Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
just saiyan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nah

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
what if the world was also a mistake, and the internet is a correction

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

4chan was a mistake in that it gave lovely nerds and the alt-right a platform

gently caress 4chan

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
computers were a mistake

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

logikv9 posted:

computers were a mistake

a fellow butlerian

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Social media was the mistake, internet's pretty fine. We never needed fifty different services to construct commemorative virtual monuments of our mediocrity with.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Daily reminder: Doxxing and targetted advertising are pretty much the same thing, just for different purposes

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
eh the world was hosed one way or another so its nice to have the internet soma to pacify me especially during these troubled times... :ohdear:

its not like if the internet never happened u'd magically be like 8yo again running around a playground u would most likely not feel much different from how u already do

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Daily reminder: Doxxing and targetted advertising are pretty much the same thing, just for different purposes

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
the internet is a good thing we got before we were old enough to handle it, much like antibiotics and the Haber process and publically traded companies

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Tracer Tong's way was right

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mariana Horchata posted:

its not like if the internet never happened u'd magically be like 8yo again running around a playground u would most likely not feel much different from how u already do

what if i am 8yo and the internet is my playground

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

a fellow butlerian

uh the Butlerians would have been pro-bot, traitor

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

The printing press probably caused more damage; the internet/social media/mobile phones are just the latest iterations in the classic information diffusal story

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

uh the Butlerians would have been pro-bot, traitor

incorrect! :goonsay:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The Internet is a device that shows humanity in its pure, disgusting, messy, horny, perverted and dumb glory

We got the Internet we deserved

I'm happy for it

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If you think it's bad now, wait until the turnkey surveillance state gets up and running. It was pretty tough to eliminate human creativity and joy with even the most brutal technologies of the past but the internet makes it a snap!

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
Yea the internet may embiggen the our problems sometimes, but can also largen the solutions

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4&t=60s

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

an ipod

a phone

an internet communicator

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
also we are literally ascending from the muck here with no guidance, we are going to get basically EVERYTHING wrong the first time, so I'm willing to cut us some slack

but not if we're gonna keep electing Hitler, that's a fool me twice can't get fooled again situation, we may not be what natured intended

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

turns out a global human hivemind was a bad idea

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when Facebook was just for kids that were in college

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

when one of those purposes is 'help people call you at 2am and threaten to rape you' and the other isnt its a pretty big difference tho

(obligatory telemarketer joke)

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Duscat posted:

also we are literally ascending from the muck here with no guidance, we are going to get basically EVERYTHING wrong the first time, so I'm willing to cut us some slack

but not if we're gonna keep electing Hitler, that's a fool me twice can't get fooled again situation, we may not be what natured intended

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY57ErBkFFE

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fallen Hamprince posted:

when one of those purposes is 'help people call you at 2am and threaten to rape you' and the other isnt its a pretty big difference tho

(obligatory telemarketer joke)
Dont think for one second advertising wouldn't go there if it moved product

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I accept the Internet and therefore humanity in spite of all it's flaws

8/10, would shitpost in again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

In the Masaaki Yuasa film Mind Game, God is represented as the collective mind of 2chan, and I think that's fairly accurate.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

4chan was a mistake in that it gave lovely nerds and the alt-right a platform

gently caress 4chan
so gently caress SA by extension, then?

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

the imageboards were bad but then twitter came along and said "i got this"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's like a modern-day Library of Alexandria, if the catalog was composed entirely of cat pictures and curated by insane retards.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
if only because it gave us your posts op

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009
the internet owns. it is us, the human race, which is the mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pure Blaxplotiation posted:

the internet owns. it is us, the human race, which is the mistake.
slipknot was right, people = poo poo

• Locked thread