Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Leperflesh posted:

Jimi covering all along the watchtower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

I mean come on

Dylan started playing the song like a cover of Jimi covering his song. Only not as rad because he's not Jimi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

^ That looks amazing!!!

Is Smashburger any good? We moved down to AZ and everyone talked about In 'n Out and we tried it and were pretty underwhelmed by the quality of burger and Smash looks like it would be the same, but never been there. I am a huge fan of Five Guys and Red Robin burgers (Jack in the Box too). Please advise if I should try Smashburger.

I think Five Guys and Red Robin are both kind of bad to be honest, so you're probably not going to benefit from my opinion either way. :v:

I liked In & Out, but that was like 1 time 10+ years ago so my memory is super vague.

Smashburger is pretty different from any of the above, I didn't hate it but I don't feel bad that I can't go to one anymore.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

I like Sonic too :shrug:

What's your go to for Burgers then?

For a fast food type burger, Fat Mo's. Little Mo (1/4lb) with cheese, mushrooms & jalapenos.

For a real treat Gabby's Burgers & Fries, but they're nowhere near where I work so I rarely go there. :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

fartknocker posted:

Bonus points if your character was naked and listening to Tim & Eric's Sports while doing so.

It was Return of the Mack for me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's mostly YLLS that criticizes people who workout for aesthetics.

I've always been body image obsessed, so my opinion on this is colored by that fact, realtalk

Shows how long I've been ignoring it, I remember when every other post was like "I want to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club!"

Then the bodybuilder roid guys appeared and the answer to everything was complex periodiziation and protein shakes and poo poo.

Then, uh, I forget. I think I got my big red title sometime after I quit posting there regularly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Eli Wiggum posted:

Is this a troll?

http://divascancook.com/wonder-soup-recipe-weight-loss-soup-7-day-diet-cabbage-soup/

I saw someone try to put something like this into action and, uh, yeah.

Nothing is too stupid to be real fitness advice given by someone.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ideally you find a form of exercise that you actually enjoy so it isn't this depressing chore. That's when a lot of people turn a corner in trying to improve their health. It's hard though, some things aren't very accessible unless you're lucky or can afford to spend money up front. Running and weights are the generic suggestions because they are usually affordable if you're smart about it and can work well, but the truth is a lot if people just find them miserable or tedious.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 26, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Health goons, what is the microwavable pizza roll for me?

Annie's Pizza Poppers? Never had them so it's just a random idea. Probably need some garlic salt and red pepper flakes to tart it up. Or hot sauce or whatever.

It's still frozen pizza crap but it might be "healthier" in a generic way, e.g no added nitrates.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

in the eventual Fiz biopic this scene is going to be followed by a bunch of fat bearded guys in basements reading the comments and applauding vigorously

"And thus... he spoke to the goons"

Mel landed what felt like a good :iceburn: in 2014 or something and has been chasing that high ever since.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It wasn't a burn?

Who remembers, I'm not curator of the burn library.

Which I assume would be a rad job to have, come to think of it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

PYF Ross

Forums Ross
Ross Perot

Ross Perot fit easily in an overhead bin.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So this ESPN purge is supposed to whack about... 100 people? :stare:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Who has Nashville recommendations for food

Edit I want to try hot chicken

Gabby's Burgers and Fries
Desano pizza
For hot chicken Prince's is the original but is also a total zoo, Boltons and Hattie B's are popular too. I do Hatte Bs just because it's closest. Expect to wait in line at any of them, really, unless it's a completely random time of day.

With hot chicken the heat ratings are often hilarious lies where medium is death heat and everything above that is a sadistic joke. Except for Hattie Bs which are pretty honest, e.g. their "hot" is what a casual fan of spicy food would consider hot. Hattie B's also has excellent sides, except for their fries which are completely generic crinkle cut from a freezer bag so skip those.

Edits galore:

When it comes to Nashville BBQ it's the definition of :effort: by Southern standards. You can find OK ribs and pulled pork, but they have no concept of what to do with brisket yet insist on selling it anyway. Chicken/turkey/sausage are all meh for the most part around here too.

Baja Burrito sells a brisket burrito that's actually pretty drat solid though. "Baja Burrito" totally sounds like the name of a chain but it's actually not.

My go-to if I want to spend :20bux: on steak & fries is J. Alexanders.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 28, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Don't spend poo poo on the wedding, eloping owns, money in the bank owns. If you both want a big party then fine, but a big wedding for its own sake is some dumb loving poo poo if you aren't rich.

Marriage is for when you know you're going to be with the person forever anyway. If that isn't a given don't do it.

Also if you don't agree on money and kids (or lack thereof) lol kill yourself. Because if you don't agree on these things for real everything is hosed forever.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 29, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Anxiety about big life decisions is natural, but you have to be honest with yourself about what you're worried about. If you can articulate real problems then that should give you pause. If the person actively keeps you from the things in life that make you happy, or makes you feel like poo poo for even wanting them in the first place, that's some toxic poo poo to worry about.

Stuff like "what of they spontaneously decide they hate me and go gently caress everyone else and steal all my poo poo?!?" is just irrational anxiety or whatever. You know, probably . :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

New England style seafood restaurant someplace where all the seafood is Captain D's tier garbage.

3 kinds of clam chowder and fish and chips for miles, motherfuckers. :getin:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

im just cranky because i want some loving carbs

I've got some prunes. Side effects may vary.

Side effects never vary :itwaspoo:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shangri-Law School posted:

:cripes:

We did do single-payer. It was called the Medicaid expansion and was a great foothold for further improvement. Now they're block-granting it.

I'd like a choice that isn't either a) milquetoast papering over of society's problems or b) openly loving evil.

But that's not gonna happen so whelp. :smith:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Conservatism IRL

:nws: https://youtu.be/sg-4ATrE8n0?t=17s :nws:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 4, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diqnol posted:

USPOL needs to be burnt to the ground.

Unfortunately that would probably work out about as well as the Reichstag fire.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Im not some bitchbaby nerd who cares about lore or anything, but i really liked all three games and when I got to the end of ME3 even I was like wow.. That Uh... That sucked

Same. Like everything, hardcore geeks got way too :qq: over it.. but that doesn't take away from the fact that the ending was in fact lovely. You just picked a color and pushed a button and one of 3 cut-scenes played that kind of made no sense, game over.

BrownThunder posted:

Some might call Mass Effect a tasting tour of Sci-Fi

That ended at the anus, yes. :butt:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cash Monet posted:

There's a new one?

Made by none of the people who worked on the first 3. By all accounts it's a very :effort: game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Guns for precision target shooting often have very light trigger pulls that make them unsafe for any other use.

Or they were just loving around and overdid it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a neat cape posted:

What kind of moles arevwe talking about here

No no no it's mole, like the sauce. :ese:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

this just means you play Red Dead Redemption instead of persona

Correct answer is Witcher 3 anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

That's because college kids come in with the bare minimum of knowledge and have only demonstrated an ability to "learn." Eat, digest, pass, poo poo it out, and move on to the next subject. There's no retention. I'm miles ahead of the kids I see graduating here because a lot of the technical classes that involve things that you would need to know on a daily basis in the industry, are fairly easy classes. So they do the bare minimum there, and walk out with a B and no knowledge. Experience trumps that every day of the week. And I already have a decade of experience in my field, and will be remaining in it for the rest of my life with or without a degree. So generalized education really grinds my gears. I might have to look into a different school that fits my needs better, because working full time and then coming home to do a book report is just not going to be worth my time. I'm not optimistic I'll find something though.

You're kind of mixing up two kinds of value here, I think.

1) There's the practical value of what you learn in the classes you have to take to get the degree. This will vary from "somewhat" to "lolwut" no matter what degree/career combination you're looking at. That's just life.

2) Then there's the value that possessing the degree has in terms of job opportunities, prestige/respect within your chosen profession, making more money, whatever.

If 2) is important to you accomplishing your life goals, then put up with the dumb poo poo and just do what is necessary to get the degree. Life is full of dumb unfair poo poo, just suck it up in the short term for the long-term benefit.

On the other hand, it's 100% possible that the payoff you get from 2) is NOT WORTH IT AT ALL. Depending on what you do in life, having that degree might not have much dollar value or whatever. In which case just quit and do something else instead of pissing yourself off for the sake of doing it.

Volkerball posted:

Any not awful pats fan, might want to make your presence known now.

I gave it my best shot. :patssay::effort:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I'm 100% focused on the practical value. I dropped the degree program and put together my own curriculum with an associate's worth of credits specialized for me. By dumping all the irrelevant classes, I was able to add in principles of management and supervision, industrial psychology, supply chain and warehousing logistics, and a ton of other things relevant to running a machine shop. Kids coming out of college aren't going to have anywhere near the skillset I do. If a company would take one of them over me, I wouldn't want to work for them anyways, because that indicates to me a refusal to think outside the box and be innovative. Instead of making their own trail, they're following the same beaten path everyone else is. And in American manufacturing, that trail ends in a ditch with a bag on your head. That piece of paper isn't bringing in anything you don't already have. And if every company values a piece of paper that much, I'll use the skills I have to start up my own shop in my garage and show all them dumb mother fuckers.

This is a common mindset and it overlooks an important practical problem: your resume will probably have to get past a screening process before a hiring manager ever sees it and decides if it's good enough to merit an interview. So, depending on the kind of job we're talking about, there is an excellent chance that some HR dope or whatever will throw your resume away for not having an "expected" degree on it before it ever reaches a hiring manger. The guy who wants to hire the position you're trying to get might be cool with people without degrees, but if they never see your resume in the first place it's irrelevant.

That's a huge part of the value of possessing a degree: getting past the moron gatekeepers so you can get a real chance at talking your way into the job.

(This obviously varies a lot depending on the kind of job/industry/etc.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

So nothing you've ever taught?

Or been taught, apparently. :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Volkerball posted:

It's pretty likely I could get hired for low level management in this field without any college at all. I'm almost there at my current job. I lucked into an entry level with training position years ago, so my resume is already gonna get read.

In that case just do whatever and :chillpill: I guess.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

the goddamn d&d chat thread is less petty and overly detail-oriented than this

dwell on that

But... dwelling on dumb poo poo is the problem itself?!? :ironicat:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Publix bagels are kind of lovely but that's the only complaint I can really think of.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I never liked getting my food from a place that sounds like pubic.

Not even your hot juicy wieners? Because that seems like a win-win.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Communist Weed Fishermen for Kalli 2018. :911:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Also post pics of your pets

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Neurologists saved me from death/brain damage OR DID THEY :haw: and ENTs fixed my comically hosed up deviated septum so overall my attitude towards doctors is pretty positive. Breathing through the nose is cool and good, also not being dead I guess but whatever.

You want to talk about bad luck though, my experience with orthopedic doctors is just lol. 3 different chuckle-fucks mis-diagnosed my shoulder joint problems repeatedly over 5 loving years before figuring out I had partial tears in my rotator cuff and labrum.

The suggested remedy was an operation they said would take a year to fully recover from and completely incapacitate me for 8 weeks. LOLWUT

So I just started trying different things and now I have minimal pain and can loving rock climb without really aggravating it. But by all means, sure, let's disassemble my upper torso in the hopes it ends up better 12 months down the line, you absolute rear end in a top hat.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 12, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Just watch Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and actually enjoy a comic book movie.

Kong:Skull Island was surprisingly fun too actually.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Promethus gets bashed for having dumb characters, but it's clear that the crew was just thrown together and that the science mission is just a cover story. Their only purpose is a) get Weyland's wrinkled rear end to the planet, and b) act as pawns for David's mad science fuckery. Weyland did not give a single gently caress about hiring the best geologist or botanist whatever the poo poo, he hired the kind of dope who smokes weed with his space suit respirator while on the job. I think in the mission briefing one of them even says words to the effect of, "I'm just here for the paycheck, also I'm a giant dickhead."

That said, Alien Covenant is quite a bit worse than that, mostly because anyone not played by Michael Fassbender is a cardboard cutout to the point where it makes the Prometheus crew look like the ensemble from a 1970s Robert Altman film. Like, they don't even rise up to the level of cliches, because you can at least recognize a cliche, while the Covenant crew are just a wall of :effort:. Except maybe the one loudly religious guy who thinks he's a martyr to his faith, but is really just someone nobody likes because he's a huge pissbaby who screws up all the time. He dies the most obvious idiot's death ever, and I think it was kind of funny in the meanest way possible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Moore was in a lot of :effort: Bond movies, but The Spy Who Loved Me is pretty solid, and Live and Let Die is completely insane.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

I was gonna make fun of him but Popeyes would be a regular part of my diet even if I was rich.

Popeyes is way better so you're still ahead of him there.

KFC's quality has been in a death spiral since the 1980s or something and just keeps finding new lows. I'm talking compared to other fast food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Went to the Patriots Hall of Fame recently, it has a super-widescreen panoramic propaganda movie about the team that would've done Leni Riefenstahl proud.

[On 9 June 2017]
[31 years after the Bears crushed them 46-10]
[27 years after suffering Rod Rust and going 0-15]
[17 years after the beginning of the Patriots rebirth]
[Bill Belichick flies again to Foxborough to review the columns of his faithful followers]

Hilariously, it includes a lot of their awful pre-Bilichick history and ancient fans talking about how pathetic they were, but not a single mention of the New York GIants.

The Pro Shop is tragically tame though. I basically wanted 5 Ring Shrimp in t-shirt form and they just had generic NFL approved team stuff.

• Locked thread