Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Looking back on it I don't think Obama took a single risk his entire presidency, political or otherwise. The closest he got was to sort of halfway make a stand for federal gun control after Sandy Hook which was obviously retarded.

E:his presidency

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

Looking back on it I don't think Obama took a single risk his entire prescience, political or otherwise. The closest he got was to sort of halfway make a stand for federal gun control after Sandy Hook which was obviously retarded.

p much. Only time he wasn't was during this past election where he stopped giving a gently caress,and even then he held back a lot

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
uh bipartisanship is uh the cornerstone of uh uh uh our nation... and therefore uh...

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
:dukedoge:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/821474972757467136

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

He pardoned Chelsea on his way out the door and after his party already lost everything. He is a coward

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Pushing for the TPP even after it was clearly harming Democratic election chances was a pretty bold move.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Oh yeah lol you are right! That's two principled stands, both of them made on a pile of dogshit

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

He stated once he didn't want to be the angry black man, but thats kind of what we wanted.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Murdering Bin Laden was probably the biggest risk he took.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
at some point all of this popular stuff he is doing that is good he is going to realize he could have done it day one after his re-election and he's going to be sad

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It would have been real cool to have pardoned Manning a few years ago when he was still going to be around to defend the decision and use the Office of the President to extend the protections that she will undoubtedly need.

I mean, I applaud the decision, good job Obama, it was just done in the most spineless manner possible.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

"I want to be a transformative figure in political history, opposition party, are you with me!?!" he says with extremely mild enthusiasm.

"gently caress no we're not!" responds Senator McTurtleface, his skin flapping in the breeze.

Furrowing his brow, Obama thinks to himself, "Huh, in Chicago everyone's taking the same bribes, I figured it'd work the same here!."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Kingfish posted:

Oh yeah lol you are right! That's two principled stands, both of them made on a pile of dogshit

Uhhhm, he also went against his own party to try and strike a grand bargain on cutting social security. It's not his fault those drat Tea Partiers obstructed him.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mister Obama
what is bipartisanship?
a bitchmade leader

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Guantanamo Bay?
Obama sits; hands templed
a clear Pashtun sky.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Obama could have
been really good imo
instead of so-so

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

He pardoned Chelsea on his way out the door and after his party already lost everything. He is a coward

And she's not even getting out for months.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

She would have never been pardoned if Clinton won, at least under Obama.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

She would have never been pardoned if Clinton won, at least under Obama.

Eh. Theres no love lost between Hillary and Obama. He might have pardoned Chelsea anyways.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Barry O did run as the anti-risk candidate a bit .. .

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I can relate to Obama because I too am a risk-adverse coward.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Dude should've started some wars instead of trying to fix the economy and healthcare apparently.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

eggyolk posted:

Dude should've started some wars instead of trying to fix the economy and healthcare apparently.

Fixing the economy and healthcare would have been pretty cool projects for him to work on. Shame.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Turns out there's a penalty to your legacy when you conduct yourself every step of the way only thinking about your legacy. People who said he wasn't ready back in 08 were honestly 100% spot on. Obama needed another decade to find his own voice and belief system.

He was a really, really good administrator though. Like if the system actually worked he'd probably go down as a five star spicy sort of president.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

obama would have been a good president if presidents were for 20 years and not 8

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

obama would have been a good president if presidents were for 20 years and not 8

The best form of government is a benevolent dictator who has your best interests in mind. The worst form of government is a malevolent tyrant who actively hates you. The problem is its a bit of a coin flip which one you get, so we keep terms short on purpose.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

when your senate majority relies on joe lieberman its kind of hard to implement full communism now

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

eggyolk posted:

insane post from the parallel universe where Obama didn't already do exactly this, lol

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

Murdering Bin Laden was probably the biggest risk he took.

That was a huge risk. Intelligence never saw bin laden there for sure. He invaded an allied country (Pakistan) without telling them. And one helicopter crashed. If things went bad, he would have been a one term president. So all things said, it was a huge risk. And if you think about it, he didn't even have to do it. He could have just watched a little longer; it wasn't an immediate threat the US.

Also he saved the auto industry, a move which was really questionable at the time and had a lot of detractors.

ACA was a huge risk that he lost since a poo poo load of democratic congressmen loss their seats after voting for it, and the Democrats eventually lost control of both houses because of it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

murdering bin laden was cool because i learned that it happened from john cena

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Killing bin laden was dumb but glad it didn't backfire since he had become irrelavent

I think making shitstain bosses pay their salaried employees overtime was objectively good but literally nothing else can I think of was handled expertly

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A good man, a bad president

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Obama definitely took some questionable risks that are not often talked about in the mainstream media, because they're neocon and archconservative risks that don't fit with the narrative of a left-leaning Democratic Party, for example:
- created a flying robot army to terminate his enemies from the sky
- that's the main one
- the flying robots still answer to him... but for how long...
- they are monsters and there is no way to defeat them
- last Thursday, for the first time, when Obama went to slap one of the robots, the robot held up a tiny robot arm and blocked the blow in defiance

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The more I found out about the Bin Laden raid the more that I came to realize how special Obama is. The Bin Laden raid took a lot of guts because the downside risk was so great--so many things could have gone wrong including but not limited to Pakistan F-16's shooting down the helicopters or American jets shooting down Pakistani jets to defend the helos, the SEAL team taken captive, the whole SEAL team dying, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden was never really there, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden got away, the Seal team walked into a trap, a shitload of civilians getting killed in the operation, etc....

And the thing is, a shitload of advisors, including Biden, told him not to do it. He could have just walked away from it and nobody would have faulted him. Certainly the American public would never have known. If he cared about himself or his own image, his own legacy, he certainly wouldn't have done it. but he went ahead with it anyway, and like a gangster went to the correspondence dinner like nothing was going on. I'm convinced that he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for his country, and was willing to risk his own legacy. And you look at all the other decisions he's made since then, and you will see it's always driven by what he thinks is best for the country, even if it puts his own image or legacy at risk. Even more amazing to me is that he was maybe 48-49 at the time. If you take into consideration the time he spent in law school, there's no way that he could have ever encountered a situation previously that prepared him for something like this.

Like I said, I voted for him in 2008, but at the time I wasn't a real big fan. Since then, I have been amazed at how courageous, self-sacrificing, and how dignified he is. I feel lucky that he is (until this Friday) our president.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

not necessarily a "bad" president as far as presidents go, he did the basics of his job fine, largely maintained the american empire despite much of the world sinking into an abyss. he'll be remembered as a largely competent, above average president but with no real long term achievements. a temporary stopgap in the decline of the american empire thats about to hit the pedal to the metal.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

The more I found out about the Bin Laden raid the more that I came to realize how special Obama is. The Bin Laden raid took a lot of guts because the downside risk was so great--so many things could have gone wrong including but not limited to Pakistan F-16's shooting down the helicopters or American jets shooting down Pakistani jets to defend the helos, the SEAL team taken captive, the whole SEAL team dying, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden was never really there, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden got away, the Seal team walked into a trap, a shitload of civilians getting killed in the operation, etc....

And the thing is, a shitload of advisors, including Biden, told him not to do it. He could have just walked away from it and nobody would have faulted him. Certainly the American public would never have known. If he cared about himself or his own image, his own legacy, he certainly wouldn't have done it. but he went ahead with it anyway, and like a gangster went to the correspondence dinner like nothing was going on. I'm convinced that he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for his country, and was willing to risk his own legacy. And you look at all the other decisions he's made since then, and you will see it's always driven by what he thinks is best for the country, even if it puts his own image or legacy at risk. Even more amazing to me is that he was maybe 48-49 at the time. If you take into consideration the time he spent in law school, there's no way that he could have ever encountered a situation previously that prepared him for something like this.

Like I said, I voted for him in 2008, but at the time I wasn't a real big fan. Since then, I have been amazed at how courageous, self-sacrificing, and how dignified he is. I feel lucky that he is (until this Friday) our president.

Im not contesting that the Bin Laden raid required real grit and leadership. My main complaint is that I wish he'd shown that level of determination for his domestic policies.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
too bad murdering bin laden had basically no effect since al-qaeda is having a lot of success saying 'ughhh, gently caress isis amirite, we're much more moderate'

meanwhile, he also had Gaddafi killed and Libya immediately self-destructed into anarchy, whoops

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gyra_Solune posted:

too bad murdering bin laden had basically no effect since al-qaeda is having a lot of success saying 'ughhh, gently caress isis amirite, we're much more moderate'

meanwhile, he also had Gaddafi killed and Libya immediately self-destructed into anarchy, whoops

Pretty sure Gaddafi would be dead and Libya would be in anarchy today with or without Obama's help

We might have sped the process up a year or two I guess. Maybe if they'd had time to overthrow Gaddafi organically they might have had a transition government ready?

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Jan 18, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Forgettable president. He was the first black president, and that's about all I expect to see in the history books aside from a footnote about the ACA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

He invaded an allied country (Pakistan) without telling them.

lool

• Locked thread