Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

He was legitimately good for five weeks? Like there's no real arguing that.

He regressed to his mean real loving hard though.

Yeah I still can't figure out what happened with Smith. I've always respected him because he hangs in there and despite having average skills as far as the league goes he manages to make things happen often. I mean at the beginning of the season he looked loving brilliant. Plus he seems like a cool humble player. Does charity poo poo and serves as a mentor for Mahomes.

I'm not a Chiefs fan or anything but I'm sad that his veteran comeback has completely stalled. I'm totally puzzled as to what's broken though. My best guess is the offensive line, Smith's psyche, and small receivers but who knows.

I don't think Mahomes is the secret for this season. Rabid fans always say that poo poo. Take a look at him in the preseason.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000828970/Every-Patrick-Mahomes-play-from-Preseason-Week-1

He completes a few screen passes, throws several really bad passes, he does throw a touchdown but on a pretty risky ball. Definitely not enough there for me to say for sure that he can compete in the NFL and win.

If he can, I think I'd wait for next season when he'll already have the entire offseason to train as the number 1 QB. I really don't think he's some saving grace, and putting rookie quarterbacks in for experienced ones has typically backfired massively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

At the same time, that article posted earlier makes some pretty good points, mainly that Mahomes is much stronger than Smith against the problems the chiefs are currently having on offense

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/11/26/16702708/what-the-chiefs-should-do-with-alex-smith-and-patrick-mahomes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

First, maaayyybe don't use Mahomes first NFL action ever in a preseason game to judge him and I won't use that one curve ball throw to deem him an X-Men candidate.

If you're puzzled what is wrong with the Chiefs offense you can't really turn around and say you know Mahomes won't help. I'm not puzzled what is wrong in the slightest and Mahomes will absolutely help those things.

However he'll bring new problems and I just don't know what those are.

Yeah I said in the next post that there are convincing rationales why Mahomes might solve some of the problems. However as far as trying to see if Mahomes can be successful in the NFL, what the hell else am I suppose to use but his only actual NFL game film? College film really doesn't mean a thing.

Honestly I think it's a tough decision that could easily go wrong with either choice. Alex could get it figured out and lead the Chiefs to the playoffs at least, or he could keep bombing. Mahomes could be totally overwhelmed with an offense that isn't functioning that well to begin with, or he could even be hurt which would be a huge disaster. Or he could perform brilliantly. It's one of those choices you just gotta make and then pray

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dangerllama posted:

There’s a strong possibility my Broncos season ticket number finally gets called this offseason.

:smithicide:

Hahaha. Out of morbid curiosity how long have you been waiting?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

piss tape israel posted:

Yeah, if the Broncos somehow win out, Vance might earn himself one more season. And maybe he'll actually improve as a head coach

And maybe I'll start making GBS threads gold and pissing rainbows

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm so loving sick of crabtree. I seriously do not want him on my TV next season, especially not with the Raiders. He's slow and he drops passes constantly. His attitude is lame, too. I honestly don't see what he brings to the table that hundreds of other guys couldn't. The Raiders need someone quick and dangerous in the open field, oh, and also someone who catches the majority of their passes. To me it seems like they could do better with even the guys on the roster, then toss in free agency and the draft and crabs gotta go

Play
Apr 25, 2006

warcrimes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcWOy9Nszm4

After Crabs and Cooper, the WRs are poo poo.

Is this supposed to show that Crabtree is a good receiver? It was a clutch play so that's great but it's nothing special. See if you can find a catch from this past season that makes you say "wow". I would argue that most receivers in the NFL could've made a catch like that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000762724/Michael-Crabtree-s-drop-issues-continue

Look at that loving drop. He's way too much of a veteran to drop a pass like that and fail to get the first down.

Crab has 44.1 yards per game which puts him at 56th this past season. His catch percentage was 57.4 which puts him at 31st out of 150. For a number one WR that's really not good. (note: Amari Cooper is third which makes the whole thing worse).

I don't think he's really bad, I just think there are hundreds of guys out there that could do a better job, and the vast majority for less money. I just don't think he really helps the Raiders win in any meaningful sense. And I don't think he's going to get any better from here. He had 683 yards this past season compared to over 1k last season.

Play fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack Del Huevos posted:

Crabtree is a headcase and when poo poo goes south, so does his play. I think a new regime may help plus he's on a cap friendly deal. Ideally they attempt to bring in Allen Robinson or Paul Richardson and kick Seth Roberts' rear end out the door.

I didn't watch every game in full, I wouldn't even call myself an exclusive Raiders fan. However, I grew up near Oakland and now I live in Las Vegas so I guess if I "have" any team it'd have to be them or the 49ers.

Maybe you guys are right in the context of the Raiders. I'm just really sick of that receiver corps in general and to me Crabtree was the face of that. He doesn't seem to play like a number on receiver, but it's true that the other guys around him are all worse as far as I can tell. They badly need work in that area, but maybe it's right to keep Crabtree and get rid of someone else or multiple people. But I think Crabtree would work better as a number 2 receiver, his hands aren't good enough and he's not fast enough or large enough to do an elite job at that position which is what you need these days. You look at what the Eagles, Vikings and Saints accomplished in terms of receiving this past season and have to realize that the Raiders are so incredibly far behind it isn't even funny.

On the bad side, it's not like star receivers are just floating around out there waiting to be invited in. Free agency doesn't look like it's gonna be great this year for wideouts or slot, and I don't know much about the draft and how many decent receivers might be available in the middle and late rounds.

I did like how Jared Cook played, he had some good games.

Regarding Marcus Peters, I think everyone was pretty surprised at that. Sure, his attitude seems immature and he's caused tons of problems on that front (he must've caused a LOT more issues that no one heard about to get this to happen) but that secondary is really not that great except for him. They had Darelle Reevis playing for them this year which seemed a bit desperate. I'm not sure how they're planning to address that weakness in the secondary but I hope they do have a plan! The issue is that they have plenty of other positions, mostly on defense to fill as well.

I guess they figured that the controversy and low morale Peters engendered just wasn't worth it, hopefully they're right.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

His strips are baller too. He knows how to take that thing away both by interceptions and takeaways which like someone mentioned can be such a huge momentum changer. I wonder where he's gonna end up.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hey man the Raiders had the highest dropped pass totals in the league and Crabtree was a big part of that. Not to mention he's kind of slow and usually not very good after the catch. As the number one receiver on a team he underperforms, and despite people telling me I'm wrong I haven't heard anything that goes against that besides one video a dude put up of Crabs catching that last pass on the bizarre ending to the Chiefs Raiders game.

Maybe I hyperbolized a bit much and probably blamed him more than is fair for a totally poo poo receiving corps but with him as the primary receiver I don't think the Raiders are going to go very far. I'm not the only one thinking that too, the old coaching staff looked poised to get rid of him before they were gotten rid of.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Black Sunshine posted:

Cooper is supposed to be the #1 and Crabs is the possession receiver so stop citing "not fast as gently caress" as a negative. Also you forget that the "totally poo poo receiving core" balled the gently caress out 2 years ago.

Also, lol Chiefs

Possession receivers can and should be quick, what are you talking about. Yes, being slow is a negative. I'm not sure how you could possibly think otherwise. I agree I've been too hard on Crabtree, I'd like to see the guy succeed along with the team. I do think he needs to perform better for that to happen.

I remember two years ago, seems long a long time in the past. All I'm saying is that offense needs more juice and that at least is undeniable. In 2017 they lead the NFL in drops and air yards left on the field, for gods sake this isn't coming from nowhere. https://www.silverandblackpride.com...they-break-down

Gruden just called Cooper "the centerpiece of the offense" in a press conference. Granted, he hasn't actually started coaching yet due to some strange rules I don't understand but I don't love the sound of that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Case would be fine as a bridge if I trusted Elway to pick a QB worth a drat in the draft. Unfortunately I've got some real big concerns about the drafting part of things!

I would be stoked to see Case in Denver. In fact, I think that would be a great choice. I agree about the draft, Elway recently stated that he will keep swinging and missing on QBs "as long as necessary" which doesn't inspire a huge amount of confidence.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That picture is really really good.

Lynch makes sense because as people have noted he put up some good numbers in the latter half of the season, hopefully Gruden can make sure he starts out right this time because the rumor was apparently that he was badly out of shape to start the season.

I was wrong about Crabtree, I projected my issues with the entire offense onto him. Sorry Michael.

With Cooper.. yeah he's a weapon but what's with the drops? Is that something that can be fixed? That hasn't worked much in the past, people can either catch the ball naturally or they can't. To me, the idea of that offense as exactly the same as last season is not a winning formula. Seems kind of obvious that they should shake it up a bit in FA/trades given the performance last season. Their performance the season before that doesn't really mean anything.

In other news, the Broncos just traded Aqib Talib to the Rams for a 5th round pick lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

warcrimes posted:

The plan last year with Lynch was to use him lightly at the beginning of the season then workhorse him late. What happened with the offense in 2016 DOES matter as it shows this can be a prolific offense and it actually has more weapons now. Unless Gruden decides to dump Lynch and Crabtree, not many tweaks need to be made. Replace Seth Roberts and this is a deep slot WR draft and the Raiders have 11 picks. Coop also only had three drops in '16.

The defense is going to need DBs and D-linemen. Re-sign Bowman please although this is a solid, if top heavy, LB draft.

I hope you're right and they can get back in 2016 form but I'll believe it when I see it. Oftentimes when a player starts regressing they don't stop. Right now the most recent evidence is that the offense is not good enough to win consistently and so it needs to be adjusted.

A good slot receiver in the draft would definitely go a long way. And if Gruden can really lay the heat on Carr (because he had a really poor season as well) and get him back in form then they have a chance.

Croatoan posted:

While I am happy this frees up a lot of salary cap, just a fifth round draft pick seems pretty lame for Talib. Please let us not be a dumpster fire for another year.

Yeah they had to do it but they got absolutely swindled. I honestly can't believe that he went for such a low price. There's a 20% chance that a fifth round pick won't even be on a team at the start of their first season; that compared to an extremely talented player a bit past his prime but still playing real solid football? I guess I'm just surprised another team didn't offer more, maybe throw in another player or something.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I love some of Mahomes' play in that final game last season, very unique, made some great throws. But he still has a lot of the problems he had in college. Awkward footwork, lack of fluidity, not a great deep ball. He also did that weird thing where he runs backwards about 20 yards away from pressure. In that case he made the throw and it was really cool but I think more often that kind of thing will lead to interceptions or sacks for massive loss. In fact I have a feeling he's gonna throw a lot of interceptions his first year.

But ya know, I feel the same way. For the Chiefs its Mahomes all the way and even if his first season doesn't go super great, if he's gotten better and isn't injured at the end of the season I'd call that a big victory.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

His awkward footwork doesn’t lead to inaccurate throws as far as I can tell which is what makes his arm talent so unique. He seems to have a multitude of release points that he can accurately fire from.

I’m not sure what makes everyone think interceptions are coming considering he didn’t have a problem with them in college. 591 attempts and 10 picks is excellent. Of course NFL defenses are different than college but what makes him more susceptible? His accuracy practically improves on the run as well, he quickly reads defenses and always has his eyes upfield. I think he’s going to be a star to be honest and clearly so do the Chiefs.

I have no idea why you think lack of a great deep ball, that’s just a strange thing to say.

I only said lack of deep ball because that's what I saw in college, overthrows and underthrows on the majority of deep balls. I do think that he'll throw more interceptions in the NFL than in college because that's what happens a lot with guys who make a lot of unsafe throws. He is actually really good on the run but in the NFL those throws become hard mode. If you watch his college tape there are a lot of missed interceptions that won't be missed in the NFL.

I do think he will be really good, but I don't think he'll be revolutionary in his first year. I'd be surprised if he puts up higher numbers than Smith last season but I'm totally willing to be pleasantly surprised.

e: also the Raiders interested in Jordy Nelson, lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

If he does stay healthy next season it will be totally worth it. Hell, even playing the majority of games would be fine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Broncos scored to get Chubb. Raiders... I'm so disappointed in what happened with the Raiders today. Kolton (wtf is that name btw) must be a real gruden grinder or some poo poo

e: forgot about the chargers. Tied with Broncos for the biggest winners in the division, probably did better overall because they spent a much later pick for a top 4 prospect

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Doesn't help that Denver has a QB problem

Denver had a QB problem when they won the super bowl. I like the fact that they're getting back to their roots and I think Case is a good option for next season with the state of their o line. Also Elway has proven that he can't draft QBs so why not see what free agency looks like next year?

Overall, uncharacteristically smart move from Elway. Get a few missing pieces together and that defense could be great again.

The Gobbledygooker posted:

I'm excited for the Raiders to take a new punter who fits the "paper bag test" today

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Peters was probably sick of teams running the ball hard on them while he was doing his job for longer than he should've had to. Every time that defense went to nickel you knew a big run was coming, especially on third down. It was amazing they held together for as long as they did when it seemed like Reid only cared about offense. That collapse against the Titans was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever witnessed. Who would want to be on that defense? At least they are trying to fix it though.

I think Mahomes is going to be fine but the Chargers are the much more complete team and are set to dominate this division next year. If Rivers is still on his game like last season the Chargers are almost undoubtedly going to the playoffs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Why not Bowman

Why not

too young and inexperienced; also doesn't fit the culture

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'll place my bet on 1999 then, that seems like the safe option

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Just bring back Antonio Gates. I know he's old and slow but he really didn't perform all that badly last season, especially in the red zone. Sure he's not gonna bust anything big but he'll catch the drat ball basically every drat time and knows how to get the first down

a neat cape posted:

They'll just be running more 3-4 WR sets I assume. Instead of having Keenan, Henry, Tyrell Williams, and Mike Williams on the field, you'll have Keenan, Tyrell Williams, Mike Williams, and Travis Benjamin.

Sprinkle in some Virgil Green, two back sets with Austin Ekler... It's a heavy blow but I think the Charger offense will be fine.

and then this too

Still just on a human level I'm bummed for him and his teammates

Play
Apr 25, 2006

incompetent posted:

i like it because pretty colors, but what was the point of making this?

If you really don't know, the point of making that is to drive excitement and ticket sales for next season.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

At least his college uniform is a pretty shade of blue

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm just gonna post this periodically

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That's what happens when your daily meals are ten big macs and a bucket full of HGH

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Even Gruden can recognize absolute trash with no redeeming qualities and no hope of success when he sees it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mahomos lol I like it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

To me this division has a bit of mystery, especially when it comes to the Raiders, Chiefs and Broncos. Nobody really knows how good those three teams are going to be, although to me the Raiders look like the worst team in the division but that could be deceptive. The Chargers are going to win the division barring something extraordinary but one of the other teams could sneak a wildcard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not prepared to say anything either way on the Chiefs because we know basically nothing about Mahomes' game and also can't tell if the defense will function well. Tons of amazing players there though, especially on offense but when the entire thing is based on an essentially rookie quarterback, who loving knows man

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think the Chiefs will do just fine on offense, it's the defense mainly that concerns a bit. But it's especially hard to evaluate defenses in the offseason

a neat cape posted:

I can't wait for week 1

Hell I'm all charged up for the Hall of Fame game. Which is essentially a preseason game between the Ravens and the Bears lmao. Still I'm excited

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The one thing this division does better than any other is rush the passer.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mahomes gifs all day every day

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I guess I'm the only one who's sad about that Jason Verett news. He was really a special talent and it sucks that it didn't work out

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know if it's like this in every camp but 'carted off the field' often means nothing for the Chiefs. I mean it's not good but it could be someone tweaked their ankle very slightly and it's no problem but the training facilities are so far away from the practice field that everyone who gets anything gets a cart ride over there.

Well for sure "carted off the field" isn't a medical diagnosis and doesn't really mean anything. But when they use that phrase it should be saying that they hurt themselves and never got up at all, so you would need to be lifted/helped into the cart. As opposed to someone who's injured but still ambulatory where usually they'll at least be able to get to the sidelines before they get in the cart, or at least put themselves into the cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

I only mention it because it seems like it kept coming up for years.

I remember some lineman sprained a finger one year that they wanted to check out to make sure it wasn't broken, which ended up with fans in a small panic for a day because it was reported as the guy being carted off.

Yeah I think you're right in that it's constantly used in a meaningless way. It should only be used when the player clearly can't get off the field themselves, not when they're just a hitching a ride to the medical tent

• Locked thread