Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For US people, Miracle Mile's US release by Kino is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo J.D's Revenge! The DVD is out of print and I've been looking to get that one for a while!

In related news, they're screening Cooley High at the New Beverly this month and the actor who played Cochise is supposed to be their for a q&a. Would be hella dope if they got Glynn Turman too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to snatch up JD's Revenge.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Believe it or not I haven't bought The Thing on Blu-ray yet (I owned it on HD-DVD and sold it years ago). So this is wonderful for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Believe it or not I haven't bought The Thing on Blu-ray yet (I owned it on HD-DVD and sold it years ago). So this is wonderful for me.

I admire your restraint. The Thing was probably one of the first few blu rays I ever bought, but to be fair as soon as I made the jump to blu ray I immediately stocked up on Carpenter stuff. He's my favorite director of all time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the Shout Factory release that came out fairly recently, do we know how the Arrow release is going to be different/better? Just trying to gauge what my level of buyer's remorse should be.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Here are the specs for The Thing:

NEW UK TITLE: The Thing Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

One of the most celebrated sci-fi horrors ever made, now newly restored by Arrow Video.

Limited to 4,000 units.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow here: http://bit.ly/2vkWa8S
Pre-order your copy via Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2uhnAzE
Release Date: 23rd October 2017

THE ULTIMATE IN ALIEN TERROR

Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) – but of all their collaborations, 1982’s horror/sci-fi amalgam The Thing surely tops the list.
A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antarctica find themselves besieged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point – any one of them could be… The Thing.

Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter’s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made – now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film
• Newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Here are the specs for The Thing:

NEW UK TITLE: The Thing Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

One of the most celebrated sci-fi horrors ever made, now newly restored by Arrow Video.

Limited to 4,000 units.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow here: http://bit.ly/2vkWa8S
Pre-order your copy via Amazon here: http://amzn.to/2uhnAzE
Release Date: 23rd October 2017

THE ULTIMATE IN ALIEN TERROR

Over the years, star Kurt Russell and master of horror John Carpenter have teamed up on a multitude of films (Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York to name a few) – but of all their collaborations, 1982’s horror/sci-fi amalgam The Thing surely tops the list.
A research team based out in the snowy wilds of Antarctica find themselves besieged by a terrifying, shape-shifting creature which has found its way into their base. When it becomes clear that the creature can take the form of any organism it so chooses, the tension within the team reaches breaking point – any one of them could be… The Thing.

Critically panned at the time of its release, John Carpenter’s The Thing has rightly gone on to become one of the most celebrated sci-fi horror efforts ever made – now newly restored by Arrow Video in a stunning 4K transfer supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
• Brand new restoration from a 4K scan of the original negative, supervised and approved by director John Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original Mono and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by John Carpenter and actor Kurt Russell
• Who Goes There? In Search of The Thing – an all-new feature length documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures exploring the history of The Thing, from the original novella to John Carpenter's terrifying science fiction classic. Featuring new interviews with the cast and crew, as well as authors, historians, and critics
• 1982: One Amazing Summer – an all-new retrospective documentary produced by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures about the unforgettable films released in the summer of 1982
• John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – archive documentary on the background and production of the film
• Vintage Featurettes
• Outtakes
• Behind-the-Scenes
• Trailers, Teasers, TV and Radio Spots
• Still Galleries
• Poster
• Lobby Cards
• Book containing new writing on the film
• Newly commissioned artwork by Gary Pullin

Hmm interesting. The Shout release notes that it's a 2k scan whereas this is 4k.

Seems Shout has 2 additional audio commentaries and a bunch of new interviews. Though it makes me wonder if they've Arrow has just taken all those interviews and used them for this 'all new' documentary .Sadly though there's no deleted scenes. Extra footage has been long rumoured (And stills are out there) but to date nothing has been released.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I dunno if it's related to THE THING but the Arrow site has been down and taking a beating. The Amazon and Zavvi steelbooks were out of stock when I checked and I happened to check the Arrow site about 20 minutes ago to find it up. Ordered the steelbook, notice that their Twitter page announced the site is back up and then almost immediately the site went back down.

As an aside, are the 'Limited Edition' and Steelbook the same? The amazon/Zavvi links aren't clear.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arrow is the only company that puts out decent Kung fu and yakuza films. I just picked up Doberman op also so I'm stoked

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Arrow sale is live y'all.

Unfortunately it doesn't include the pre-sale for the Romero box set. :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Arrow sale is live y'all.

Oh man. Not even sure what to get right now. probably going to get another big stack from this sale.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my eyes on Woody Allen: 1971-1978, Forbidden Zone, and Zardoz. I'll be able to sell my Twilight Time of Love and Death and I didn't pay much for the MGM edition of Annie Hall.

On the fence for Zardoz and Cinema Paradiso.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that hell raiser boxset the good one or is it some crappy release?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Is that hell raiser boxset the good one or is it some crappy release?
I bought it from a local Fry's Electronics a couple weeks ago, and while I haven't sat down to watch any of it yet, it sure looks loving outstanding just in terms of the packaging, the included inserts and stuff, and the list of features. The blu-ray.com review is very positive, as are the Amazon reviews.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well. I'm glad I didn't get it just now since it's region locked.

Cool. I guess.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo the Dekalog set is £40. Five days until I get paid ffffffff-

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Well. I'm glad I didn't get it just now since it's region locked.

Cool. I guess.

For some reason I always thought you lived in the USA, my bad!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do, but isn't Region B not the US? That's what the Blu Ray set on the site is locked at.

I guess that Scarlett box was the only way to get it.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 20, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That is correct, Region B is Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I do, but isn't Region B not the US? That's what the Blu Ray set on the site is locked at.

I guess that Scarlett box was the only way to get it.

I'm confused, I bought the box set and I live in the USA. Amazon carries it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Blu-Ray Regions:

As a British company most Arrow titles are in Region B.

You can of course buy films from other regions no matter where in the world you are but region free players are pretty rare, at least over here. Though I've heard of people getting them specifically to play Criterion films.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 21, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Region B is the most confusing region in terms of borders. Is that like a colonialism/commonwealth legacy thing, like the UK and Spain have economic ties with former colonies?

Or is it about piracy from Asian countries?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It doesn't show on that map, but Hong Kong is also in Region A. Being in the USA it's really convenient having Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong in the same region.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

FancyMike posted:

It doesn't show on that map, but Hong Kong is also in Region A. Being in the USA it's really convenient having Japan, Korea, and Hong Kong in the same region.

Japan, not so much, given their poo poo is crazy expensive.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I'm confused, I bought the box set and I live in the USA. Amazon carries it.

The one on sale isn't made for the US. It's all about that sale.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The one on sale isn't made for the US. It's all about that sale.

Ohhhhh, I get it now, my bad. I thought you were asking about the set in general.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up ordering Forbidden Zone, Zardoz, Woody Allen: Six Films 1971-1978, Cinema Paradiso, and an Arrow Video t-shirt.

Almost got Phantom of the Paradise, but the Shout! Factory release seems to have better extras.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Picked up:
Night of the Comet
Microwave Massacre
Motel Hell
Satan's Blade
The Zero Boys
The Burning
The Bloodstained Butterfly
The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
The Mutilator
The Happiness of the Katakuris
Theatre of Blood

All blind

e: I also saved like 30 bucks thanks to reward points on top of the sale prices. Good stuff.
e2: Went back and scooped up the Between Night and Dawn Romero Set. Someone please save me from myself.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 21, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my Re-Animator today. Crazy nice set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my order (Forbidden Zone, Cinema Paradiso, Woody Allen '71-78, Zardoz) on Friday.

Forbidden Zone was a blast. I'll probably be re-watching with the color version soon. Great transfer, too. Just from skimming, Zardoz looks impressive considering it's a very grainy and filtered film. No wonder the DVD looked like mush.

The Allen set is going to be a lot of fun since I haven't seen Interiors yet and it's been a while since I've watched the rest.

Also, the t-shirt is awesome.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

November releases. The Incredible Shrinking Man is a definite buy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arrow's release of 'Ronin' came out today, I just got done watching it. It had probably been more than a decade since I'd last seen it.

Something I sort of picked up on as I watched it was that the movie sort of felt somehow "older" than it actually was. The camera movements, the sound effects, the editing, the soundtrack, even things like the blood squibs from gunshot wounds and the font used in the end credits, it all felt like it was put together with the sensibilities of a movie made in the 1970s rather than one from the late 90s. It's just something that stuck out to me on this viewing and I have to wonder if it was deliberate.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I completely agree. Even the opening crawl looks like it was handmade in a low budget titling shop somewhere in Hong Kong.

The movie is awesome, though. Is there any information about why it kind of seems a bit "lost"? I.e. why is a company like Arrow releasing a well-budgeted action movie like this? They've done an excellent job of course, don't get me wrong.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno but Arrow releases own. If you guys haven't yet pick up Doberman Cop and Requiescent

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Arrow's release of 'Ronin' came out today, I just got done watching it. It had probably been more than a decade since I'd last seen it.

Something I sort of picked up on as I watched it was that the movie sort of felt somehow "older" than it actually was. The camera movements, the sound effects, the editing, the soundtrack, even things like the blood squibs from gunshot wounds and the font used in the end credits, it all felt like it was put together with the sensibilities of a movie made in the 1970s rather than one from the late 90s. It's just something that stuck out to me on this viewing and I have to wonder if it was deliberate.

I felt the same way about it when it came out. I think it's a very deliberate homage to 70s thrillers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

November releases. The Incredible Shrinking Man is a definite buy.

drat, Animal Factory's one of my favorites, especially since it's adapted from an Edward Bunker novel. Here's hoping they have some cool Bunker-related bonus material.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sagacity posted:

I completely agree. Even the opening crawl looks like it was handmade in a low budget titling shop somewhere in Hong Kong.

The movie is awesome, though. Is there any information about why it kind of seems a bit "lost"? I.e. why is a company like Arrow releasing a well-budgeted action movie like this? They've done an excellent job of course, don't get me wrong.

Arrow probably got a package of films from MGM that they could have US and UK rights to. I'd fully expect them to get the US rights to the more prestigious titles that lapse with Twilight Time like Alfredo Garcia unless Kino gets them first.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Arrow's having a clearance sale on a bunch of titles: https://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=89

Make sure you check the region before you buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just got Outlaw: Gangster VIP completely blind. It's a Nikkatsu gangster film so at the very wort it is only good.

• Locked thread