Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Films is a UK-based distributor of classic, horror and cult films on Blu-ray and DVD. What makes them special - and why I feel they deserve their own thread - is their Criterion-esque approach to high quality, supplement-rich releases. They invest loads of time and money into the restoration and presentation of their films, and with few exceptions you can be sure their release of a movie is the definitive one. Their focus on horror and lesser known cult titles really makes them stand out.

Arrow Video
This is Arrow's horror- and cult-focused label. They often create original retro style artwork for these releases, and their versions are always uncut. If there are alternate versions of a film (directors cuts, alternate language, etc.), they tend to throw those in too.

Arrow Academy
Arrow Academy "brings cinephiles prestige editions of new and classic films from the greatest filmmakers across the globe." This is where you may see some overlap with Criterion, but Arrow does a great job of including unique supplements.

The Region B dilemma
Arrow is a UK company, which means most of their releases are Region B locked and will not play in most North American Blu-ray players. A few years back they created their Arrow Video USA sub-label and began releasing many of their films in North America. However, not every release gets a North American version. If this affects you, you really owe it to yourself to get a region-free player. This applies not just for Arrow but for Blu-ray collecting in general. They can be had for pretty cheap these days. Check out Amazon, and be sure to consider refurbished options.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Recently announced April releases:

Caltiki the Immortal Monster

The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave

The Red Queen Kills Seven Times

Donnie Darko

Wolf Guy

Catfight

Django, Prepare a Coffin

City of the Dead

Phantasm 1-5: Limited Edition

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've wanted to check out Arrow Films releases for a while. Now that they're releasing stuff in the US, I'm curious to see if they'll handle something or it'll come from Criterion or Shout! Factory.

The Long Good Friday, The 'burbs, and City of the Dead are high on my want list, though.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I've wanted to check out Arrow Films releases for a while. Now that they're releasing stuff in the US, I'm curious to see if they'll handle something or it'll come from Criterion or Shout! Factory.

The Long Good Friday, The 'burbs, and City of the Dead are high on my want list, though.

It's a really great time to be a collector of physical media. Blu-rays seem to be becoming more of a collector's niche. Now that distributors have to compete with the streaming services they realize they have to go the extra mile. More attention to quality transfers and features is being paid. And each label understands that they need to outdo the other ones to stay ahead.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

Their edition of The 'burbs is pretty great and well worth seeking out. I wish it had a Dante commentary, but it's really a minor complaint about a fantastic release.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
This seems like the thread to ask about it in.

I'm interested in Arrow's release of Terror at the Opera/Opera because it includes the Italian audio track. On their site, it says the DVD is region 0, but when I find it for sale on other sites (it's not in Arrow's online store), it's listed as region 2.

Which is it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SilentChaz posted:

This seems like the thread to ask about it in.

I'm interested in Arrow's release of Terror at the Opera/Opera because it includes the Italian audio track. On their site, it says the DVD is region 0, but when I find it for sale on other sites (it's not in Arrow's online store), it's listed as region 2.

Which is it?

DVD Beaver lists it as region 0 PAL.

My best guess for why retailers list it as R2 is for simplicity. With it being PAL you'll need a special player regardless.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Sam Peckinpah's Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia Limited Edition Blu-ray came out today. I'v never seen the film but by all accounts it's great. I might consider a blind buy. Love the art.

LIMITED TWO-DISC EDITION CONTENTS:
Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
Original 1.0 mono audio
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Brand new audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies, recorded exclusively for this release
Audio commentary by Sam Peckinpah scholars Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons and David Weddle, moderated by Nick Redman
Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron, Paul Joyce’s feature-length 1993 documentary featuring interviews with James Coburn, Kris Kristofferson, Monte Hellman, Ali MacGraw, James Robards and others, available on home video in the UK for the first time ever
The John Player Lecture: Sam Peckinpah, audio recording of the director’s on-stage appearance at the National Film Theatre
Theatrical trailer
Bonus Blu-ray: Featuring never-before-seen interviews with Peckinpah colleagues and contemporaries including Kris Kristofferson, Monte Hellman, L.Q. Jones, Alan Sharp and more (TBC) [Limited Edition exclusive]
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
Extensive collector’s booklet containing new writing by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and numerous reprints including interviews and more [Limited Edition exclusive]

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Surprise announcement:

Arrow posted:

The Thing is coming to Arrow Video!
That's right folks, John Carpenter's 80's classic will be joining the Arrow Video line later this year! We are still in the early stages of this release so can't share any specific info in relation to extras just yet but do make sure to tuned as we have some exciting things planned!
We also want to take this opportunity to say a HUGE thanks to every single one of you for supporting Arrow Video and helping us reach 50k likes today - we really couldn't have done it without all of you.
Thanks for being awesome!
Team Arrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seems a little redundant to put that out so soon after the Shout Factory release, I can't imagine it'll have any interesting extras that the Shout Factory one doesn't.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It may be redundant, but Shout! only has North American rights. Arrow is expanding a bit to the US, but so far they've only been able to license minor stuff other than a few titles from MGM.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a bit like how a few Eureka/Masters of Cinema releases are completely identical to ones from the Criterion Collection because they are working with the same material but one company only has rights to publish in Europe and the other only in America. The only one that springs to mind is Repo Man but I'm fairly certain there are a couple of other films released by both companies from the same remaster with the exact same extras.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Spatulater bro! posted:

DVD Beaver lists it as region 0 PAL.

My best guess for why retailers list it as R2 is for simplicity. With it being PAL you'll need a special player regardless.

Cool, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when I order a copy.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's a bit like how a few Eureka/Masters of Cinema releases are completely identical to ones from the Criterion Collection because they are working with the same material but one company only has rights to publish in Europe and the other only in America. The only one that springs to mind is Repo Man but I'm fairly certain there are a couple of other films released by both companies from the same remaster with the exact same extras.

Another one that springs to mind is Robert Altman's "3 Women", which is on Criterion in the US and Arrow in Europe. Criterion is pretty barebones with an old transfer, while the Arrow has a lot of special features along with a new 4K restoration by 20th Century Fox (it looks way better but people have complained about how it doesn't look how it did in theaters though that is completely debatable).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'v never seen the film but by all accounts it's great. I might consider a blind buy.

As a rule: if you're considering blind-buying a movie and note that it has Warren Oates in it, it's a safe blind-buy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

InfiniteZero posted:

As a rule: if you're considering blind-buying a movie and note that it has Warren Oates in it, it's a safe blind-buy.

Hell yeah. I remember when I first saw Two Lane Blacktop and as soon as Warren Oates showed up, I knew I was in for a good time.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow posted:

***HELLRAISER: THE SCARLET BOX US STOCK UPDATE***

Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box is now 70% sold out in the US and Amazon.com are now running low on their allocation. Once Amazon have sold out they won't be restocking this title again so if you are considering picking up a copy from them direct please act fast to avoid disappointment. The set is also still available with other retailers in the States.

They also posted this stock update a little while ago:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just watched my first Arrow blu ray, What Have You Done to Solange? Amazing transfer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Every Arrow Blu I've watched so far has been gorgeous.

I was really wary about getting back into the disc collecting game but Shout, Criterion, and Arrow have all eased my worries.

When Arrow runs out of stock do they order more or is everything a limited run? That Feast collection is speaking to me.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

I was really wary about getting back into the disc collecting game but Shout, Criterion, and Arrow have all eased my worries.

When Arrow runs out of stock do they order more or is everything a limited run? That Feast collection is speaking to me.

When they show these stock updates they're referring to the limited editions with finite stock. Most of their releases are not limited.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

When they show these stock updates they're referring to the limited editions with finite stock. Most of their releases are not limited.

Oh, okay that makes sense

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah, some of these smaller companies are doing some great hard to find gems, and it's pretty refreshing seeing Arrow and Severin films ending up for sale on sites like Amazon and DeepDiscount too.

Besides Arrow, what other sites are you guys checking? These are the ones I've been perusing.

Vinegar Syndrome - https://vinegarsyndrome.com/

Blue Underground - http://www.blue-underground.com/

Synapse - http://synapse-films.com/

Severin - https://severin-films.com

Twilight Time - http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/

Salvation Films - http://salvation-films.com

Raro Video - http://www.rarovideousa.com/

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

88 Films releases some really interesting stuff. https://88-films.myshopify.com/index.html

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Besides Arrow, what other sites are you guys checking? These are the ones I've been perusing.

I bought the Vinegar Syndrome release of The Undertaker and it was a really good transfer minus the 6 minutes of VHS only footage they had to use. The Maniac Cop blu from Synapse was really good too.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Indicator (Powerhouse Films) is a relatively new UK distributer (region free!) that seems to to be re-releasing OOP Twilight Time films with additional supplements.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, some of these smaller companies are doing some great hard to find gems, and it's pretty refreshing seeing Arrow and Severin films ending up for sale on sites like Amazon and DeepDiscount too.

Vinegar Syndrome - https://vinegarsyndrome.com/

Blue Underground - http://www.blue-underground.com/

Synapse - http://synapse-films.com/

Severin - https://severin-films.com

Twilight Time - http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/

Salvation Films - http://salvation-films.com

Raro Video - http://www.rarovideousa.com/

Masters of Cinema (UK) - https://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/moc

BFI (UK) - http://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray.html?format=4

Flicker Alley (US) - http://www.flickeralley.com

MoC is great because they'll ship international. Flicker Alley's releases are a little pricey, but they ship quickly and early if it's a pre-order.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

An Arrow employee mentioned on Facebook that they're currently "working on a new restoration of a popular Dario Argento film", but he couldn't divulge which one. Hmm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

An Arrow employee mentioned on Facebook that they're currently "working on a new restoration of a popular Dario Argento film", but he couldn't divulge which one. Hmm.

Oh poo poo, I wonder what that could be. Not sure what their definition of "popular" is, but to me that means either Suspiria(very unlikely because I thought another company was already doing that), Deep Red(unnecessary because the current transfer is fantastic), Inferno(also unnecessary for the same reason), Opera or Tenebre. Possibly The Bird With the Crystal Plumage?

I'm thinking Opera or Tenebre are the likeliest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo, I wonder what that could be. Not sure what their definition of "popular" is, but to me that means either Suspiria(very unlikely because I thought another company was already doing that), Deep Red(unnecessary because the current transfer is fantastic), Inferno(also unnecessary for the same reason), Opera or Tenebre. Possibly The Bird With the Crystal Plumage?

Arrow already has a Tenebrae release

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Then Opera is my final answer.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Then Opera is my final answer.

I'm leaning Bird, which bums me out because I bought a copy back in 2015.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Actually some people are speculating Inferno because the current transfer, apparently, has too much noise reduction. Sucks because I just bought it. I'm hoping Tenebre because I don't own it on any format yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Actually some people are speculating Inferno because the current transfer, apparently, has too much noise reduction. Sucks because I just bought it. I'm hoping Tenebre because I don't own it on any format yet.

Kinda lame because I find that transfer to be just fine and I don't think too much noise reduction is something I'd ever really notice.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm thinking Mother of Tears special edition that comes with a magical witch shirt replica.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

Kinda lame because I find that transfer to be just fine and I don't think too much noise reduction is something I'd ever really notice.

I only notice it when it's extreme and everyone looks like a wax figure, like The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Synapse is releasing a 4K restoration of Suspiria and says they're close to being finished. I still assume it will be delayed by years like every single Synapse release ever (but it will be worth it).

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

caligulamprey posted:

Synapse is releasing a 4K restoration of Suspiria and says they're close to being finished. I still assume it will be delayed by years like every single Synapse release ever (but it will be worth it).

I believe that the Suspiria remake is supposed to be released later this year so it would probably be helpful to release around then (I don't think it's getting a theatrical release in NA though, so maybe there won't be any hype for it and also maybe Don doesn't give a poo poo about the remake but still it couldn't hurt).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

(I don't think it's getting a theatrical release in NA though)

Wait, really? It has a pretty stacked cast to not get a theatrical release, and the last thing Amazon Studios did off the top of my head was Neon Demon, which I saw in a theater.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, really? It has a pretty stacked cast to not get a theatrical release, and the last thing Amazon Studios did off the top of my head was Neon Demon, which I saw in a theater.

Last I heard it only had European distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Synapse is also considering doing a UHD edition of Suspiria because of the amount of work put into the 4K restoration.

• Locked thread