Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

It would have been real cool to have pardoned Manning a few years ago when he was still going to be around to defend the decision and use the Office of the President to extend the protections that she will undoubtedly need.

I mean, I applaud the decision, good job Obama, it was just done in the most spineless manner possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KaptainKrunk posted:

She would have never been pardoned if Clinton won, at least under Obama.

Eh. Theres no love lost between Hillary and Obama. He might have pardoned Chelsea anyways.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

eggyolk posted:

Dude should've started some wars instead of trying to fix the economy and healthcare apparently.

Fixing the economy and healthcare would have been pretty cool projects for him to work on. Shame.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

obama would have been a good president if presidents were for 20 years and not 8

The best form of government is a benevolent dictator who has your best interests in mind. The worst form of government is a malevolent tyrant who actively hates you. The problem is its a bit of a coin flip which one you get, so we keep terms short on purpose.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

The more I found out about the Bin Laden raid the more that I came to realize how special Obama is. The Bin Laden raid took a lot of guts because the downside risk was so great--so many things could have gone wrong including but not limited to Pakistan F-16's shooting down the helicopters or American jets shooting down Pakistani jets to defend the helos, the SEAL team taken captive, the whole SEAL team dying, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden was never really there, a poo poo load of people dying but Bin Laden got away, the Seal team walked into a trap, a shitload of civilians getting killed in the operation, etc....

And the thing is, a shitload of advisors, including Biden, told him not to do it. He could have just walked away from it and nobody would have faulted him. Certainly the American public would never have known. If he cared about himself or his own image, his own legacy, he certainly wouldn't have done it. but he went ahead with it anyway, and like a gangster went to the correspondence dinner like nothing was going on. I'm convinced that he did it because he thought it was the right thing to do for his country, and was willing to risk his own legacy. And you look at all the other decisions he's made since then, and you will see it's always driven by what he thinks is best for the country, even if it puts his own image or legacy at risk. Even more amazing to me is that he was maybe 48-49 at the time. If you take into consideration the time he spent in law school, there's no way that he could have ever encountered a situation previously that prepared him for something like this.

Like I said, I voted for him in 2008, but at the time I wasn't a real big fan. Since then, I have been amazed at how courageous, self-sacrificing, and how dignified he is. I feel lucky that he is (until this Friday) our president.

Im not contesting that the Bin Laden raid required real grit and leadership. My main complaint is that I wish he'd shown that level of determination for his domestic policies.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Saurus posted:

The United States and the UK forced Libya to admit to the Lockerbie bombing despite the fact it was actually Syria because Reagan was too scared to challenge Assad's Dad back in the 80s, and had told everyone how Gadaffi was a reformed man, and a good guy now. Libya was now an ally in the region, a secular power and a trading partner. Then they backstabbed him and his son because Clinton managed to convince Obama of the neocon nonsense she still has a hard on for after decades of failure caused by it.

Thats a whole lot of moving parts when US foreign policy in the region has typically been to swing a big dick around and dare someone to notice. Subtlety is not something I associate with US middle east policy. Like, this is the country who predicated a war with Iraq over the transparent accusation that they had WMDs. You would think the competent CIA you're hypothesizing here could have at least planted a few nuke parts here or there to save the embarrassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frijolero posted:

Hey remember when dumb rookie Donny Trump milked the hope of millions of Obama-weary Americans and then squandered his first 100 days because of his obvious ineptitude and garbage ideology?

The more things change

• Locked thread