Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

........It would be easier to play off Lucoa's complete lack of morals and shame about showing her body to a child if Kobayashi also weren't 100% cool with it. Not a single "what are you DOING", and instead "yeah sure I guess she'll be a succubus to the kid for a while longer" :catstare:

e: I'm still watching, and gosh, Fafnir living with the otaku is just adorably cute. I'm still annoyed that to rec this to friends I'll have to add "and skip the first half of ep 6, it's bad", but...show's still good despite that part, so.

I just give a general caveat like, "There's some jokes that have implications, but if you can forgive or ignore that, it's a fun, cute time." I do wish I could just recommend more anime to people without qualifications like these, but I guess anime gotta anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Brainiac Five posted:

Bunch of babies in here who can't handle a dang Sigurd joke.

Sigurd is best boy. Literally.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

DisDisDis posted:

honestly if that joke was repeated verbatim in Gintama or something I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash but someone itt has told me Cool loves shotacon so it's hard to dismiss it as just a weird joke

It likely is fanservice for the author's perversions, as well as part of the larger cultural attitude that treats underage boys being taken advantage of by older women less seriously than the other way around. Just look at any story about a female teacher sleeping with a male student, every rear end in a top hat has the same joke about how he's the luckiest kid in school or whatever. But death of the author lets me get past it, and at least the core of the joke is consistent with the whole dragons not understanding human morays schtick. I do wish Kobayashi objected more in that scene at least, she was uncharacteristically quiet and it would have been a way to undercut the tension.

It's not going to stop me from enjoying the rest of the show, but I totally get why it would for some people, and I wish it was handled differently at least.

Agreeing that Fafnir's otaku bromance was a nice chaser and ended the ep on a high note.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, FWIW, I've heard a few folks say that translation's bad and the original line was the tongue-cleaning thing Kanna mouthed in the anime.

The line is ". . . shittakatta" which literally means "I wanted to do . . .", so it's pretty vague. The manga took some liberties to interpret it in the translation, and it seems like they were off.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tohru only understanding what maids are through pop/otaku culture and Kobayashi hating that will be gold forever.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

I feel like I missed the part where Kobayashi full on accepted they are together.
It went from full on "This crazy dragon is going to stay with me for a while I guess" to "I want to meet your parents." I mean I like the show and it's cute and stuff, but did I just glaze over some Kobayashi characterization?

It happened subtly over the series. She never explicitly says anything about it, there's no big scene or anything, but it's shown through her actions that Kobayashi has gradually developed mutual feelings for Tohru.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fangz posted:

Anyway, this is quite impressive

https://youtu.be/gdp_Z-HfM5M

That's just amazing, no other words.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Surely she could find a jacket that fit better

I know a lot of Americans that go to Japan have trouble finding clothes that fit if they're tall/fat, so maybe it's a riff on that? Or I'm overthinking it and the answer is just titties.

Elma is great and cute, episode was great and cute.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Space Flower posted:

It's just her Thing

I just realized outside of work she wears her jacket the same way she wears her traditional outfit thing. That's great.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

The irony of you calling Shouta 'shota' :pervert:

It's not ironic if he's literally named after that.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 2, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Yep. Lucoa even calls him "Shouta-kun". It's not subtle.

Also I looked at that timg'd image up there and wow. This thread had hinted at her, but I didn't realize how bad the character who hopefully isn't going to be in this is.

She's not in the intro, so it's unlikely she'll make the cut. Which is good, the show already has enough fanservice, and even compared to Lucoa/Shota, Ilulu is some HIGH OCTANE fetishism.

Having glanced over the manga and listening to people on this thread, it seems like KyoAni is really smoothing over the rougher edges of the source material, which is great.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

On another topic, I noticed the Japanese title is "Kobayashi-san chi no maidoragon", and I'm not sure what the 'chi' means in that context. Is there a goon better at Japanese than me who could explain?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

z0glin Warchief posted:

long story short it's basically "household", so it's kind of like "the Kobayashis' place's maid dragon". gives it a little more of a homey/family feeling

Thanks!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Lucoa plotline definitely seems like it doesn't fit in the show. Fafnir, he moves in with the guy, next time we see them we see how they live and get the confession and everything. Lucoa, she moves in with Shota, and every time after that, it's just boobs. All the other characters have stories about how they're getting something they need from these relationships, and it seemed like they were setting it up with Lucoa, when Shota said he didn't need her magic or boobs, it's like, OK, she's going to discover what she can offer another person emotionally, that's gonna be her story. But instead, all we get is boobs.

It is very out of place that all the other characters and relationships seem to mature or evolve over time, but this one it just exists for cheap fanservice and the same gag over and over. It feels almost like something from a different series.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cephas posted:

it's a shame because Shouta-kun's design is pretty adorable, and he would probably get along well with Kana and her giant-foreheaded friend, but he's stuck in giant Aztec titties hell.

Huh, I never realized how much I'd like to see Shota-kun interacting with the rest of the cast; it would also be a good way to grow their dynamic from where it is now. Shota being in exile from everyone else also is probably another reason I feel like his bits are from an alternate universe where the same comic got adapted, but in that world it went more toward the gag based ecchi comedy side than the endearing slice-of-dragon-life side of its parent property.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like, I dunno. Tohru's laser beams have basically always been framed as a source of comedy and never treated seriously, even when it blows apart the house everything is fixed in an instant. Even in that scene it sends Elma spiralling off into the night sky like a cartoon villain, rather than it being a lethal and dangerous weapon.

I don't think they portrayed Kobayashi as ever being in any danger, so it didn't really bother me that they brushed over it.

I think the laser beam maybe was meant to be another small detail to show how Kobayashi and Tohru have grown closer and more in sync, to the point where Kobayashi can sense the beam almost psychically, and Tohru knows she will so she just goes for it. I'm sure it was mostly just a way to make the shot more visually dynamic, and the laser has always been slapstick, but I can see how that kind of thing would bother people at the same time.

I really appreciated we got to see an anime couple get far elong enough in their relationship to have actual couple problems, and it warmed my heart to know even perfect dragon families have their arguments. If from now on Tohru starts talking to Kobayashi more directly, or Kobayashi is more actively affectionate, I'll die of happiness.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Sandman posted:

So as far as reading too much into things goes, wasn't the shot of Kobayashi and Tohru's legs near the end framed like they were kissing off-screen, complete with Kobayashi on her tip-toes to reach?

Yeah. It's funny how this show can be at once very chaste like that, but also had E. Honda titty slaps just moments before.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

PSG is the perfect example of a great dub that takes a lot of liberties in localization while keeping the core of the characters the same. This is not that. I think the voices are more-or-less good and no one sounds stilted in these clips, but the re-writing doesn't show any concern for keeping the characters intact. Good dubs are very hard and I don't think rushing them out the door will ever be worthwhile.

Kanna did indeed accuse Kobayashi of NTR'ing Tohru away, but isn't a cuckold the cuck-ee rather than the cuck-er?

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 4, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I really like that the Lucoa gags are getting varied; even if they all boil down to her having big boobs, it's refreshing to see stuff that isn't Shota being scared of her. I hope the two of them can get along and have a big sister-little brother dynamic, that'd be cute.

World class was legit funny.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 9, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

serefin99 posted:

Am I the only one who kinda wishes Kobayashi hadn't told Kanna she'd be coming? I don't know, I just think the reaction she'd have when she saw her mom in the stands would be adorable. But then again, when is Kanna not adorable?

Nah, you want your precious child to start the day in good spirits.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hypha posted:

Why is this a thing?

I know nothing.

IIRC, I think the director of this series said she feels like implying kissing but not showing it is her giving the characters privacy. Show is very pure for as many bouncing tity jokes as it has.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Negrostrike posted:

Holy poo poo even the grandmas want some Lucoa

Young or old, man or woman, gay or straight, everyone loves a good pair of honkers.

jellycat posted:

She even gave Tohru lots of headpats :3:

I noticed that! I think my favorite part of this series is how characters grow together without having too many big moments where they declare how they feel, it's mostly a natural thing we see subtly over time. So we don't get told they're in love, we feel it.

I kinda hope Kanna/Saikawa gets a little development soon, her infatuation gags are getting a bit stale I feel.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I agree Elma was underused; her and Shota/Lucoa becoming more sibling-like is something I wish we got more of too. I would like a second season down the line to get some more of that, but it's also fine the way it is. Good show, good dragons.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Good Listener posted:

Obviously Kobayashi taking them to her parents at the end is the set up for the OVA guys~ Aaa yea good show. It went from ep 1 being kinda like "Ehhhhh.." to being one of my faves this season, if not fave. I think also after the initial stuff with Shouta and Lucoa it got a lot less gross feeling but maybe because it was in little one off gags as opposed to half an episode about it. I dunno. All I know is yay choragons.

I also think they got better at the Lucoa and Shota gags, and made them less one-note as the series went on. I was oddly happy for her when Lucoa realized she should stop dressing like a street walker.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Command Ant posted:

They're going to have to go through the events of the last episode all over again, only this time with Kobayashi's retiree father instead.

The twist is Kobayashi's parents are super supportive of them and thrilled to be grandparents.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nuebot posted:

Haha wow. It's literally "Stop liking things I don't like!" and she drags her room mate off to try and berate him into not liking the show. Then at the end casually tosses out that she loves Kill La Kill and it's okay to ignore the fan service in that, but not this.

I had the same thoughts. The article feels artificial and insincere, but that's cheap Kotaku clickbait for you.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

She must have the same brain problem I have of latching onto the body positivity theme and not really considering that it wasn't so obvious to most people

I think KLK was trying to have its cake and eat it too in that regard. It definitely wants to say something about being yourself and not caring how other people judge you, plus Imaishi has used nudity as a metaphor for positive traits like conviction in his works before. But those themes and metaphors also conveniently means we get to have tons of anime titties on screen.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah it's really male gaze. That being where the money is probably factored into that as much as anything else. Not to make excuses

I guess at least they tried to do something interesting thematically with it, even if it ended up half-assed. KLK had a rocky production IIRC, so it could be there were plans to do more with it down the road and they got lost or cut in re-writes. I doubt it was purely for money though.

I do like KLK at the end of the day, but the idea that someone can look past its worst moments but not Dragon Maid's is bonkers.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Well to be fair the amount of work she does for free is astounding. Only asking to be sheltered and fed.

... I guess Kobayashi rakes it in hand over fist to be feeding 3 mouths, 2 of which are dragons.

She's a programmer that routinely does massive overtime, plus Tokyo is relatively affordable for a major city. Her living situation's pretty reasonable.

edit: I just realized, we live in times where "raking it in" means "modestly supporting a family of 3". That's dire.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 26, 2017

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

To be fair, software development pays relatively well. The second part yeah no times are pretty bad :smith:

That was my point, her living situation is pretty realistic because she has a career in software, works her butt off like a proper salaryman, and lives in a (relatively) affordable city. Dragon Maid is often pretty escapist or idealized, but the Kobayashi's financials are very grounded.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

edit: accidental double post

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Personally I never really had a problem with that line myself because even in the subbed version I felt part of Kobayashi's arc was pretty much that of a repressed lesbian becoming open to being in a gay relationship. Her whole speech in episode 2 about humans rejecting things that aren't normal just screamed that at me.

A big part of her character is that she doesn't really know what she wants because shes so emotionally repressed. Saying she's not gay (at that point) doesn't actually mean anything imo.

I can see why it'd piss people off though and it wasn't the smartest translation.

Agreed; it's a dumb change that doesn't do anything good, but it doesn't change her fundamental character arc.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the character works way better in moments like that and him just grimly accepting she'd work for "World Class" and all. Like, make her the kinda ditzy older sister type to him, that's way more fun than 'this dragon keeps trying to molest a child'.

Pushing the Lucoa/Shota as big sister/little brother dynamic was the best new direction the anime took, it gave the relationship a lot of new depth and humor.

Pollyanna posted:

I appreciate these babies.

As do I, and I like them better as a Muppet Babies reimagining, rather than children of the real characters, so I'm glad that's what it seems to have turned into. I kinda hate the trope of cartoon parents having kids that are basically copies of the themselves rather than their own people.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

New special is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4XRLlENtg

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Doctor Isosceles posted:

Production values may be a little suspect in this new Kobayashi opening...

Toei's Dragon Maid, looking good.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I don't know if comparing your food to a mysterious, poisonous rear end-meat is exactly flattering. Accurate, in Arby's case, but not flattering.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

Fuckin poo poo I'm gonna have to lay down the queerbaiting card. Just let them loving kiss or interlock fingers or SOMETHING.

Kyo-Ani is too pure to allow that kind of lewdness in their shows. Tohru has openly said she's sexually attracted to Kobayashi, they sleep together, and have clearly kissed off-screen though, I don't think it's ambiguous what's going on.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd be curious to learn how much of the perviness was because the author genuinely wanted it and how much was because the author thought it was necessary to sell.

Dude's a pretty big pervert going by his doujin background, I'd assume it's like 90% him.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

GIVE *clap emoji* ELMA *clap emoji* A *clap emoji* GIRLFRIEND *clap emoji*

Or, hell, even a boyfriend

Just someone she can cuddle with that isn't just a very large croissant.

Elma is a strong, career-focused woman, she don't need no (wo)man. It'd be cute if she owned a cat though.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

some people are very short and have huge tits, irl, it isnt really any more oversexualized or impossible than like, any of the other dragon designs. hot take there.

Her physical appearance is coded as a child with huge tits, not as an adult woman who is short with huge tits. It's fine if you can look past that and enjoy her character/the comic, but you should acknowledge it is a step worse than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

the manga spends 90% of its lucoa horny energy on her basically molesting a six year old boy, and kanna's appearance is even more child-like than iruru's and the manga still revs up its fryers for her. at least iruru seems vaguely possible to read as an adult on some level and the manga gets horny for her without involving literal human children you can't even pull the 'actually she's 3000 years old' excuse on.

i dont even like the character or the manga btw im not stanning here. iruru is bad because kobayashi's dragon maid is problematique, she isn't some unique misstep.

You know what? That's fair.

• Locked thread