Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SilentChaz posted:

Arrow's having a clearance sale on a bunch of titles: https://www.arrowfilms.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=89

Make sure you check the region before you buy.

Forbidden Zone is region free; Woman on the Run and Too Late for Tears are Region A+B because they partnered with Flicker Alley. They'll appear to be Flicker Alley discs on a Region A player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Fine I'll cave, I bought Frankenhooker and Forbidden Zone. I would've bought like 5 others but I'm short on money at the moment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

...alright, so I ordered my movies Tuesday, it's been a few days and no indication that it's shipped. Is that common for people outside of the UK? I've never ordered from Arrow's shop directly before.

e: VV I'll just treat it like Aliexpress and get an X-Mas surprise of Frankenhooker next month

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 18, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Same here. It seems to be pretty common occurrence during sales. In my experience they'll probably ship them in the next few days.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

...alright, so I ordered my movies Tuesday, it's been a few days and no indication that it's shipped. Is that common for people outside of the UK? I've never ordered from Arrow's shop directly before.

I'm pretty sure that Arrow never sends you shipping notifications.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Arrow's new "Four Film Noirs" box set is fully region free. It includes Force of Evil, Secret Beyond the Door, The Big Combo, and The Dark Mirror. While all four have US releases through Olive Films, they're all bare-bones BD-25s while Arrow's are BD-50s with new supplements.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

King Vidiot posted:

e: VV I'll just treat it like Aliexpress and get an X-Mas surprise of Frankenhooker next month

I'm pretty sure Arrow have a strange habit of waiting for the sale to be over before they ship the items.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-hitcher--arrow-books-/AB005

:bahgawd: How dare they? I'm sure it's a fine book, but we need the movie and we need it now!

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Sale time again!

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/festive-sale/

I'm finally getting around to buying The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key. And Bound, Matinee, The Sorrow and the Pity, and Miracle Mile 'cause I really need to add to my pile of unwatched blu-rays.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is Female Prisoner Scorpion worth a watch?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is Female Prisoner Scorpion worth a watch?

YES

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
Absolutely, but avoid the Arrow release. I'm sure they did their best with the prints Toei provided them, but it's the worst the movies have ever looked. By a lot. It really hurts these movies in particular because they're so much about the visuals.

Also I'd recommend not watching Grudge Song back to back with the others. It was a studio-mandated sequel by a different director. Some people don't mind it but I'd just put some distance between Shunya Ito's trilogy and the fourth one.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Steen71 posted:

Sale time again!

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/festive-sale/

I'm finally getting around to buying The Blue Dahlia and The Glass Key. And Bound, Matinee, The Sorrow and the Pity, and Miracle Mile 'cause I really need to add to my pile of unwatched blu-rays.

Goddammit Arrow quit making me buy things I do not have :20bux: 's

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching Arrow’s release of The Apartment now

gently caress

gently caress it’s so gorgeous you guys

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress it’s so gorgeous

Me everytime I watch an Arrow release.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Can we talk about Severin Film here?
https://severin-films.com/

I got The Devil's Rain and Wild Beasts. Both had excellent transfers and extras....I recommend.
Devil's rain had an alright commentary by the director..

Wild Beasts had a cool interview with the director about elephants shutting down an airport and a tiger shutting down a subway..

(better poster than the bluray)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While I don't mind talking about severin and other exploitation niche labels here, The main bluray thread is a bit more active.

I need to check out my copy of Devils Rain. I've been working through my backlog of Blu-ray's. Watched Hobgoblins remastered by vinegar syndrome over the weekend. That movie is a hoot!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
If it's alright with yall I'll treat this as the horror cult blu ray thred bc i'm not reading 400 pages of another thread :)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So this is the new cover photo on the Arrow Video facebook page.

What's the one on the right?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whoa, they’re doing a cool release of Blair Witch Project? I was about to upgrade my DVD but now I’ll hold out for their version (and hope it sees a Region A release).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If it's alright with yall I'll treat this as the horror cult blu ray thred bc i'm not reading 400 pages of another thread :)

You should check out Ronin Flix as well. https://roninflix.com/

They're currently working on a remaster of The Church that I'm super stoked for.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Whoa, they’re doing a cool release of Blair Witch Project? I was about to upgrade my DVD but now I’ll hold out for their version (and hope it sees a Region A release).

It looks like they're doing a book on it. Maybe there's a blu-ray on the way though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s that pierce Bronson Susan Sarandon movie I think that’s what’s on the right

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

So this is the new cover photo on the Arrow Video facebook page.

What's the one on the right?

Zero Boys

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-zero-boys-vinyl-translucent-blue-/AR002

Also, it looks like the Blair Witch thing is going to be a book, maybe it's a novelization of the movie?

e: ah, it looks like the book is a retrospective on the film itself.

quote:

As the Millennium approached, horror was becoming an unusual commodity. Low budget horror films flooded the home video market while their big budget counterparts took hold at the box office. It seemed that a balance could not be found that would please everyone.

In the final months of 1999, horror was saved by a film that became a turning point in many aspects – including film production, film marketing and film distribution. One film was a revelation of cinema which shook the world at the time and created such panic and fear that the effects of the film can still be felt today.

Film-maker Russ Gomm takes a look at the phenomena of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT through the eyes of a fan who was captivated by the unusual promotional strategy that led up to the release. This book takes a trip back in time to the 1990s to uncover the history of the production of the film including a unique making of and its path to success.

Through conversations with fellow fans, filmmakers and other industry professionals, the book also examines the lasting effect that this seminal film had on not only the audiences, but the film industry itself and indeed the future of the horror genre.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 6, 2018

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
just watched Microwave Massacre and it was great

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Prepare your wallets, Arrow is having a flash sale until midday April 9th GMT:

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/april-flash-sale/?pi=1

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

SilentChaz posted:

Prepare your wallets, Arrow is having a flash sale until midday April 9th GMT:

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/april-flash-sale/?pi=1

Yep. Yesterday they had the PHANTASM boxset up, but I'm glad I resisted it. I want the first but wasn't so hot on the later ones. There's a couple of titles I wouldn't mind picking up though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone in here have interest in buying or trading for a Battles without Honor and Humanity box set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hector Beerlioz posted:

You have to read it all

• Locked thread