Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Shangri-Law School posted:

What makes for a good day movie?

13 Assassins is pretty awesome.

loving right on, the second half of the movie is one long carnival ride that I never wanted to end. I just rewatched Conan the Barbarian last night (1982 version, duh), so that's a solid recommend as always. Also, any answer to "watch should I watch" should always start with "If Fury Road's not available, you should see. . ."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

is 13 Assassins good? I have been wanting to watch it for a while but just keep re-watching other poo poo instead

The first half is kind of hosed up and you'll wonder what the hell you're watching. The second half is amazing and you'll never want it to end.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Probably Magic posted:

I own In The Loop and haven't watched it yet, how much of an rear end in a top hat am I?

It should be noted I've seen a poo poo ton of clips from it already, though.

Eh, its okay but I didn't love it, basically it's just an extended episode of The Thick of It, which I like well enough but not enough that a movie was extra special or anything.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

Hey TFF, if you are like me and have an hour commute, and also some complaints about how the government is acting, I am here to give the PSA that the single most effective way to get your message across is by calling your local reps and Senators. E-mailing is easily ignored, as is hand written letters. Phone calls are the best way to implore a congressman to do something. Visit house.gov to find out your reps, and a basic google search to find your senators. A phone call is always logged, while other methods are not. I call everyday on my way home from work, so pick whatever time is more convenient and call. This is not a political statement, just a statement of how to get what you as a constituent want conveyed to your representative and Senators. Its activism, which now more than ever is needed.

There are sites that'll make this super easy too, https://www.5calls.org will do almost all the work for you. Especially now that the football season is almost over, I know plenty of people are looking for a good new way to scream at public figures about how you could do their job better, substitute your local representative for your preferred coach or coordinator and go to town.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I'm finally playing through the Mass Effect series. They're okay I guess.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AATrek was a mod and was still charged, so I don't know why mods being absent would be any better.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yo I get this awful rear end foot pain every morning. It's always my left foot and it's always the inside of my arch, like at the joint where your foot tilts upward. Am I dying TFF?

We all are, every minute of every day.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

you guys don't love video games until you've made the pilgrimage to Funspot and played the world's largest collection of arcade machines

plan a trip for the same weekend as the NASCAR race in Laconia and have all sorts of drunken deadbeat fun

We've got Ground Kontrol here in town, and it kind of ruined the childhood illusion of arcade games for me, the magic just wasn't there any more. Oh well, I'll always have Skee ball.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Doltos posted:

If you think that's stupid I had to do a whole semester learning about stretching then learning about how stretching doesn't help then learning how it might help but not a lot then learning how it really helps as long as it's specific to the exercise and now I'm confused

People over think this poo poo, try different approaches and whatever works for you, keep doing that thing. For me it's foam rolling, hurts like hell when I'm sore but the next day I feel like jello, and that's good enough for me.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I dunno about 10 of them, the ones I could still probably play and enjoy are Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Team Fortress 2. I sunk a bunch of hours into World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12, but don't have it in me to try any of them again. I just don't got time for this stuff any more, I need something I can play for 30 minutes before bed.

Edit: reread your list, should've included Xcom and Diablo 2 as still being fun.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Let's steer this is a more TFF chat direction, food chat! Got Chili Batch #1 assembled, now it needs to cook down for the next few hours while I assemble the chicken chili verde.

Chili update:

It'll be ready just in time for halftime, :getin:

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 6, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Alaois posted:

Ah yes, the perfect way to steer a discussion in a less volatile direction, bring up chili

I practice the Tao of Chili, there is no sense in fighting in the great bean wars, all ways lead to good food in the end. That or the chocolate dipped cannabis cookies I prepared are kicking in.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Athanatos posted:

Imma just pretend this means Titanfall 2 instead of what it actually means, and agree.

Early on it was goddamn fantastic, I stopped before hats really became a thing though so idk how all that went, I hear poorly.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Thaddius the Large posted:

Let's steer this is a more TFF chat direction, food chat! Got Chili Batch #1 assembled, now it needs to cook down for the next few hours while I assemble the chicken chili verde.

Chili update:

It'll be ready just in time for halftime

Edit: edit is not post, I'm super bad at both

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Our house came with a couple apple trees, a host of blackberry bushes, some cucumber vines, and some basil and parsley bushes, and unless they manage to thrive by themselves I'm drat near certain to kill them this growing season, I can't even keep a jar of bamboo alive.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
At least men and women can all unite in how purple nurples hurt equally.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

I cant afford to travel now i bought a house :(.

Should rent the fucker out and live in a cheap apartment insteas.

This guy gets it. The only vacations we go on now are the yearly pilgrimage to Mexico to visit the in-laws or camping trips. Fortunately camping is awesome, but it's the principle of the matter, I gave up backcountry ski trips in Alberta to build equity, whatever the gently caress that is.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

BlindSite posted:

Brunch is cool as hell if you're not driving. You can drink champagne and orange juice and eat your body weight in bacon and eggs. Then you have a nice buzz on that you can keep going with a couple of gentle arvo beers.

Hiking is also pretty cool. You get to see snakes, kangaroos and koalas and little turtles the size of dinner plates, once I even saw an echidna. The only bad thing about hiking is checking yourself for ticks when you get home and sometimes you're like 3km into a 6km trail and need to take a poo poo and a japanese family doing touristy stuff almost sees you squatting in the bush pushing out last nights dinner. A++ would hike again. Other poo poo thing is it's not fun in summer when it's like 35 degrees Celsius and 80% humidity

One of my mates met his wife at a petrol station.

The last time I went hiking in Australia I nearly stepped on a snake that was hanging out under some leaves, and by my napkin calculation of the number of venomous snakes down there it's a 97% chance the snake was deadly and about to kill me. Also huntsman spiders might not be deadly, but apparently they can jump when provoked, and a spider 6" in diameter flying toward you is super not cool. It'd be a really awesome country if it wasn't for the constant pants-making GBS threads terror of everything trying to kill you.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Really wish I wasn't phone posting so I could photoshop the goatse guy with 5 rings.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Big Jesus posted:

Guys Denver is fun I recommend going some time.

I was just there! The aquarium was nicer than expected, the zoo and butterfly house were rad too, got to see the baby gorilla which made it all worth it in my book. Good city to hit up if you're traveling with a toddler. We wanted to take her skiing, but both my dad and I are recovering from torn meniscuses (menisci?).

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chichevache posted:

Now that your daughter is walking I dread the upcoming post about her tearing a meniscus.

SHE WILL RESPECT OUR HERITAGE

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

So HUD loan = way lower down payment and in return you pay insurance on it?

I've no idea if this is different because I'm bad and dumb at finance, but we got an FHA loan which was amazing, instead of the usual 10-20% down payment we only had to put down 3.5%, and got an interest rate of 3.75% as well. The insurance in question does drive the mortgage payment up by an appreciable amount, but that's why my other piece of advice is to marry up.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Thanks for the house talk boys it's actually really appreciated. Just a weird time because I'm thinking about getting out of Boston for the summer/winter of 17-18 and heading back out west, maybe to Oregon. But also currently working for our family business which is by far my best chance as far as long term things go financially at least. Tiny violin and all that but just gotta decide what to do and at a poo poo or get off the pot time.

Portland's where we just bought our place last summer, prices are stupid expensive and certainly going up if you want to live anywhere cool/within 20 minutes of downtown, but if you don't mind outlying areas it's doable. We got an awesome place that's on the outskirts of town, but 5 minutes from the light rail, so my wife's commute to downtown winds up being about 45 minutes, which given our traffic situation and the distance to our home is quite reasonable.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

I am re-watching the Office on Netflix and I have come to the conclusion that Joe Philbin was the Michael Scott of NFL coaches. Makes me wonder what other coaches and sitcom personalities line up. Belichick is totally a Ron Swanson. Jim Tomsula should be suing Adult Swim for stealing his likeness as Carl.

I can definitely see Rex Ryan as Kenny Powers

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I just watched Black Hawk Down and now I'm watching Planet Earth 2. Oh ya!!

Jurassic Park is on Netflix streaming now, so I'm gonna get ripshit baked and watch it for the first time in like 15 years, gonna be good.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

I've probably seen JP over 100 times. I still adore it and get chill bumps during the t-Rex scene.

Some of the special effects are a touch dated, but they're used so well it never matters one bit, and holy poo poo this soundtrack is like mainlining being 9 years old, just fantastic stuff.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

No Irish Need Imply posted:

so uh what books are yall reading

Making my way back through my Discworld collection for the second time in the last couple of years, I'm almost finished with the City Guards line, then it'll be the Witches, finally the Death series. I just finished Nixonland and All The President's Men, and still have The Invisible Bridge to go, but between all that and real news, I needed to lighten things the hell up for a couple of weeks.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a patagonian cavy posted:

I'm the opposite, I always poop very loose. i think it's because like a third of my caloric intake is protein shakes these days

also a gigantic amount of coffee

This guy gets it, my morning constitution is like jello through a pressure washer.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Quiet Feet posted:

Like Nobby, for instance. I can't be the only one who's known someone who's kind of a terrible person but somehow also likeable.

It's the SA forums, yeah, I'm pretty sure every single person on here qualifies to some varying degree or another.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

Thanks for all the book suggestions, friends.

You guys with sleep problems intrigue me because I never have problems going to sleep.

do you all exercise on a regular basis?

Lift weights three times a week, used to also do sprint training once a week but the knee injury put running on hold until a couple weeks ago. Doesn't change that every so often I'll go through a phase where I wake up at roughly 3 am and be instantly wide awake, regardless of exhaustion. Drugs don't seem to do a whole lot about it, but weirdly audiobooks do, I'll just plug in headphones, throw on something boring, and it usually knocks me out within 20 minutes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

weird Asian candy posted:

It really does. It's boring as gently caress, it hurts my knees, calves and hamstrings cramp, long runs make my stomach ache to the point where I think I'm going to puke...loving gently caress running!

Try trail running maybe? I hate road stuff, but finding a nice nature area, or at the least a big park, makes it way more fun for me. The tricky part was finding a decent shoe, since I like the barefoot style ultra-lightweight running shoes (though not the finger toes, seriously gently caress people who wear them), but it needs a strong enough sole that the dirt path won't hurt you.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

weird Asian candy posted:

Hold the gently caress up...

Let it go dude, if we got all hopped up every time SA2K posted a controversial food take we'd never talk about anything else.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Y'all just need to find the right strain for different situations. There are a few high CBD low THC Sativas I like a lot for remaining cognitively functional while physically relaxed, which make for a productive time whether it be washing dishes or working out, very different from a high THC Indica which knocks me the gently caress out while making my way through MST3K's back library.

Edit: drat you autocorrect

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a neat cape posted:

Like, seriously. How do you smoke weed and not fall asleep instantly. Have I smoked indica weed every single time or what

It depends on a huge number of factors, indica, sativa, and hybrids are the major differentiations, but even amongst them there's huge variation on levels of cannabinoids (CBD and THC being the most often cited), they can impact everyone differently, and that's not even getting into how psychoactive substances can have radically different physical effect depending on setting, mood, etc. It's been my experience that some supposedly anti-anxiety strains trigger my anxiety like crazy, while others work wonders, so it's hugely subjective, and even reviews on Leafly or wherever won't be the end-all in describing effects. Ultimately it can take some tinkering to figure out what does what for you, but that's all assuming you want to put any time and effort into it, which is more than most people care to.

tldr: just smoke some weed and relax, or don't, whatever floats your boat

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

swickles posted:

What is really interesting (to me at least) is that since the legalization or widespread medicinal use, many growers are experimenting to create strands that target specific symptoms. On chemo and need something that will increase your appetite and reduce your nausea? Then you might want a different strain than someone who has insomnia or chronic pain. Marijuana has been in a literal catch 22, its schedule one which means it has no medical value and cannot be researched. In order to make it Schedule 2 (like cocaine) you have to provide some evidence of its medical necessity, but you can't do that because its schedule 1!

We could have been experimenting and synthesizing strains that do very specific things for years now, but have only started to scratch the surface. Its similar to stem cell research, thanks to the ban the US is basically a decade behind the rest of the world.

Hell, I love it too, it's nice to prove that my dicking around isn't entirely confirmation bias or based solely on the ramblings of whatever hippies I bump into at the local head shop/dispensary. I'm by no means an expert on this, I don't have nearly the palate nor tolerance (or free time for that matter) that others do for experimenting, but in my limited experience I've been able to find some strains that work better for me than others on obtaining different effects, be it the aforementioned anxiety management, sleep aid, or recreational relaxation.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The gym Planet Fitness picked on me. Apparently racking the smith machine too loudly is enough to trigger their Lunk Alarm. My membership lasted exactly 2 weeks, good times.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

Why would anyone choose to join that gym tho

It was $10 a month and I'm a social worker who was fresh out of college. Now I can free-ride off my wife's salary afford it thanks to my health plan paying for a membership to a real gym.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Probably Magic posted:

Me, I'm just high... on life. Really makes you think, doesn't it.

It does make me wonder how you survive the Titans every year, yes.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I'm quite jealous, my dog cowers at the sight of snow. Or heavy rain for that matter, which is a slight issue in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Thinking of buying season tickets to the local FCS team, they're usually not very good, but at $300 per seat per season to get into the first 20 rows at the 30 yard line (of which $160 is tax deductible) it's still really tempting.

• Locked thread