Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Liquid Chicken posted:

I'm up to 25 of these little buggers....

Cuuuuubbbbbbeeeeeessss.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804675976626.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

To get the "spicy" & pricey cubes however you have to go to https://www.luciteria.com/metal-cubes

I checked out the bromine cube and that's not a bad idea, basically the only way to store it long term is to seal it in a glass ampoule.

They also linked to this moron pouring it on an iPhone with no PPE on :ohdear:

edit: oh my god his entire channel is just destroying iPhones in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

quote:

"Well, it's my job. And I'm pretty drat serious about it. In addition to being a postmaster, I'm a general. And we both know, it's the job of a general to, by God, get things done. So maybe you can understand why I get a little irritated when someone calls me away from my golf."

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004815653595.html

I gotta get me one of these magnetic phone belt clips. Look how cool these guys are!

Edit: I'm actually there shopping for one of these, to stealthily fit an AirTag on my bike. Already got one of the wife's by hiding it in a disused old front light. (Connected to her apple ID, of course. Privacy first! But not for bike thieves.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004578508339.html

As someone who wanted to get an AirTag as a poor man’s LoJack for my motorbike, my understanding is that it’s trivially easy for anyone with an iPhone to detect if there’s an AirTag (as part of Apple’s “don’t use this for stalking” policy)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

It takes three days for a notification to pop up (and only on iPhones). That's not to say a cop will actually go help you get your bike back, but it's not useless

Ah, didn't realise that - not too bad!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Darchangel posted:

Also, you can't make it road legal in most states.

There are neighbourhoods/areas in FL* cities where golf carts are street legal. A mate of mine there has one as a runabout, uses it for visiting friends, taking his kid to the pool, etc.

*(Probably other places too, but I think it's particularly widespread there).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not the car companies, but the federal government. Is the model year 25 years old or older? Hey, you might be able to import it, just expect a mountain of paperwork, a lot of fees, and waiting forever for it to finally (hopefully) arrive in a cargo ship. And then the nightmare of trying to register it.

Is it newer than 25 years? Officially, the answer is "gently caress you." Not sure where these mini-car things lie, I'm assuming they skirt the rules by being classified as, like, golf carts or ATVs/side-by-sides or something.

He's making the point that the only reason those rules are in place are because the car companies have lobbied the government to protect their interests.

Anything you're not trying to use on public roads is fine; there have been companies importing newish kei trucks for ages (back when it wasn't as mainstream as it is now because it was limited to pokey Showa jalopies) for people to use on their ranches, etc. I've heard of some universities using them as well.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

Are there any good comfortable bras on Ali that are actually plus size? I'm talking real big. Any F cups I find have a 40" band max, and all the bras with 50" bands top out at D

No underwire preferred, but I understand that I'm asking for a miracle at that point

Be careful with random Chinese stuff near your body.

I was buying some thermal trousers (used for cycle commuting in winter) on Amazon a few years back, and from the reviews it turned out that the lining fabric was basically carcinogenic or something and should not be in direct contact with human skin. It didn't really affect me because I always had at least one base layer on underneath, but it did make me wary.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Rad-daddio posted:

That seems like a fun way to get your poo poo kicked in by the postmaster general.

"In addition to being a postmaster, I'm a general."

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Arivia posted:

I had reason to go look at the toaster again the other day. I think, and frankly this is crazy, it doesn't actually have a wifi connection. It's still like $500 dollars and has presets for loving gluten-free protein waffles, but it may actually not be network connected.

Not Aliexpress, but yesterday I had the experience of plugging an Amazon toaster in for the first time and being greeted with smoke and a burning insulation smell.

Thought of this thread.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

wheatpuppy posted:

Same. I have had 2 or 3 magnets break, and replaced a couple of cords that weren't charging well anymore but I am still way ahead in cost and convenience compared to when I had separate cables for all my devices. I broke a half-dozen or more "regular" charging cables by accidentally snagging the cord and pulling my phone or tablet off a table; invariably they would land on the charging port and break or bend the end of the cable. Hasn't happened once with the magnetic ones.

Also, when I am on the couch with a sleeping cat holding me immobile, I can use the cord to go magnet fishing for my glasses on the end table.

The last time I flew I felt pretty clever using one to fish one of my Bluetooth earbuds out from between the seat and bulkhead.

Also to whomever said the Apple ones are annoying unreliable, I feel you. Never had a USB C or micro USB stop working, but the Lightning ones ones seem to have like a 25% chance to completely fail forever every time you take them out.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

XYZAB posted:

Off topic but cyanide and the history of cyanide is actually kind of fascinating. Its first synthesis in the form of hydrogen cyanide was from Prussian Blue pigment (ferric ferrocyanide), which itself was the first historical synthetic blue pigment, and whereas certain cyanide containing gases and salts will loving kill you straight up, Prussian Blue pigment is listed on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines as one of the most important medicines in a basic health system as both a Thallium and radioactive Cesium uptake inhibitor. So in the event of a nuclear war you might want to reach for a tube of dark blue artist's oil paint and start chugging it. But not cobalt blue. That'll kill you. Also, the walls of some of the gas chambers in Nazi Germany when discovered by the allies were thought to have been haphazardly painted blue for reasons unknown, but it turned out they weren't painted that colour at all: Zyklon B, when exposed to water, released pure hydrogen cyanide gas. The same blue that gives Prussian Blue its hue is the same blue that stained those walls. Additionally, architectural blueprints used to be blue because some nerd figured out how to apply enough science to ferric ferrocyanide that it could be utilized in the similar way that we use a photocopier today, and the name stuck and lives on long after architectural plans no longer had to rely on that method of duplication. The more you know!

That's just the long way of me trying to tell you that when WWIII starts and you see another relatively normal looking survivor stumbling around the bombed-out ruins of civilization, the dark blue stain around their mouth, face, and hands might be the sole reason they've survived as long as they have. Hell, now it might be the reason you survive as long as you will.

I do wet plate collodion (1850s photographic process) and an alarming number of people who do it in the US use potassium cyanide fixer, mostly because it rinses faster than the harmless ammonium and sodium thiosulfate fixes that also work perfectly fine.

KCn fix is fine unless it comes into contact with a strong acid (guess what the developer you use in the process is?), at which point it turns into hydrogen cyanide gas. It's fine if you're careful, but basically none of these people have any chemistry/chemical handling training, and are often shooting at places like bars, etc that are completely blind to the potential risks.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

One more thing, anyone seen an actually small wireless mouse? I have a tiny 10" laptop for travel and the Logitech MX Anywhere turned out to be barely smaller than my desktop Razer mouse. I'm looking for something really small that would be easy to stick in a small pocket, even if it's not super ergonomic.

This is the smallest I was able to find and it's out of stock. Otherwise all the "portable" mice are still like 100x60mm which is about the same as my Logitech.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002545765816.html

You might try the Microsoft Arc Mouse

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

EoRaptor posted:

Gom Alibabbar.

:discourse:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Those pet crematorium pics have had me in stitches.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Not sure if I’m finally going to cave or not…

Powerful High Quality Mechanical Crab Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP0kSpG

If so, which color? If anyone can actually tell if the speaker is worth a wet fart, glad to learn.

Absolutely criminal lack of Crab Rave in that video :colbert:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Troubadour posted:

If you want an accurate measurement, you can pick up a power draw meter like in the linked reddit thread. I don't own one but Kill A Watt is mentioned regularly in reviews that measure power use.

It's also not uncommon for local libraries to have them to lend out too! :eng101:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

im considering getting one as a gift for a friend who is lacking in the gaming PC department if they can play reasonably modern games at low settings and can be had for ~$150. is this a thing that exists?

If you don’t need tiny and lower power, you’ll probably get more bang for your buck on Marketplace. I just put together a 4690k with 32gb of RAM, a bunch of storage, and a GTX970 for $95 ($50 computer, $45 gpu, plus installing windows on my own because it used to be a media server or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Amphigory posted:

All this Switch talk has reminded me:

Can anyone recommend a nice, classy gadget pouch / case to hold a Switch joy-con grip, and associated cables, dongles for our Switch? There's just a bunch of clutter on a book shelf at the moment

And a similar question for some travel storage for a load of USB cables, chargers and probably 4 reasonably bulky travel adapters? My solution for that at the moment is a lovely molle pouch with cables inside a bigger pouch where the adapters sit. It's not very "grown up" looking :(

There's a load of stuff in Amazon, but it'll be drop shipped and marked up anyways, and I've gotten a good steer in here many a time

Try Etsy; my partner got me a sweet BoTW korok one from a seller in Uruguay a year or two ago (which they got copyright struck for, but there were plenty of other good options).