Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Zeroisanumber posted:

In the case of Syria, there is no country.

There is. It's actually a warzone too, it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Any able bodied man who becomes a refugee is a coward. He should stay and fight for his country.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nolgthorn posted:

There is. It's actually a warzone too, it's real.

It's a great place to live if you want to die like a dog and be crucified by maniacs.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I loving love John Denver

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's a great place to live if you want to die like a dog and be crucified by maniacs.

All the conflict that's going on there probably came out of nowhere or was the fault of Germany, who never set foot there. Or, it could have been the united states that did it, which didn't exist 250 years ago and the region has been in conflict for 1400 years.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Nolgthorn posted:

All the conflict that's going on there probably came out of nowhere or was the fault of Germany, who never set foot there. Or, it could have been the united states that did it, which didn't exist 250 years ago and the region has been in conflict for 1400 years.

The only mistake the US did with the Iraq war was not destroying all traces of Saddam or Islam and making it the 51st state.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nolgthorn posted:

Syria was formed as a modern state in 1918 out of former provinces of the Ottoman Empire. The French ruled it until after WWII.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Syria was formed as a modern state in 1918 out of former provinces of the Ottoman Empire. The French ruled it until after WWII.

Fitting that the only period in which it was most modern and largely free of war was while ruled by someone else.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nolgthorn posted:

Fitting that the only period in which it was modern and free of war was while ruled by someone else.

WW2 was what exactly lol a stroll in the park?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

WW2 was what exactly lol a stroll in the park?

Basically because their rulers were overcome by Nazi Germany, who Syrian's supported. To this day his book remains a best seller throughout the middle east, fyi.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nolgthorn posted:

Fitting that the only period in which it was most modern and largely free of war was while ruled by someone else.

You mean from 1516-1916 when it was under Ottoman rule and the Millet System saw diverse groups of people and religions living together in harmony?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

South Park is pretty good when they aren't being all liberal

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I also think liberals, just liked hippies before them, have collapsed into black holes of self-importance and are hurting their causes and views, which imo are mostly right and proper, much worse at this point than their opponents. When you call large demographics uncultured, racist, ignorant, stupid or just generally bad, you make these people oppose you instead of reaching a beneficial compromise.

I'd call myself liberal at heart, but hearing about micro-aggressions or safe-spaces, combined with the all white people are evil mantra, I can't take these people seriously at all.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
True neutrals should exterminate the left and the right, but true neutrals are too chill to give much of a gently caress about anything and thus get steamrolled by their own apathy.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Radical Islam is objectively way worse than most other organized religions ever were because of the knowledge they willingly ignore.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Islam is a scourge upon the earth, and if Jesus does not strike them with his sword soon, we as Christians should take it upon ourselves to carry out his will, soon.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Liberals are killing themselves by terrorizing our streets (again) today.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

But enough about the US

Freestyle
Sep 2, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Brutally ripping babies to pieces before they are even born is not ok.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We need to get that got danged fair tax enacted asap.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My dad is a very conservative guy. He recycles every recyclable the city will take because it gives him a free second trash day.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is nothing wrong with our military spending as it allows us to be a world super power and a leading force for good in the world.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Castle doctrine should be a god given right, and should extend the globe!

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lime Tonics posted:

Castle doctrine should be a god given right, and should extend the globe!

Similarly stand your ground laws prevent muggings and make for a more polite society.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
All great empires are built on the backs of slaves. Actual slaves or paid slave wages, it doesn't matter.

That said, the world would be better if people just shut up, knew their places, consumed, died, and were forgotten.

The only things that trees are good for are making consumer goods and shading my car as I park on the tarmac of the once great Amazon rainforest while I buy another set of 10 dollar plastic bowls made by child slave labor in China.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

No one has been able to explain to me, liberal or conservative, how illegal immigration ultimately helps citizens in lower economic tiers.

I don't hold this against the illegal immigrants, I think what they're doing makes sense from their point of view. And I get that abuse of their labor makes many goods cheaper, such as produce. However, food, for example, is laughably inexpensive in the United States. I think lower-income people would prefer a labor market that isn't being openly undercut, and would benefit in the aggregate even if the price of some goods and services increased. I do absolutely believe that illegal immigrants are beneficial to the US economy overall, but that these benefits are concentrated at the top.

In any country, particularly those with two clearly delineated "sides", which party favors immigration is the one that the plurality of immigrants subscribe to. The american left would change its tune real quick if immigrants who were inclined to vote republican started coming here.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

And good.

bedel jews
Mar 29, 2016
why are all the jew threads in Race Space instead of Coupons

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
The Israel Palestine issue really isn't that important.

This is a Not Liberal viewpoint I suppose

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Israel should stop pussyfooting around and just put all the palestines into camps already. They would be safer in there and not die from throwing rocks at tanks.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The US education system is a nightmare on every level, from county level to state level back up the federal level all loving with each other and making sure nothing ever gets fixed.

I think we should throw it all out and just make people watch Star Trek - The Original Series instead. It will save on textbook money and there's some cool poo poo in there man. Next week's lesson is on Errand of Mercy and the benefits/drawbacks of interventionist policy.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Abolish all schools and give their budget to the local minister. Kids gotta learn about god and godliness in the community before they can do anything worthwhile anyway.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
Reading Jonathan Haidt's book "The Righteous Mind" was really good in terms of considering conservative positions as "positions I disagree with, which may come from a different moral perspective" instead of "work of evil, manipulated idiots" (which was me until about late 2012). The bad part of this is I might've gotten too good at it and find I can't quite jump on board the latest big DEMOCRATIC OUTRAGE as easily anymore - it also led me to be more suspicious of the media and clickbait spheres, and how you can prey on liberal readers' bias the same way Fox News et al does it to conservatives.

Also: I hate both the left and the right on Islam, currently. The right sees the legitimate issues of global Islamism and responds by casting wide nets about banning the religion, and seemingly having no problem letting their political leaders score cheap political points by demagoguing. I'm terrified at what Trump can do, especially with the power of his office. On the other hand, I do think Islamism actually is a real thing that's worth discussing, Obama's "treat it like the mob" strategy got rhetorically blown up by ISIS, Sam Harris isn't a bigot because of a philosophical paper on torture and a dumb statement from 9 years ago, and Maajid Nawaz being on the SPLC "anti-Muslim extremist" list is just insanity. We need some kind of new center here.

I'm tempted to toss in trigger warnings/safe spaces, but I feel like backlash to that outpaced actual proponents awhile ago.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Landstander posted:

Reading Jonathan Haidt's book "The Righteous Mind" was really good in terms of considering conservative positions as "positions I disagree with, which may come from a different moral perspective" instead of "work of evil, manipulated idiots" (which was me until about late 2012). The bad part of this is I might've gotten too good at it and find I can't quite jump on board the latest big DEMOCRATIC OUTRAGE as easily anymore - it also led me to be more suspicious of the media and clickbait spheres, and how you can prey on liberal readers' bias the same way Fox News et al does it to conservatives.

Also: I hate both the left and the right on Islam, currently. The right sees the legitimate issues of global Islamism and responds by casting wide nets about banning the religion, and seemingly having no problem letting their political leaders score cheap political points by demagoguing. I'm terrified at what Trump can do, especially with the power of his office. On the other hand, I do think Islamism actually is a real thing that's worth discussing, Obama's "treat it like the mob" strategy got rhetorically blown up by ISIS, Sam Harris isn't a bigot because of a philosophical paper on torture and a dumb statement from 9 years ago, and Maajid Nawaz being on the SPLC "anti-Muslim extremist" list is just insanity. We need some kind of new center here.

I'm tempted to toss in trigger warnings/safe spaces, but I feel like backlash to that outpaced actual proponents awhile ago.

This is a good post and pretty much where I'm at. Left-leaning media doesn't strike me as any less bankrupt than conservative media any more, even while I agree with many of the conclusions drawn. It'd be cool if there were a way to criticize Islamism as a political force without trying to demonize Muslim people, the same way I'm happy to denounce the christian religious right, but I don't care enough to be the one to thread that needle in GBS of all places.

I kinda like trigger warnings. Tagging one's writing by content is good and should be encouraged, whatever the intent is. It shouldn't just be negative things, tag stuff so that people can find stuff they like more easily in addition to avoiding stuff they don't and everyone wins. Safe spaces seem harmless to me even if I don't think GBS ought to be one, but I don't like that tolerance of their existence is divided along political lines - conservative spaces do in fact have a right to exist.

Personally I'm much more inclined to criticize groups I mostly agree with, like the left, rather than ones I know I don't. Bad faith nonsense burns me a lot more when it's coming from folks whose conclusions I advocate for. Bad arguments for good policy are more harmful to any left movement than conservatives being allowed to exist.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the old people that have lived a life outside of myspace and MMO's that are maybe a bit backwards thinking in race a social issues due to their isolated upbringing are more educated and better to talk to than persnickety millennial men in dresses that call me a racist homophobe for disagreeing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

big pharma isn't big enough

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This is a good post and pretty much where I'm at. Left-leaning media doesn't strike me as any less bankrupt than conservative media any more, even while I agree with many of the conclusions drawn. It'd be cool if there were a way to criticize Islamism as a political force without trying to demonize Muslim people, the same way I'm happy to denounce the christian religious right, but I don't care enough to be the one to thread that needle in GBS of all places.

I kinda like trigger warnings. Tagging one's writing by content is good and should be encouraged, whatever the intent is. It shouldn't just be negative things, tag stuff so that people can find stuff they like more easily in addition to avoiding stuff they don't and everyone wins. Safe spaces seem harmless to me even if I don't think GBS ought to be one, but I don't like that tolerance of their existence is divided along political lines - conservative spaces do in fact have a right to exist.

Personally I'm much more inclined to criticize groups I mostly agree with, like the left, rather than ones I know I don't. Bad faith nonsense burns me a lot more when it's coming from folks whose conclusions I advocate for. Bad arguments for good policy are more harmful to any left movement than conservatives being allowed to exist.
Just to beat the dead horse of this issue and clarify, I think both of these terms have an "innocuous" meaning and a more "activist" form. Like you say, if people want to post content warnings or tag things, great - I remember watching "Night and Fog" in undergrad and the professor tossed in a "hey this is really hosed up" beforehand. There's no problem there. If people want to be in an environment where you don't have to deal with dissenting voices or other opinions, whether based around identity or belief, that's fine too, and can be useful.

But talk of making TWs mandatory, or just "expected" in a college environment, seems really wrongheaded given how personalized "triggers" can be, and how that can impact covering controversial material. The fact I could never find a trauma expert to actually think they were a good idea also threw me off. "Safe space" can also be expanded to where an entire college is a "safe space", and therefore controversial topic/speaker X can't come around because Unsafe. That's well beyond the initial definition above. I also think some people jump back and forth between definitions in a cynical, motte-and-bailey kind of way. That's more my problem.

The amount of bandwidth spent discussing this over the past few years is admittedly disproportionate to how much of a problem this is, but I stand by my position.
aww lookit the little guy :3:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Only a weak minded person would want "trigger warnings". They should not be in academia to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
For many years you have been asking yourselves: who is John Galt?

• Locked thread