Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

FWIW scorpions glow under blacklight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mocking Bird, what linen bags do you recommend? I just moved in with my partner and we could seriously use some closet organization!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Thank you!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

QueenBee posted:

poo poo gets weird about half way down the page here. Weird even for Ali.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Int...a9-a31e398ca8e4

HUH

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

well why not posted:

if they're like the t-shirts, then they're basically just nylon shaped to fit a small body. they're more like a cheap rash vest than an item of regular clothing.

I've found a mix of cotton t-shirts and nylon ones. Even from the same sellers. :shrug:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I bought a bunch of that thick wool from three different vendors and will post reviews/comparisons when it arrives!

I also just received a set of exercise bands at one third the price they were on Amazon. The quality is excellent. I'll post a link tomorrow when I'm at my computer.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

the durable

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Murderion posted:

Yeah, I'm being careful. The only thing I've actually bought are the radium torch (hopefully just a mistranslation of "UV") and a jacket from the manufacturer's own store with like 3500 orders. I'm 10 minutes away from several really good second hand stores, so I'm only buying stuff I can't find anywhere else.

Yeah, I've bought a bunch of simple cotton/linen blend stuff I'm really happy with, but in higher price ranges and very careful about vendors. I have gotten a few flops, but you learn as you go. Good luck :).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Murderion posted:

What would you describe as the higher price range? I'm wary of spending more than £20-30 on something without trying it on in the shop. I've been burned by weird fits before, even with good brands.

OTOH those were shoes, and I have ridiculous mutant feet. I'm sure as hell not buying formal shoes on Aliexpress, though I might get a pair of snazzy printed trainers.

Oh, $10-$20 USD I consider higher price range for Ali Express clothes like shirts and dresses, but I got looser cottony stuff where fit didn't matter as much.

I haven't bought shoes at all.

My most recent purchase was this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2546911117.html which I am delighted by :canada:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-new-original-simple-commoner-double-soft-cotton-long-sleeved-shirt/32621377054.html also very happy with this tunic top and other things by that manufacturer (Johnature). They have held up through several washings and often seem to be available on amazon.com/amazon.ca for double or triple the price.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 5, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Has anyone ordered plastic drawer organizers? Any vendor you would recommend? A bunch of these look identical but the sizes are slightly different (7.8 cm vs 8 cm), I'm working with a space in which that makes the difference between two or three organizers so trying to figure out if they are the same thing but with more accurate dimensions. I guess I can always order too many and see what happens.

I would recommend the vendor CapslCN for fillable capsules and capsule filling machines (like for supplements that come in powder form). I have to take baking soda for my kidneys and I hate hate hate drinking it in water because of the taste so I bought a capsule filling machine and capsules from them and everything is super good quality and comes in many colours. They also sell on Amazon.com and amazon.ca but for higher prices. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy directly from their website than from Ali Express. It took a minute to get a sense of how to use the machine - the directions that came with it were hard to parse - but I found tutorials on YouTube.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought it did happen to my pale goth skin (?) earlier in the thread?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

How much would my sister kill me if I got these for our garden?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...2845973361.html

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh no, my sister would actually kill me if I put glow in the dark stuff in our garden. It's not a problem that needs a solution, it was just my idea of a prank. :kiddo:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I bought these and they are wonderful; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STA-12-24-36-48-80-Color-Art-Brush-Sketch-Marker-Pens-Water-Based-Ink-Twin/32814522995.html

They seem very similar to ones I've used in an art class in the past. My partner says they are knockoffs of a famous brand but may have been made in the same factory or something. I'm not familiar enough with watercolor markers to know what brands are famous.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah, the STA "brand" in the Staetdler font is a giveaway.

Those look really good! I might snag a set myself. I have such a weak spot for pens and pencils and stuff. Not the expensive kind, but point me toward a well-stocked stationery store and I am gone.

Yeah, I love them. There were other vendors where you pick your own colours but that seemed annoying so I got the 24 pack and am very happy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pick posted:

They’re genuinely not even close to Copic quality and overall they’re unreliable and mix poorly.

That brand of them? Shame. I tested them all and did mixing to test as well. I was impressed but wasn't sure if they'd hold up. Unreliable makes sense, though. :smith:

Edit: I also use them to map out neuropharmacology diagrams, not to do illustration or real drawing, so I'm probably not the best tester or use case.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 10, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nesting material? Fill a small room with hay and pretend you're a bird.

Well this is an exciting idea!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think you need to go to Ali Baba to get most pharmaceuticals. There you can contract with a lab to get many things. (I think some of them have been mass speced but I don't know what) I tried a bunch of search terms once when someone mentioned buying drugs on Ali Express, couldn't find anything, and then asked them about it afterwards. They meant to say Ali Baba.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I ordered some "wool" yarn from Ali Express to see what the quality was like. It's terrible acrylic, like much worse than I have ever seen for sale in the US, Canada, or UK. It feels like a milder form of touching insulation. I'm not too surprised or disappointed (I spent only a few dollars to find out) but now I/we know for sure.

I also ordered cotton embroidery floss. It's the same as getting non-DMC floss in the US/Canada (never bought it in the UK). The same stuff as far as I can tell. I just tested it and it's color fast.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 1, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Amphigory posted:

Thank you for your noble sacrifice :)

You're welcome, it's no big deal. Now we know. Helpful people in the knitting thread suggested I use it to stuff teddy bears and so on, so I think I'll do that.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Amphigory posted:

Good idea!

There's a knitting thread? Can you point me to it, please?

Yes, please join us over at the Show me your knits thread. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oooh, I like the cool nesting doll sets.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Betazoid posted:

Donbook Large Size Dog Clothes for Big Dogs Golden Retriever Winter Pet Hoodie Sportswear 2XL-9XL
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bHJGV85E

I think everyone I know with a dog is getting one of these cute "Adidog" hoodies. There's also a cute one that says SECURITY on it if your dog is, like mine, pretty much always on alert for "intruders" (aka, our family, friends, the mailman...).

I cannot find the one that says SECURITY, please link. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Betazoid posted:

I just search "dog clothes security" and a whole bunch pop up. This one looks like a bouncer's hoodie, though. :)

New SECURITY Dog Coats Chihuahua Clothes Sweatshirt Cotton Pet Puppy Hoodie Jacket
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cnbL9DmC

Oh, I was looking in the linked shop. :shobon: I searched all of Ali Express and many options did come up, thank you.

I cannot seem to find one for my niecedog, who has a 28" chest (pit/lab mix). I may just need to make her one myself. :)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm helping to set up a condo. :unsmith: what household things have you found useful/cool/good from Ali Express?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Betazoid posted:

Is this for your daughter? (I might be mixing you up with another SA poster.) I saw these cute dishes as a freebie the other day, and the marble and gold is really trendy for younger ladies right now. No idea how they hold up, though.

Top Bone Ceramic Bowl Dinner Set Rice Noodles Bowl Phnom Penh Marble Pattern Series Ceramic Bowl Family Soup Bowl Set
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bL87WubO

Not me, maybe Mocking Bird? We both have bird avatars. She's a social worker with a teenage daughter and I'm a psychologist with no children (yet). She works for CPS and I work with kids and families with trauma at an outpatient office.

Anyway, condo is for me and partner. I think I'm just generally excited - new job, new home, new country! :woop: I'll probably have more concrete requests when I'm finally there. I'm particularly interested in tools/hardware of decent to good quality, though most of our higher ticket stuff is from US/Canada. Also cleaning stuff like weird microfiber house shoes or whatever? It's okay if it's already been covered, I can go through the old pages. :shobon:

Also my partner is a designer so I really, really enjoy teasing him that I'm going to buy the weird pillows and word decals.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 27, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

Good guy Aliexpress seller actually messaged me to warn me about the postal strike in my own country and asked whether I wanted the item held or to upgrade to DHL (for $16, but still). I'm impressed!

That marble run rules extremely hard

Canada Post strike? I've had several sellers message me about it - one asked for $4 more in shipping, one asked me to extend dispute time 30 days, one asked me to cancel the order. Surprisingly on top of it!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I and Pick both wrote earlier in the thread about buying lots of seeds from Ali Express (and grew them inside to be sure they were what they claimed to be), and we both had good experiences. (I did not buy any boob gourds; I don't know about Pick) I thought that the reputable seed sellers were going off AE though - a while back the places I bought from sent me messages that they could no longer sell seeds due to a change in the law. I haven't bought seeds from AE for over a year though.

I'd recommend Hirt's for Americans for a reputable catalog nursery. I've been happy with them overall.

Canadians - are all your orders bring cancelled because of the Canada Post strike? A few sellers last week sent me messages asking for more postage money or to extend the dispute period, but now that the strike has been longer than 30 days, the sellers seem to all be cancelling.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 23, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I like the listings that call stacking objects "superposition."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I bought resistance straps on Ali Express for about one third of the price on Amazon, one set for me and one for my sister, a few months apart from two different vendors. They've held up fine for over a year, and seem to be the same as what you'd get in the US or Canada.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Tad Naff posted:

Regarding EDC pens, I rather like this one. It even has "tactical" in its name, but I don't know really what kind of tactics it would be good for. Nice and heavy and the bolt-action is great for fidgeting with, takes standard Parker refills, also comes in brass. If it had inches as well as centimetres, that would be great.

I wish someone would tell Ali that it's safe to ship to Canada now, I haven't been able to get my ordering-of-crap fix for weeks.

I think that even though the strike ended because Senate legislated Canada Post to go back to work, other unions are blocking facilities and so on on their behalf.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone had an experience of loading the ali app and the search bar suggestion being literally "poo poo"?

Literally laughing irl rn. (No, not yet.)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

No shame, I got a couple colors of those panties too

e: wow that's a bad time for a new page. More ideas

- aliexpress is constantly recommending me silicone teething beads; it could be a cute DIY for any new moms you know who are okay with their kids chewing on ???
- just add water dinosaur eggs
- Christmas-themed nail water decals

I don't celebrate Christmas, so I'm not 100% sure these are appropriate for stocking stuffers for guys but here are some ideas...
Cool post-its

Magnetic bracelet (for holding screws and stuff, also good for sewing). Not for people who work above other people's heads.

Little multitools

Teeny tiny screwdriver sets for repairing laptops/eyeglasses

Magnets

E: VVV oh great all of my ideas are possible then! If it's under $5 you can also do some pliers, those telescoping magnetic tools for picking up nails/screws that fall, those organizational pouch things and dopp kits.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 1, 2018

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Cage posted:

Maybe don't buy this, but totally look at it.

Music Tesla Coil Music Tesla Coil Plasma Loudspeaker

quote:

Don't use too many adjectives to describe.
Extremely :same:.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is the WorkPro Official store on Ali the same quality of goods we get in Canada/the States? The prices look a little bit lower (not now to Canada though because of shipping, but I was wondering about when the postal service resumes).

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

Yooooo let me tell you about w7 palettes. They have dupes for the entire Naked collection, in nice tins, for like $7 on Amazon (it's a UK company). The only downside is they take awhile to come out, but they're so good I have no idea why they don't get more buzz

Oooh!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I bought a few home things a while back and they've been trickling in due to the Canada Post strike. They've all been good quality. The prices all look a little higher than when I bought though, so you may want to wait for a deal...

Collapsible Colander Set
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cAOF7Ju8

A sponge thing with a handle for a dollar or two. These all leak via the sponge whether or not you get the name brand
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cfZHDbxi

A dryer hedgehog :3:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crVFI53S

Brushes of many different sizes
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cULhYf9O

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My dad works for a major US-based plumbing fixture company which does manufacturing in China. One of his main job responsibilities is figuring out how the Chinese factories have cheaped out on their original plans and why the shower heads (or whatever) are suddenly not working to spec. He then corrects the processes. So that's definitely a thing people work on.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My partner got me binos from Ali as a gift last year. I'll see if he wants to recommend a brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

If I could do my house up in "European Style" I would, but I have terrible taste. Unfortunately instead of living like a Central Asian dictator my house is in just reality European style, which is Ikea.

I toyed around with the idea of this for a while, but I know my husband would just hate it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lux...3c-cb3c40571b38

Whoa, what color would you get?