Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
"Foreign Devils, eager to poison their own customers to satisfy their foreign devilish impulses."
Within living memory the default legit view of anyone with an accent, today a running gag about how dumb it is.

Things have changed a lot.

I didn't get it through Ali, but yesterday I got a bunch of Chinese glass tubing and color rod. (glassblower)
It's less consistent than American glass, and apparently the black glass is an utter bitch to work with, but you get a lot of nice colors when you fume the clear with silver.

Unfortunantly, all my tube is the wrong size, because the size chart I printed out and based my order on is all wrong. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Cumslut1895 posted:

See, [glass rod and tubing] is an example of something I wouldn't buy. Aren't you concerned about toxic dyes (or whatever the equivalent glass word is)

With silicate glass the coloring agents tend to be metallic ions and can be pretty nasty customers; such as Cadmium, chromium, uranium, arsenic. These are the things I know and want in the glass already.
In fact, if you've eaten or drunk from 'lead crystal' that's about 20%~80% lead by weight.

Don't worry though, because (normally) silicate glasses are very good at containing whatever is mixed into them. So in ordinary use a very rare atom or two of these impurities may escape into your drink/weed/potato salad, but you won't find it without intense chemical scrutiny.

So, unless you are attacking the glass with certain acids, or melting the glass over a torch and breathing the resultant fumes, it's nothing to worry about.

The problems with china glass are more that they are less consistent from batch to batch, and are less worried about having exactly the same Coefficient Of Expansion as advertised.

The COE is what determines if two glasses are compatible with one another. If they aren't close enough, then two glasses melted and adhered to one another will expand/contract at different rates and basicly try to tear each other apart. China black is especialy notorious for this.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Whelp. Amazon owed me $3, so I went straight to Aliexpress.

A list of my purchases and how they will kill me!...

a few single-serve packs of charcoal Black Head remover peel. It's probably some sort of super-acid instead of face-glue gel.

a couple orders of that "rub your fingers smoke effect" stuff that occasionally burns holes in people's fingers

2 fidget spinners. They look exactly like the ones the gas station around the corner has for $10 each. At full speed they will break apart into high speed, razor sharp plastic shards.

A pincushion. Like all cloth objects on Ali, it is 90% cancer and 10% carcinogens.