Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Middle of the defense is the weak spot for sure. Denzel Perryman is finally back from injury and he's the best linebacker we have. Really good run stopper. Other than that it's Korey Toomer, Chris McCain, and Jatavis Brown, who are all decent against the pass and really bad against the run

They've been playing a lot of nickle & dime against two pretty good running teams the last couple weeks, so that's been a part of it. Regardless of how the season plays out, the Chargers do really need to get a DT in the draft - they have some good rotational pieces (Philon's come on this year as the guy who does a lot of the dirty work at 3-tech) but Mebane is older and they might move on from Liuget this offseason. A stud DT in the first two rounds, with Bosa/Ingram next to him would be absolutely huge for this defense as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
What the gently caress was that last Alex Smith throw.

He airmailed it so hard that the only people that were gonna catch it were wearing green jerseys. Jesus christ

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'm picking the Raiders as being the hardest remaining game for the Chargers. Washington is badly banged up, the Chiefs look like they're more and more done by the week and nothing about the Jets scares me outside of their d-line. The Raiders aren't great like I thought they'd be this season, but it seems like they're finally getting into a rhythm of sorts, and at this rate that game is going to decide the division.

I seriously can't believe the Chargers have a shot to get into the playoffs after started 0-4 lol. This season's been loving wild.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Lmao Raiders.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I'm already hyped for Saturday

Same here. Chiefs have given the Chargers a bad time the last three years, but they're playing far better than they were when they met earlier in the season and they have the pass rush to rattle Smith into a bunch of mistakes. Their D has fallen off hard, beating up on a severely underperforming Raider team aside.

That being said the main thing that concerns me is the Chiefs getting back to their run game. The Chargers run a ton of dime sets with Adrian Phillips essentially as the other LB next to Perryman, and it's worked because they've forced the offenses they've faced to junk the run and throw it early and often. I just get the feeling teams that are disciplined and can run the ball inside are going to give the Chargers a lot of grief because they're mainly playing pass and our DTs aren't great against the run this season. If they get up early on the Chiefs like they have against everybody they've faced the last few weeks, then I think they'll come away with it because Smith has shown that he isn't the QB that can pull KC out of a jam like he did earlier this season. Not against a pass defense like what the Chargers have right now, anyway.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

And we cannot keep settling for field goals in the redzone.

This is key also. I do think that while the Chargers offense has made huge strides since the beginning of the season, they haven't really settled on whether they want to throw it or just try and cram it in on the ground. As good as they've been protecting Rivers this season, they've really struggled at run blocking for a lot of it also. Good news is that the Chiefs don't have much of a run defense so perhaps there's some opportunities for Gordon/Ekler to do some poo poo.

Flikken posted:

You know the most infuriating thing was you did not punt until the 4th quarter. gently caress Greg Williams.

I was kinda impressed by the Browns' defense in that game, honestly. They made the Chargers settle for FGs instead of TDs constantly in the red zone when even another TD would've resulted in them getting obliterated. Cleveland's d-line is really good.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Take heart: at least you might get Chucky back?

:lol: sorry man I got nothin' else

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I feel pretty good about where the Chargers are right now.

New coaching staff took a while to gel, but I think we'll be all right going forward. Rivers can still produce at a high level, Keenan Allen is great, Hunter Henry is gonna be fine, Melvin Gordon is passable, and the offensive line figures to get better with Feeney having more experience and adding in Forest Lamp.

Defensively we need a new SS and some help in the interior defensive line and outside linebackers.

And we do still need to think about the post Rivers era, but I don't see any reason why we can't compete next year and in 2019 with him.

Pretty much my thoughts on the team also. Outside of Rivers and Gates they're one of the youngest teams in the league (Gates is probably retiring anyway) and both the roster and coaching staff showed a ton of growth this season, especially after the rough start they had. I do think they need a stud DT and i'd agree on LB also. (i'd also say WR since Benjamin is gonna be leaving and insurance for whatever shakes out with Tyrell and Mike Williams wouldn't hurt) But they have a good future right now, especially once M. Williams and Lamp are fully healthy next season.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Reid's Eagles teams threw deep a lot late in the McNabb and Vick years, mostly 'cause he had Jackson and Maclin for both those guys to throw it too, and the Chiefs obviously don't lack for speed at the skill positions. So they'll probably do an updated version of what those Eagles teams did whenever Mahomes takes over.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

That from the '91 MNF game?

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Ah, I see.

Early 90's Chiefs had ridiculous defenses, especially when teams had to go to Arrowhead. I think the Bills only had the ball for like 15 minutes in that game because they couldn't move the ball on them at all.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
John Pagano is trash. Shame that Gruden had to go and replace him with an actual DC in Paul Guenther now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I think something will get done with Boston. He has flaws but he did a lot of good things for the Chargers last season and i'd like for him to come back. I do hope they give Gus a new contract; this is easily the best D the Chargers have had in a decade and they're a lot of fun to watch.

Funny thing about the division is that the Chiefs and Raiders have the same needs the Chargers do. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Chargers mostly just need a DT who can hold his ground against the run, basically. They could use another LB (and SS because Addae generally sucks) but DT is their biggest need because none of the guys on the roster can really hold up there. Mebane is old as hell and isn't long for the roster, Liuget is just ok at this point and Philon has been solid but he isn't quite there yet. Plus anybody that can give an interior pass rush makes Bosa/Ingram's lives easier.

They could use a brusier RB to finish off drives too, but that's asking for a bit much. They made big strides this season but still have some work to do.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Supposedly there's mutual interest between him and the Seahawks in reuniting, since he was only on a 1-year deal here. I really want the Chargers to work something out because they made huge strides on defense this year. My guess if they can't, Ron Milius (the DB coach) will take over as the DC. I don't know much, other than our CBs were pretty great last year without Verrett.

Melvin.. the thing with him is that he's a jack of all trades back who isn't great at any one thing. He's a capable runner who has an irritating habit of not hitting a hole decisively enough (in fairness, the Chargers' o-line wasn't very good at run blocking last year. That being said, there were opportunities to be had there if a more decisive back was present) and he's a very good receiver in space. He made some strides as a pass blocker last year but still has work to do. (KC absolutely worked him in blitz pickup during the game at Arrowhead) I'd say he's about as good of a player as Ryan Mathews was, basically - he's not as strong of a runner but he's better in the passing game and doesn't have as bad of a fumbling habit as Mathews did at times. Ekeler emerged as a good receiving back as well last year so a power guy who can grind out tough yards in the redzone and late in games would be ideal. The Chargers haven't really had anybody like that since Mike Tolbert left.

a neat cape posted:

I really really like Damion Square

Square's a nice rotational guy but i'm iffy on starting him for extended stretches. He has definitely done some good things for the Bolts in the past though.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm honestly at a loss of words as to why. Dumbest Defensive Coordinator I've seen since Greg Robinson.

Might also have to do with the fact that your whole coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball is getting turned over, with Nagy getting hired and Childress retiring. that's a lot of people leaving and then you have to go looking for a new DC?

I mean, Sutton sucks and has been bad for a while but I get wanting to keep the dude on in those circumstances.

Fuckin' A. That's fantastic news.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

If you're making drastic changes, might as well rip the whole loving band-aid off.

It's whatever because they aren't going to be a contender next year regardless, but still not much reason to keep a guy that owns 2 of the biggest playoff chokes of all time.

That's fair.

I wanted Whis gone earlier this year too but him and Lynn did some very solid adjustments to the offense over the course of the year and a lot of the communication issues that were plaguing them seemed to be largely ironed out by the end of it. I'm very glad Gus is back, more bearish on Whis but I don't think they're going to do much better at this point. So gently caress it.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Exactly.

The Chargers have a lot of young defensive talent that's either about to enter their primes or are hitting it right now, and so from a talent perspective there's not a lot of places better off than them currently. They have some holes as we've gone over, but they're also very close to becoming one of the most consistently stifling units in the league, which is far better than what most of us Charger fans have been able to say for years. It's a good situation to be in for the coaching staff.

I do think they need to do something to keep Ron Milius around - he's our DB coach and did extremely impressive work with the backfield last year. Casey Heyward is one of the best CBs in football and Trevor Williams went from being undrafted to a legit starting caliber corner. Dez King really flashed a bunch as a nickle as well.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'd agree with Pron that the Chiefs just need front 7 help any way they can get it. Draft, FA, whatever. Peters is a stud and while the rest of the secondary isn't top shelf, i'd wager they would look a lot better with a front that could actually get after the QB and stop the run. Berry is also coming back from injury and that also helps a ton.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Cousins is a big upgrade to anybody the Broncos have on the roster and frankly, whoever they'd draft because Elway's acumen at drafting QBs is.. not great. That being said, I dunno how much of one - the rest of the Broncos' offense is still a mess. It's hard to say until after FA/the draft though.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
It's not a very good move unless Peters is just an intolerable rear end in a top hat to be around in the locker room. I can tell as a Chargers fan that he's pretty much owned Rivers drat near every time they've played the Chiefs since he was drafted AND that defense isn't very good right now. They need all the help they can get. It's a really weird move in general.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
7.5 mil a year with probably an out after this year.

I'm tentatively ok with it. It doesn't thrill me because his play looks like it's trending down, but he's still an upgrade over Pulley and gives them a sure starter on a line that's looking somewhat thin right now.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

humpadoor posted:

I feel like even at 80%, he could be an upgrade from Pulley. If Lamp and Feeney pan out, the IOL will be really interesting to watch.

Yup.

Pulley started off well last year but he tailed off. I remember when they were playing Jacksonville, Marcel Dareus was basically forklifting him all over the place, and he really struggled against the Chiefs at Arrowhead. He's basically a very good backup caliber player who can fill in at C and RG for sure but he struggled quite a bit toward the end of the year. He's still a useful player to keep around though.

I'm thinking that the Chargers want to groom Dan Feeney to be the starting Center within the next couple of years - the Patriots were reportedly interested in drafting him to play that position, but the Chargers nicked him right before they could make their pick - and in the meantime they can keep starting him at LG next to Pouncey. Either way the Chargers interior O-line should be a fair bit better this upcoming season because Pouncey is a better player than Pulley and Lamp theoretically has a much higher ceiling than what Kenny Wiggins offered. It's hard to say until we get there though.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I have a really hard time seeing an Andy Reid team lose more than 8 games tbh, on general principle. I'm thinking it's actually gonna be a pretty similar finish to last year: great offense that puts up a lot of points, horrendous D that actively costs them games, with greater extremes toward either end. 10-6, another wild card berth. Whether that's enough to outright win the West again is a different story.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I heard this on a Chargers fan stream that happened during the draft, so take it with a grain of salt. But apparently the scuttlebutt is that Elway's gunshy about drafting another QB high after Lynch and the Broncos are gonna keep giving Lynch chances to compete for the job and not suck. I don't know if I really buy that (because I do think Rudolph to Denver is a possibility in the second if somebody doesn't trade up), but it's a possibility

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Gunther's a better DC than what they've had in a while, but yeah the Raiders' LBs outside of Mack are hot trash. Good thing they don't compete in a division with a couple of teams with good receiving backs and TEs... oh.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Black Sunshine posted:

Look man, at least the Chiefs had cool and good players like Joe Delaney and Montana, Neil Smith, Derrick Thomas , Christian Okoye and however painful it may be, Marcus loving Allen my goddamn childhood hero. poo poo, they even basically gave us Gannon.

Denver had Elway. A player so vile that KC couldn't even hope to have a player so universally hated amongst fans of the sport so you're objectively wrong as hell.

gently caress Denver until the goddamn universe collapses into itself and gently caress them for a thousand millennia afterward just to be sure

Elway wasn't even the best QB from the '83 draft too

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
If his head is on straight, then he's a good player who still has quite a bit of untapped potential. I really wanted the Chargers to trade for him last year.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

See what Andy did with Kevin Kolb if you'd like to know.

Kolb would've been pretty ok in Arizona if he didn't throw behind the worst o-line ever. Even the 2012 Chargers had a better one than that sorry mess.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I was pissed when he was waiting to get into the hall and I have absolutely no love for the Raiders.

In a way his career is even more impressive if you think of what he might have done on offense if Al didn't force him to keep returning punts for like 15 seasons or however long it was. A man's gotta rest a little.

He also blew out his knee his second season, back when that was about a career ender and basically reinvented himself on the fly as well. Tim Brown is really underrated as far as all-time great WRs go.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
McFadden and Michael Bush were a pretty good tandem for a couple years when either of them were healthy. I remember the Raiders ran for something like 250 yards or some poo poo against the Chargers in 2010 (i'm pretty sure it was in SD because I distinctly remember they were wearing the powder blues that game) and held onto the ball for almost 40 minutes or something like that.

I remember somebody on here years back compared McFadden to Freeman McNeil and it always seemed like a pretty apt comparison - both were very good players when they were respectively healthy but both also spend a lot of their career battling injuries.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I've hated Miller ever since he tried choking out Rivers in 2015 in SD and they just let it happen, gently caress that dude and his whole setup

Grittybeard posted:

Game 1 of 2016 might have been a new low for your personal hell of Charger's game ones against Kansas City. Which is actually pretty impressive considering.

That was just purestrain Mike McCoy Coaching Not To Lose Baby (TM) as much as anything else.

Also the Chargers have always had huge problems against any QB with a shred of mobility or athleticism, and if nothing else about ol Alex, you can say that was he was always pretty mobile even if he used it to stumble face first into a defender or whatever.

EDIT: "Worst day ever" was the loss on MNF back in 2011.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, it really sucks for Verrett that poo poo didn't work out. You could tell he could've been a very good CB in 2015 when he was actually healthy, it's just that the dude was always brittle going back to college. Sometimes poo poo just doesn't work out, it happens.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Attaochu looked like he was gonna turn into a solid pass rusher at some point. He was one of the relative few bright spots on the 2015 team. For whatever reason he dropped off a cliff after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

LiquidFriend posted:

At least with Danario, there was no way you could have expected anything else from the get go.

I suspected that was how it was gonna go with Verrett too because he was pretty banged in college a lot of the time as well.

• Locked thread