Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

That says "microwave oven", do they not melt somehow when anywhere near a 400+ degree oven?

e: and I'm talking about regular fabric oven mitts, like those cheap Marvel branded infinity gauntlet mitts that melted and burned people

https://help.lootcrate.com/hc/en-us/articles/210786983-NOTICE-May-2016-Marvel-Infinity-Gauntlet-Oven-Mitt

Burned by lootcrate again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
easiest job in the world right here

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

King Vidiot posted:

That says "microwave oven", do they not melt somehow when anywhere near a 400+ degree oven?

e: and I'm talking about regular fabric oven mitts, like those cheap Marvel branded infinity gauntlet mitts that melted and burned people

https://help.lootcrate.com/hc/en-us/articles/210786983-NOTICE-May-2016-Marvel-Infinity-Gauntlet-Oven-Mitt

Haha my friend works in marketing and gets all these subscription crates sent to her every month so she ends up giving all that stuff out to colleagues. She gave me that oven glove and it is indeed loving terrible at functioning as an oven glove.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Very good day, sale-wise, to get very good gift: a storm glass.

I've been watching these, today's the day of deals where this one is concerned. Ships by e-Packet too.

e: also, generally, if something is greyed out on your wishlist, there's no need to remove it right now. They're doing that to stop orders during New Year's.

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 24, 2017

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Please never give in to the cult of kitchen do-dads. It's a rabbit hole you will never climb out of. A kitchen avalanched by plastic crap. You'll break up with your addict and he'll want you to take half of his kitchen hoard.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Astrobastard posted:

Yes I bought an LED RGB Lightbulb with built in Bluetooth speaker after seeing one at my friends place and it is rad as gently caress.

Got a link for this? Can't seem to find it (unless they don't ship to the UK)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rockybar posted:

Maybe not the exact same one but in the UK you can buy Bluetooth speaker lightbulbs in asda.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is the only one I saw
http://s.aliexpress.com/nYvqqIFJ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bethamphetamine posted:

Please never give in to the cult of kitchen do-dads. It's a rabbit hole you will never climb out of. A kitchen avalanched by plastic crap. You'll break up with your addict and he'll want you to take half of his kitchen hoard.

I'd say it depends on the item. I don't have or need most of those things, but drat I am fond of the onion-holder. I am not good at dicing onions and this makes it much easier to dice the onions that need dicing.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

My sister bought what was advertised as a 1TB usb stick. I told her that it seemed unlikely a usb stick that small would have a full terabyte, especially at such a low price, but she insisted. When it arrived and didn't work I eventually chopped it open. There was literally nothing inside.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my father refers to such things as a "stupid tax"

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I bought a thing that cores an Apple and cuts it into 8 slices for $1.12. Can't wait for it to get here by summer.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Rockybar posted:

AYe, this was the one -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mul...2695031060.html

May need to grab this tshirt -

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Link for that shirt? Couldn't find it when I went looking for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh and I don't normally buy clothes there but if you need shapewear for a dress or whatever, it can't be beat.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

x

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I got a third set of shoelaces in the mail
Does anyone need 200 cm shoelaces in black or purple

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

They were like "hey who's got the dirtiest and grossest phone? Ok let's use yours for the photo shoot".

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Lowtax posted:

They were like "hey who's got the dirtiest and grossest phone? Ok let's use yours for the photo shoot".

It's China bro

Literally everyone phone looks like that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

I got a third set of shoelaces in the mail
Does anyone need 200 cm shoelaces in black or purple

Yikes, what was the listing?

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Need this in my life

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Pick posted:

Yikes, what was the listing?

Via Amazon, but straight from China, from a huge distributor or manufacturer, never been able to discern which. Used them before.

I thought I might get faster shipping if I used Amazon, lmao. So much for that. They were also $1 cheaper than anywhere on AE (they're super long)

I was gonna link but the listing is gone, if I check via my order it says "This item is out of stock." I can see dark purple being out of stock, but black?

Maybe they're out of stock because they sent everyone triplicate orders?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
F'real though, anyone needs shoe / boot laces, or hell corset laces, I gotcha covered

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pick posted:

Presenting:

THE PICK KITCHEN:

If you or your spouse likes kitchen do-dads for cheap, here is a list of cheap kitchen do-dads. The usefulness varies but the prices are good.

Shoot a fella could have a good weekend in Vegas with all that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

Shoot a fella could have a good weekend in Vegas with all that

My father has gotten into AliExpress to order electronics, but not for using, for opening up and taking apart and general tinkering. Apparently a lot of the things from there are fine, but whoo nelly someone of them certainly are not. Anyway, thought of you because you're the good-at-electronics guy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

really wanna stress once more : Do not buy battery banks or anything that you plug expensive electronics into from Ali Express. Just spend a few bucks more for something well-reviewed off Amazon or whatever.

They can, and very well will, cause the crucial blue smoke ghost to be released from your electronics. Without Mr. Ghost, the device will not function!

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

8 Ball posted:

Need this in my life

Link please, this is beautiful

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alisister-2016-new-3d-cat-t-shirt-printed-animal-t-shirt-women-men-Funny-clothing-harajuku/32613142624.html

If someone posts an image, right click it and hit 'search google for image' you'll get a list of pages the image shows up on. Add 'aliexpress' to the search field to narrow it down.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Enjoying the fine selection of legitimate Studio Ghibli merchanidse:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not posted:

valentines day is sorted

This arrived today and it's hilarious and lovely quality. Quick-ish delivery to the UK.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Hoplosternum posted:

Link please, this is beautiful

Just search 'harajuku' for all the awesome clothes

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I got a Vernee Mars phone though AliExpress and I've never seen such a shoddy piece of poo poo in my life.

A software update broke the camera and the volume rocker and caused the phone to go into a reboot loop anytime I was on the subway.

I was just about dealing with that so the phone decided to up and die on me completely. Just shows randomly coloured static now.

If you're gonna get a phone, stay away from Chinese manufacturers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My general recommendations are:

1. Don't buy anything that goes in/on your mouth
2. Nothing you expect to directly contact your eyes or genitals
3. Do not buy electronics
4. Do not buy anything where the price on Amazon is only slightly higher
5. Do not buy items with easy, lower-quality substitute materials or parts

The best deals, in my experience, are items where conventional markup is extremely high, but the materials are extremely cheap. So, for example,

1. Useful niche items made of inexpensive materials (e.g. seam rippers, flea combs, silicone molds, hydrogel beads)
2. "Costume" jewelry (e.g. "seratonin"-shaped necklace)
3. Simple kitchen gadgets and household organization/storage containers
4. Small decorative items
5. Tools that will never be under substantial stress or used in a life-or-death situation (e.g. tiny screwdriver for repairing glasses, drain-cleaning zip)
6. Student-grade art supplies
7. Shapewear and socks

Basically, think from the perspective of a Chinese manufacturer. What items would you sell to Americans where you could get a high enough price to make it worth your while, but are so cheap for you to make that there's no point in scrimping any further or substituting inferior materials?

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 30, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd add the recommendation to buy effort-intensive custom art things like custom oil portraits or bobbleheads for a tenth the price of local.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That said, if you want something completely awesome and do not care if you live or die, you have always wanted this and you know it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pick posted:

That said, if you want something completely awesome and do not care if you live or die, you have always wanted this and you know it.

I guarantee you that will kill you dead the second you plug it in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

oh absolutely

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

King Vidiot posted:

Gonna buy one and have it shipped directly to my worst enemy, that's way cheaper than an assassin.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

theflyingexecutive posted:

effort-intensive custom art things like custom oil portraits

Have you seen any especially good ones on aliexpress? Years back I saw a Chinese site that would reproduce propaganda posters but paint you into the scene. Since then I've been wanting one. I could probably just paint it myself but :effort: and I'd rather have someone trained in China do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

ozza posted:

Enjoying the fine selection of legitimate Studio Ghibli merchanidse:

I want to get these for my girlfriend and be looking at her face when she opens them up lol