4th Melbourne (minor loss)
2018 3rd -> Pick 73 (minor loss)

In my mind it all depends on how you view Lever vs Gibbs. If you view them as an even exchange, then our trade week is effectively a win on the bigger commodities, for what amounts to small pick downgrades on late picks.

Just to make this a bit clearer, if the picks next year end up the same as this year:

Lever -> Gibbs (loss but we improve in an area of need)
Cameron -> 2018 Pick 10 (win)
Wigg -> Pick 20 (major win)
Pick 16 -> 2018 Pick 22 (if Carlton finish low and 2018 is stronger than this year, potentially a win)
Pick 35 -> Pick 39 (minor loss)
2018 Pick 36 -> 2018 Pick 40 (minor loss)
Pick 54 -> 2018 Pick 66 (minor loss)
2018 Pick 54 -> Pick 73 (minor loss)

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 19, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, it's really strange. They don't even have the "missing piece of the puzzle" argument to fall back on. I guess they figure they need some experience to replace Ablett?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I've never understood how that on-trading thing on draft night can possibly be a good idea. Because it would be "more exciting?" Sure, so would a bomb threat. Doesn't make it a good idea.

Seems like the kind of thing that will happen once or twice at most and then everyone will give it massive scrutiny and clubs will be loathe to do it ever again.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I've heard the "Melbourne would have drafted Lever if they'd had a chance" thing before. Seems like an easy throwaway line to me. Melbourne had two picks before the Crows took Lever, and then not another one until pick 40. Unless they were going to pass on one of Brayshaw or Petracca, it's pretty clear they were never going to be drafting him.

It would be like the Crows luring Andrew McGrath over and then saying "oh we would have drafted you in 2016 if we'd had the chance". No poo poo, but they were never going to.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2017

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows fixture looks pretty good, too. Six Friday night games, another two Thursday night games which we seem to be keen on owning, ten Saturday games (7 night, 3 twilight), and only four Sunday games.

We double up against Richmond, Port, Melbourne, GWS and Carlton.

Most importantly we've managed to avoid the "worst game of the year" Demons at the MCG fixture despite playing them twice in 2018!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The Crows delisted Cameron Ellis-Yolmen and offered to rookie him if no one else picks him up first. I think he's another state league level player, but some Adelaide fans still think he would have been the next big thing but got crushed by assistant coaches playing favourites.

We've also committed to taking Jackson Edwards as a f/s in the rookie draft, but since there's a few more days before you have to declare whether your f/s nominations are going to be national or rookie draft, it might still be an ambit claim to shake potential bidders loose.

CEY is an AFL-caliber player but only just. Realistically he's probably a poor mans Jarryd Lyons or Sam Kerridge and we were happy to let both of them go. Question marks over whether he'll still be any good after his reco, too, was already pretty slow beforehand. Rookie list sounds about right. Still, could be handy depth if we get some injuries in our midfield next year.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

He's already got two, so I'm picturing a 4 EDDIEBETTS forward line 20 years from now.

Or if they're twin girls, that's a 2 EDDIEBETTS forward line per team!

Dual Sarah Perkins Medal winners guaranteed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Yeah, I pretty much have a built-in switch where if I recognise that footy is making me miserable, I just stop paying attention to it for a while. I still watch all the matches and turn into a draft nerd every November, but I haven't exactly been looking for excuses to think about the Crows since the Grand Final, for example.

I can't imagine getting obsessed to the point where I'm sending actual threats in the mail to a player. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to.

• Locked thread