Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

NOW JUST WAIT ONE SECOND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess you might have to worry about that if this was an adaptation of any of the other's other works

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Che Delilas posted:

I'm really pleased with the quality of this show. They could have :effort:-ed their way through adapting what is basically a gag manga and probably still had a decently funny show purely based on the source material. Instead they gave a poo poo and put in a lot of subtle touches (particularly with sound) that really make it stand on its own.

improving on source material is pretty much kyoani's thing, there are very few adaptations from them that aren't a straight improvement on what they're adapting, even if it's pretty good to begin with

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the dub is extreme aids and her comments on it are extremely bad but also please don't go to her twitter just to yell at her about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just gays bein pays

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
digimaid, digital maidragons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pollyanna posted:

Really the only thing bugging me about the line change is that culture is in enough of a precarious position that people are really sensitive to things that can be construed as anti-LGBT in any possible sense. poo poo's kinda touch and go right now and that might explain the reaction.

i mean. it's changing a line from something really innocuous to something that completely changes the context of everything, in a really bad way, that kind of ruins a part of the show people like and lots of lgbt people i've seen connect with. that's why people are mad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is the real reason symphogear will never get a dub

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Space Flower posted:

Plausible deniability doesn't mean change the line to "I'm straight, no thanks," is my hot take

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

im glad fafnir got a boyfriend

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what happens when fafnir plays the classic dungeon crawling rpg dragon slayer

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

dragon gayer

sorry, you're thinking of the kiseki series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tohru: can you let fafnir stay with you
takiya: sure, neither of us have had any character development after all
tohru: what does that even mean
takiya: it means we're not gay yet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

With that thing they called pizza? They deserve no respect

you made me look this up and what the gently caress are these this is not pizza

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
deep-dish pizza can at least be called pizza

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

devtesla posted:

It's the first good show KyoAni's made in years :can:

eupho was good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yet to watch. AmaBri was the B+, Haruhi, K-ON, Both Euphos, Hyouka, and so far all of this are As.

tamako market is the worst yamada show by far so be ready for that. though it's not even, like, super bad, it just has a lot of fluff that unlike k-on isn't really in service to the characters or, really, anything, and it kind of outnumbers the genuinely great moments

the movie makes up for it though

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 12, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of the stuff that was weird in the manga was still kinda weird but everything at the end, with tohru and kobayashi cuddling under the umbrella and fafnir thinking on how much he likes takiya, was perfect

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the next season, fullmaidal panic

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I also loved that Takiya was making a bullet hell that totally looks like a solid bullet hell.

fafnir, dodging every bullet covering the entire screen with perfect accuracy: "you need to make this fight harder"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DisDisDis posted:

Linking jonjonaug today is some A+ comedic timing lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Nuebot posted:

I know nothing about twitter nerds so what's the story here?

adtrw user banned for being a pedophile

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sure didn't take long to see something worse than episode 6 of maidragon

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

skaianDestiny posted:

my name is Kanna
and wen its day,
or when my fam
go out to bay,
and all my friends
haf a sunscreen dab -
I go to beach.
I eat the crab.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not a super high profile kyoani show so they probably never expected it to do as well as some of their heavy hitters, anyway

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's how i'd wear a suit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll protect elma *gets evaporated by laser beam*

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the luccoa stuff is dumb but it was like a combined twenty seconds out of the whole episode and i don't think there's much they could do with her and shouta that i would find as interesting or fun as the rest of the cast so i can't really begin to care

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Sandman posted:

Aren't they finishing FMP later this year, though?

they're not involved with the new fmp

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

that line doesn't even remotely fit in the scene what why

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Good dubs are nice sometimes, but they're also extremely thin on the ground. The only ones I can name off the top of my head are the Evangelion Rebuilds and Haruhi dubs, and even in those cases it's kind of undercut by the original VA's being INCREDIBLY good.

ouran high school, cowboy bebop, redline and space dandy are the four really good dubs i can name off the top of my head, and space dandy is kind of a special case

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
space dandy's dub is good but also that was kind of a special thing instead of being some random simuldub anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

is this a short, angry mom or an angry kindergartener

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i approve of shouta being part of what i assume is an entire family tree of doofy-looking dark wizards

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i refuse to believe shouta's dad is not a well-meaning doofy guy who can summon dark spirits to do his bidding

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there has never been a kyoani adaptation that was less fleshed out than the source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
elma's cool but she also busted into tohru's house and tried to fight her for wanting to live in the human world at all, and her deciding to stick around as an office worker and let tohru continue to just do whatever probably isn't what most order dragons would do

• Locked thread