Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just looked it up and theres no way to respec your skill points in the game, guess im sticking with swords for the hero lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

i just looked it up and theres no way to respec your skill points in the game, guess im sticking with swords for the hero lol

you get more than enough for 2 and a half categories. maybe you should do spears until you get the metal slime killing moves. and definetely do courage for omniheal

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I only played the original for a couple hours. Looking forward to this. I've always loved the silly rear end monsters in the dq games

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

discount cathouse posted:

you get more than enough for 2 and a half categories. maybe you should do spears until you get the metal slime killing moves. and definetely do courage for omniheal

thats good to hear, ty. yeah courage is a must, zoom is the first spell you get out of it and everything else is pretty drat good

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Amazon order got delayed to mid February so might just pick a copy of this up today... I'm itching to play it now

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

imps in the second dungeon casting endgame superspells and then falling over pathetically cause they dont have the MP for it, ftw

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

iirc you get 350ish total points thru the whole game which is plenty on each character, and by like level 40 which really requires no grinding unless you love killing metal slimes and metal babbles and king metal slimes and hell lets be honest who doesnt love killing those dudes

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember there being a fist fighting skill. Is that poo poo viable for the whole game or should I go with real weapons

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

noob question: when yangus says he sees a bunch of treasures around, what does that mean? like treasure chests for the entire zone youre in?

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

noob question: when yangus says he sees a bunch of treasures around, what does that mean? like treasure chests for the entire zone youre in?

i'm pretty sure its per section of the map. whatever you can see on the map. sometimes there will be walls and u have to go up/down a certain staircase, but he will smell the treasure thru the wall his nose is just that strong. also when u hunting mini medals in town u have to sniff outside and each building if you have true autism iirc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

i'm pretty sure its per section of the map. whatever you can see on the map. sometimes there will be walls and u have to go up/down a certain staircase, but he will smell the treasure thru the wall his nose is just that strong. also when u hunting mini medals in town u have to sniff outside and each building if you have true autism iirc.

lol tyvm

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played this game about 70% through and loved it, but burnt out on it. i wish this was on the PS4 somehow in addition to the DS.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if they put a PS2 rerelease up before DQXI comes out to hype people up for DQ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i remember on ps2 getting into the big fight with the game's main villain, like 50 hours in and i thought it was the final battle with the way it was built up, turns out i was just at the half-way point and there was an entire meaty postgame quest after the actual finale. and this version has even more postgame poo poo to do in it. this is a lot of game

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm enjoying this but I'm not getting that same adventure feels that I got with DQ7, where I couldn't wait to see where the game was gonna take me next. I don't think it helps that the game starts out with like, tragedy after tragedy lol.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

devtesla posted:

I'm enjoying this but I'm not getting that same adventure feels that I got with DQ7, where I couldn't wait to see where the game was gonna take me next. I don't think it helps that the game starts out with like, tragedy after tragedy lol.

7 just has the best storytelling device

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

tfw when you oneshot a metal slime..

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

with the way the enemy encounters work it is stupid easy to farm metal slimes, this is kind of ridiculous tbh lol. im gonna stop out of guilt

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You only need to grind if you wanna do the post game really.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Bobnumerotres posted:

with the way the enemy encounters work it is stupid easy to farm metal slimes, this is kind of ridiculous tbh lol. im gonna stop out of guilt

it was like this in the 7 remake too and i grinded like 10 levels off of metal king slimes just for fun at the end of the game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

You only need to grind if you wanna do the post game really.

yeah but with random encounters, farming metal was a tradeoff since most encounters you got random crap so you end up wasting tons of time that you could be spending actually having fun lol. now you just pan the camera around until a metal slime pops up and boom free levelup

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In the original there was a metal slime cave with nothing but metal slimes, so I only ever did grinding there.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I like that having the enemies on field doesnt make the dungeons hell to navigate in this one.

The photo quests rule hard, especially the secret enemies that show up when you beat up 30 of a kind of enemy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I like that having the enemies on field doesnt make the dungeons hell to navigate in this one.

The photo quests rule hard, especially the secret enemies that show up when you beat up 30 of a kind of enemy.

whaaaaat?? i gotta try this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it was easy to farm mmetal slimes in the original as well you just stood there and picked whistle until you got one,

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bobnumerotres posted:

whaaaaat?? i gotta try this

The camera sidequests will point you in their direction. I think there's one per region.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

it was easy to farm mmetal slimes in the original as well you just stood there and picked whistle until you got one,

maybe i didnt do it a whole lot. but i played dq5 more recently and farming metal slimes there is really a loving pain, especially since your best hope of farming them was getting as many people with darts on your team as possible and they'd still just loving run away

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zaggitz posted:

The multicolored mummy cheesed me off. By the bridge my butt; that idiot was chilling by the woods a couple miles away. Still, when I found it, I was pretty happy with myself.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i started messing with the stamp quests today, it's fun and i cant believe ive been ignoring it. the dude also gives you good rewards for stamps like skill seeds :popeye:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

i started messing with the stamp quests today, it's fun and i cant believe ive been ignoring it. the dude also gives you good rewards for stamps like skill seeds :popeye:

The photo quests? They're fun as hell

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

maybe i didnt do it a whole lot. but i played dq5 more recently and farming metal slimes there is really a loving pain, especially since your best hope of farming them was getting as many people with darts on your team as possible and they'd still just loving run away

there's a couple spots in dq8 where slimes, babbles, kINgz, were pretty common encouners idk :shrug: and theres a whole island at the end thats all metal slimes. also if you really wanted to power game there was the cave where there's an enemy that can resurrect other baddies appears with king metal slims so u could kill the same kms over and over until the other guy ran out of mp and get 100k exp in like 20 seconds

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hosed up and gave tge first two levels of axes to yangus befoee noticing he was wielding a club and i cant buy axes anywhere for a while

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haha i didn't knew about roaming super monsters and got my rear end kicked by one

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just fought that chest boss for the big gem, did i miss something? that was super easy lol all it did was use a weak attack and try to snooze everyone, i had more trouble with some of the normal encounters.

also maybe ive been getting lucky but did canniboxes get neutered in dq8 or is that only in the early game? cause mimics in dq5 would loving own you

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Plutonis posted:

Haha i didn't knew about roaming super monsters and got my rear end kicked by one

If you're talking about the guys with the crossed swords over their heads, then later you can recruit them to join your monster rear end kicking team and use them to battle other monsters for you.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
dqviii with restored sexy costumes and orchestral music -- homebrew 3ds ftw! the commute just got epic :cheers:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got to trodain castle and this game just took the gloves off

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ran into pallette swapped dancing devils that all used death dance and wiped my party. cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

normal encounters are becoming exponentially more dangerous but they still pretty much give the same experience points lol im finding myself just avoiding fights unless it's a picto quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bobnumerotres posted:

normal encounters are becoming exponentially more dangerous but they still pretty much give the same experience points lol im finding myself just avoiding fights unless it's a picto quest

Just farm a few metal slime fights in trodain castle and then avoid everything you haven't encountered imo. Repeat when you reach Liquid Metal Slimes/King Metals.

• Locked thread