Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show is cute+cool+good. KyoAni doing their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Terper posted:

There needs to be a third thread, so we have two mom threads and a kid thread

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Also I wouldn't doubt KyoAni's ability to make good SoL anime.

Indeed, I would put good odds on the anime turning out better than the manga.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Today's episode owned. I remain a complete loving sucker for Kobayashi's happy gay family and all the associated gags and warm fuzzies. Fafnir getting loving owned by the mimic was also hilarious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I believe in KyoAni.

:yeah:

Also, if episode 4 adapts all the material I think it's going to Particularly the Parent's Day chapter, which involves Iruru trying and failing to get Kanna to destroy Kobayashi's work, I think that'll give us a pretty clear idea whether Iruru is ever going to show up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Very Good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show is just so great. Gay Dragon Family is The Best, Fafnir is The Best, Kanna is The Best, Saikawa is The Best, Dodgeball is The Best.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Her forehead is delightfully shiny

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There is room in my heart for both shows.

MaiDragon is head-and-shoulders better tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fafnir is lowkey pretty great.

"What happened?"
"A duel!"
"I'll kill them."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Beasteh posted:

I actually teared up at one point because this show is so loving cute god drat

Kobayashi and Tohru doting on Kanna just loving slays me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The subbed anime definitely seems to be having Kobayashi reciprocate Tohru's advances significantly more enthusiastically than I recall her doing in the manga, which I would say is a straight up improvement. Doesn't really cost much in terms of humor, gives the show more emotional resonance.

Also having Kobayashi actively deny Tohru's advances seems like it kind of makes Tohru into a badgering lesbian stereotype, which doesn't really seem like a positive addition to me.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do kinda wish they'd made this callback a little more obvious. I like the idea but I and most folks on my twitter feed COMPLETELY missed it on the first go around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

good, die fuckre. Childfree forever

Don't you ever come near my daughter again

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

But that's a tri-tail?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hambeef posted:

this guy sucks

Motherfucker kept interrupting Riko's introduction! :argh:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean. it's changing a line from something really innocuous to something that completely changes the context of everything, in a really bad way, that kind of ruins a part of the show people like and lots of lgbt people i've seen connect with. that's why people are mad.

The dub writer's defensive stance made the twitter drama a lot worse than it needed to be, too. "I'm sorry people were hurt by the decision, I'll try to do better" would have defused things pretty well, "this is the obvious right way to read the character you dumb babies" ruined a decent chance to let people assume the best intentions.

But whatever. I didn't even care that much for the dub anyway.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

symphogear...dub

HSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You totally could read Kobayashi as not being romantically interested in Tohru, but I don't really see how that would make the story stronger unless the show goes out of its way to make a point about them not needing to be in love, which I don't really expect. As it stands, reading Kobayashi that way mostly just seems to make the story more melancholy than I think it really needs to be.

Also yeah, the dub writer was making way more assumptions about Kobayashi's character than seems like a good idea for a localization job.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In summary:

https://twitter.com/takasaki_sister/status/827961250944421888

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yamada Ep and Parents' Day Ep should be extremely extremely good. I'm excite.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

The long tail gaze is a sign that Kobayashi is working through some things.

Kanna's friend getting shorter and shorter cuts is great.

Yeah, the tail bit might be the most impressive job the show's done of weaving together the absurd and the sweet elements of its premise. And yeah, the way they're playing Saikawa's crush is hilarious.

All the little vignettes were really good, honestly. Tohru and Fafnir's chat was a real highlight. The bgm was really good there too.Glad Fafnir got some focus, he's a lot of fun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Between the fact that she hasn't even been hinted at yet, even in the OP or ED, and what I've seen of the upcoming previews (which adapt material explicitly set after she shows up), I'm starting to feel pretty confident we won't see her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tohru's is a powerful thirst.

Endorph posted:

im glad fafnir got a boyfriend

:yeah:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I let the youtube playlist go for a while after listening to the OP and man, Fhana's stuff is all really good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

what happens when fafnir plays the legend of heroes: dragon slayer

He probably likes killing dragons, tbh. Assert dominance. Steal their loot.

Sure didn't seem to mind it when he was playing Sark Douls a couple of eps ago.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DAMMIT YOU BEAT ME TO THAT ONE

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheSaintPrince/status/829717959660621826

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The people who only post in the shounen and Adult Swim threads don't count.

Judgy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Maryland's GabDro. It's good. Nothing life changing, doesn't have anything particularly insightful on its mind, but still a cute and well-executed comedy IMO. Satan's daughter is incredibly precious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

This is worse than Chicago's.

I thought we were past this heresy

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just rewatched and...man, the cinematography in this show is just superb. All the big conversations - Tohru/Kobayashi at work, Tohru/Fafnir at the crossing, Tohru/Kobayashi bending spoons are just shot so ridiculously well, and the body language sells all the emotions going on in the scenes so well, goddamn. They keep doing it and yet I'm always impressed. KyoAni is a treasure.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I dunno, I feel like I got the spirit behind it as it was.

Granted, I've spent years watching often-janky anime subs, so I might just be used to doing extra work in my head.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

These have probably been seen by everyone, but...

I just realized, Fafnir has coat-tails.

:stare:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:same:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KyoAni is A Good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have yet to watch a KyoAni thing that I would give anything less than a B+.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Sandman posted:

Even Kyoukai no Kanata?

Yet to watch. AmaBri was the B+, Haruhi, K-ON, Both Euphos, Hyouka, and so far all of this are As.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

tamako market is the worst yamada show by far so be ready for that. though it's not even, like, super bad, it just has a lot of fluff that unlike k-on isn't really in service to the characters or, really, anything, and it kind of outnumbers the genuinely great moments

the movie makes up for it though

Eh, I've kinda paused on my "let's watch all the KyoAni shows" thing for now, so I don't have any burning need to get to it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

!!!!!

• Locked thread