Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

The console plebes will save this game, just you wait and see.

Edit: Someone should make a new thread/op when the console version releases, since there are a lot differences between console and PC. I nominate Cams since he seems most excited about the console thing.

madcow fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

To be fair, there probably aren't many people still around from the initial PC launch, in terms of staff at least.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Because they overestimated the gently caress out of their ability to deliver the rest of it in an even remotely timely fashion. See also: removing the uniques-to-credit chests/relics recipes because Omega items will totally be here Soon, guys!

Not that splitting the update into several parts wasn't a bad idea to begin with, of course.

My guess is that they had been working on the BUE for quite a long time and once the new CEO came in and said, 'CONSOLES!', it hosed up their development timeline as that took priority over everything else. So, they pushed out what they had done with the first part of the BUE update since that was pretty much finished and pushed back the rest of it until after the console version is up and running. Also, I can't imagine having 3 different creative directors in a couple years or whatever is helpful for consistency in planning and execution.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

GW2 is ok to play when you have literally nothing else you feel like playing. The end game gets stale rather quickly, in my experience. They just replaced the traditional level/item grind with other types of grinds.

I will probably check out PoE again once the expansion hits, but I always run out of steam shortly after getting to the point of grinding maps.

madcow fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 24, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I can't believe this game's actually slowed down new character additions so much that it's starting to roll backwards and remove them

Come on now, in corporate terms they are simply "restructuring".

Also is that yet another Ironman palette swap?

Edit: Oh I see, he gets wings now...

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Grim Dawn is also getting an expansion soon-ish.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

I'll probably relinquish the thread rights to somebody else for the next one. Probably do the same for the guild, and it's going to davebo.

So if anybody wants to step up for a new thread, be my guest.

davebo posted:

Thanks for destroying any incentive I had to keep playing aside from force of habit Gaz.

This is the end of an era friends, the sun is finally settting. The Yellow God is no more.

Sad day friends, sad day....

I still login by the way, up to login day 1080 (?), I just don't actually play or very rarely at least. Still waiting for that other half of the Omega update and by waiting I mean playing other games.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

So I still watch the Breviks' twitch stream on occasion and every now and then David will share some story about MH.

A few days ago, he retold the story of how the central source code database for the entire game got corrupted 4 days before the original launch by...

someone unplugging the server in a panic after they entered some command or whatever that they weren't supposed to.

So apparently, 4 days before the original launch, they had to go around and collect bits of source code of the game from all the dev machines and try to mix and match it until they got a full version of the game.

He also shared a story about how one of the original coders for the game did it in such a way that no one else could understand what the gently caress was going on with the code and then the guy quit at 3am or something on launch day or around there.

Edit: He also mentioned that the same thing happened with Diablo 2 (i.e. source code database getting corrupted/wiped shortly before release).

madcow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So wait: the PC version calls itself Omega. Are the new items in? Is there ANY new content besides Carnage?

No, in their infinite wisdom, they decided to re-brand the game yet again before the second half of the "BUE" dropped. I think last I heard they are shooting for September-ish

Aside from Carnage, I think there is a new terminal or two (?) and that is about it.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Lozareth posted:

What do you do at the level cap in PoE? I know the early game really blows so I'm leery of returning to an arpg that isn't fun for leveling.

Once you finish the story, you grind an endless number of randomly generated maps with random affixes/multiple tiers and hope to get lucky with drops (lol) or get poo poo you can sell for currency/get lucky with currency drops, so you can trade for the gear you need to finish/optimize your build. I guess there is the labyrinth now too, but I think it is still mostly map grinding. There is solo self-found too, if you don't like trading, but I wouldn't recommend that unless you enjoy pain.

Once you complete your build, you either make a new character or keep grinding maps for xp and currency for other characters you want to make.

Aside from that, there are a couple end game bosses, like Atziri and Shaper for when you get to mid 70s - 80s, but those require you farm or buy the pop items and require your build/gear to be not terrible or you won't have enough dps to kill them.

Reaching the level cap takes forever too, like D2 used to, so no point in striving for that. Not to mention you lose xp when you die after a certain level in softcore/standard league, so it is easy to erase hours upon hours of xp gains with a single death at the higher levels.

madcow fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 24, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

POE is a clusterfuck of bad design decisions, Japanese F2P cell phone game UI, and ugly environments that kind of makes me want to die, namaste

Let's be honest, everyone who is in this thread has a special affinity for terrible games, so POE fits right in. The only thing it is lacking is vibrant colors and big bulges, although I suppose some of the MTXs can be colorful.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

quote:

Behold Psylocke, Horseman of War. Both the boss version and costume come with a super rad Psychic Ballista power!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

They said it is coming to PC, just later with the "Omega" patch, which I guess is when they will update some of the content to match the new name.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Pretty sure Asros posted somewhere on the forums that he misspoke when he said 25% and meant to say 20% in that tweet.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

cams posted:

...is that what the event is on pc? on ps4 you go to story chapter 3 to kill ninjas, and are rewarded with one of the gambling boxes. event is on its 11th day now, probably go two weeks, so 14 possible free boxes (2800g value)

i only started doing it on day 6 and i've gotten 3 costumes from it and about 120 marvelous essence so i can buy pmuch any costume i want.

i like most of the choices they've made with the console version of this game.

On PC, it is the normal, do daily event, get currency to get items from vendor.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Summer 2014 was the golden age of Marble Hebrons. Back when the events were new and fresh and sooo many free random hero tokens/codes.... they must have fired that guy from the marketing team.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I think Ryolnir just exhausted Gaz's supply of hotdogs. Being a creative lead demanded a supply far in excess of what Gaz could provide him.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Winterthur posted:

Alright two things guys. One of these is based directly on feedback from yesterday.

1 - Vulture Legendary will take the properties of the Console Counterpart. I had brought this over as a Movement Legendary since it was a highly requested item and you guys didn't have access to Herme's Sandals. Vulture's Legendary will go from Movement to Gadget for many of you.

B - ilvl80 Legendaries will be updated to support the keyword system as well as bringing forth a new host of ilvl80 Legendaries over time, like ilvl80 Herme's Sandals.

I think they are still figuring this stuff out on the fly.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

If anyone can find that original Omega items tease, I would be curious to see it. I looked for it briefly, but I couldn't find it (they probably went back and deleted it).

Anyways, compared to what was originally teased ages ago, which actually seemed like it had potential, the new Omega items look rather generic and boring. Instead of adding bounces to Cap's Shield Throw or whatever, you get another generic damage modifier/defense affix and recycled gfx, woo....

I mean it is obvious part of the reason they did this, was so they didn't have to worry about making unique items for every hero. Also, now they can sell the costumes that grant new skills that much easier, to whoever is left playing.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Do you mean this? If there are any spoilers that pre-date these I don't remember them.

Yeah that was it.

quote:

The goal for Omega Powers is to enable players to modify their powers in ways that can palpably impact your build choices. Make no mistake about it–Omega Items will be build-defining mechanics rather than static buffs to Powers.

Adding 3 bounces to shield throw isn't exactly the pinnacle of excitement, but you could at least see where that had potential. Now Omega items have obviously abandoned the above sentiment to become, choose the same skill build you were going to anyways, and assemble whatever random assortment of set items give you max damage bonus modifiers + maybe a damage layer or two borrowed from another hero.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I foresee many people complaining about being unable to get the last item or two to complete sets, especially as they add more and more set items.

Now, most of the items you get, for slot 1-5 at least, are for the hero you are playing, but with generic items for all heroes, I am guessing it will largely be a crapshoot what you get. I suppose it might be slightly tailored to the damage type that hero is, but beyond that, good luck!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I am disappointed that there is unlikely to be another super 69, 88, whatever again and that the press pack G's are going to go to waste. I was going to do some super giveaway something or other for the next tourney, but Gaz had to go and gently caress it up. Thanks Gaz.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

You can do a destiny 2 giveaway with me instead because it's filled with MH goons.

Do they use G's in Destiny 2?

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Just give me all the Gs so they don't get wasted

I need to buy every Spider-Man skin

You know, there is a 50% off sale now....

We probably should wait until they start adding the costumes that grant new skills though.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Orren posted:

Runes will not be removed, but they’ll not be used for Runewords. With this patch Runewords will be retired and replaced by Modifications. Modifications go onto your Utility Armor Slot. (Slot 3) This also applies to enchants for slots 1, 2, 4, and 5. These have been replaced with Enhancements. You can hold onto your current runes if you’re sentimental like me, or you can sell these for credits.

Guess that is it for Runes, next thing you know they are going to delete Stone of Jordan unique from the game too!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

So do all these superhero games share a similar curve (demise) or is this just a trend common amongst F2P games that struggle to survive?

Marble Hebrons is really the only superhero game I have played in recent years, I never play City of Heroes and others, so I never saw what went on when those were finally reaching the end of their life.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Scoss posted:

Doomsaw still going ham on reddit

http://davedohrmann.blogspot.com/

:eyepop:

Maybe you guys already heard about this but wow, there is some bad stuff in there.

Doomsaw is retired yeah? Guess that is why he isn't hesitant to spill the beans or what not.

And here I was thinking the worst quality about the new CEO was that he was some venture capitalist trying to squeeze every last penny out of Marvel Heroes, etc.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Doomsaw posted:

I believe this information was withheld from Marvel by the board, who were well aware of the issues. The exact details are unclear, but it's far too common for men in power to allow bad behavior to occur by other men in power.

Doomsaw always knew how to deliver the news and retirement won't hold him back.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

User posted:

I'm generally not inclined to believe these kinds of salacious stories from people with an obvious axe to grind, but if this story isn't true it's a slam dunk case of libel. Since this guy is a CEO presumably he knows and can afford lawyers and he hasn't taken action, that strongly suggests it actually is true.

Not to mention, he changed his name on his public profile on the company page, twitter account, linkedin, etc. Obviously, wanted to reduce the chances of people googling his name and having that blog pop up.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

davebo posted:

Also due to the pointlessness of continued play, I renamed the supergroup to Moot Force.

ICR didn't pass the mantle to you for no reason, you can do better than that.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

I am convinced people only prestiged because there was gently caress all to do in the game, when you play a lot, since Gaz adds new content in the form of compelling new items and zones at a glacial pace, if at all.

This all feels like a poorly thought out attempt at working around not increasing the level cap, especially now that they are adding a power factor to prestiging. Although I suppose it is pretty clever in the short term, if they are trying to avoid more work.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Like Doomsaw, this thread still delivers.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

You forgot to add that the boxes should require separate keys too.

Edit: Doomsaw delivering the doom:

Doomsaw posted:

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I’ll share my personal opinion on their business with the caveat that I’m not there anymore: If you have a loyal community on any platform (which we did on PC), don’t disenfranchise them while trying to add a new platform.

We worked for a couple of years to build up a strong community, and even though it was small by some standards, it still represented a big chunk of revenue and goodwill. So, the drop in PC player base could have been avoided while still making a solid console project. Its clear from the layoffs in the summer and other changes that the strategic decision has already had massive repercussions and will ultimately end the project.

madcow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 2, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Question: is Thor: Ragnarok the first Marvel movie that doesn't have a tie-in costume released same day as the movie? Because that's pretty drat telling, if so.

In fact, I think all the shows had tie-ins too. From looking at the web page, even the terrible Inhumans show has a tie-in costume (for consoles only).

Aside from everything else going on, you know something is going down in china town because I specifically remember them talking about some kind of event for the Thor movie a while back, along with some new costumes (Planet Hulk update, etc.).

By the way, I was bored the other day and looked up court filings for one David L. Dorhmann, turns out quite a few of the details in that blog post are true. Who would have thought that a guy who can't manage his credit in his personal life would be bad at running a company too...

madcow fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 5, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

There was some comment on reddit or somewhere, maybe it was already posted here, but basically the gamble they took by going all in on the console version, apparently didn't do well enough to offset the losses from the exodus of PC players and so they missed their 3rd quarter benchmarks as far as finances and their funding sources dried up, in the sense that they said they weren't going to give Gaz more money.

Now they are supposedly trying to shop around the game(s) to different publishers, but no one is/was biting.

If that is true or not, who knows, but seems plausible considering the current state of events.

Edit: I found it, here: https://forums.marvelheroesomega.com/discussion/10750/interesting-news-update-bring-on-the-von-doom-and-gloom

madcow fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 5, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

It probably would have worked, if they didn't appoint an idiot and creep for a CEO.

Edit: https://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/329689/send-some-love#latest

I would think some kind of announcement would come before the holidays. After all, if you are going to lay off a bunch of people, no better time to do than right before the holidays!

madcow fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 12, 2017

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Doomsaw got demoted on the official forums, no more purple name for him.

That's too bad.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

EA ruins everything.

Also, I never went cosmic either, so I guess I win too?

I have 21k g's left. I didn't pay for any of them though, thanks for that press pack Winterthur!

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

Davebo, what will you do now? What is Wolverine's next game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

davebo posted:

Did they give any kind of time frame for when servers will shut off?

No, there has yet to be any kind of word from Gaz to the player base beyond AgentPilot's 'we'll let you know what is up when we can' over the past week or so.