Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Tormentum: Dark Sorrow is a super serious point and click/puzzle game made by a Polish three man team who call themselves OhNoo Studios. It's incredibly good game in it's own right and totally not an excuse to show of the works of their artists you guys. This will be an SSLP, for reasons that you have probably already noticed in the above picture. I will try to have two updates a week. It's not a super long game, but there are a LOT of visuals to show off

Jokes aside, this game features some of the most carefully constructed visuals of any game I've ever seen, and is clearly a labour of love. The aesthetics are inspired by Giger and Beksiski, and the whole game has a distinctive Iron Maiden cover art feel to it. The game was crowdfunded successfully, and released in march 2015.

While it looks great, the game however is easy. Almost embarrassingly easy. Even if you don't know what you are doing you can still get through most of the puzzles by random chance, and every item you need glows.

PARTICIPATION: There is a binary moral choice system at certain parts of the game, which will be decided by thread vote. Like the puzzles, these are pretty easy, but I will go with the votes, even if you all just want to be dicks. If you know a lot about visual art then please feel free to comment on these matters in depth too. I really like the art in this game, but know very little about it in general.

SPOILERS: Use tags please. There isn't a whole lot to really spoil apart from like two bits though.

Hope you enjoy this game, and the ridiculous amount of effort that went into making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 5, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I loved the art style in this game, but yeah, it's disappointingly easy, I finished it in about an hour. And I had no idea about the moral choices, so I got the worst ending without even knowing about it (not that the 'good' ending is all that much better)

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
At first glance I get a very Shadowgate 64 kind of feeling from this game.

Late 90's dark fantasy aesthetic wasn't really my taste, but I can see that between things like our black knight jailer buddy and the various-degrees-of-wrong skeletons, there are some interesting visuals here.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The ending(s) of this game are hot garbage and most of the puzzles are on the easy side, but good god if the art isn't some of the best I've seen in a game. That alone makes it very much worth experiencing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I'm surprised the end was such a sticking point, but then again I approached this game more like a gallery. the bad ending is unintentionally pretty funny

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this is album cover as gently caress.

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
I had fun with this game, but it was kind of easy. Great visuals though. Some of the puzzles are just tedious, but I think that just depends on preferences. Ended up being a horrible person, because of fiddling around with dials.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Generous of the Juggalo Jester to give us a knife that's also a key. It's like the moral choices in this game are heavily telegraphed, or something.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

RandallODim posted:

Generous of the Juggalo Jester to give us a knife that's also a key. It's like the moral choices in this game are heavily telegraphed, or something.

From memory there is one in the entire game with any nuance.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zenithe posted:

From memory there is one in the entire game with any nuance.

Pre-emptively voting to kill the lady with the key end.

E: Real talk though, I assume there isn't an option to just shank the clown the moment he gives us the knife? If we're gonna be lazily violent it might as well be teaching a man not to hand knives out to every escapee he encounters and assume they'll just do what he says.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Most of the choices boil down to 'quick and unfortunately lethal' or 'slightly more involved, but someone gets to live'. Though one of the upcoming puzzles, I didn't even realise it was possible to do in an alternate way at first.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

First moral choice at the end of this episode. Vote and we'll see if goons make good life choices.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Right, of course. Let's be Not A Pointless Dick, shall we?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It looks like... left will hook the dark knight instead of his victim?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Glazius posted:

It looks like... left will hook the dark knight instead of his victim?

It will push the blades all the way through the victim and the knight. Not good for the victim.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

RandallODim posted:

E: Real talk though, I assume there isn't an option to just shank the clown the moment he gives us the knife? If we're gonna be lazily violent it might as well be teaching a man not to hand knives out to every escapee he encounters and assume they'll just do what he says.

I tried, and he just goes "hey, why aren't you killing that person like I asked", same as when you try and give him any other item.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 24, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Zenithe posted:

I tried, and he just goes "hey, why aren't you killing that person like I asked", same as when you try and give him any other item.

This is a serious disappointment for me and to cope I'm now going to only vote for pacifist choices, so right.

Also, I like the 'withered praying hands' stationary parchment the castle owner uses.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Left.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Right. Because spider pirates, you guys. SPIDER PIRATES!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Left because I want to see just how dumb a no-kills run gets.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Left. What if that spider eats us? :ohdear:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Slight slowing of updates for a bit while I move house, sorry guys.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
No problem, gotta take care of life stuff first before LPs. We'll still be around when you get back. :)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Key, this lady seems on the up and up. Plus she hates that Jester, so she's okay in my book.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Key, please.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. You know, whenever somebody says "you dare not" that just makes me want to dare more. IT'S STABS O'CLOCK!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Key. I bet she could help us out later.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, let him drop. He's got a nice dead worm to land on and probably strip for parts. He'll live like a king! Probably not a rat king, though.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Free him. Because really, murder for shits and giggles is just lame.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Free him, no rat ever called me corrupt.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Why the gently caress would we even want to kill this rat? What, as they say, would be our motivation? God, this game's choice system is as awful as the art is great.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Free him. He's been helpful so far and he could be in the future.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh! I'd half-expected this game to just be the tower, but it looks like there's more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
This is a neat looking game.

• Locked thread