Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Namaer posted:

Can you still prestige for costumes, or is the mega patch the one that introduced the costume closet?

You can still prestige for costumes, t he costume closet won't be coming until later in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

The Archaic posted:

Went from hitting 17-20 million brutal damage hits with Cap to maybe 2 million max. Cosmic stuff is infuriating now. How the hell do I get that back up now?

They did a stat squish and lopped a few zeroes off player damage and enemy HP, so you don't get that back up is the answer.

As for why Cosmic is hard, shrug. Somewhere between tuning the difficulty slider, radical character changes, and wanting to create room for future power growth.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I actually do see the logic behind the movement change and I largely agree with their top level goals. I didn't find it very hard to adjust to the new system.

That said, the entire change hinges on them doing the follow through and actually adjusting the game to make it so that bosses and endgame content are less lovely, all of our loot doesn't come from doing laps in enormous patrol zones, and major iteration on enemy density and having some kind of reward for not just zipping past "popcorn" enemies.

They have absolutely failed to materialize anything on the latter portion of this equation so far.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Theoretically once the omega update drops all of the blue-purple-yellow leveling equipment will be very different, since they will be driven off the same system as the new omega items and will benefit from the reworking of affix pools and reviews to roll ranges, etc. I don't know if that will make them "interesting" but it could slightly help their current lethally boring status somewhat.

Like a lot of other things we're in a kind of awkward limbo situation between two halves of a major rework, and currently some stuff has been knocked down with a wrecking ball and not yet really rebuilt.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Poultron posted:

poo poo I might have to get back into this after a year or whatever. I play Barbarian in Diablo 3 and specifically a Leapquake style of build. I like being basically unkillable and leaping/running around everywhere smashing dudes in like they're paper to me. Which Cool Marvel Hero is for Me?

Juggernaut

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

TwingeCrag posted:

I played this game about a year and a half ago and had a generally cordial time punching things as Captain America. Has it improved much since then? And how difficult is it to get new characters without dropping megabux?

If the last time you played was casually dabbling 18 months ago then there is plenty of new stuff to see. The character updates in particular have been great all around and there aren't nearly so many garbage tier characters in the game.

Getting new characters free is pretty easy if you play consistently, especially as a newer player where you can just buy cheap random hero boxes and have a high chance of getting a character you don't own. If you have your heart set on absolutely playing specific favorites though then you will have to either be patient or be willing to drop some bucks.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There are a lot of trait interactions in MH that also refresh or bypass cooldowns. It should come as a surprise to nobody that Gaz doesn't execute as well as Blizzard though.

I will gladly take the current paradigm of skills designed around a mix of both resource consumption and cooldowns over going back to every character running off a mana/spirit pool.

"This is my sorceress and she just casts frozen orb because that's her best spell and she has infinite mana" is not a world that I particularly want to go back to.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
One would hope that this update being a foundational investment in the future of the game suggests that Gaz is confident that they can keep the lights on for a little while at least.

You would think that if they were truly desperate for income they would be making GBS threads out characters and costumes like the sky was falling, but they're doing the opposite. The charitable interpretation is that they are more concerned about long term sustainability than short term profits.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
+1 for new stuff to find I guess

-2 for steering the game even deeper towards "nothing matters except bosses" and more reason to never leave CMM

Scoss fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 29, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't know why your Logitech mouse doesn't work, but those bindings are thumb buttons.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I have been casually popipng in on various MH streams for giveaways and this one guy is so far two days outta two on literally crying after receiving modest donations. It's like some bizarro camgirl thing where the people donate money to watch him cry.

I'm not sure a chance at a press pack is worth exposing myself to this.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/312899/animation-improvements-reponsiveness-animation-cancelling-coming-soon

Looks like they reviewed every power in the game and are adding more aggressive animation canceling when one power is queued into the next. Could potentially be a pretty significant improvement in gamefeel, particularly for some of the clunkier feeling characters in the game.

It's not exactly content but I'll be happy to see it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
They are attempting to create a kind of Diablo style "smart loot" system so that omega gear will not roll with completely nonsensical affixes and will be tailored to the character you're playing to some degree, in addition to an overall pruning and rebalancing of the types of affixes that can appear.

So there will definitely be a chase for "the right pants" but it will be a lot less hopelessly random than in the past.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

El Generico posted:

So is this game ruined like Steam seems to think

The game is in the middle of some upheaval that has been undertaken to fix systemic rot across all aspects of the game. It's currently in a sort of awkward in-between state where a lot of stuff has been clawed back in some way but the follow up work to actually fix or replace it has not yet been implemented. Probably the most notable example is their desire to encourage players to actually clear content and fight normal enemies rather than just teleport boss rush-- the mobility has been tamped down but the adjustments to the content and reward schemes haven't materialized yet. The groundwork has also been laid to phase out character uniques and replace them with new endgame gear while also supporting a new difficulty system, but those items don't yet exist.

I think that the steam reviews reflect the anger of a shrinking but obsessive playerbase that had grown accustomed to all of the idiosyncratic aspects of their dumb super hero game, and is completely allergic to major change. I'm not going to dismiss all the criticism of the changes as unfounded, but there is pretty clearly a lot of apoplectic mouth frothing without much consideration of the bigger picture. The biggest picture probably being the terminal downward trend of player numbers requiring them to take major action to course correct. I think a lot of the reviewers feel like if they smear enough poo poo on the walls they can force Gaz to backpedal and undo the patch, which is never ever going to happen.

FWIW I personally think a lot of the changes were smart and make it easy to overlook whatever was lost. I am much more fixated on whether or not the other shoe will drop, and how they will get back to actually adding new content again after they have wrapped up the major systems reworks.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Zerilan posted:

Oh, so a ton of powers in the game took a damage nerf?

They claim their intention was for the canceling change to be DPS neutral, so that characters would have the same overall damage output but still feel snappier.

Obviously with BED at least they completely screwed that up.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I didn't know it was even possible to box prestige still. How do you do it now?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Given Gaz's spectacularly bad history with patch bugs and shipping hot messes that require immediate fixes, I cannot imagine that the PC doesn't remain the tip of the spear for development like it always was. They need their PC testbed to work out kinks, because they cannot get away with the same level of sloppiness on consoles given the multi-week cert process that any patch has to go through.

I also seriously doubt that the two versions will diverge dramatically enough that the PC version would ever not be relevant to continued work on the console version. They have the manpower to develop one game where they maintain two versions staggered a little behind one another, they don't have the manpower to develop two totally separate games in parallel.

Basically I predict it's going to be Warframe, not much will change on PC. They'll have a big influx of revenue coming in from brand new console players, which is good for everyone. I'm curious to see how new players respond to the gamepad controls when everyone is using them and they have no other choice, I personally think they are heinously bad in comparison to Diablo 3's console controls.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 6, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
All I read is that they are locking out some content on the console release and re-introducing it over time.

If they're doing anything more substantial that that, I haven't heard about it?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I dunno, those still seem like pretty minor changes that make sense to experiment with when they have an opportunity to start a totally new blank-slate ecosystem with primarily new players in a game that is almost 4 years old. Operations just sound like terminals by another name, and if it's anything more than that it will probably be a part of the Omega update on PC too.

Take it for what it's worth but this post by MM makes it seem like the versions will not be very far apart -- https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/comment/4161769#Comment_4161769

quote:

... That being said, only certain departments were needed since the console game does not differ that vastly from the PC...

quote:

We still build for PC, and keep in mind 'does this go to console, and are there any things I need to set up to make that work'. Pretty much every idea is portable because the games are not that dissimilar.

I get the sense that a lot of their strange and noncommittal answers about specifics here are 100% contractual, from having to deal with Marvel, Sony, and Microsoft simultaneously.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 6, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
That content roadmap paints a very grim picture.

The creative director is in that thread talking about plans beyond 2018 and I'm wondering in a completely non-lovely way if he'll still have a job by then.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
You would certainly think that it should.

Most likely whatever intern is responsible for the UI has been nose to the grindstone for the past 18 months working on the UI/UX for the console release.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I enjoyed Diablo 3 but a new class is a bit too meager to hold my interest at this point, I wish the game had gotten another real expansion.

I have tried POE many times and find its high level stuff to be nearly impenetrable, but the new expansion addresses a few of my problems with having to play through the campaign over and over to level up, so I will definitely be checking it out.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I haven't actually played MH in any real way since probably the beginning of the year, but I was willing to let it at least sit on my hard drive and see what happens with the omega update.

After it has become crystal clear that the console is their lead version and the only one they are putting any dev time into, the total failure to manifest any of the much needed changes to enemies and bosses that was supposed to be the corollary of the BUE/movement change, the tremendously lovely looking revamp to the prestige system, and now finally the ultimate disappointment of omega items becoming genericized set pieces, I have absolutely zero optimism about the game pulling out of this death spiral.

The progressively more pathetic player concurrency numbers and Doomsaw crawling out to give an informal post-mortem on reddit are just more nails in the coffin.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Doomsaw still going ham on reddit

Doomsaw posted:

Definitely don't judge the company based on the CEO, Dave Dohrmann (that's his actual real name which he had to change for reasons that a simple google will illustrate).

His reputation for inappropriate conduct, especially towards women, is something that "industry insiders" are aware of talk about behind closed doors. His conduct has been tolerated because he often controls the money flow and is a good talker. This is a problem at some tech companies and needs to be addressed much more assertively.

I won't post the blog about him or get into details, but I will say that the regular employees Gazillion are very solid people and probably deserve a much better example of leadership.

http://davedohrmann.blogspot.com/

:eyepop:

Maybe you guys already heard about this but wow, there is some bad stuff in there.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Doomsaw went so crazy on reddit that Marvel finally took the game out back and shot it.

It was a fun bad game that was never as good as it deserved to be.

Never cosmic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
There's a better chance that Gaz somehow gets their license back than someone miraculously backwards engineering their server software( or a Gaz employee leaking it to the public). The game would need private server software to run, far more work than a simple pirate patch.