Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Apparently the OVA is the hot springs and also the Valentine's chapters? Which seems like a bit of a weird fit TBH. It's the one where Tohru tries to spike Kobayashi's valentine's chocolate with a love potion and gets owned, which I'm not sure really fits Tohru's character anymore if this is set after the finale. We'll see how it goes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

In a shocking twist ending to the valentines arc, Tohru decides she doesn't need the love potion and Koba gets drunk and handsy like usual

Definitely the outcome I'm rooting for

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, Elma is cool and cuddly and sadly underused.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

In more worksafe news: http://archiveofourown.org/works/10573176 - a favorite fanfic author of mine wrote their take on Tohru and Kanna meeting the Kobayashis, and it is extremely good.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

I just marathoned this series over 2 days. So good, but I'm sad there's not more. Anyone have similar anime recommendations?

Only vaguely similar, but Hyouka is another, extremely good show from the same director and studio as this one.

As far as family stuff...maybe try Alice & Zoroku? It's currently airing and only has 2 eps out so far, but it's got some similar strengths IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Explosions posted:

Flying Witch has siblings instead of smooches and cute dumb witches instead of cute dumb dragons but it'll get your needs met.

Oooh that's a good rec. I'll second that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

#1. Himouto Umaru-chan!
#2. Ms. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
#3. Flip Flappers

I don't really think Flip Flappers needs a sequel, if that's what this is implying.

Now, a Yayaka-centric spinoff, on the other hand...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Idle curiosity - do we know if the song was written for the show or if the show just licensed it or whatever?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SirSlarty posted:

Good show. Great animation, over-the-top self-aware fanservice, good themes of friend ship, devotion and family, though the show needed more Faffy and his boyfriend.

The only thing that bothered me was, what's with Kobayashi's eyes?

....I dunno? They're kinda droopy and squinty because she stares at screens a lot?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mostly like her reaction to seeing Tohru in a wedding dress.

Takiya and Fafnir looking dapper as gently caress too

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

I'm sure they'll get tired eventually

Pfft.

In a hundred years, maybe.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Who thought it was a good idea to make them straight?

Jaysus

Why do you think Tohru has beef with God?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Personally I never really had a problem with that line myself because even in the subbed version I felt part of Kobayashi's arc was pretty much that of a repressed lesbian becoming open to being in a gay relationship. Her whole speech in episode 2 about humans rejecting things that aren't normal just screamed that at me.

A big part of her character is that she doesn't really know what she wants because shes so emotionally repressed. Saying she's not gay (at that point) doesn't actually mean anything imo.

I can see why it'd piss people off though and it wasn't the smartest translation.

Eh, Kobayashi seemed pretty open and at peace with being way into Big 'Ol Tiddies from episode 1 to me. It was actual meaningful human(ish) connections she wasn't too hot on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

yeah kannas daily life is good. its not as witty or impactful I'd say, but also lacks any of Cool's perversions, so it's just a chill medium

That's honestly about the strongest recommendation I could imagine for Kanna's Daily Life, actually. The manga was at its worst when it was going maximum horny, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

^ iruru figured out hands earlier yeah

chapter 48 was ok hand emoji. heres a full-page spread for the important moment

awwwwwwwwww :3:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Pushing the Lucoa/Shota as big sister/little brother dynamic was the best new direction the anime took, it gave the relationship a lot of new depth and humor.

Yeah, it actually made their dynamic better as it went on when you would think it would either disappear or get worse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...When's the OVA supposed to be happening, again? October?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well, I'm sure somebody's drawn that doujin

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KANNA

Tohru didn't raise her daughter to be losing to no stinkin' Order Dragon.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Fuckin poo poo I'm gonna have to lay down the queerbaiting card. Just let them loving kiss or interlock fingers or SOMETHING.

Never watch Sound Euphonium

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

Also I think Hyouka does what it does with the understated romance really, really well. You don't realize it after the first viewing but by the second or third watch it's pretty clear that Oreki and Chitanda are very, very thirsty for each other. But it is in neither of their natures to make too direct a move.

Yeah. I've soured pretty hard on the way Euphonium turned out, largely due to some rather gross undertones from the novels making themselves increasingly difficult to adapt around, but for the most part KyoAni's understated way with romance really jives well with me and they're really good at writing characters in ways that justify it. I've said before in this same thread, but Kobayashi isn't so different from Oreki in a lot of ways.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Agronox posted:

It is not so very different from the fractal Tohrus in the OP, is it not?

The Tohru's are all smiling, at least

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thiiiiink they could maybe rework Iruru into something decent, but it would require slashing and burning parts of her characters and gags with more impunity than I'm entirely sure KyoAni has. There's one short arc in particular that I'd say is basically unsalvageable.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, given how, er, specific a lot of MaiDragon's kinks get I'd say the mangaka's pretty earnestly into that poo poo.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Congratulations, Mrs and Mrs Kobayashi

Also I liked the gag with the Aztec idol letting out a disappointed moan when Kobayashi offers it a beer instead of a human heart

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the show wrapped up its themes pretty nicely and firmly by the time it ended. I don't really know what they would do with a season 2 that wouldn't just be retreading old ground. and I don't get the impression that MaiDragon was popular enough for them to make another season just to milk it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GIVE *clap emoji* ELMA *clap emoji* A *clap emoji* GIRLFRIEND *clap emoji*

Or, hell, even a boyfriend

Just someone she can cuddle with that isn't just a very large croissant.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

esselfortium posted:

So you're saying she doesn't need a cute cinnamon roll?

Cinnamon Rolls are delicious but I do not think they can provide the sort of love and companionship Elma deserves

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

Maybe Elma could date a cafe owner? She visits the same place everyday because how delicious their pastries are and smiles at the owner everytime since she's so happy about eating it. After a while she gets asked out and goes to Kobayashi for advice in a mild state of panic. After being encouraged to give it a shot she goes on a date and the cafe owner brought some of her favorite foods along.

Approve

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Only gay dragons on my gay dragon show, thanks.

No one said it was a straight cafe owner

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

UchihaHirou posted:

Apparently there's new episodes of Maid Doragon. Didn't even know since it wasn't listed in the Winter Anime thread, but episode 14 is already out.

It's a bonus OVA that's been floating around the fansub scene for a while. Valentines day! Hot Springs! Watch it! It's good!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

site posted:

Since this thread is getting views again the official translation the kannas daily life v1 came out a couple weeks ago, in case anyone hadn't read it yet, it's good and cute

I actually liked it better than the original manga, to be honest. Cuts out almost all the horny and hones in on the Kobayashi's being an adorable family and hanging out with their dork friends. I prefer the art style to Kyoushinja's usual fare, too. Wouldn't mind seeing it get animated one day.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She has one appearance in the first volume of the Kanna manga where she kind of comes across like Kobayashi's dropout friend who crashes on the couch occasionally, might be some kind of mileage in that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sometimes media we like has gross things in and it's important that we distinguish between the parts of a thing we find gross and not ignore them just because they're tied to a thing we find resonant or good

And sometimes we're lucky and we get spinoff manga that focuses more specifically on the parts we like, yay Kanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't really care for Kyoushinja's actual art, tbh. The Kanna spinoff is clearly trying to ape the look of the show and I wind up liking it much better for it. Iruru's brief appearance has her look/act much more like Kobayashi's dropout friend who crashes on the couch occasionally as opposed to what I remember of the manga having her look like an evil mutant Kanna.

• Locked thread