Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime shipping.

Yeah same here, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah same here, haha.

I remember when ordering anything through the mail would be expected to have a 4-6 week delivery period. Now I'm angry if I ordered something on Tuesday and it's 3pm on Thursday and I don't have it yet.

Past that though, I'd love for Arrow to start a streaming service, especially if it included all of the fantastic extras they produce somehow. I'm probably hoping for too much, especially being in Canada.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I just bought Arrow Academy's The Beast from Amazon UK and it didn't have the booklet I normally see on the unboxing videos or as promised on the description on the back.

Anyone else with a similar copy can vouch for this?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow usually only includes booklets in the initial print of a title. First come first serve. But evidently they're not good at altering their cover text to reflect this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Video July announcements:

Stormy Monday

NEW UK/US TITLE: Stormy Monday (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

A romantic crime thriller with genuine heart, Stormy Monday features striking, rain-drenched cinematography by Roger Deakins (The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men)

Pre-order in the UK: http://bit.ly/2oRwEYm
Pre-order on Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/2oRjKK2
North American Pre-orders will be live soon!
Release Dates: 10/11 July

In 1988, Mike Figgis (Internal Affairs, Leaving Las Vegas) made his feature directorial debut with Stormy Monday, a taut, noir-influenced gangster movie that drew on his key formative influences, including his youth in the Newcastle of the late ’50s and early ’60s, and the city’s vibrant jazz scene.

Sean Bean (Ronin) plays Brendan, a young loafer taken under the wing of jazz club owner Finney (Sting, Quadrophenia), who’s under pressure from American mobster Cosmo (Tommy Lee Jones, The Fugitive) to sell up in exchange for a cut of a local land development deal. Brendan just wants to earn an honest crust, but his burgeoning relationship with Cosmo’s ex-lover Kate (Melanie Griffith, Body Double) threatens to drag him into the middle of the impending showdown…

A romantic crime thriller with genuine heart, Stormy Monday features striking, rain-drenched cinematography by Roger Deakins (The Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men) and a seductive jazz score provided by the director himself. Presented here for the first time in high definition in the UK, there has never been a better time to discover one of this iconic filmmaker’s most assured and uniquely haunting efforts.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original stereo audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary with Mike Figgis, moderated by critic Damon Wise
• New video appreciation by critic Neil Young, and a “then and now” tour of the film’s Newcastle locations
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacey

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing by critic Mark Cunliffe

Pulse (sort of a re-announcement since it got delayed)

NEW UK/US TITLE: Pulse (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)
One of the greatest and most terrifying achievements in modern Japanese horror, and a dark mirror for our contemporary digital world.

Re-Animator

US TITLE: Re-Animator (Blu-ray) Limited Edition
Stuart Gordon’s enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features!

Our North American Re-Animator pre-order links should be live soon!
Release Dates: 25 July

HERBERT WEST HAS A GOOD HEAD ON HIS SHOULDERS… AND ANOTHER ONE ON HIS DESK.

One of the most wildly popular horror movies of all-time, Stuart Gordon’s enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features!

When medical student Dean Cain advertises for a roommate, he soon finds one in the form of Dr. Herbert West. Initially a little eccentric, it some becomes clear that West entertains some seriously outlandish theories – specifically, the possibility of re-animating the dead. It’s not long before Dean finds himself under West’s influence, and embroiled in a serious of ghoulish experiments which threaten to go wildly out of control…

Based on H.P. Lovecraft’s classic terror tale ‘Herbert West – Reanimator’ and featuring a standout performance from Jeffrey Combs as the deliciously deranged West, Re-Animator remains the ground-zero of ’80s splatter mayhem and one of the genre’s finest hours.

2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• 2K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions of the film
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Audio
• Digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
• Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer Michael Gingold
• Re-Animator – the original 1991 comic book adaptation, reprinted in its entirety

DISC 1 – UNRATED VERSION
• Unrated version [86 mins]
• Audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
• Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Abbott, and Robert Sampson
• Re-Animator Resurrectus – documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cats and crew
• Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
• Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
• Interview with composer Richard Band
• Music Discussion with composer Richard Band
• Interview with former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone
• Barbara Crampton In Conversation –the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning discussion
• Deleted and Extended Scenes
• Trailer & TV Spots

DISC 2 – INTEGRAL VERSION – LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
• Integral version [105 mins]
• A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema – brand new featurette looking at the many various cinematic incarnations of writer H.P. Lovecraft’s work

PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

Psycho 2

NEW UK TITLE: Psycho 2 (Blu-ray)

Norman Bates returns in this expertly crafted sequel to Alfred Hitchcock’s acclaimed horror classic.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2oRA2m5
Pre-order on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2oRG99V
Release Dates: 31 July

IT’S 22 YEARS LATER, AND NORMAN BATES IS COMING HOME.

Just when you thought it was safe to step back in the shower, Norman Bates returns in this expertly crafted sequel to Alfred Hitchcock’s acclaimed horror classic.

Deemed fit to return to society more than two decades years after his original crimes, Norman Bates has returned to his family mansion and adjacent motel. Joined by an unlikely house guest in the form of young Mary (Meg Tilly), things seem to be looking up for Norman – until the grisly murders start up afresh. Has Norman really put his terrible past behind him, or is he losing his grip on sanity all over again?

Aided by a fiendishly clever script from Fright Night director Tom Holland, Psycho II is regarded by many as one of the most successful horror sequels of all time, with a plot that will keep you guessing until the very end…

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Digital Transfer from Original Film Elements
• Original Stereo Audio
• Audio commentary with writer Tom Holland
• Never-before-heard audio interview with director Richard Franklin
• Archive Interview with star Anthony Perkins
• Vintage EPK material featuring interviews with cast and crew
• Trailers & TV Spots
• Still Gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Adam Rabalais
• PLUS MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED!

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s Booklet with new writing on the film alongside a reprint of the Psycho II chapter from Richard Franklin’s unpublished autobiography

Future Shock: The Story Of 2000AD

NEW UK TITLE: Future Shock: The Story Of 2000AD (Blu-ray)

The definitive story of the most successful comic in the galaxy - now loaded with over six hours of previously unseen extras.

Pre-order from Arrow: http://bit.ly/2oRluTg
Release Dates: 31 July 2017

First published in 1977 at the height of the punk era, UK Sci-Fi comic 2000AD was violent, anti-authoritarian, darkly funny and distinctly British. With such iconic characters as Strontium Dog, Nemesis and Judge Dredd, it became the anarchic underdog that forever changed the face of the international comics industry.

Offering a comprehensive overview of the comic’s history, Future Shock! takes a funny, moving and passionate look at the various highs and lows of how a band of talented eccentrics came together to create a visionary and extraordinary publication that still remains a game-changer more than 40 years later.

Featuring interviews with the likes of Pat Mills (ABC Warriors, Slaine), Dave Gibbons (Watchmen), Neil Gaiman (The Sandman), Karl Urban (Dredd) and Alex Garland (Ex Machina), Future Shock! is the definitive story of the most successful comic in the galaxy - now loaded with over six hours of previously unseen extras.

Blu-ray SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Exclusive brand new interview with Steve MacManus (25 mins)
• Extended chapter featurette: Cheap Entertainment – The Appeal of comics (9 mins)
• Extended chapter featurette: Judge Dredd (13 mins)
• Extended chapter featurette: Dredd 2012 – True in Spirit (13 mins)
• Extended chapter featurette: 2000AD Vs the USA (15 mins)
• 2000AD Strip featurette: Bad Company / Peter Milligan (5 mins)
• 2000AD Strip featurette: Tharg’s Future Shocks / Various (8 mins)
• 2000AD Strip featurette: Rogue Trooper / Dave Gibbons & Cam Kennedy (7 mins)
• 2000AD Strip featurette: Slaine / Pat Mills (11 mins)
• 2000AD Strip featurette: Strontium Dog / Carlos Ezquerra (5 mins)
• Art Jam – How to draw Dredd & Nemesis by Jock & Henry Flint (4 mins)
• Pat Mills visits Kings Reach Rower (6 mins)
• In the Soundtrack Studio with Justin Greaves (4 mins)
• Extended interview with Pat Mills (84 mins)
• Extended interview with Grant Morrison (33 mins)
• Extended interview with Neil Gaiman (17 mins)
• Extended interview with Dave Gibbons (47 mins)
• Extended interview with Karen Berger (33 mins) • Blooper Reel (2 mins)
• Teaser Trailer
• UK Launch Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jock.

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet

Nekromantik 2 (non-limited edition)

NEW UK TITLE: Nekromantik 2 (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

Jörg Buttgereit’s follow-up to his ground-breaking Nekromantik is just as shocking as its reputation would suggest.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2oRzBYY
Pre-order on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2oRAO2s
Release Dates: 3 July 2017

THE RETURN OF THE LOVING DEAD Monika isn’t like other young women. She shares her small flat with Rob, a recently disinterred corpse which serves as the object of her affections. But then she meets good-natured Mark, and soon finds herself torn between the prospect of a ‘normal’ life with a living, breathing partner and her overwhelming desire for her rotting bed-fellow.

Once prosecuted in its native Germany for “glorifying violence”, Jörg Buttgereit’s follow-up to his ground-breaking Nekromantik is just as shocking as its reputation would suggest. But it’s also a profoundly moving (if decidedly twisted) love story, and a thought provoking meditation on the nature of life and death.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definition transfer approved by director Jörg Buttgereit
• Original Stereo 2.0 audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
• Optional English subtitles • Audio commentary with Buttgereit, co-writer Franz Rodenkirchen and actors Monika M. and Mark Reeder
• Introduction to the film with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and producer Manfred Jelinski
• Masters of Life and Death – a brand new documentary looking at the film’s production and release history, featuring interviews with Buttgereit, Reeder, Monika M. and Jelinski
• City of the Loving Dead – a walking tour of some of the original Berlin locations with Reeder and Jelinski • Necropolis: Jörg Buttgereit’s Berlin – film scholar Dr. Marcus Stiglegger on the significance of the German capital as the backdrop for Nekromantik 2
• The Making of Nekromantik 2 – vintage documentary viewable with two different audio tracks: an English track comprising audio interviews with Buttgereit, Rodenkirchen and Monika M., and a German track featuring radio interviews with Buttgereit and Rodenkirchen, with optional English subtitles
• Nekro Waltz: The Music of Nekromantik 2 – Reeder discusses his work on the film’s score
• Outtakes Reel
• Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert – footage from the 20th anniversary Nekromantik 2 concert, with Monika M. and friends performing the live score
• Nekromantik 2 Livekonzert – the complete 20-track audio recording of the concert [BD/DVD-ROM content]
• Two Buttgereit short films: Bloody Excess in the Leader’s Bunker (Blutige Exzesse im Führerbunker, 1982) and A Moment of Silence at the Grave of Ed Gein (2012)
• Two Buttgereit-directed music videos: ‘Rise Up’ by Die Krupps (1997), starring Monika M., and ‘Die Frau in der Musik’ by Stereo Total (2007) • Complete collection of Buttgereit feature film trailers
• Extensive image gallery

New Battles Without Honour & Humanity

NEW UK/US TITLE: New Battles Without Honour & Humanity (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD) Limited Edition

Making their English-language home video debut in this limited edition set, the New Battles Without Honour and Humanity films are important links between the first half of Fukasaku's career and his later exploration of other genres

Pre-order in the UK: http://bit.ly/2oRrueO
Pre-order via Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/2oRwboU
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2oREYr7
Release Dates: 17/18 July

New Battles Without Honor and Humanity
New Battles Without Honor and Humanity: The Boss's Head
New Battles Without Honor and Humanity: Last Days of the Boss

In the early 1970s, Kinji Fukasaku's five-film Battles Without Honour and Humanity series was a massive hit in Japan, and kicked off a boom in realistic, modern yakuza films based on true stories. Although Fukasaku had intended to end the series, Toei Studio convinced him to return to the director's chair for this unconnected, follow-up trilogy of films, each starring Battles leading man Bunta Sugawara and telling separate, but fictional stories about the yakuza in different locations in Japan.

In the first film, Bunta Sugawara is Miyoshi, a low-level assassin of the Yamamori gang who is sent to jail after a bungled hit. While in stir, family member Aoki (Lone Wolf and Cub's Tomisaburo Wakayama) attempts to seize power from the boss, and Miyoshi finds himself stuck between the two factions with no honourable way out. In the second entry, The Boss's Head, Sugawara is Kuroda, an itinerant gambler who steps in when a hit by drug-addicted assassin Kusunoki (Tampopo's Tsutomu Yamazaki) goes wrong, and takes the fall on behalf of the Owada family, but when the gang fails to make good on financial promises to him, Kuroda targets the family bosses with a ruthless vengeance. And in Last Days of the Boss, Sugawara plays Nozaki, a labourer who swears allegiance to a sympathetic crime boss, only to find himself elected his successor after the boss is murdered. Restrained by a gang alliance that forbids retributions against high-level members, Nozaki forms a plot to exact revenge on his rivals, but a suspicious relationship with his own sister (Chieko Matsubara from Outlaw: Gangster VIP) taints his relationship with his fellow gang members.

Making their English-language home video debut in this limited edition set, the New Battles Without Honour and Humanity films are important links between the first half of Fukasaku's career and his later exploration of other genres. Each one is also a top-notch crime action thriller: hard-boiled, entertaining, and distinguished by Fukasaku's directorial genius, funky musical scores by composer Toshiaki Tsushima, and the onscreen power of Toei's greatest yakuza movie stars.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:
• High Definition digital transfers of all three films
• Original uncompressed mono audio
• New optional English subtitle translation for all three films
• Beyond the Films: New Battles Without Honor and Humanity, a new video appreciation by Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
• New Stories, New Battles and Closing Stories, two new interviews with screenwriter Koji Takada, about his work on the second and third films in the trilogy
• Original theatrical trailers for all three films
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist
• Illustrated collector’s book featuring new writing on the films, the yakuza genre and Fukasaku's career, by Stephen Sarrazin, Tom Mes, Hayley Scanlon, Chris D. and Marc Walkow

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 21, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Going to pre-order ReAnimator so hard I might die then get reanimated.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm trying to save money and not buy blu rays for a while, but holy gently caress I'm totally going to get Reanimator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My Pieces Blu-ray arrived! Way bigger packaging then I expected, but pretty drat cool. The vinyl didn't show up with it so I'm hoping it was shipped separately in extra safe packaging haha.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Spatulater bro! posted:

Arrow usually only includes booklets in the initial print of a title. First come first serve. But evidently they're not good at altering their cover text to reflect this.

I contacted them despite the snippet on the FAQ saying they don't provide replacement booklets, and they were willing to hook me up (although they don't have any at the moment), which was cool. Maybe it's because I bought two copies and feel massively gypped by that blurb at the back.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think the Hellraiser Scarlet Box is my new favorite blu-ray:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Psycho 2 is a much better movie than you'd expect it to be. Kinda like 2010.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

yeah Psycho 2 is outstanding

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Brain Damage pics:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Man, Arrow really goes all out, they're even better than Shout Factory as far as packaging and little extras. Especially these recent releases, its basically like a Criterion level release for obscure cult horror movies. What a time to be alive.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, and it's loving killing my wallet.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got my Phantasm set a couple days ago. It's slick as hell. The top of the case fits comfortably as a base to the box allowing you to pose the ball with the prongs out. Have it sitting next to my Feast box and my Pieces box right now, god my wallet hates me.

e: the upside is the wife loves them and wants me to redo the living room (aka our movie room) and make it more of a movie room so I get to frame some posters in the next few weeks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

e: the upside is the wife loves them and wants me to redo the living room (aka our movie room) and make it more of a movie room so I get to frame some posters in the next few weeks!

That's awesome. I recently did the same thing. I highly recommend these poster frames: http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/ They mount flush with the wall and you just snap the posters into place. Makes it easy to swap them in and out.

Not sure if you saw my pictures:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

That's awesome. I recently did the same thing. I highly recommend these poster frames: http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/ They mount flush with the wall and you just snap the posters into place. Makes it easy to swap them in and out.

Not sure if you saw my pictures:

Sweet, I remember seeing the pics but I might have missed if you posted the link to the frames in that post. I'll check those frames out. My main issue is going to be remounting my tv (i mounted it about 5-6 inches too high and it bugs the crap out of me).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I would mount my TV except for the fact that you still have all the components to worry about. If all my equipment needs its own stand under the TV anyway, might as well just set the TV on it. Plus mounting makes cable management difficult. It just seems like a nightmare getting it all streamlined and uncluttered.

But yeah, setting the TV at eye level is vital.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I would mount my TV except for the fact that you still have all the components to worry about. If all my equipment needs its own stand under the TV anyway, might as well just set the TV on it. Plus mounting makes cable management difficult. It just seems like a nightmare getting it all streamlined and uncluttered.

I bought myself a massive tv and a wall mount is about the only way I can set it up without it looking a bit ridiculous (it still looks ridiculous tbh). Cable management was a breeze in my experience. I bought a pvc esque cable hider and my wife used touch up paint to make it match our wall color. The cables coming from my tv are probably my most uncluttered cables. It's everything hidden behind the entertainment stand under the tv that's a mess (a bunch of ethernets, coax, speaker cable, hdmi everywhere, power cords, etc.) haha.

Spatulater bro! posted:

But yeah, setting the TV at eye level is vital.

Learned the hard way :(. My thinking at the time was that a bit higher than normal would be better since it's in an open floor plan living room, making it easier to see over the kitchen's breakfast bar area. I was wrong. I'd be able to see it just find if it was lowered. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take 3 people to get the tv up and down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, and it's loving killing my wallet.

Shout Factory doing those limited edition posters and booklets is ruining me. I bought both the Red Dawn and the Streets of Fire pre-orders to get the posters, but skipped out on Tales From The Hood and now I'm regretting it because I love that movie. drat you Shout Facory!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Shout Factory doing those limited edition posters and booklets is ruining me. I bought both the Red Dawn and the Streets of Fire pre-orders to get the posters, but skipped out on Tales From The Hood and now I'm regretting it because I love that movie. drat you Shout Facory!

I've resisted buying anything from Shout Factory for over a year now, but its killing me. Took everything I had to resist buying their release of The Thing, and now they're doing limited edition steelbooks of The Fog and They Live in August. And yea I'd love to have Tales From the Hood, Slither, Child's Play, and Dog Soldiers. Just never ends.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Arrow already got me to double-dip on The Hills Have Eyes and now they're gonna get me to do it again for Re-Animator. That special edition just looks too good to pass up, especially with the integrated version of the film and the Lovecraft cinema documentary.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Video August releases:

NEW UK/US TITLE: Erik the Conqueror (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

Mario Bava’s swashbuckling epic of treachery, heroism and forbidden love!

Pre-order in the UK: http://bit.ly/2r9vqXn
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2r9AxqG
Release dates: 28/29 August

In 1961, director Mario Bava (Rabid Dogs, Kill Baby Kill) turned his hand to the historical adventure genre, capitalising on the recent success of 1958’s Kirk Douglas vehicle The Vikings. The result was a colourful, swashbuckling epic of treachery, heroism and forbidden love: Erik the Conqueror.

In 786 AD, the invading Viking forces are repelled from the shores of England, leaving behind a young boy – Erik, son of the slain Viking king. Years later, Erik (George Ardisson, Juliet of the Spirits), raised by the English queen as her own, becomes Duke of Helford, while across the sea, his brother Eron (Cameron Mitchell, Blood and Black Lace) assumes leadership of the Viking horde and sets his sights on conquering England once again, setting the two estranged brothers on a collision course that will determine the fates of their respective kingdoms…
Featuring a bombastic score by frequent collaborator Roberto Nicolosi (Black Sunday) and memorably co-starring the stunning Kessler twins (Sodom and Gomorrah), Erik the Conqueror showcases Bava’s immense talent for creating awe-inspiring spectacle with limited resources. Now restored in high definition for the first time, Arrow Video is proud to present this cult classic in all its original splendour.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
• Original Italian and English mono audio (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava – All the Colors of the Dark
• Gli imitatori, a comparison between Erik the Conqueror and its unacknowledged source, The Vikings • Original ending
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Kat Ellinger

NEW UK/US TITLE: The Slayer (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

The Slayer finally rises from the ashes of obscurity in a brand new 4K transfer courtesy of Arrow Video.

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9t2Ab
Pre-order in the UK via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r9sZnZ
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2r9yYsP
Release dates: 21/22 August

IS IT A NIGHTMARE? OR IS IT… THE SLAYER?

One of the most sought-after titles for slasher fans everywhere, The Slayer finally rises from the ashes of obscurity in a brand new 4K transfer courtesy of Arrow Video.
Two young couples set off to a secluded island for what promises to be a restful retreat. But the peace is short-lived: as a storm batters the island, troubled artist Kay begins to sense that a malevolent presence is here with them, stalking them at every turn. Is she losing her mind, or are her childhood nightmares of a demonic assailant coming to terrifying life?

Previously only available on home video in truncated or full screen versions, The Slayer – whose nightmares-seeping-into-reality theme predates a certain Wes Craven classic by several years – comes lovingly restored from the original negative in a stunning transfer that will be a revelation to fans both old and new.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative
• Original Uncompressed Mono Audio
• Brand new interviews with cast and crew
• Original Theatrical Trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Justin Osbourn

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet featuring new liner notes by writer Lee Gambin

NEW UK/US TITLE: Don’t Torture a Duckling (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

One of the most powerful and unsettling giallo thrillers ever produced

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9DXtx
Pre-order in the UK via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r9R12f
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2r9PpWe
Release dates: 14/15 August

From Lucio Fulci, the godfather of gore (The Psychic, The Beyond), comes one of the most powerful and unsettling giallo thrillers ever produced: his 1972 masterpiece Don’t Torture a Duckling.

When the sleepy rural village of Accendura is rocked by a series of murders of young boys, the superstitious locals are quick to apportion blame, with the suspects including the local “witch”, Maciara (Florinda Bolkan, A Lizard in a Woman’s Skin). With the bodies piling up and the community gripped by panic and a thirst for bloody vengeance, two outsiders – city journalist Andrea (Tomas Milian, The Four of the Apocalypse) and spoilt rich girl Patrizia (Barbara Bouchet, The Red Queen Kills Seven Times) – team up to crack the case. But before the mystery is solved, more blood will have been spilled, and not all of it belonging to innocents...

Deemed shocking at the time for its brutal violence, depiction of the Catholic Church and themes of child murder and paedophilia, Don’t Torture a Duckling is widely regarded today as Fulci's greatest film, rivalling the best of his close rival Dario Argento. Arrow Video is proud to present this uniquely chilling film in its North American high definition debut.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• The Blood of Innocents, a new video discussion with Mikel J. Koven, author of La Dolce Morte: Vernacular Cinema and the Italian Giallo Film
• Hell is Already in Us, a new video essay by critic Kat Ellinger
• Interviews with co-writer/director Lucio Fulci, actor Florinda Bolkan, cinematographer Sergio D’Offizi, assistant editor Bruno Micheli and assistant makeup artist Maurizio Trani
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Timothy Pittides

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet with new writing on the film by Barry Forshaw and Howard Hughes

NEW UK/US TITLE: Ronin (Blu-ray)

From director John Frankenheimer comes Ronin, a pulse-pounding, action-packed crime thriller featuring an all-star cast headlined by Robert De Niro and Jean Reno

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9yrat
Pre-order in the UK via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r9DJmb
Pre-order in the US: http://bit.ly/2r9qtOh
Release dates: 14/15 August

RONIN. Noun, historical. A samurai who no longer serves a daimyo, or feudal lord.

From director John Frankenheimer (Reindeer Games, The Manchurian Candidate) comes Ronin, a pulse-pounding, action-packed crime thriller featuring an all-star cast headlined by Robert De Niro (Taxi Driver, Heat) and Jean Reno (Léon: The Professional).
On a rain-swept night in Paris, an international crack team of professional thieves assembles, summoned by a shady crime syndicate fronted by the enigmatic Deirdre (Natascha McElhone, The Devil’s Own). Their mission: to steal a heavily guarded briefcase from armed mobsters, its contents undisclosed. But what begins as a routine heist soon spirals into chaos, with the group beset by a series of double-crosses and constantly shifting allegiances, and it falls to world-weary former CIA strategist Sam (De Niro) and laconic Frenchman Vincent (Reno) to hold the mission together.

A latter-day return to form for Frankenheimer, the film evokes the same gritty milieu as classic 70s crime fare like The French Connection, in addition to anticipating the early 21st century trend towards more grounded, realistic action movies, exemplified by the likes of the Bourne franchise. Arrow Video is proud to present Ronin in a brand new, cinematographer-approved 4K restoration, allowing this jewel in the crown of 90s thriller cinema to shine like never before.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director of photography Robert Fraisse
• Original English 5.1 audio (lossless)
• Audio commentary by director John Frankenheimer
• Brand new video interview with director of photography Robert Fraisse
• Paul Joyce documentary on Robert De Niro
• Ronin: Filming in the Fast Lane, an archival behind-the-scenes featurette
• Through the Lens, an archival interview with Robert Fraisse
• The Driving of Ronin, an archival featurette on the film’s legendary car stunts
• Natascha McElhone: An Actor’s Process, an archival interview with the actress
• Composing the Ronin Score, an archival interview with composer Elia Cmiral
• In the Ronin Cutting Room, an archival interview with editor Tony Gibbs
• Venice Film Festival interviews with Robert De Niro, Jean Reno and Natascha McElhone
• Alternate ending
• Theatrical trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Collector’s booklet illustrated by Chris Malbon, featuring new writing on the film by critic Travis Crawford

NEW UK TITLE: Shock Treatment “Cosmo” and “Nation” (Blu-ray) Limited Editions

Available on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world Arrow Video presents Shock Treatment – the criminally underrated sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Pre-order Shock Treatment “Cosmo” edition via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9rZjJ
Pre-order Shock Treatment “Cosmo” edition via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r9Dk39
Pre-order Shock Treatment “Nation” edition via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9yJ0H
Pre-order Shock Treatment “Nation” edition via Amazon: http://amzn.to/2r9yaUU
Release date: 7th August

FROM THE CREATORS OF “THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW”!

“It’s not a sequel… it’s not a prequel… it’s an equal!” Available on Blu-ray for the first time anywhere in the world, it is with absolute pleasure that Arrow Video presents Shock Treatment – the criminally underrated sequel to The Rocky Horror Picture Show!

Several years on from the events of the original Rocky, Brad and Janet Majors find their strained marriage put to the test on popular Denton TV show Marriage Maze. Poor Brad is heavily sedated and institutionalised, whilst Janet is given a radical makeover and primed for stardom. But what are the real motivations behind the kooky DTV crew and their enigmatic head-honcho, Farley Flavors?

Featuring a host of familiar Rocky faces including Richard O’Brien and Patricia Quinn, alongside the likes of Jessica Harper, Barry Humphries and Rik Mayall – not to mention a rocking, shocking score from Richard O’Brien and Richard Hartley – Shock Treatment is the follow-up that’s more than the equal of its predecessor.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Digital transfer from original film elements
• 5.1 and Mono audio options
• Isolated Music and Effects Track
• Audio commentary by Shock Treatment Fan Club presidents "Mad Man" Mike and Bill Brennan
• 35 Years of Shock Treatment – live panel filmed at British Film Insitute
• DTV Presents: A Shockumentary featurette
• Let's Rock 'n Roll: Shock Treatment's Super Score featurette
• Theatrical and International Trailers
• Exclusive Digipak Packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
• Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing on the film by festival programmer Michael Blyth
• Set of Exclusive Shock Treatment Mix ‘n’ Match Cards!
• Exclusive double-sided DENTON poster

CHOOSE BETWEEN TWO SHOCKING SLIPCASE DESIGNS – NATION MCKINLEY / BERT SCHNICK or COMSO MCKINLEY / JANET MAJORS!!!

NEW UK TITLE: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Blu-ray)

A cult classic in its own right, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 serves up a heady blend of gratuitous gore, socio-political critique and jet-black humour

Pre-order your copy via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2r9rPc7
Release date: 21st August

In 1974, Tobe Hooper quite literally changed the face of horror with his landmark film The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Although the hulking Leatherface and his trusty power tool left an indelible mark upon the cinematic landscape, it wouldn’t be until 1986 that the buzz came back... in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2!

Relocating the cannibalistic Sawyer clan to a cavernous, labyrinthian dwelling beneath an amusement park, Hooper’s deliciously demented sequel sees Leatherface and Co. continue their murderous exploits afresh. This time around, local DJ Stretch runs afoul of the Sawyers when she gets mixed up in the brutal slaying of two youngsters. Meanwhile, Lieutenant ‘Lefty’ Enright, is hell- bent on avenging the murder of his nephew Franklin, who perished in the original massacre.

A cult classic in its own right, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 serves up a heady blend of gratuitous gore, socio-political critique and jet-black humour – whilst Dennis Hopper’s unhinged turn as Lefty needs to be seen to be believed! Whichever way you skin it, Leatherface’s second cinematic outing is an uncompromisingly delirious vision from one of the masters of horror.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
• High Definiton Blu-ray (1080p) presentation from a digital transfer supervised by Director of Photography Richard Kooris
• Original uncompressed Stereo 2.0 audio
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary with director and co-writer Tobe Hooper, moderated by David Gregory
• Audio commentary with stars Bill Moseley, Caroline Williams and special-effects legend Tom Savini, moderated by Michael Felsher
• It Runs in the Family: a six-part documentary looking at the genesis, making-of and enduring appeal of Hooper’s lm, with interviews including star Bill Johnson, co-writer L.M. Kit Carson, Richard Kooris, Bill Moseley, Caroline Williams, Tom Savini, production designer Cary White and more!
• Alternate opening sequence with different musical score
• Deleted scenes • Still Feelin’ the Buzz: interview with horror expert Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA
• Cutting Moments with Bob Elmore: interview with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2’s stuntman
• Gallery featuring behind-the-scenes images
• Original trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson

Limited to 2,000 of each design

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Oh mah gaw, that Don't Torture a Duckling artwork is very good

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That Shock Treatment release is gonna make me find a multi region player at last. drat.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Maxwell Lord posted:

That Shock Treatment release is gonna make me find a multi region player at last. drat.

You won't regret it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow is releasing a 4K remastered edition of A Fish Called Wanda on Sept. 19 in both the UK and US.

• Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• Original English mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by writer and star John Cleese
• Brand-new appreciation by Vic Pratt of the BFI National Archive
• Brand-new interviews with composer John Du Prez, production designer Roger Murray-Leach, executive producer Steve Abbott and makeup supervisor Paul Engelen
• John Cleese’s Final Farewell Performance, a 1988 documentary on the making of A Fish Called Wanda featuring interviews with actors Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, Kevin Kline and director Charles Crichton
• Something Fishy, a 15th anniversary retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Cleese, Curtis, Kline and Palin, executive producer Steve Abbott and director of photography Alan Hume
• Fish You Were Here, a documentary on the film’s locations hosted by Robert Powell
• 24 deleted/alternative scenes with introductions by Cleese • A Message from John Cleese, a tongue-in-cheek introduction recorded for the film's original release
• Gallery
• Trivia track
• Theatrical trailer

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Sophie Monks Kaufman

They're also releasing Children of the Corn (US only), Day of the Jackal (UK only), Kill Baby Kill (UK only), and The Suspicious Death of a Minor.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 9, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here's the full set of September announcements:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently bought Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia from Arrow. It's a pretty rad release, I hadn't seen the film before so I don't know how it compares to previous releases but the sound and picture quality is just ace and it has a lot of neat extras like Man of Iron a documentary about Peckinpah.

Like I said I bought it blindly knowing only that it was a western so I was pretty surprised when, a few minutes into the film, the Mexicans all got into cars and airplanes when I had just assumed it was the year 1914 at very most. The modern setting didn't detract from the western feel and I just love how sleazy and sweaty the film is and how much of an rear end in a top hat the protagonist is. I think the twist that Alfredo died in an accident a week before the manhunt even began is really clever though I half expected that there'd be another one where it would be revealed that Alfredo isn't dead at all but lounging somewhere across the border completely unaware that anyone wants him dead. Mostly because we never really see his face clearly whether before or after he is decapitated which may have been done on purpose to make people doubt that it really was Alfredo. I was expecting Bennie to throw the head on the table only for the crime boss to say "That isn't Alfredo, it doesn't look anything like him". But that didn't pan out

As for Peckinpah westerns it doesn't quite reach the heights of The Wild Bunch but very few films do and it's still a great film in it's own right. I have no idea why this was ranked among the worst films of all time.

The title is really good, might be one of the best movie titles of all time.

Man I love Arrow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow is releasing a 4K remastered edition of A Fish Called Wanda on Sept. 19 in both the UK and US.

• Brand-new 4K restoration from the original negative, produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release
• Original English mono audio (uncompressed LPCM)
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Commentary by writer and star John Cleese
• Brand-new appreciation by Vic Pratt of the BFI National Archive
• Brand-new interviews with composer John Du Prez, production designer Roger Murray-Leach, executive producer Steve Abbott and makeup supervisor Paul Engelen
• John Cleese’s Final Farewell Performance, a 1988 documentary on the making of A Fish Called Wanda featuring interviews with actors Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin, Kevin Kline and director Charles Crichton
• Something Fishy, a 15th anniversary retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Cleese, Curtis, Kline and Palin, executive producer Steve Abbott and director of photography Alan Hume
• Fish You Were Here, a documentary on the film’s locations hosted by Robert Powell
• 24 deleted/alternative scenes with introductions by Cleese • A Message from John Cleese, a tongue-in-cheek introduction recorded for the film's original release
• Gallery
• Trivia track
• Theatrical trailer

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Sophie Monks Kaufman

They're also releasing Children of the Corn (US only), Day of the Jackal (UK only), Kill Baby Kill (UK only), and The Suspicious Death of a Minor.

That's pretty cool, comedies often feel like they aren't given this kind of treatment that's reserved for more "serious" films, but A Fish Called Wanda is a fantastically well made movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love Arrow, but I'm still waiting on my Pieces Vinyl.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Ronin is the must-buy for me.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Here's the full set of September announcements:

Seems to be missing one: Ermanno Olmi's The Legend of the Holy Drinker. Probably my favourite movie of all time. I've owned the VHS and the DVD, I've watched it countless times since getting it back in 1992... Arrow releasing it on BD is a dream come true.

It's also one of the most faithfull adaptations ever; helped by the fact that Joseph Roth's book is only about 100 pages. Olmi's use of flash-back is exemplary. If you've seen his I Fidanzati, you'll have some idea what you're in for. It won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, and it has one of Rutger Hauer's finest performances. I almost cried with joy when I saw it on Arrow's site.

It's very, very slow. This will give you some idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VS-8hnvbXw

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Summer sale is coming up.

Goodbye wallet, hello poverty. That being said I only bought like 5 films last sale.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 7, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Goodbye wallet, hello poverty. That being said I only bought like 5 films last sale.

Finally get to spend my bonus money. Hell's yeah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I thought this sale was starting today and was like "why is everything still so drat expensive?" Glad I didn't jump the gun.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Tarantino said it's better than the first. I kind of agree on that. I think that the first movie has been so overplayed and lampooned etc by now that watching it for the first time, even though this was years ago, I had the feeling that yeah all this is iconic and I understand its place in film history, but it's doing nothing for me. As a result, PSYCHO 2 just became the more interesting movie to me because I knew nothing about it.

Also, he's not adverse to doing them, but I wonder if Arrow reached out to David Mamet to do a commentary or interview for RONIN.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hell yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems like just collecting every available release of The Thing could be its own separate hobby now.

• Locked thread