Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fangz posted:

What good friends they are.

Official bluray extras.

I'm glad they got married. :3:

Also, it really came off to me that rather than repressing she was gay Kobayashi was just unable to accept the fact that someone was sincerely in love with her. Especially as overtly as Tohru was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, I missed a lot of chapters. Volume 5 was a lot better than the previous volume, I liked the stuff with Tohru and Elma and there was a lot of nice moments with Tohru and Kobayashi. It reminds me though that the anime did a lot of the characters better than the manga, Lucoa and Shouta are probably the weakest parts of the anime but they're still better than in the manga and Saikawa is a whole lot less weird.

The Kanna manga is pretty cute though. Is it just a different artist or is Cool not the author either?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elma would win if they were eating deserts but Kanna would win if it were anything else.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thiiiiink they could maybe rework Iruru into something decent, but it would require slashing and burning parts of her characters and gags with more impunity than I'm entirely sure KyoAni has. There's one short arc in particular that I'd say is basically unsalvageable.

If it's the arc i'm thinking of Iruru isn't even around that much for it though she's the catalyst. It's one of the worst chapters of anything i've read though and I can't imagine Kyoani adapting it. I'd also say Iruru's gags are basically just Lucoa's so that'd be not super hard to change. She has big breasts and gets naked for jokes about "wow what big breasts". Except she's a teen so it's weirder though she doesn't have strange scenes with a 10 year old at least. There's one other joke that is bad but it only exists for a chapter and later chapters have just removed it.

Anyway the latest translated volume before the season aired was volume 4, which was Iruru's introduction and it legitimately had several really bad chapters, that could turn you off the series as a whole. Since then two volumes have been translated and if I didn't already know the chapters from those volumes must have been released before the anime I might've thought the manga was taking some inspiration from the show for tone and stuff. Just lots of sweet stories with some of the worst gags disappearing and generally being really solid chapters. The author just writes whatever he wants though so it could go back to being super pervy at any time but if Kyoani just uses the recently translated volumes for the basis of Iruru in the anime then it'll be more than fine imo.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 11, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you talking about the chapter where Iruru gives Kobayashi a penis and she spends the whole chapter getting turned on by Kana?

Yeah along with other terrible stuff. That chapter's awful. I highly doubt it would be adapted in a potential season 2. There's enough material there they don't need it and most of it is way more in line with the tone of the show.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

There's a spin off manga by someone else for you, friend. Unfortunately I don't have the link but you can probably find it in recent batoto uploads.

Wait that's actually starting to get translated?

Hopefully it's good.

E: It was.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 12, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Still no link :(
(A cursory glance failed to find it)

Here you go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Secretly they were actually always best friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

site posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a spinoff about kanna too? Did that ever materialize

Quick check on Batoto says it exists and is ongoing but no chapters have been translated since the 1st like 3 months ago.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus, I just started catching up with the manga and I completely forgot that Iruru is supposed to be Tohru's age. :shepface: Manga artists, man.

I don't think she is, or they decided to retcon that at some point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zeruel posted:

yo ok i gotta read this.
how far in is this?

The most recent chapter

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

No they are still stated as being the same age.

Yeah, I checked again Tohru does say that in a recent chapter. Though same chapter Iruru says she's apparently about 16 when in human form and that's basically the age everyone treats her as. So I think maybe Dragons are just weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think she was just told to say that was her age.

I mean it's for her job and Tohru gets her that job by saying they're the same age. So I don't think she'd have a reason to change the story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

site posted:

I've actually held off of reading the originals manga specifically cuz I've heard it gets gross from this thread so i was bracing myself while i read it and was pleasantly surprised :)

I think when the anime came out the latest translated volume had some legitimately really bad chapters so those were fresh in peoples mind even if the comic for the most part was pretty decent I thought.

All the recently translated stuff has been really good though. Like, not even just the Kanna spin-off. The latest chapters of the main series have been pretty cool and fun as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The biggest problem with Iruru is her design and I don't think they need to adapt that straight. Her like actual role in the story and her appearances and such are fine outside of a couple of bad gags, but Lucoa also has a couple of bad gags so Kyoani has shown that's not a thing that's impossible to work around.

Her as Tohru's lovely teenage daughter who doesn't like her and has no job and doesn't go to school is pretty funny in the chapters that gets play and I don't really think she's the biggest obstacle for a 2nd season or anything.

• Locked thread