Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The most intimidating boss I've ever come up across in a game is Alma from Ninja Gaiden for the xbox. You're getting to the end of the first half of the game, feeling pretty good about your skills, then Alma pops up and tells you that you are bad at Ninja Gaiden and you need to be cleansed by fire in order to come forth a better ninja. None of the cheesy strategies you've used up to that point will work (well, except maybe one...). Beating her requires a different level of focus from the game up to that point, and the practice you get from beating her will set you up for the rest of the game.

Plus she just looks loving sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Like, all of the bosses in Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
The Devil from Dantes Inferno. That massive cock jiggling around while you kick the poo poo out of him was glorious.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

bear is driving! posted:

The Devil from Dantes Inferno. That massive cock jiggling around while you kick the poo poo out of him was glorious.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haha wow, how did that get past the censors?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls if only for how it's introduced.

"Oh hey little guy! Are you lost? You must be l-" :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DdscZRu9DM

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Metal Gear Solid 4

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

For me,I still remember fighting the Metal Gear Ray in the first level of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. I was all like "Wait,we're fighting an endgame-tier boss now?!" As the fight went on,and I was chopping bits off its armor, I kept expecting THAT moment. Anyone who's played one of these Japanese action games knows that there is almost always a boss fight you have to complete to advance the story, but when you deplete its health,the game goes "gently caress YOU PLAYER" and has you lose in a cutscene. First offender I can think of is Gundam Breaker 3. Then RULES OF NATURE happened,and I was basically :asoiaf: Then I got to fight it AGAIN barely a couple minutes minutes later and utterly destroy it,and I knew this wasn't your average Japanese character action game. This is a Platinum game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Solid boss references so far.

A recent one for me is the Elder Prince Whoever in Dark Souls 3. He teleports around, and while that is not an uncommon ability of bosses, this one is different. He teleports during attack animations and his teleport cooldown is extremely low. So he can like start to swing his sword from out of range and then half a second later be completing the swing right next to you from a different direction. I felt like the secret service dudes in the opening of X-Men 2 just getting clowned on by Nightcrawler.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
One that popped into my head was Asha from the game Iji, as seen in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxnHl7Q4Rw

I think it does a good job of implementing fast-paced "zwee" fighting. It's just got so much pizazz to it, both in the "smoke and mirrors" visual aspect (all the flashes and afterimages) and the boss design aspect (teleporting boss with a large amount of unique and flashy moves that increase in pace and intensity as the fight goes on). For a game that doesn't have any 'dodge' moves or any real acrobatic movement at all, the fight really pushes your slow character to the limits of efficient jumping and ducking for a visceral experience.

Another aspect I like about the boss fight (and, if I remember correctly, all the boss fights in Iji) is that it can be accomplished without getting hurt. I don't mean this to sound like it is easy, for it is not. But what I mean is that the boss doesn't 'cheat': he follows a certain logic that has a small amount of randomness for challenge. There are no sucker-punches and all moves can be dodged with a certain amount of skill.

I forget who said it, but there was a pretty old-school designer who said that all bosses, and in fact all games, should be able to be defeated without getting hurt, to a reasonable degree. To use arcade games as an example, it's the difference between the House of the Dead series and the Time Crisis series. Time Crisis allows the player some agency with the dodge-pedal: the player feels more in control of the hits he takes, which are usually within reactionable time, even on a first playthrough. House of the Dead is a quarter-sucker, filled with bosses that have unattainable demands for accuracy and dps, as well as hits where the only way to dodge would be to read the future.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Always liked the Bob Barbas fight from DmC. Trippy battle against Bill O'Reilly TV demon, a fun way to stimulate the senses. It even finds time mid-fight to move the plot forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJKSS5X1oHQ

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Almost every boss fights in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, but Monsoon's in particular

Another would be the four kings in Dark Souls. The arena is a pure void and it's difficult to perceive distance.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 19, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Almost every boss fights in Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, but Monsoon's in particular

Holey moley! At first I thought he was just getting cut up really easy by the player and then I realized he was actually separating and reforming himself as a method of dodging :captainpop:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

BobbyBaudoin posted:

That was a really fun fight and now I want to go reinstall this.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One of the boss that jumps out to me was Turel from Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

*spoilers ahead*

The boss himself is not that impressive, just the events surrounding him are. Turel was originally one of the five brothers that betrayed Raziel in the original Soul Reaver game and served as bosses throughout it. But due to time constraints the Turel boss fight had to be cut from the final game and just a more powerful regular enemy was used in his place. Raziel was able to get revenge and devour the souls of the other four brothers, but the fact that Turel escaped his vengeance cheapened the victory.

The developers of the series acknowledged this fact and sort of made up for it in the sequel, Soul Reaver 2, when Raziel travels back in time and kills his brothers and himself while they were still human. Raziel even points out that he got some closure in killing human Turel even though vampire Turel has eluded him before.

Normally this would be the end of the Turel story line, but cut to several years later when Defiance was released and half-way through the game while Raziel is fighting an evil cult, the cultists reveal their secret weapon in the form of a brainwashed giant bat-like monster who Raziel recognizes as his missing brother, Turel. The two finally have their final fight to the death and when Raziel devours his soul he gains an enhanced telekinetic blast ability, which was the same ability he should have got back in Soul Reaver.

Sure it was kind of a weak plot device to write Turel back into the storyline. But for someone who had played through Soul Reaver 1 & 2 many times before Defiance came out, it was a great surprise boss for long time fans of the series.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 19, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

VolticSurge posted:

RULES OF NATURE

First thing that came into my mind. Literally five minutes into the game, and you're fighting the penultimate boss of MGS2. And winning. And then you go back after getting a real feel for the game and you're not just beating it, you're humiliating it by carving off its tail and beating it flawlessly.

The soundtrack kicking into high gear once you get to a certain point in the battle is something I wish more games did. No matter how many tries it takes you, once you hear the lyrics kick in, you know you've got the boss on the ropes and you can't help but grin to yourself.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mordja posted:

This gets my vote, too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Jon Irenicus: the villain that is such a badass you have to kill him a second time... in Hell.

And as for making you go... wow! Well, copying your Slayer form and then summoning a cadre of games biggest baddest demons... I was wow'ed.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

What a thrill...

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Mordja posted:

Yeah, same

Also the final boss of Super Mario 3D World is like one of the best final bosses in all of video games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

You lose to a cutscene boss like 10 minutes later in MGR though

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The final boss/sequence of Kirby: Planet Robobot. I'd heard the end of that game ramps up in ways that you only ever see in Platinum games and it's absolutely true, god drat. And the secret final boss of the True Arena is an amazing callback and also about as dark as Kirby games get which is saying something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FutureCop posted:

One that popped into my head was Asha from the game Iji, as seen in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxnHl7Q4Rw

It should be emphasized that this is not this game's actual dialogue.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

el oso posted:

What a thrill...

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love the bayonetta 2 fight where you fight the masked sage and two bigass demons are fighting in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lxrw6VsCgw&t=301s

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The final boss of Darkest Dungeon. You want to do everything perfectly? You made sure everyone always lived and never scarified a single life?

gently caress you, that doesn't work here.

Its impossible to beat the boss without it killing two party members. Nothing you can do about it. To make things more cruel, you actually have to choose who gets killed too so their blood is on your hands. In terms of gameplay it doesn't matter much since its the last fight of the game, but thematically its perfect. There is no perfect little happy ending where you did everything right. No matter how hard you try, someone has to die. But really, if you made it that far, what did you expect?

Mordja posted:

Dante's Inferno is basically gore and tits the game. That's not even the worst of it.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

el oso posted:

What a thrill...

lol. I've never played mgs past the first one and I feel like I'm missing out

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Talking of platinum game, there's one game in particular I feel is often forgotten, but Vanquish has some incredible boss fights as well.

If I had to go ahead and pick something else (we could make an whole thread about Platinum games bosses) I'd also go with something more classic with Symphony of the Night, Beezlebub (putting it in spoiler since it has gore which you could consider :nws: )

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have to say, I think all of the bosses from Furi made me go wow. Especially The Burst.

The way the game works and the music really work together.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just got a PS4 recently and Bloodborne and I just had this feeling with a DLC boss, Maria, who stabs herself to gain range in her attacks by making blood fly everywhere and then gets a second upgrade where her blood EXPLODES.

It helps that due to how that boss fight music is laid out, there's a high chance of dying just as the choir kicks in while the words YOU DIED appear on top of the screen

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Evil Eagle posted:

You lose to a cutscene boss like 10 minutes later in MGR though

Yeah,but at least the game makes it clear it's unwinnable by not giving Sam a health bar. It doesn't make you beat him,then have you lose in a cutscene-you're outclassed from the get-go.

And then you get to fight him for real later on and it's one of the best fights in the game. Besides Armstrong.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
One of my favorite boss fights both visually and musically is the sand temple boss in Nier. It even has some pretty great funny moments all throughout it (the gag at the end of the fight is just so loving good) :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnmBjDMN4ZE

Another fantastic boss fight is Koloktos from Skyward Sword. The design, the sound effects, and that amazing theme when you first enter just make it so entertaining to fight. And then you get to that second stage and he jumps out with six scimitars and the theme speeds up :aaa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFgb3lF1SDI

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Desperate Character posted:

One of my favorite boss fights both visually and musically is the sand temple boss in Nier. It even has some pretty great funny moments all throughout it (the gag at the end of the fight is just so loving good) :allears:

Another fantastic boss fight is Koloktos from Skyward Sword. The design, the sound effects, and that amazing theme when you first enter just make it so entertaining to fight. And then you get to that second stage and he jumps out with six scimitars and the theme speeds up :aaa:

I'm not the biggest fan of Skyward Sword but that boss battle made the game worth playing, it's excellent.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordja posted:

Nobody ever played that far into Dante's Inferno.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

All of the bosses in Nier were great, unless you count the wall of text as one. The music, visuals, gameplay, all of it was a blast.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Internet Kraken posted:

The final boss of Darkest Dungeon. You want to do everything perfectly? You made sure everyone always lived and never scarified a single life?

Its impossible to beat the boss without it killing two party members. Nothing you can do about it. To make things more cruel, you actually have to choose who gets killed too so their blood is on your hands.

That's not quite true; you can kill it fast enough to prevent the death blow move - though you need a gimmick party to manage it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its impossible to beat the boss without it killing two party members. Nothing you can do about it. To make things more cruel, you actually have to choose who gets killed too so their blood is on your hands. In terms of gameplay it doesn't matter much since its the last fight of the game, but thematically its perfect. There is no perfect little happy ending where you did everything right. No matter how hard you try, someone has to die. But really, if you made it that far, what did you expect?

Dante's Inferno is basically gore and tits the game. That's not even the worst of it.

I wasn't a big fan of that, personally. I feel like Darkest Dungeon was at least in theory a game where if you were lucky and played your cards right you could walk away from things, and straight up killing dudes went against that. On the other hand Darkest Dungeon is also RNG: the game so maybe having a choice like that is fitting? :v:

I picked a Leper and Abomination (I cheated with a mod, i'm scum) since they both had death wishes anyways.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For its time, Painkiller had an awesome boss in the Necrogiant. Up until that point, the game had been a pretty straightforward shooter. Then you enter a giant graveyard, so large you can't even see the borders, and suddenly that thing starts to walk out of the mist towards you:

https://youtu.be/CKa-hrQ5TGI

It was just so drat huge, something that size was pretty much unprecedented at that time. The introduction is quite effective, too. They give you a few seconds alone in the arena, making it feel even larger and expansive than it already is, and then they have the giant come in and bridge all that space in just a few steps. It immediately makes you feel tiny and outmatched. And then you kill it by shooting it in the taint a lot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Perestroika posted:

For its time, Painkiller had an awesome boss in the Necrogiant. Up until that point, the game had been a pretty straightforward shooter. Then you enter a giant graveyard, so large you can't even see the borders, and suddenly that thing starts to walk out of the mist towards you:

That was the point I stopped playing, because it's just bullshit. Look at how many times the guy in the video has to shoot that thing. How is that supposed to be fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tiggum posted:

That was the point I stopped playing, because it's just bullshit. Look at how many times the guy in the video has to shoot that thing. How is that supposed to be fun?

What is fun is coming back to the boss later in the game when you have a bunch of Tarot card power-ups unlocked and completely annihilating it in less than a minute.

• Locked thread