Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

This show is real good, and in a shocking twist, kyoani is very good at making shows that are very pretty while still being super faithful to the source. And not only that, but the added scenes fit in perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I keep watching this clip because the shading is so good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I was kinda put off by the first episode. Especially the scene where Kobayashi stripped Tooru in public and screamed at her to be more embarrassed. But this episode won me back

Yeah that scene was not in the manga from what I remember and is the one added scene I don't like, plus it's not in character for Kobayashi. The rest have been great and totally fit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The heartwarming(?) story of Kobayashi and the Dopey Dragons.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The name tag bit was not even 30 seconds long and the best part of the entire series so far.

I don't think there is any reason at all to still be worried about this adaptation, especially considering half the episode was entirely new.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Comrade Kirov posted:

Gay dragon show is great, I enjoy the amazing fantasy elements of it like:

350$ kid backpack.
:shepspends:

Maybe Tohru's facts aren't actually alternative.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm sure the dub will add "but I'm not gay" after every line of Kobayashi's speech this episode about people being afraid of people who are different from them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm guessing episode after next. Possibly teased next episode. She's a good friend for Kobayashi.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kobayashi's speech in the latest episode has a lot more meaning if you think she's a closeted lesbian.

That being said, there isn't really anything in the story that strictly depends on her orientation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

seriously I danced around it before but now with this dumb poo poo there's no way to pretend there weren't heavy undertones of 'get it, girl who's super into me and I keep being awkward and standoffish with? Society tends to grind down people who are too different or odd, so it's very hard to be 'special' sometimes'. I don't know if this was in the manga or not but the sub is at least very much leaning to 'Kobayashi is probably in the closet'.

That whole half of the episode was entirely new.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hi this episode was good thanks for your time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Isn't it also a longer running series? Those tend to have lower traction apart from the occasional person binging through one, from what I've seen.

And I'm in a Masamune's Revenge state. Not sure how to feel about that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

you made me look this up and what the gently caress are these this is not pizza

I will join you in destroying Rhode Island for this crime. This is worse than Chicago's.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad whoever does these is doing them. I have to say though,

quote:

Another fairly minor point, but here she’s saying “I don’t think I’d call those feelings ‘regret’.” not “I don’t want to […].” (だけど私はその気持ちを後悔とは呼ばないと思います). Not a big difference, but possibly an important one depending on how deeply you care to read into things.

That's not really a minor difference in meaning.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Full Metal Panic, and just a whole bunch of nothing until now

I assume you are including Fumoffu there.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Comrade Kirov posted:

So... If I'd like to support these sort of sweet and nice shows to be adapted more often in this high quality way, buying the blurays is customary right?

I don't think I'd be able to explain a figurine to my wife, but a bluray can be easily disguised among the shelves...

Anyway, know any place that ships these blurays down to Europe?

Anyway, let's do some sad fan-art...

Thank you Miss Kobayashi... :sadwave:

Get your wife to watch the show and then convince her that you should get the figure.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dragons: no sense of right and wrong.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would like some original stuff to help flesh out Elma.

Also we still have the hot springs episode to go.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am glad that the little wooden gorilla carving keeps showing up, and I'm glad Fafnir has a nice boyfriend.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 16, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Would Fafnir buy microtransaction stuff?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FortMan posted:

What are you talking about. There's a manga series. Eight volumes of them.

I think you mean 4.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Will she be kept as pretty clearly just a good friend of Kobayashi as in the manga, or will kyoani do an anime original dragon maid NTR route?

Only time will tell.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hosed up that Lucoa is being body shamed.

Also Kobayashi is wrong I will stay a child forever.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 23, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

My favourite part was Tohru being sad that it would be hard to introduce Kobayashi to her parents because they wouldn't understand their relationship :smith:

I will understand the relationship of my daughter, Tohru, and her wife Kobayashi.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That was really sad though. :(

Why'd you tell her to kill all humans then!

I am not that father. I have adopted her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I will marry Elma.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

This isn't how negotiations with Kyoani work.

You've gotta demand that they kiss, and then if you're lucky you'll get Tohru combing out Kobayashi's ponytail

Good enough for me.

Wait! I meant that's not good enough kyoani!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

English dub: "Tohru may be a maid, but she can also be my friend, who I am not interested in as I am not gay."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

She's not in the intro, so it's unlikely she'll make the cut. Which is good, the show already has enough fanservice, and even compared to Lucoa/Shota, Ilulu is some HIGH OCTANE fetishism.

Having glanced over the manga and listening to people on this thread, it seems like KyoAni is really smoothing over the rougher edges of the source material, which is great.

I like the manga, but yeah this adaptation definitely improves on it. I look forward to more of the best dragon, Elma.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Lucoa stuff is anime original as I recall, apart from the existence of Shouta and the chapter introducing him. Maybe kyoani just dreams of being smothered by giant boobs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No kissing in kyoani shows.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has to be fake. There was no "But I am in fact not gay."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Other cases where the dub is the correct choice: Big O, Panty and Stocking, ROD, Gundam Wing

This is not one of those cases. They're probably even going to make a gamergate joke.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kobayashi is a good mom and has good friends and a good wife.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

is this a short, angry mom or an angry kindergartener

Please don't mock the nice lady's kyoani hands.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The dad is director or something of Kobayashi's company and apparently took seriously her claims about the one guy harassing her.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like the sort of relationship Fafnir and Lucoa have with Tohru. You can tell they are older, more role model like dragons to her just the same way she is to Kanna.

I like Elma being more of a friend for Kobayashi than having any relation to Tohru, since she already has Fafnir and Lucoa.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They should stop bullying my friend Elma so much, tempting as it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best mom.

• Locked thread