Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It's been a long time since I played. I think they had just added the first Raid when I quit? Anyway, I logged in and was a bit overwhelmed with how much poo poo has changed. Removing skill points is kinda cool, except the tooltip on your powers screen still tells you how to add points to the skills, so I had to double check I wasn't completely loving insane and missing something.

Couple questions:

Is there a reference for the revamped crafting? I had a tab absolutely full of crafting materials that's empty now. I assume they removed the tiers of mats and there's just one of each now, or something? Or maybe I cleared out my inventory last time I played, I don't know.

I didn't realize what the replacement for stats on the costumes were, and the game dumped a few on me when I logged in, so I sold them. I assume it's no big loss, but how do I get them again? Do I have to find the item, then add to it, or can the item just be crafted straight up?

Looks like you can buy Uru-forged stuff for a pittance of credits now. I have a tab full of Uru-forged items, any reason to keep them?

Any references for builds? My favorite characters were Captain Marvel and Moon Knight (champions of punching things). Captain Marvel's skills look pretty different now.

Difficulty slider thing: I saw something about the Cosmic Challenge in the terminal. I have to do that with each 60 it says, but does that unlock all the Cosmic stuff for them, or will I have to do it for Story/Midtown/X-Def/etc

I remember there being a spreadsheet that would tell you if you should buy a random hero or not, based on what heroes you had unlocked. Is that still maintained?

Anyway thanks for any help, I'm gonna go level up some of my heroes. Or Prestige Captain Marvel again, and try to get used to the new stuff....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks to both of you! I actually think I had a growth effect on Captain Marvel now that you mention it, shucks.

I have her original/first appearance costume slotted but I'll check out the modern one. I never bought her Captain Marvel outfit because the mask/hair looked weird to me.

Thought of another question, about Team Ups. I have Magik and Groot right now, Magik is max level and Groot is around 30. Are there any stand outs or are they all the same pretty much? I have like 600 eternity shards so I was thinking of getting the Ms. Marvel team up.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Squirrel Girl has quickly become one of my favorite heroes. I've been playing her melee with just her signature and Squirrelpocalypse as ranged/summon but I also played as pure summon and that was a lot of fun too.

Now not to sound too positive but after not playing for like 2.5 years and coming back I'm loving all the new stuff and would love an invite to the Super Group. In game name is same as here. Thanks.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 3, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

My favorite bug (feature???) was when the RIF/SIF/Experience boosts stacked with a group or something, I forget how it worked (or was intended to). All I know is I still have like 11 days of Experience boost and like a month of RIF/SIF. Which brings me to my second favorite bug which is that iirc RIF and SIF don't actually do anything.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

What's up with the ARMOR Defender achievement? I want that Howard the Duck teamup. A few weeks ago when it was the ARMOR event was the first time I've played since they added it, and I thought maybe just participating in the ARMOR stuff counted towards one, but that wasn't it. I googled around and found some stuff about a quest under the Event heading, but the only quest I have there is for Limbo (which I can't do until Mystic Mayhem, apparently).

I just want Howard. Help me goons.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Every time the ARMOR event rolls around there's a mission (open your notifications) to kill a bunch of interlopers, most of which can be done in midtown with a Kurse run to polish it off. It rewards an ult token from Jocasta at the end. Getting that token gets you one completion toward Howard. You can only do it once per event though, so it'll be a few months.

Turning on "Global Events" on the mission tracker shows me that, which is cool, but I still don't see anything else referencing it. Is there another notification panel or something?

I feel like an idiot and do appreciate the help tremendously, by the way.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Don't feel like an idiot - that's all the notification you're ever given that there's an event quest to complete. It's not even mentioned in the event announcements.

Par the course for this game to not explain something at all, I guess.

Too bad I missed out on it a couple weeks back though. I'm not sure I can maintain this level of effort for enough to get Howard....

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I think her melee options (NUTCRACKER) are technically better but I leveled her up to 60+beyond no problem. SG is one of the best.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

In what might be the stupidest loving question ever, is there any reason to keep the SHIELD Helicarrier teamup set to anything other than passive always? And for gear, just stuff that benefits me only and not it?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Without getting too much into Marvel/Fox (that's who controls the FF movies right?) drama, what's the endgame with eliminating the FF in all things? Like I could maybe understand if licensing the FF characters cost more than the others and it wasn't worth it, but why is Marvel going out of their way to cast out the FF? Are they trying to devalue them enough to convince Fox to sell the movie rights back or something?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is of course a fundamentally stupid plan, since the Fantastic Four is already objectively not making money for Fox, who are still super happy to hold onto rights they cannot leverage into income. Both sides are acting purely on spite.

This is, of course, a hell of a way to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Jack "the King" Kirby.

I guess this is what I don't get, I was under the impression the first two FF movies did poorly and the newest one even more, yet Fox and Marvel are having some weird contest about a franchise that basically nobody cares about.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

According to the official forums the console versions (Bone at least) are getting drops for heroes not yet added to the game. I can't believe how bad Gaz is at actually making this game.

In other news Necro owns and I haven't felt the need to revisit MH since the event ended. Maybe if/when they finish the Omega stuff but I have doubts that's going to happen....

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I feel if the game launched with an actual way to earn heroes without cash it would have been more successful and not have had a huge exodus of people who left and never came back.
Or maybe not, because then people wouldn't have paid $20 for the privilege of playing Iron Man, and Gaz would have been broke from the start. It was always a weird business model, really. In games like PoE or hell, Guild Wars 2, you can buy those $5 sword skins or a new mount or something. With Marvel Heroes, when I bought SG's aviator outfit I had no need to buy anything else for her. Same with Captain Marvel, I bought her original appearance costume on like Day 1 and never spent another dime (on her).

I'm not sure how much money I spent. Probably around $200. Steam says $40 but I did most of my purchasing back before it was on Steam, not to mention the packs from before the release. I think my time played on Steam was a little over 400 hours, but even after it was on Steam I kept using the standalone launcher for a while. So maybe like...500? 550?

Long live Ms. Marvel Captain Marvel, queen of punching poo poo.

Never cosmiced anyone either, even though I was tempted to do so with Captain Marvel and/or Squirrel Girl.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

davebo posted:

Marvel Heroes really did a good job keeping my spending in check at 8 cents an hour. Now I've fallen in to a much much more expensive hobby I hope I can quit soon.

Man I was at an antiques mall over the weekend and one of the booths had some 90s comics and as I was thumbing through I saw a Moon Knight issue with two large text bubbles on it. The first said

"WOLVERINE
Does not appear in this issue..."

And under that was one that said

"But with Spider-Man and Punisher guest starring, we don't think you'll mind!"

And I don't get why Marvel would go out of their way to advertise who isn't in an issue. Anyway it made me think of this thread and your Wolverine comics and the fact that Moon Knight will never be in a game again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

punchymcpunch posted:

it was a hilarious joke about how in the 90s WOLVERINE was in everything and especially in stuff that needed a quick sales boost, see also spiderman, punisher, ghost rider

I remarked to my wife that maybe Wolverine was in every other book that month so they had to let people know this was the one exception.

Also though where's my Ultimate Alliance 3

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Probably not surprising, but....

Investigation into Paragon Institute Raises More Than a Few Red Flags

quote:

• Paragon Institute leads to a site called Paragon Academy
  • the Academy has a physical location in Cary, North Carolina
  • the location is a residential neighborhood and can be seen using Google Maps
  • photos depict school kids engaged in educational pursuit, though it's been determined they are slightly altered public versions
  • one link mentioned on the Academy's site mentions Chadwick University, a "diploma mill" and a non-accredited university that was shut down in 2007.
  • Chadwick U was founded by a woman named Maxine Asher, a psychic, who founded another diploma mill that shut down after her death in 2016
  • Paragon Inc's founder is Willis Adkins currently running for Congress in North Carolina
  • Paragon Institute former was known as American Southern University Inc.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

I was talking to some dudes in a Discord I'm in and was regailing them with tales of Marvel Heroes madness. What are everyone's favorite examples of Gazquality? They got a kick out of Squirrel Girl's squirrelbones.

Turning the graphics up to max made the game run better than low settings.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

That would be way too good for Gaz, each costume would have its own currency. Extra currency for the hero itself would be used to upgrade their ultimate!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

PureRok posted:

Remember when the game first came out, and they forced you to pick something like 1 of 5 characters without ever getting a chance to try them?

I remember. Mine was Storm.

I heard later they let you pick one of any character (along with letting you play all them to level 5 I think for free). Later comers were lucky.

Just lol if you didn't drop $80 before the game launched on character packs

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I remember some event when there was a daily logon reward while I was gone for 2 weeks, so I set up a script to log in and claim it every day.

Wasn't this the game where a dev logged some guy on so he didn't miss the login bonus?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Today's discussion jogged my memory about more of the characters in their pre-rework state and *sucks teeth* yeeeeaaaahh maybe there were a few that were, um, challenging to succeed with. Pretty sure I didn't see many Daredevils or Moon Knights running around then either.

I played the poo poo out of Moon Knight before the rework but he was basically a worse Ms. Marvel.
Funny story, before his rework one of his best in slot items (I don't recall which) was a yellow item with the right rolls because his uniques were just that bad.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Wasn't the gimmick that his uniques were, worn together, a hybrid build that was much, much worse than stacking rares?

Yeah that sounds right because his ranged stuff sucked rear end but most of his uniques added to ranged and melee so it was a waste.

The most hilarious Moon Knight thing was his spinny staff attack that wasn't very good but the animation was so it was worth using.

I miss this dead game, I very nearly Cosmic'd Captain Marvel but decided against it, then when they announced the shutdown and made everything free* in the cash shop I thought "oh I could buy all the boosts and cosmic her" but by then there really was no point and of course the game shut down way early anyway.

*It was the most Gaz thing that they couldn't actually do this so they put everything on sale and gave free Gs everyday

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

It was amazing that a game truly was designed to need a physical man flipping a large analog steel lever to start Midtown

Gaz couldn't afford a single moment of dev time to automate anything

Devs were too busy designing passive skills to be always-on hidden buffs

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

You know it's easy to remember the many times Gaz did something dumb and hosed stuff up but for a while there they were actually adding characters pretty regularly and they had some good ideas like the synergies for leveling up heroes. And remember when they added Taskmaster completely unannounced? That fuckin ruled even if they never did anything like that again.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

One of the more remarkable things is that they took this fanbase with obviously loads of disposable income and built this unique game and still mismanaged it enough to make it collapse.

Like if they just ported it over to consoles as it was it probably would have kept on making money but instead they basically built a whole new game with the same assets. I just don't understand.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I thought someone at Gaz said that Disney was pretty hostile to stuff from before the buyout so when the game started floundering and Gaz wasted big bucks essentially creating a whole new game for consoles that didn't get the return they were hoping for, Disney let the license lapse. Frankly I don't blame Disney but you really think they would have handed another developer the license for a Marvel arpg but we don't even have a lovely phone game like that Diablo one.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

The biggest tragedy of the game shutting down is losing the o forums

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Now someone post Comixfan's response from when one of you got a costume thread up before him (Taskmaster?)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

More like Scarlet bit--- oh hey Wanda

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

There really was something about Marble Heroins that no other ARPG (I've found) has managed to match. The speed for sure but there was something else. Just thinking about the good times because I watched a review for the Avengers game and it looks awful (as predicted but still).

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, no other ARPG has captured the same feeling. It definitely had its flaws but no other ARPGs I've tried have had that je ne sais quoi. I remember the games media being pretty down it at launch, I wonder if it would still be around if it had launched in a better state. I feel like it would have eventually been plowed under to make room for more MCU-centric games anyway.

The thing is I feel like this was the perfect game to add poo poo to as more movies came out. They added Star Lord when Guardians came out and he was pretty cool. Plus every new movie meant new costumes for any relevant heroes, etc. All Gaz had to do was keep a moderate release schedule but they hosed it up trying to chase those console dollars

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I know it was suboptimal but a Brutal crit build on Moon Knight was so satisfying. Especially when they did that event where you could get a free Legendary weapon (is that what they were called?) and then just return it for Odin Marks and buy the Ultimate Nullifier for him. I think I had an overall brutal hit rate of like 1/3 of all hits would be brutal.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I miss Fiskmas more and more every year

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

You guys think they're gonna do a 70s Paul Bettany costume for Vision when the servers come back up?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Sea Lily posted:

the upcoming Magic The Gathering MMOARPG sounds like it has a lot in common with Marvel Heroes if yall haven't seen much on that yet. F2P game, starts you off with a single class of your choice, earn currency through drops while playing to unlock other classes. it's a diablo-like focused on co-op stuff, too. just instead of gear you get card drops to build a small 'deck' out of that you draw from and play in the real-time combat. casting spells, summoning monsters that fight alongside you, all the card game stuff but like... realtime, isometric ARPG with friends. there's class skill tree stuff too, and you don't have to match the color of your cards to the color of your class so in theory there's a lot of freedom for crazy builds. possibly. need to play the game to really see.

it's entering open beta mid-March so it may be worth checking out. this feels like it could be the closest thing to a MH style game we get for a while.

Thanks for the head's up that sounds cool.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I love you Taskmaster, even if they never really gave you a proper signature power, or a useful ult

TBH I think in my many hundreds of hours I only used an Ult like twice. Captain Marvel's for sure and maybe Moon Knight's. Because I didn't want to blow the CD and then actually need it more a minute later!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

If we ever actually get a private server going I better be able to get my several weeks of boons back

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Do you think they would have readded the F4?
Do you think Denny's will bring back the Thingburger?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

it was all downhill when they decided they needed more cash and the only solution was console

It's honestly a masterclass in how to destroy a small but loyal fanbase. Completely ignore the people that actually pay money so you can rebuild the entire game for ??? reasons ??? and maybe make money off more people.

Seriously what was the reason to change every stat and itemization.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I don't know if the NDA from the alpha is lifted but imo it wasn't very good and I can't imagine another month or so is going to help much. The idea of drawing cards to fill your hand to cast spells sounds great until you actually live with never knowing what your spell buttons will do at any time. Even in Marvel Heroes I set up all my heroes' hotbars similar to one another, so like Haymaker on Captain Marvel was the same as the nutkick on Squirrel Girl was the same as Moon Knight's big boss punch. With this game what a button does changes every time you cast something. You better memorize what every spell icon you have in your deck does, including range and area of effect. And then there's just the possibility of not drawing the card you want when you want it, it's like if a skill had a random cool down except it's every skill.

And that's to say nothing of the technical problems I encountered like "can't actually build more than one deck" which is kind of bad for a game built around decks of cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

How can you guys be talking about the best lines in the game and not mention "More like Scarlet B- oh hey Wanda I didn't see you there."

WandaVision spoiler:
When Agatha said "that makes you the Scarlet Witch" all I could think was "more like Scarlet B-"