Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

axeil posted:

This.

If you look reasonably okay, can carry on a conversation, and show general interest in the person you're talking to, you will clean up. Keep in mind it's also a volume game though. During the peak of my online dating time I was sending about 10-12 messages/day on OkCupid and had about a 20% response rate. Of those that responded to my initial message I probably went on a date with about half of them, and ended up hooking up with around a third of those. So doing out the math I would have about 6 messages a week (assuming I sent 30 messages), 3 dates set up and around 1 hook-ups. A week. Honestly the hardest part was coordinating schedules for dates.

I have some friends getting into online dating now and it's hilarious/sad just how bad at it they are. I tried to give them tips on how to write a good message (show common interests, be funny but don't force it and ultimately seem normal/don't focus on books/movies/tv shows at the expense of all else) and they just refuse to listen.

edit: most people complaining about dating sites are usually failing one of the first three items. they either don't care about their appearance/have terrible photos, talk like :spergin: mixed with :geno:, are so self-centered it's a huge turn off or are full in on :females:

I guess there's also the people going for super models when they're an average joe/jane at the exclusion of everyone else but that sorta falls into the first category.

Pretty much this.

Though I'm so old I remember when none of things you named really existed and IIRC match.com was the only non-skeevy option. The same basic principles applied though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

A dude weaponized his boston rear end in a top hat to gently caress with debt collectors, and it's a good read:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-12-06/millions-are-hounded-for-debt-they-don-t-owe-one-victim-fought-back-with-a-vengeance

This is delightful. :allears:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Blind obedience isn't nearly as much of a thing in the military as people seem to think it is. Especially when a commander is briefing their officers on the mission, they explain WHY things need to be done a certain way. And Poe is presented as an officer (captain/commander/whatever), not a generic grunt.

Curiously enough, the original Star Wars movies reflect this. Each one has the rebel leadership give a briefing where they explain why the plan is what it is and why certain things need to happen. When people asked questions about the plan to blow up the Death Star/escape Hoth/blow up another Death Star in those scenes the rebel leaders weren't an rear end about it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I found someone who doesn't give a gently caress about your so-called "cold weather" bitching.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Hahahaha yeah that cat sure doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

I mean: it's a cat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My AV notwithstanding, the fastest way to look like you probably want to look if you're a stereotypical skinny-fat goon who makes posts like "I want to get abs and don't want to get big" is to take up rock climbing.

This is impractical for a lot of people obviously, and also you might fall and die.*

*Climbing in a climbing gym on the auto-belays is very safe if you just follow the rules and aren't a huge rear end in a top hat, though.

The ideal thing in general is to find a very strenuous exercise that doesn't bore you to death, so you will consistently do a shitload of it without hating life and quitting.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still laugh at people who go "I don't want to lift weights because I don't want to get big."

piss tape israel posted:

It's mostly soccer moms who believe this

There was an epidemic of this in whatever the workout subform was called years ago when I was dumb enough to post there and give controversial advice like "If you want some visible muscles maybe try one of these beginner weight programs, I dunno?"

:qq: BUT I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE A MUSCLE MANS :qq:

I'm long past tilting at that particular windmill though.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I also enjoyed when people would say that they don't want to get "too bulky, just kind of clean like this" and then post a picture of a dude who clearly has been lifting weights for years.

Brad Pitt in Fight Club was a common benchmark too.

e: Then some dudes who literally bragged about steroid use showed up around when I lost interest in posting there, ironically enough.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

piss tape israel posted:

Ah, Watch & Weight, also home to that god awful Low Carb Megathread (which I admittedly posted in but was nowhere near as crazy as a lot of the people who posted there, namely TheCosmicMuffet).

"EAT ALL THE BACON AND SAUSAGE AND CRISCO YOU WANT. JUST DON'T EAT A CARB"

"This sugar-free ketchup happens to have a sugar alcohol in it. Will I gain 20 lbs overnight? :ohdear:"

I think I missed the no carb thread madness, but I don't remember much about W&W beyond a vague recollection that there was a lot of dumb loving drama that I got burned out on. Like, fine, if a handful of people want to hate the gently caress out of me because I suggested some simplified barbell routine to a beginner... uh OK I guess?

I actually like the red title though, it replaced one I got completely out of nowhere from a maniac in Automotive Insanity that involved... Honda cars and jerking off? :iiam:

e: I remembered right, lol

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

Girls like abs

Women like legs

I mean, a guy without legs can't walk, and a guy without abs would just fold over backwards, so they both have their place really.

• Locked thread