Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I'll be eating poo poo for all my meals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

fishing with the fam posted:

One of these days I'm really gonna have to find out what happened to the first two reichs.

The first Reich was the Holy Roman Empire and the 2nd Reich was the Kaisers Reich until the end of 1918. From 1918 to the nazis there was no "Reich" just a hated government made up of cowards and Bolsheviks according to the nazis

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The Japanese troops left behind by their army in the Pacific Islands the Allies decided to skip were full of terrible starvation and cannibalism

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The Chiefs are like Fascist Italy. Convinced they are a powerhouse that demands respect but the rest of the world chuckles and shakes its head

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I ate at least 15 chocolate chip cookies yesterday

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I will force history chat onto this forum if I have to. I've been reading non stop Ancient Rome since the summer. Adrian Goldsworthy's biographies of Caesar and Caesar Augusts are fantastic. And I also read Tom Holland (of Rubicon fame) new book Dynasty which was pretty decent.

But I need to put a recommendation to Mastering the West by Dexter Hoyos. It's on the Punic Wars and goes into superb detail on the Second Punic War. It's not just about Trebia and Cannae and then a fast forward to Zama like most accounts. It goes into all of the years in between with not only with the Scipios in Spain but the incredible effort by the Romans to defend against and contain Hannibal in Italy itself. At the height of the war the Romans had over half a million citizen and allied troops deployed in the field at one time, a scale of mobilization that would not be matched until Revolutionary France 2,000 years later. And this was after losing over 100,000 troops in the first few disastrous years of the war, most notably about 60k in one single day at Cannae. I would love to write a paper on how the Second Punic War can be considered the first Total War in world history but well :effort: and to what end?

tl;dr Scipio Africanus was a loving badass

Ive been looking for a new book to read, so I bought this on Kindle last night after turning off the football games. I read the first chapter, it's really great. Somewhere in the 2nd chapter a sentence or two reminded me of how fun it is to play the computer game Civilization, and I now I have re-installed it on my laptop. Probably won't finish the book, but it gave me the inspiration I needed

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What's better: Civ 5 or Civ 6

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Captain America Civil War is the best movie I've ever seen, nonstop action and intrigue for the entire time...including twists and betrayals.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Die Hard: a lost man missing his shoes finds his way down to the lobby

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I stayed in the gym for an extra hour after seeing the Waiters 3

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Okay, well: they are going out in search of a green land with water, when they realize it doesn't exist they decide to go back to the only other source of water..it does make sense

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What's my latest culinary love? Korean BBQ spare ribs from my local Chinese takeout

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Indian food is good, but good luck finding quality Indian food in a restaurant in America. Maybe places like NJ have good spots, there are none in D.C.

Besides Punjabi Junction in Sterling, VA. Very good food there

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
When I lived in Boston there was a really really great Indian restaurant near Cambridge...it was a Punjabi Tabha (this is a type of restaurant but I think it was also the name of the place) and it was 2 stories (top story just seating) and no waiters or anything, you just order your food at a window and then wait to pick it up. It's the best goddamn Indian food I've had in America

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

SHOAH NUFF posted:

When I lived in Boston there was a really really great Indian restaurant near Cambridge...it was a Punjabi Tabha (this is a type of restaurant but I think it was also the name of the place) and it was 2 stories (top story just seating) and no waiters or anything, you just order your food at a window and then wait to pick it up. It's the best goddamn Indian food I've had in America

Punjabi Dhaba
225 Hampshire St, Cambridge, MA 02139

A must visit!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
things I'm really into lately:

- Korean BBQ spare ribs
- Peanut Butter filled M&Ms
- working on my cardio
- Playing Civilization as a sea-faring power

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What's my strategy and tactics in Civ 5? Well for the first thousand or so years I just built up a powerful economy, grab all the resources both industrial and luxury, and establish powerful alliances and trading routes. Once the aircraft carrier is researched I built a powerful flotilla and slowly steam around from port city to port city waging war.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Sour Diesel posted:

getting a sick loving navy owns

:captainpop: is how all my AI enemies are looking after I sail up to them with my ships

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Also you have to take out Gandhi and Alexander (might have been Caesar or Fredrick the Great, but one of those guys) immediately because those guys are pretty belligerent and don't take no for an answer. It's vital for me to play peacefully for the first few hundred years and they make it impossible

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I want to try jiujitsu but I don't want to get close enough to smell another man's sweat, unless its on the gridiron of course

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What's everyone's favorite Civ special unit. I like the Indonesian warship or the Mongolian horseman

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Today at the gym I got dizzy and sat down and had a strange existential crisis....will post with an update later when I learn more..

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Executive Decision
Walking Tall
A Few Good Men

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
is 13 Assassins good? I have been wanting to watch it for a while but just keep re-watching other poo poo instead

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I saw 13 Assassins, it's really good. The flaming bulls were awesome, the fight scenes were incredible. Was the monkey man from the forests a god since he couldn't die? Incredible . I feel like I have a lot in common with the Samurai class also..

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Do you guys want to found a militia

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
:gary: i need an Adderal/Xanax combo at work right now

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Diablo 1 is the best Diablo game still. I remember fighting the Butcher in the 2nd level of the dungeon as an 11 year old and it was really a magical time for me in my life

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Ehud posted:

What's everyone doing this weekend

I'm gonna go see John Wick 2 with my wife

John Wick 2 with my 13 yr old cousin

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
There's a spicy soup from the far east called "pho" which I enjoy when I have a cold

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What are some flavor combos I've been really into lately? I'm glad you asked:

- sea salt and watermelon
- coconut and mango
- chocolate and coffee

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
what is the best video game on the Xbox right now, preferably something that isn't a corny RPG, I already am enjoying Battlefield 1 and NBA2k17

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
My latest food craze is meaty savory broths

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I am driving up to Baltimore with a new memory-foam pillow as a gift for my hard working GF, also will be stopping by Ekiben to get 2 fried chicken rice platters. If you live in Baltimore and don't eat at Ekiben at least once a week you are a chump

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
women perform the biggest labor of all...........childbirth

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What's everyone's favorite workplace phrase to use , I enjoy saying "there's a lot of moving parts here"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I was on my phone browsing Snapchat at el gymo and this dude walks by me and goes "so you follow Teanna Trump too huh"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What cooking trends am I following closely these days?

1. I'm learning how to make my own chicken broth. For soups, ramen
2. I'm trying to master the cooking of boneless chicken thighs as kebab meat
3. Learn the deeper secrets of Japanese cooking

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I have realized that I really enjoy eating rotisserie chickens, but I am kinda tired of having to season them after bringing them home, and even then its kinda dull. So I'm just cutting up the chicken, maybe even shredding it a bit, and putting it in a nice broth for a really hearty soup..

I'm definitely going for the cloudy, fatty broth instead of the clear type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I rode a horse up a volcano in Costa Rica, with 0 training, i don't even remember if I had a saddle. The horse respected me, and our tour guide stopped along the way to fix an injured bird's wing

later that night I feasted on shredded pork and plaintains

• Locked thread