Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Hell, even physical retail does it too. Last few going out of business “sales” I went to they just marked them all up to pretend you’re getting a good deal at 80% off.

When Circuit City in the US went out of business the one near me had already sold their entire inventory to a warehouse distributor. Everything in the store was essentially MSRP aside from a few bulky items they didn't want to bother shipping to their facilities when the store finally shuttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

codo27 posted:

Amazon does the same thing, it ain't just the China sites.

Amazon started showing Lowest price in 30 days so you can be sure* so gos job Amazon at stopping this lol...

*What they don't show is that with a coupon it's usually that price anyway or the 45% off is a penny less, and camel Camel camel can't track the coupons either so it's basically all a big job

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It's not -- you're just buying from crooks. In many jurisdictions, including the EU, this practice is illegal. So, buying from a regional seller protects me from this bullshit. Pester your representatives to make that happen in your jurisdiction, too.

lmao

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty sure that's illegal in the EU and stores seem to be pretty good about that. The supermarket I was in yesterday showed the lowest price in the last 30 days in addition to the current one, so you can tell how much of a sale it really is.

Aliexpress does have occasional legit sales but you have to "do your own research"

Kinda, but it’s gamed as far as it can be within the law. We do something called pre-promotional pricing where stock is bought in intended to be a sale item. A bunch of stores are designated some space for price establishment so they’ll sell them at full price for the minimum required time but the store doesn’t really expect to or care if they sell any. Then it’ll go out to all stores for the January sale or plinth end promo or whatever at the cheaper price. The store plans and budgets around only selling at that cheaper price but if someone happens to buy it for full price it’s a bonus.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like the "30 day lowest price" idea, I think it helps alot. Not sure about the mandated list price law, isn't it like car dealership MSPR price?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kemikalkadet posted:

Kinda, but it’s gamed as far as it can be within the law. We do something called pre-promotional pricing where stock is bought in intended to be a sale item. A bunch of stores are designated some space for price establishment so they’ll sell them at full price for the minimum required time but the store doesn’t really expect to or care if they sell any. Then it’ll go out to all stores for the January sale or plinth end promo or whatever at the cheaper price. The store plans and budgets around only selling at that cheaper price but if someone happens to buy it for full price it’s a bonus.
Interesting, thanks for sharing! I'll try to keep an eye out for this bullshit. I gues there's no airtight way to completely prevent assholes from gaming the system.

From pages back but while the "sale" is still ongoing, I remembered I was interested in the label printers like these Vixic ones:

stephenthinkpad posted:

So an update to the Vixic printer.

I didn't realized Brother themselves make 2 different tapes.

Old TZ tape (work on old TZ printer)
new TZe tapes (works on both old and new printers, but old tapes doesn't fit in new printers)
Aliexpress have both cheap aftermarket tapes, about $1.5-2 shipped.

So this Vixic machine's tape is just slightly mod of the TZe tape and break the compatibility slightly. You can kind of force an TZe tape into it and use your hand to hold the door shut.

But I played around and remove 2 notches inside the machine and now the TZe tape fits. Very easy to remove with a cutter. Also you may want to tape the insert sensor in the bottom to fool the machine.

sleepy gary posted:

Yes, I am certain. The cartridge contains separate spools of the backing material, the print material ("ink"), and the lamination material, usually clear. The print head transfers the print material onto the backing material and then the mechanism seals it with the top lamination.

Crack open a used cartridge and you can see everything you printed on the transfer ribbon.

In larger thermal transfer printers from companies like Zebra for high volume applications, there are separate transfer spools but not in any of these small label-style printers.
These printers are still available at regular prices, e.g. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005544383244.html

But the tapes are pretty expensive at $14 each. If I'm reading this right, the knockoff TZe tapes like these at $2 should work, right? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859235561.html

E: also seeing this one, has anyone tried it? It has $4 rolls of tape. It might be direct thermal though if it's that cheap?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004745207435.html

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 18, 2024

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

with shipping times the way they are, time to order your polar express hawaiian shirts

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like there might be some legit discounts on portable monitors.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006148208509.html

There's also a a :10bux: coupon (or 20 for more expensive monitors). This isn't something I followed before but $70 for a 2560x1600 monitor, including VAT and shipping, seems like a pretty decent deal.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
One thing I have in my cart actually went up $10 overnight. It’s not “on the sale” but still…
I was on the fence about it already, guess this makes it easy to not buy it.
Normally I like doing my research but this much extra checking feels like another job. Which I’m sure they’re delighted about.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

mobby_6kl posted:

But the tapes are pretty expensive at $14 each. If I'm reading this right, the knockoff TZe tapes like these at $2 should work, right? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32859235561.html

Yes, but like I said, you have to modify the printer.

quote:

E: also seeing this one, has anyone tried it? It has $4 rolls of tape. It might be direct thermal though if it's that cheap?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004745207435.html

Going by the design of the tape, it probably doesn't have weather proof lamination. Box shaped tape can put a layer of lamination after printing.

It's going to be more like those zink sticker photo printers.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Binger?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

People who binge eat according to the photo. I didn't know they prefer to communicate via walkie-talkies.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

People who use Bing as their primary search engine.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
This is weird, my account has been converted to a business account of some sort. I now have this button in the app.

This is what I see after clicking the button:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Time to do some serious business.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

:toot:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I ordered a witch king and three ring wraith lego minifigs. I got the witch king and three Sauron minifigs - which came with three golem microfigs. Win some, lose some I guess and I didn’t bother with a refund on it.

I also ordered two y-wings, two x-wings, and a tie fighter + tie advanced bandai models, like 1:144 scale or something. Package arrived short two x-wings. Refund was approved in about two hours - I was a bit worried with some of the recent posts in this thread but I guess the seller was honest. Of course now I can’t find another seller with them that cheap, so I’m poo poo out of luck right now.

Getting a lot of use out of my cheap little phone-sized ereader. I still need to root it (or whatever the android equivalent of that is) to be able to kill the default Chinese apps but they aren’t bothering me. I have the first page with my apps and they’re all on the second page where I don’t see them.

KOreader app, which I’m using for my non-kindle reading - and so far it’s about 98% of all my use - is a bit of a beast options-wise because it has menus and menus in menus and more menus of tweaks and settings but once it’s setup it’s really nice. And once it's setup you can just hit "make current settings default" and you're done for all books.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I paid for Moon+Reader a decade ago and could never go back to the kindle app now.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Bought a 10-pack of PLA ABS TPU PETG Filament Vacuum Bag With Handle Air Pump 3D Printer Filaments Storage Bag Dryer Keep 3D Printing Accessories, and this thingamajig called MKS SKIPR EMMC-ADAPTER V2 USB 3.0 Reader For MKS EMMC Module Micro SD TF Card MKS Pi MKS SKIPR 3D Printer Accessories.

Bought them on the 20th with free shipping, but interestingly the tracking numbers are already for Finnish Post, and not some random courier service like usual. And tracking claims they'll arrive on 25th, which would be really loving fast. I wonder what's up, it's not like these are some high-volume products that are ready to go from some AX central warehouse.. :crossarms:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

DRINK ME posted:

I ordered a witch king and three ring wraith lego minifigs. I got the witch king and three Sauron minifigs - which came with three golem microfigs. Win some, lose some I guess and I didn’t bother with a refund on it.

No, I will not show you how many of these I have. I haven’t yet managed a gollum minifig though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

JointHorse posted:

Bought a 10-pack of PLA ABS TPU PETG Filament Vacuum Bag With Handle Air Pump 3D Printer Filaments Storage Bag Dryer Keep 3D Printing Accessories, and this thingamajig called MKS SKIPR EMMC-ADAPTER V2 USB 3.0 Reader For MKS EMMC Module Micro SD TF Card MKS Pi MKS SKIPR 3D Printer Accessories.

Bought them on the 20th with free shipping, but interestingly the tracking numbers are already for Finnish Post, and not some random courier service like usual. And tracking claims they'll arrive on 25th, which would be really loving fast. I wonder what's up, it's not like these are some high-volume products that are ready to go from some AX central warehouse.. :crossarms:

oh hell yeah I could use some of those vacuum bags thx 4 posting

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PokeJoe posted:

oh hell yeah I could use some of those vacuum bags thx 4 posting

:same:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

JointHorse posted:

I have some of these.. they are much better than the Sunlu ones the sunlu ones are hit or miss as to which ones actually stay closed.

This style seems to have no issues.. this reminds me I need to order more soon because I'm nearly out.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

weird ali ad, with a picture of a possibly dead dog (I assumed they just used a picture of a sleeping one)

spechtie fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 27, 2024

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

can I set up like a vending machine that you just stuff the animal in and come back in 20 min and get your ashes out?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
It is rare, anymore, that I see anything in this thread that makes me raise an eyebrow.

My eyebrow was raised.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Disappointed that they didn't go the old C64 Swiss Family Robinson route and use a regular old photo/clip-art of a dog, but upside down.

It would look less like a real dog and upset me less. :(

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

aw didnt mean to upset anyone. I'll spoiler the image.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I sent the image to my veterinarian girlfriend and she simply replied "oh god"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spechtie posted:

lol

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

it genuinely didnt occur to me that it would be a picture of an actual dead dog :doh:

spechtie fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

spechtie posted:

Oh, geez, you're fine. I'm not that delicate a flower. I just did a "tch, aw :(“ when I saw it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like one of those stuffed toys and its stuffing

https://packaged-media.redd.it/b4fd...f2a77739245#t=0
There was one with a dog but I can't find it now. Even the machine looks vaguely like that at a glanace

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

spechtie posted:

it genuinely didnt occur to me that it would be a picture of an actual dead dog :doh:

it's just a stock photo of a sleeping dog though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

I sent the image to my veterinarian girlfriend and she simply replied "oh god"

later she asked how much it cost. link the dog burner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous