Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Wrong thread. My apologies.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its not the same without the fart sound effect

https://files.catbox.moe/cndnwc.webm

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Something I'm hoping this adaptation alters in regards to the order of future events:

In the manga, Tohru's father shows up before Elma does. In the former encounter it is only through Kobayashi's support that Tohru is able to summon the confidence she needs to truly stand up to him. In other words it is the bond and life in the human world she's forged with Kobayashi that wins the day. It is a key chapter in driving home just how far their relationship has come. In it Tohru never directly asks for Kobayashi's help, but Kobayashi seeing the very best thing that's ever happened to her about to be taken away steps up to the plate and fights for her like only she can.

In the latter, Elma's appearance is treated as a joke. Tohru repeatedly makes a fool of her and there is never any danger of her possibly forcing Tohru to give up on living in the human world. In the manga, because this comes after Tohru's father there's no fanfare or tension. It's just a silly funny good time. By reversing the order for the anime, Elma's appearance and desire to bring Tohru back could act as foreshadowing for her father to show up later. Sort of a this was only a taste; she won't be the last one. What will Tohru do when a more no nonsense dragon like her father shows up that she alone can't argue with? It would flow so much better.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 10, 2017

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Unless they totally change the contents therein I'm going to assume the Valentine's Day chapter will never be covered. The first warning sign for this came in episode 2 when they added the anime original sequence of Kobayashi feeding Kanna chocolate. In the manga, Kanna's first learns of chocolate during the Valentine chapter when she watches Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory on TV and wants to try some for herself.

The chapter itself is pretty horrible for Tohru's character and is an example of one of the worst things about the manga. It undermines everything it tries to establish for her characters for the sake of stupid petty jokes. In it Tohru makes magic aphrodisiac chocolate and tries to give them to Kobayashi who of course suspects foul play and warns her of the value of trust and how it cannot be easily mended once broken. Instead of wanting Kobayashi to choose her of her own free will, Tohru is willing to basically drug/mind control her in order to force her to "love" her. The fact that she even considering doing this let alone nearly succeeded shows just how little respect she has for Kobayashi.

The current anime's depiction of Tohru and manga Tohru are two very different beasts now. So if we do get some kind of Valentine's day content, it will be nothing like the manga. It's something I couldn't even fathom anime Tohru doing. Sadly, for the sake of comedy the manga often turns Tohru into a pretty awful .... dragon for again the sake of a quick stupid gag. She's not the only one, there are moments and chapters in the manga that seem to be completely at odds with it's overall themes of family and connecting with those different from us. Themes the anime is chooses to focus on and emphasize. They only choose to adapt the comedic moments/chapters from the manga that doesn't belittle its characters for no good reason.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 14, 2017

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Hope you had your eyes closed while skimming through this thread Fangz. On several occasions pages straight from the manga have been posted including some that have yet to be adapted. In fact there's a recent one that will be covered in Wednesday;s episode. Spoilers! Hope you didn't look!

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 14, 2017

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Normies getting bent out of shape over Maid Dragon continues to be both sad and amusing. All of things they find offensive, creepy, off-putting, etc in fiction I either enjoy or am indifferent to. I'd already encountered them in far more explicit circumstances in other forms of fiction and they didn't bother me then. It was always sort of oh that's a thing or I never knew that existed type deal. This is not even a case of desensitization. Like say you walk into your relatives house with their floors soaked with dog piss and the smell is so awful you can barely stand it, but over time you just got used to it. Nothing like that.

It's fiction. Part of our minds, the sometimes rational parts, knows that everything we see in Maid Dragon is nothing more than a series of ideas cobbled together and represented through writing, drawings, sounds, etc to simulate an experience. The simulation works so well it invokes real emotions. We cry and feel awful when a character dies as if a real person had passed away.

The manga ending to Usagi Drop, Shiro panties in NGNL, anything in Kodomo no Jikan? All that and many others never even remotely bothered or upset me. There's always been that very clear divide that keeps normies on one side of the anime and manga fandom. This is that divide. They see those things that are often considered in society to be immoral, unethical, unlawful, and wrong in the real world depicted in some form in fiction and cannot deal with it. Those fictional kids are being exploited or that fictional character is being molested or raped! This is not right! Someone think of the well being of the made up people in these fabricated events!

Incest? So? Rape! Your point? Child Molestation! It's not real. Can you tell? No matter how close to reality fiction depicts certain characters or events it's never anything more than fiction. It's sort of like The Treachery of Images painting by René Magritte. It's times like these I'm reminded how unlike most people I really am. Oh and by the way the censored line during the Lucoa scene at Kobayashi's pace was that she had raped her sister. Rape and incest at the same time! Now that's going too far! Delete! They apparently felt the mere mention of those things was too much. Wonder if the normies would have had a crying fit if they had left it in.

It's extra funny when you understand that by censoring the manga at points, but then not doing so at other points for the animated adapted they've actually made the blow harder for normies unfamiliar with the source to take. They had no idea what they were in for. No! Not my wholesome family dragon maid anime experience! My eyes! No! Get it away! Make it stop! I love the manga and I love the direction they decided to take it for the adaptation which is as it's supposed to be not a one to one copy, but a reinterpretation of the given material at least to a certain extent.

As far as the absolutely ridiculous notion that fictional immorality effects real people, I refer you to this image.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Part of the issue is that people want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to come into a show totally blind and unspoiled knowing nothing at all about it. A show that could well contain some elements that put them off, that they don't want any part of.
It's fine to not want to experience those unpleasant things in your fictional entertainment, but you can't choose to watch a show that contains them, cry about it, and when asked why you watched a show that had X unpleasant things in it, your only response is that you didn't know better because you didn't do the proper research since you wanted to be spoiler free.

Imagine yourself sitting down at a restaurant, menu in hand. How much effort do you go into to ensure you know exactly what's in the meal you plan to order, that you know and are okay with each individual ingredient you're going to be shoving into your body in the next few minutes? You don't just order some random thing of the menu without knowing what you're getting right? Surely not. Not if you don't want to live …. dangerously.

Viewer discretion is advised. Everyone here should be familiar with this phrase. This pretty much applies to any rating above G or E for everyone, etc. It is your responsibility to do your due diligence and make sure you are aware of all the ingredients of a work before you consume it. Otherwise you don't get to complain when it has something you didn't want to experience. Problem is you can't do that and be spoiler free at the same time. Pick your poison.

The IMDB parental guide section for a piece of work is a great source for this. It details without any context all of the objectionable material in a given work, yes, this includes anime series. Even with no context they still give away the fact certain things are going to happen so they do more or less spoil events. That's the price you pay for knowing exactly what you're going to get.

So when you see a show rated TV MA or a movie rated R or a game rate M or again anything above the lowest, safest rating for your country, that's a huge, loud, blaring, warning siren to stop and use discretion before proceeding any further. To make sure you know what you're in for because it is no one's fault but yours should you decide sink your teeth into that pumpkin cake with walnuts when you're allergic to walnuts. I didn't know! I didn't want to be spoiled! That's the price you pay for that fully blind first time experience.

• Locked thread