Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

We already did that, friend. Did you see the AFC South thread?

Now that Parm is gone I'm ok with the idea of an AFC West thread.

It would mostly be SA2K crying about things and everyone hating the Broncos, with some Chiefs/Raiders sniping back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I only knew him from the boxing thread where there are like 5 posters but he seemed cool.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

4RingShrimp for mod please.

AAC is back and trolling, obviously he deserves consideration.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Not rebranding 'fake news' to some other term is another left wing blunder, since the right has been pushing that poo poo about legitimate news for at least 30 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh are we doing history book chat? I really liked Iron Coffins by Herbert A Werner about serving as an officer and later captain on U Boats during WW2. Like, if you know anything about the Battle of the Atlantic you realize they're total death traps by the end of the war, but just everything about serving on one sounds miserable. There's a story about taking on eggs for a crew of 50 but everyone except the few experienced guys were so seasick they couldn't eat them, so the author and a few other guys were stuck eating nothing but eggs so they wouldn't all go bad.

It's also interesting if you're into learning how regular guys viewed how the war was going on at certain points.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am reading books about the Seleukid Empire because I am so loving bored of WW2.

I randomly chose an apologistic book about Caligula to report on that attempted to view him in a unbiased light way back when I was in school. It was alright.

Might have been this. Pretty much everyone who wrote about the dude who actually knew what went down is on the record as hating him, which is evidence that he was everything people tend to think about him. But it could also be evidence that maybe he wasn't quite all that bad and just pissed off the type of people who wrote about things back then.

I'm not actually recommending this book but it's about that other thing that's way over analyzed and not WW2 so...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mod/not-mod thought: I like how SAS proper is just rolling along in fear of Hand Knit who may not even have logged on in a few days and TFF and PSP/whatever it's called now are going wild.

I don't actually know if PSP is going wild since I only check thread titles and the sad lonely boxing thread.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 22, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--if you've actually checked it out than go with that first

Scionix posted:

someones probably gonna fuckin MURDER me for this but is there anything similar to hardcore history for like the ancient roman-ish time period. Doesn't have to be early hundred's BC exactly or anything but I don't know if there's a term for that time period. ancient history is just really cool, man. im sorry i like dan carlin dont hurt me please

I'm sure it's not as good and I've never actually checked it out but deadspin did something like that with (I assume) a dude with history chops. The first is here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I actually clicked on the podcast I half assed suggested and the guy's voice annoys me, ignore my suggestion until someone who will listen to it for a while recommends it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Will Ferrell should be in more halfway serious roles, yeah.

I don't know how well that worked out for Jim Carrey.

On the other hand it made Tom Hanks a superstar.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Not a word about Friday, you honky rear end crackers.

I was unconvinced of your assertion that there are people in the world who didn't like Friday.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

greatest scene in the history of american cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYs-0EO0ts

This is impressive but it's like you don't even post in TFF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFBYq_h_J0

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

Holy poo poo I spent 3 years as an unpaid babysitter

Holy loving poo poo has it been that long?

Going back to bland/bad food chat I finally got my mother (who grew up on a goddamned farm) to try medium rare steak. She believed it wasn't done unless it was leather, and it took me years to forgive her for growing up like that--also we ate steak like twice in 12 years I can remember as a kid since no one liked it for some reason or other.

She loved it :unsmith:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

WoW Goon stories are nothing compared to EVE Goon stories.

The word Goon is superfluous here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Who was the dude who was scamming people in SA-Mart and about to be banned while he was posting in a GDT? I remember a bunch of us telling him to pay up or explain and then he got permad in like the 2nd quarter.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How in the world did Johnny Cash manage to have a concert at Folsom prison?

I cannot imagine any prison in the world doing something like that these days with a loving gospel band, let alone someone like Johnny Cash.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just cancelled Comcast after finally getting Google Fiber. :feelsgood:

Also holy poo poo is the internet fast.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I'm imagining Ye Olde School AFC South thread just being three Colts posters getting drunk and comparing burger places to go to when they're in Indy with an occasional Texans fan coming on, calling Bud Adams an rear end in a top hat, and leaving.

I came in at the tail end of the old divisional threads but I remember the AFC South posters seemed to all be ridiculously chill with each other, although everyone who wasn't a Colts fan would complain about Peyton. It was like the exact opposite of the NFC South where everyone hated each other no matter what.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The NFC North thread was good except for when it became Packers 3rd String Everything chat

Did the mythical third string fullback chat ever actually happen or was that just a joke about the trend in general? If it did happen give me names to google so I can see just how far down the well this went.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Need footage asap

Or a link to a story so I don't have to google Richard Spencer.

I just saw the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is going to release a new Doomsday Clock setting today (it might stay the same). We're currently one minute off of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbRHY1l0vc

I honestly had no idea we were at 3 minutes to midnight already, I am a bad doomsday clock watcher. After looking it up apparently they pay attention to any doomsday scenario and global warming was the main motivation to move it down the last couple of times, so there's a good chance we match the old cold war record of 2 from 1953.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

I just saw the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is going to release a new Doomsday Clock setting today (it might stay the same). We're currently one minute off of:

No one but me cares (I love dumb cold war things) but they set it at 2 and a half minutes, the first time they've ever used a half minute. Damned wimps, tell us we're all going to die already :argh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JPrime posted:

Didn't Baylor just have some big scandal?

Unless I'm missing the joke, um, yes.

They fired the best coach they ever had and also fired Ken Starr (yeah the one you're thinking of). And then everyone not on the board of directors defended both of them, as if this would have been done if things weren't really bad. The whole thing is over the top ridiculous.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

If the systematic rape and cover-up of literal children won't do it, then what the gently caress will? :pwn:

Ignoring arguments about what the NCAA's jurisdiction is (which, honestly are probably relevant) it's basically never going to happen to a big program again. The NCAA was #1 horrified at what happened to SMU and #2 actually kind of works for the big programs. Or at least the P5 can opt out and start their own thing if it comes down to it.

The death penalty is now reserved for like D3 volleyball programs who gently caress up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

He stopped posting here after the QCS callout thread and pretty much stuck to the basketball threads with hurr durr dunk on children posts

He stuck to the college football threads in TFF around that time but he was always around there. Still is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching an episode of SVU before the pro bowl because I hate myself I appreciate fine art, and the over the top evil college that is systematically ignoring rapes is like, nowhere near as bad as Baylor :lol:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

OH hi look a chat thread. Is this where I can post this and ask football nerds "uhhh, what the gently caress?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000780496/article/san-francisco-49ers-name-john-lynch-general-manager

Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789178&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=110#post468870977

TLDR: we don't know wtf either.

Sick day movie: Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I want to watch Strange Brew again, but I'm afraid to because I haven't watched it since I was a dumbass teenager and the magic might be ruined.

I'm worried that take off hoser won't be as funny because I'm all :corsair:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

well if you're expanding all the way out to any sports movie...
cool runnings
Senna
loving Rocky
the big lebowski (bowling is so a sport)
white men cant jump
raging bull I mean come on

also the bad news bears lol

I mean, Caddyshack should be in this post somewhere if bowling makes the cut.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hump day bitches! posted:

Now Royce Gracie is someone you can take a dump on and nobody is going to come to his defense.Piece of poo poo.

As someone who has paid about zero attention to UFC since back when Royce was actually fighting (and not much at the time) tell me why he's awful.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

hump day bitches! posted:

After Eddie Bravo worked his brother in metamoris ( he absolutely destroyed royler) he went after him and tried to fight him in the backstage area over perceived slights which is ridiculous because bravo loves the Gracie's.

He illegally kneed shamrock in the balls in the tragic Bellator fight ( hilarious but still wrong)

He jucied like an NFL player to get and edge when his jiu-jitsu stopped working against wrestleboxers.

Probably the moment he squandered his good will when he fought saku and tried and got almost all advantages possible including a personalised ruleset and hen proceeded to lose.
He's a sore loser and kind of rear end in a top hat,basically piece poo poo is too harsh but it's the tff chat and hyperbole is king.

For a MMA dude he's kind of mild, specially for an early one.

I'm going to imagine he's the MMA version of Juan Manuel Marquez. Brilliant, got his rear end beat by someone better, and loved the juice.

Did he ever drink his own pee? That all that's missing. Well that and a huge family in the business.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big money big clit posted:

Marquez loving owns, this is blasphemy. This is why we need mods!

He's just about my favorite boxer ever, however everything I said there about him is true. The brilliant part of things should have been bolded of course, because holy poo poo can he figure people out.

I'm just imagining the comparison to Royce Gracie based on the previous post of course, since I know poo poo about MMA.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Thank you for the movie suggestions I feel better all ready

What did you watch?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eh, that works too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Marquez had to cheat by juicing to beat Pacquiao. He does not own

He beat him three two times already before that though.

Yeah I can't really give him the first fight, a draw was a robbery there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Yeah lmao if you think Pacquiao never juiced.

I'm sure it happened, but there's juicing a little for an advantage and then there's Lyle Alzedo gently caress everything I am going to get ripped juicing. Look at little Juan here:

And then here:

Someone find the Jason Giambi comparison pics from his time on the olympic team to the yankees, because those are the most amazing roid pics.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Boxing is dead

GGG is fun though :unsmith:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

That's like saying you couldn't get into Saving Private Ryan because the first Tom Hanks movie you saw was Big and he wouldn't ever be anyone but Josh Baskin.

I choose to think of Tom Hanks as no one but Streebeck from Dragnet personally.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pubic works project posted:

I'm gonna bring up something from my childhood that I still enjoy: The original Transformers cartoon. Come at me.

Transformers: the Movie ruined everything. Maybe it's great, I don't know, all I know is if you were a kid and your parents wouldn't pay money for you to go see that movie you were totally lost. Like all of a sudden no one you know is around, there's this annoying dude who talks fast, Optimus Prime is gone, the Dinobots go from godlike to loving relics overnight. All because someone needed new toys to sell :argh:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On a completely different note I really want to time travel back to 2006 or so lay down a series of bets that TIger Woods will have no shot of beating Jack Nicklaus's major championship record.

Or maybe a few years earlier to tell everyone to stop paying attention to golf because...jesus it's golf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How have you guys talked about NES games this long without mentioning Tetris? I have spent an embarrassing amount of my life playing plain old NES Tetris.

• Locked thread