Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TinTower posted:

Congratulations for reading justice4assange.com.

1) He is not wanted for questioning; he is wanted for arrest. Swedish criminal procedure requires an arrest prior to the charge being made. The British courts not only agreed the warrant was valid, but also that the actions alleged were rape under British law.
2) The Swedish government cannot constitutionally guarantee non-extradition, as it would be an executive overreach into an independent judiciary. Regardless, any extradition request served to Sweden whilst he is in Swedish custody requires both the consent of the UK and Sweden.

Honestly, think about it: if the US wanted to extradite Assange, why didn't they send the request straight to the UK, instead of using the Swedes accuse him of a crime that is notoriously hard to prosecute, especially when the UK is happier to extradite based on political offences than Sweden?

Critical thinking is hard!

Your post reminded me that there were some rumors that Assange had been compromised and/or assassinated last week. I never found out the source of those rumors. Can anyone point to some information about that? Or is it just the November rumors re-kindled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Party Plane Jones posted:

Question is, is her dishonorable discharge going to follow her past the name change (is her name even changed legally yet?)

It's not like she's an ordinary private figure. Every publicized detail of Chelsea Manning's life, from the leak to the discharge to the suicide watch, will follow her forever. Doesn't really matter if the dd214 is correct.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Putting aside Manning being transgender, I still don't quite understand why so many conservative citizens have a hate-on for an anti-government whistleblower. If you already distrust the government, shouldn't someone who not only verifies that the government is untrustworthy, but also provides evidence supporting this be an ally, if not a hero?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
But ARE TROOPS :bahgawd: are the ones you gotta get your guns ready to defend against during The Purge, right? I'm probably getting my factions confused, but... if you think you need small arms to defend against unconstitutional enforcement of martial law and the final erection of a tyrannical despot, then the people you're prepared to kill are state and federal troops.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bag em and tag em posted:

No. Are troops are the good boys. Liberals have a whole other secret army ready to kick in your door.

I... what?

evilweasel posted:

This is probably why they're all obsessed with the UN's black helicopters and secret storm troopers.

Oh, of course. This army.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bag em and tag em posted:

Let the cognitive dissonance flow through you and wash away your doubts.

I know I probably hold some similarly absurd beliefs that I simply just don't recognize as this batshit when considered side by side, yet... it's hard for me to figure out this perspective.

Obama's now commuted more sentences than any previous president. He's granted the relief of presidential clemency to 1,597 people. Yet his administration has prosecuted 8 cases for violations of the 1917 Espionage Act. Only 4 cases were prosecuted under that law before Obama took office.

Though he promised more protections for whistleblowers in his '08 campaign, passed the 2012 Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, and issued Presidential Policy Directive 19, which extended more protections to intelligence personnel, his 8 years seem to have been unusually brutal in terms of persecuting leaks. What really exacerbates the sense of this heavy-handedness is how unevenly those leaks were punished. Ranking insiders seem to have been shielded (Petraeus, anyone?), but nobodies like Snowden and Manning are publicly sacrificed. I don't know that the 8 years of this administration (if you can really say it's 8 continuous years of one administration, sitting president and veep aside) have actually been harder on whistleblowers, and I don't know if there's a reliable way to measure that, but it sure seems that way.

It never feels good to look at your government and see a commitment to protecting wrong-doers by punishing people who thought they were doing the right thing by publicizing misdeeds. I don't expect anything better from the Trump administration or any future administration, but it's also just insulting to see an administration receive eight years of having it both ways -- talking about transparency and justice while delivering little of either. If I've got a beef with President Obama, that's the heart of it.

welp that's my story, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

You're confusing two different types of whistleblowing here, and the distinction is really, really important. There are whistleblowers who circumvent the normal chain of command and report suspected misconduct to a higher authority within the government, and there are whistleblowers who believe that something the government is doing is morally wrong and leak it openly to the public. The Whistleblower Protection Act, the Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act, PPD-19, and other whistleblower protection laws only protect the first kind of whistleblowing - they're meant to protect whistleblowers from being retaliated against by their superiors for reporting problems and misconduct to their supervisors' bosses. There isn't any US law, as far as I'm aware, that protects the second type of whistleblowing - as far as the US government is concerned, going public with classified information is always unacceptable. And honestly, that makes a lot of sense from the government's perspective. If secrecy laws stop applying as soon as someone who looks at the material feels it shouldn't be secret, then secrecy laws might as well not exist. Nobodies get cracked down on harder because there are over four million people with security clearances, which means it's a lot harder to keep watch on the nobodies than the top rankers, so the government makes examples of them because it knows there's no way it can handle a wave of copycat crimes.

Now, I realize there are people who think that government secrecy shouldn't exist at all, but that's an entirely separate discussion.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Those are big distinctions.

• Locked thread