Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Don't listen to his lies! This is the one true cannon thread, as evidenced by the fact that it has the best title and I don't feel like following three different threads.

Also I wouldn't doubt KyoAni's ability to make good SoL anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kanna continues to be a terrible dragon by not immediately obliterating any who dare oppose her. At least she has excellent role models like Tohru to teach her the true way.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Che Delilas posted:

I'm really pleased with the quality of this show. They could have :effort:-ed their way through adapting what is basically a gag manga and probably still had a decently funny show purely based on the source material. Instead they gave a poo poo and put in a lot of subtle touches (particularly with sound) that really make it stand on its own.

KyoAni and :effort: don't really mix. Even their random nonsense is lovingly animated in ways other studios only dream of doing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't eat anything with more than four legs or less than two.

People who refuse to eat seafood are closed-minded idiots.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dublish posted:

Haruhi was like eleven years ago.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dublish posted:

Also she does not want to eat Tohru's tail, no matter how much Tohru wants her to.

It's clearly because Kobayashi is a peasant.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She moved back in when that job didn't pan out please don't make fun of her

I was just thinking how great it is that their niece gets along so well with her cousin while she's attending college in the area.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Hypha posted:

The amount of stuff I've ever actually watched from Japan I can put on my hands, so please forgive me but I don't know much at all. This is the first time I've really seen a kyoani show or at least liked it enough to learn who does it. I thought the standard film "rule" that the book is better than the movie applied here. I am quite happy to be wrong.

With anime, it's pretty much 50/50 whether or not the source is better, where usually some things are usually done better in the source material, and some things better in the animation. Who is animating it is a pretty massive component, and KyoAni is pretty special in that their stuff is almost guaranteed to be better than the source material.

Also welcome.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I want to say Hyouka also changed to be more LN-ish as opposed to before when it was more of a normal novel, but I don't really remember for sure.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rookoo posted:

Her design kind of sucks but I don't actually find it that offensive. I see her more as a midget/imp in the vain of midna from zelda rather than a kid.

Whether she adds anything good to the story is another matter though.

Yeah, I glanced at the manga just to see the character design everyone refused to shut up about, and it honestly didn't seem that bad (it did let me know that the original artwork is a bit rough to say the least, though)

But she's apparently not all that important anyway since the show's been perfectly fine without her.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Explosions posted:

Flying Witch has siblings instead of smooches and cute dumb witches instead of cute dumb dragons but it'll get your needs met.

Seconding this one.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'll be the bigger fool still holding out for Haruhi season 3...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

http://kotaku.com/my-eye-opening-trip-to-an-anime-maid-cafe-1795443946

In which the author hates the show and ends up going to a cringey Maid Dragon cafe in New Jersey.

I couldn't get through more than like five sentences of that lovely rant, but I'm kind of mad I missed a MaiDragon cafe in my state.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Dangerous lack of armflex.gif here.

This is a SFW subforum.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

A Dragon's whole tail would stretch your guts out like an accordion.

Just the tip?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zeruel posted:

Fuckin poo poo I'm gonna have to lay down the queerbaiting card. Just let them loving kiss or interlock fingers or SOMETHING.

It's not really queerbaiting, KyoAni just doesn't really do explicit romance plotlines. Just look at Haruhi or Hyouka and watch them just really try to completely ignore any actual romance in favor of just implying it.

I still find it generally annoying, though, and kind of wish KyoAni would just have a couple actually kiss or something (kisses they pretend never happened don't count).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Agronox posted:

Haruhi and Kyon get a somewhat ridiculous kiss in what is one of the best scenes of the show.

AnoHito posted:

(kisses they pretend never happened don't count).

:colbert:

E: v It definitely does, and I even really liked how they ended it with them both just very blatantly refusing to make a move. But it still kind of forms a pattern when the studio does it so drat often.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 29, 2017

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

I think her height changed a little to adjust her intended appearance of a teenager. I vaguely recall her originally appearing not too much larger than Kanna. I might be remembering wrong though.

When I glanced through it, she looked a little bit shorter than Kobayashi. I also couldn't really find a shot of her standing up straight, though so :shrug:

Seriously, her character design in the manga looked generally fine (aside from having tits big enough to be an abomination, and being extremely rough, like the entire manga looked), which just made all the complaining about her that much more confusing.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fangz posted:

I haven't read the manga, but do you think Iruru is something Kyoani can potentially 'rescue' with some changes?

Character design alone? Definitely. The anime looks pretty much nothing like the manga anyway.

From what little I've heard of her personality/subplots? No way in hell.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Elma and the Chocolate Factory (spoiler: It's about her turning into her dragon form and rampaging through a regular chocolate factory, gorging from vats and their packaged stock).

Hey, she'd never do something so chaotic! She'd just go full Shadowrun and acquire the company in a hostile corporate takeover, depriving millions of chocolate for her own selfish gluttony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

She's like a good foot taller then Kanna. She goes up to Toru's mouth hightwise just from quickly checking.

Yeah, looking at it, there's even a shot of her staring downward at Kanna imposingly. She really doesn't look like she's supposed to really look much younger than Kobayashi or Tooru. I mean, not that this manga doesn't seem to have a problem with sexualizing kids (it very clearly does), but this character doesn't really seem to be part of it.

• Locked thread