Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what the gently caress happened that caused the forums powers that be to convulse and self destruct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alaois posted:

lowtax decided that the forums are bad now because everybody is too afraid of being punished for offending people

I thought it was the opposite and he didn't like how Trump supporters get poo poo on all the time? Or does he think making GBS threads on Trump supporters is too PC or something?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dammit Lowtax, trying to revert the forums back to its mid 2000s libertarian slant won't bring back the glory days!

Also regarding the Regan comparisons at least people loving hate Trump. He's statistically the least popular incoming president of all time. Reagan on the other hand had his slimy actor persona that made him seem like a nice reasonable human being that made you feel good about yourself.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jota posted:

Now someone needs to recreate all the division threads

gently caress that, lets go way back and bring back the individual team threads.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

nah man, a subforum for each team, filled with 53 individual player threads

ITT We talk about JJ Wilcox

What about practice squad players? They deserve a thread too!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

can all of the cool afc north people just get in the freaking discord so i don't have to make an afc north thread.

gently caress discord its people like you causing Lowtax to have a freak out about needing to get the forums busier so he can pay his kids through college.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

lmao chill dude i just want to talk to my posting friends.

I don't understand Discord and it scares me :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

People can post in more than one place, my friend.

Just lol if you don't spend hours finely tuning and crafting each and every one of your posts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Light the beacons, send riders to gather the good posters

Can the beacons be seen all the way from the Appalachians?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I wonder what the ratio of supporter to protestor will be at the inauguration itself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The US seriously lags behind most European countries in organized anti-fa.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

4RingShrimp for mod please.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If you want to get really academic about the Eastern Front read anything by David Glantz. He is absolutely amazing and basically the authority on the Ostfront in WWII. I recommend reading When Titans Clashed for a general 41-45 overview. If you get really into it read his Stalingrad quadrilogy. That being said unless you are really into thisshit you'll find it a slog to read since its very dry and matter of fact. He also has a book on Kursk, Operation Mars, and a brand new book on operations in Belarus. He somehow still hasn't written a book on Operation Bagration so I hope that's coming someday. Also watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clz27nghIg

If you want something a lot lighter read Ivan's War. It'll make you hate humanity pretty good. For a good in-between Antony Beevor and Robert Citino are great.

And there's also an awesome 18 hour documentary series on the Ostfront called Soviet Storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A6UWkK2U4s

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 22, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Read Wages of Destruction by Adam Tooze to see just how shoetring literally everything the German Army did was.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I ate at least 15 chocolate chip cookies yesterday

I've been known to bake an entire roll of cookie dough and eat it all myself. Get on my level.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I will force history chat onto this forum if I have to. I've been reading non stop Ancient Rome since the summer. Adrian Goldsworthy's biographies of Caesar and Caesar Augusts are fantastic. And I also read Tom Holland (of Rubicon fame) new book Dynasty which was pretty decent.

But I need to put a recommendation to Mastering the West by Dexter Hoyos. It's on the Punic Wars and goes into superb detail on the Second Punic War. It's not just about Trebia and Cannae and then a fast forward to Zama like most accounts. It goes into all of the years in between with not only with the Scipios in Spain but the incredible effort by the Romans to defend against and contain Hannibal in Italy itself. At the height of the war the Romans had over half a million citizen and allied troops deployed in the field at one time, a scale of mobilization that would not be matched until Revolutionary France 2,000 years later. And this was after losing over 100,000 troops in the first few disastrous years of the war, most notably about 60k in one single day at Cannae. I would love to write a paper on how the Second Punic War can be considered the first Total War in world history but well :effort: and to what end?

tl;dr Scipio Africanus was a loving badass

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

cannae sounds loving horrifying

blinded by dust, everyone facing a different direction, people killing each other just for a chance to escape....

The human crush of the Romans trying to desperately fight or just plain run away in the vice like grip of Hannibal's encirclement is disturbing to imagine. The book Ghosts of Cannae goes into detail on the terrifying visceral carnage of ancient warfare and how Cannae was extra horrifying even by the standards of the day.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I want to see Cato taking a poo poo while meeting with the delegates from some Eastern Client Kingdom.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Mary Beard's SPQR is a pretty good place to start.

This. I read it two months ago during my current blitzkrieg through the subject and its a great place to start from ground zero. It's a fantastic overview of Roman history, society, and culture. Rubicon is a fantastic book but its a narrative focused on one era of Roman history rather than a general overview.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I didn't know you switched to power lifting.

hahahaha

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I'd recommend the Ancient Rome A&T thread which also has a bunch of cool ancient history facts; also the occasional quack who believes in Atlantis and Romans coming to America

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446

Helpful hint for everyone starting to read this awesome thread. Ignore literally everything Agesilaus posts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

In The Name of Rome by Goldsworthy is a great compilation of mini biographies of the biggest names in Roman history.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

My cousin worked in pickle factory.

People pissed in the brine barrels.

So that's why they taste so good.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The Star Wars prequels are actually the best movies as its all plot.

Oh god the Cinema Discusso Star Wars thread is invading!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fiz probably knows a decent amount about Indian food.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Man I need this thread. I keep making the mistake of posting in D&D arguing that maybe the US can withstand the disaster of a Trump Presidency and not fall into a literal dictatorship. This of course makes me a closet Trump supporter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

round peg hits square hole

I subconsciously hate myself and can't help it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That's mean, I even complemented you on your avatar. :(

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My standard Civ strategy is to build every single wonder before anyone else drat the practicalities.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

So is Civ 6 worth it? I just bought 5 on a crazy rear end steam sale.

General consensus is wait for the expansion. And probably the 2nd one too.

That's usually how the series goes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is it with strategy games and it being wise to wait for the first expansion/major patch before buying it? It's the law for Civ, Paradox, Total War, etc.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Once it was made clear that they can outsource the tuning of the game engine to modders that became the norm. Also, programming a complex AI is hard.

I blame Bethesda for that poo poo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

You need to let the nutters bang on it for thousands of hours to figure out the balance changes you actually need to make.

Remember when public BETAs were more than just some 3 day publicity event? Now they are just long enough for people to have fun but short enough that no one discovers the huge flaws.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alaois posted:

I don't know about the others but Paradox games are loving ridiculously complex, you can playtest the poo poo out of those things as much as is financially feasible and still miss 90% of the bugs that are gonna pop up when millions of people start playing it

I'll say that Paradox games are much better at launch than in the EU 3 days. Crusader Kings 2 was a real turning point.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Kalli posted:

Other forums for those paradox games were where I realized just how prominent nazis were becoming on the internet.

"No but we just want a Holocaust mod for HoI because of historical immersion!"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WoW Goon stories are nothing compared to EVE Goon stories. BobFromMarketing trying to reach an agreement with the parents of a 14 year old Icelandic girl that would allow him to gently caress her comes to mind. Or anything to do with Ramedial.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Alaois posted:

Was BobFromMarketing also an EVE Goon, I mostly remember the drama around that whole thing involving an ArcheAge guild, and the members of said guild being very blase about him being a pedo because he was good at fishing or some poo poo

Bob was a fleet commander in GoonSwarm for quite a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Reach an agreement?

What does that entail

Honestly I forget the exact details but it was just as disturbing as it sounds. Like negotiating over a reverse dowry.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dude then went to jail because he used his position as a real estate legal guy (I don't know what that's officially called, not a realtor) to scam the elderly out of hundreds of thousands of dollars in phony mortgages. After he got out he joined the army.

In EVE Goons are really close to several Russian guilds which are vaguely backed by legit super rich oligarchs. Which have used IRL intimidation of opponents to gain advantage in game. Eve is a loving crazy rear end "game."

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I spent 2 years reading all the front page articles and content like Photoshop Friday, Comedy Goldmine, and Fashion Swat before I even figured out that a forum existed. Somehow I never really questioned where all that content came from.

• Locked thread