Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

it's kinda weird to think there's a good chance that the people making and selling this have no idea what the image is supposed to be

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lego-Tanks-Cool-Custom-MousePad-for-Size-18-22cm-and-25-29cm-Support-for-Desktop-PC/32724394447.html
Doesn't look like anything to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The cat that should not be.

I do hope somebody gets the Ride the Lightning one and is then struck by one during a storm.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

meatpotato posted:

Never buy a speedometer from AliExpress

https://streamable.com/hvu71

Sir, do you know how fast you were going?

I was going to say that my stock Mazda speedo does this (bad contact with the speed sensor) but no, no it does not. At worst it just randomly drops to 0 sometimes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can get prepaid cards at (some) gas stations in Germany. I bought one and put 20EUR on one for my parents to use as they don't have a real one to order poo poo with off the internet. There are some limitations, I think you can't use it with Uber for example, but works fine with ebay.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno about leggins but I definitely need some knockoff GB games. I still have my original one around, but the games as well as GB Color are missing somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow Banggood seems to have way less crazy poo poo, but there are some good deals and in my experience it's not as sketchy as AX. Now they have white led strips at less than 2 bucks/5m (the problem is the power supply will cost more) and a 2.5W laser engraving machine under $200. I'd be seriously tempted if it could also do aluminium at least.

That pen/ruler/level thing somebody posted earlier is way more expensive though. Is it also metal or plastic on AX for $1?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
A former coworker tried to start a business like that, he'd automatically translate and re-post stuff from DX or whatever to a local ebay clone and have them drop ship stuff. I haven't talked to him in a while but he still has a full time job so I guess it didn't really take off.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

3528s are cheap because they're useless, pay a couple bucks more for 5050s or 5630s. if you're not using them as running lights in your car or something else natively 12v a 5V strip of the same LEDs will be better and you can just slap a USB cable on it
5050s are certainly better (I have some RGB ones already) but these will do for my purpose, I have a 30cm waterproof one from another project and it's fine.

Sagebrush posted:

2.5 watts is nothing. Our shop lasers are 60-75 watts and they can cut 1/4" plywood or plastic in a single pass, but metal cutting is completely out of the question. That starts at about 150 watts with an oxygen blast and you're still only going to be able to do thin sheet steel.
I know it's gently caress all, ideally it'd be something in the 40-watt range :v: but I was thinking just engraving, which shouldn't require that much. But in any case, it definitely wouldn't be worth it for me as I don't do nearly enough of it to make sense.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dentist toy box posted:

The gb boy color is pretty great from what I've heard. And if you're cheap I'm sure there's fake carts you can buy on aliexpress as well.

I might consider this. I still have the original GB but my Color went missing. I probably let some of my HS friends use it and then just never got it back. Well I'd need to get the games to because most of them were with the color :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some of my ebay packages arrived as registered even though I never paid for anything above the free shipping tier. Perhaps some Ali vendors send it like that too?
My regular post office was shut down so I now have to drive to the new one to pick anything up. Well I drove to the previous one too because I'm a lazy piece of poo poo, but this one's still at least twice as far.

More importantly though, they apparently have a new SOP for deliveries. It's either a small unregistered package that they stuff in the mailbox, or they just keep it at the post office. That's literally all they do. It used to be that they'd try to deliver it and if it didn't fit or you weren't home, they'd drop a note telling you to pick up your poo poo. But now there's nothing, so unless you have a tracking number and know that it arrived, you're basically hosed. The only solution is to go there weekly (before they junk/send it back ) and ask if they're storing anything, which is what I'm doing now in order not to miss any Ali/ebay poo poo. Really weird as I'm sure this isn't how it's supposed to work, but they seem to have no clue.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

One with a semi-privatized postal system overseen by a literal robber-baroness.

e: People hate her so much (for various reasons) that a company with the same name had to issue a press release trying to convince people she was in fact not related to their brand in any way.
Nope, fully socialized postal system here. So if you don't like it you can go gently caress yourself.

Well actually if you're shipping stuff yourself you can choose from a number of alternative services, but stuff like overseas air mail gets handled by the post office. And to be fair, I haven't had any issues before, but this is just bizarre.

FillInTheBlank posted:

What is this terrible country where they make you pick up packages?

Everything I've ordered from Aliexpress has been couriered to my door in New Zealand, even a little pack of stickers.
Well yeah, the little stuff gets dropped in the mailbox. The problem is either registered or packages that are too large to fit, that you have to pick up personally (since I'm never at home if/when they deliver). The only difference from normal operation is that they don't notify you so the only way to know is by tracking the package, if possible, or just randomly popping in to the office to ask them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does that also work like a ratchet strap?

Katosabi posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned Aooko, I ordered some Oakleys from his business partner Jeff. We'll see how they turn out.
Does the business partner Jeff have Whisker? I've been meaning to get those for a while but it looks like they stopped making them. Juliet would be pretty :krad: too, now that I think about it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamit, they're a bit too expensive for a useless toy but I just must. have. one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

I'm not really into the whole EDC thing but a tactical key tool is something that I've gotten a ton of use out of over the years and for only a buck is totally worth it. They also make for great cheap gifts, same with a credit card multitool.

I've had one of these for a while. I think I used it a few times to open tough packaging, but as you say, for a buck it's a cool toy.

Great wedding/bachelorette party gift.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

So my endoscopic camera came in, I kind of wish I had waited for a sale because I paid 8 bucks for a five-footer only to see a ten-footer go on sale for that much as a flash deal. But regardless, it works well and the lights are controlled via an analog wheel. It shipped with a tiny disc and a QR code for an ad-riddled proprietary app but I just used a free Android program instead and it worked right away. For practical purposes I can see this being awesome for someone who has to work with engines or small crawlspaces (especially with the hooks and magnets attachments so you can use it for plucking and fishing), for artistry the low resolution and wiggliness means that everything looks like a Lynchian nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpTrshLFOI

I got the 5mm/2m one from Banggood for free. Well it was on sale for like $6.5, but I got it refunded because the specs said it did 640x480 and 720p but it actually only works at 640x, the higher resolution is for the larger diameter models. TBH that was a reasonable price for it anyway, but I would've paid a bit more for a 720p model if I knew. Still, at least it's narrower so I can stick it in narrower orifices.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I just checked to see if they showed up again anywhere. Apparently not but there's this thing:

:stonklol:

"Stainless Steel Mini Crossbow Arrow Children Shooting Toy Gift Decor"

Hopefully some enterprising fellow in Malaysia will realize the huge potential and set up a re-export operation soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK posted:

:drat: I can't believe that thing got through customs
Also envious as hell, gimme!
I don't actually have it, unfortunately, that's the seller's photo.

dregan posted:

Am I being a maroon or can you not just test UV lenses with a standard blacklight? That's always how I used to do it.
Blacklight is mostly right on the edge of UV and visible light, and you'd only be able to see this part anyway with your bare eyes, and not the rest of the spectrum. However you can make your own tester with cheap Ali parts: https://youtu.be/CG7aBul033I

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't buy anything literally life critical but regular consumer goods are likely to be the exact same poo poo you'd buy anywhere else just at half the price. So far I've bought a Xiaomi camera and usb powerbank, gimbal and FPV system for my drone, a multimeter, led strips, an endoscope and a bunch of electronic components without any issues. Not sure about Ali but Banggood is relatively good at after-sale support too, if you can show their poo poo doesn't work they just refund the money without much bullshit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They sell those on ebay, even shipped to Germany, for less than AliExpress, usually.

I have one. It's a Good Meter. The 87+ ot 85+ or whatever.
17B? At least that's what available from China on ebay.

I just got myself an Aneng AN8008 for now for like 15$, arrived in a record 10 days from banggood since I paid an extra dollar for shipping :v:

It's nowhere near as professional and skookum as the Fluke, which is the real deal of course, but on the other hand it's 9999 counts and has all the same features and probably even the accuracy. And it's 15 bucks. To get a Fluke with the additional features that I'd really want (at least auto hold and min/max) it would be way more than 70-100$. But on the third hand, it might blow up in my face if I try to measure mains voltage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
So somebody saw this classic

and though, I know, I'm gonna sell that for money!?

Does anyone know for sure that when shipping stuff from banggood by Priority Direct Mail, customs/tax get handled by them? I ordered some cheaper stuff that way before and it arrived from the Netherlands, seemingly skipping the local customs altogether.

They don't make this clear at all, but it seems that they ship the orders perhaps in bulk and clear the customs themselves in NL by declaring the actual cost (or bribing). Because the extra cost of this method is way less than what tax+duty+fees would be, like less than a quarter. But I just wouldn't want to order something more expensive like a phone or a tablet and get hit with both the higher shipping charge and the taxes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Psychedelicatessen posted:

I found a :nws: abalone shell mask. what the gently caress china

You've never seen Predator?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

strangehamster posted:

Has anyone found some good-enough earbuds for $5-10?

Xiaomi PIstons are supposedly pretty good for the price. There now seem to be a bunch versions though so you might need to do a bit of research on the differences.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

How are you testing them and is it something that can be done at home?
Just look into the laser with your least favorite eye

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone bought an automatic soap dispenser like one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=130105&initiative_id=AS_20170903070529&SearchText=automatic+soap+dispenser

I'm constantly annoyed by having to squeeze out detergent when doing the dishes so that would be perfect if it worked well.

Sentient Data posted:

Any leads on a decent double din android receiver, or does a decent one not exist?

E: receiver as in car radio
Also curious if there is something that's not garbage. I hooked up my old tablet into the car but it never worked as well as I wish it did.
Ordered. I don't usually wear these small socks but at under the bucks, what the hell.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ended up ordering like 20 bucks worth of random crap with the socks. Also saw this charming mug:

A bit too expensive for a gag but could be a decent gift for your frenemy or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I bought a pair of these last year, and holy crap, are they ever painful to put on.
Maybe you should just... deal with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like all my poo poo is now on the way. It took some of the sellers a few days longer than most ebay sellers or banggood but eh. Interestingly it seems that the cheapo laser pointer that will probably melt my eyes was located in Turkey instead, which is pretty convenient.

SelenicMartian posted:

The Russian auto-translation of the item name actually says 'Deal with her' :cripes:

For some reason, Russian uses the same word for 'marriage' and 'manufacturing defect'
There's a sale on banngood and they have these headphones:

Ok sure.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I'm sure that somewhere in the world a robbery was prevented by a man ejecting a buttplug.

Speaking of which, Ali seems to know what I really want:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So you always wanted a Chanel shirt...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I can't believe it, it finally came today!

I had given up on every receiving my little crossbow when it gets delivered today. And yes, I have already loaded it with nails and popped a bunch of balloons with it.

Cool! Do you remember how much it was? They seem to be back on ebay at around :10bux: +shipping which is a bit much for shooing someone in the eye and going to jail immediately.

Pick posted:

Rookie mistake. you know that the items can only arrive from China once you have given up hope, that's how their postal system works
I already received two items from different sellers that I ordered on the 4th which is slightly on the faster side of typical. What pisses me off is the weird tracking, almost everything has a tracking number but they're all loving useless. The items I already received are all "Accepted by airline", but even worse is the tablet I ordered last week from banggood which has no updates at all. I know it will be at least another week but come on! I need real time GPS tracking for this stuff already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

This would be a good t-shirt to wear if you started working for NASA:
http://s.aliexpress.com/qAVnqiIj

Nah, not enough T&A

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know about "decent" but I do know cheap as poo poo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-BLUETOO...XMAAOSw~gRVzuEl

I use it in the car so it's pretty much impossible to say anything about audio quality but it works fine and music comes out the speakers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FFS I have at least 3 packages sitting in my city for 3 days now. I know one of them was a public holiday but just let me go pick it up from the logistic hub goddamit :argh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How's the actual quality of the belt? I considered buying one the last time it came up ITT but didn't really want to risk $15-20 on a Chinese belt when I could get a basic leather one locally for a similar price. Now they seem to have a sale I might actually do it if it's reasonably well made.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone seen a store that sells game boy classic games? Searching is a huge pain in the rear end as it turns up GBA and various other variants that are not the original ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The shipping has been really hit or miss for me so far with Ali. So far I got about 80% of my orders within 2-3 weeks, which is fairly typical. But a few things like this cheapo logic analyzer I just got took like a month and a half. Which would've been frustrating if the other order that has all the electronics I was going to analyze wasn't still stuck god knows where. Supposedly it left China a month ago :(

Banggod's been certainly way more consistent even with their free option, which makes sense since they have a centralized operation of course.

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I got a set of pans as a gift, and they're good enough pans that I want to use them, but they've got little double-handles which is inconvenient somtimes.

Enter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...2594470154.html

Does exactly what it looks like and does it well. Not sure if I'd leave it on while cooking but for transferring things from one pan to another it's amazing.
We've had this (or at least its non-Chinesium version) for years and it's particularly great for pans without any handles that can be conveniently moved into the oven when necessary. They're also easier to store.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have a bad habit of finding one thing I like, shopping for the best price, then ordering up to a dozen more things from that seller just because they're cheap and I feel bad just ordering one thing. :shobon:

Same. I once ordered a single 50c sticker and then felt bad for not getting more at the same time. But having more sellers i your order means you get more nice surprises so during one week I was getting a new package every day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just ordered like $40 more of stuff. On the upside, this includes two pairs of bluetooth earbuds and a bicycle light, thus taking care of presents for this year :woop:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a good idea as long as it doesn't require being in a public space at the time!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

I figured they would sell the computer type of notebooks.

They do and those seem to be a much better value too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Eh the computer stuff is fine, where do you think it's all made anyway. Obviously check some legitimate reviews (https://www.youtube.com/user/MobileTechReview/search?query=chinese) beforehand because there might be some compromises compared to more expensive brands but it's usually a reasonable tradeoff. I've been using a Cube Mix Plus from banggood for about a month now and it's very well made, works perfectly, and for the price there's absolutely nothing similar.