Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Milky Moor posted:

I think this is all compounded by the wargoal system (which is both awesome and annoying at the same time) and the way war is a blob VS blob situation. I do wonder how Stellaris combat would be if you had less ships, they could do more, were more important, and designs mattered more. On some level, it is a little strange that all your ships have individual names, like inviting them to get history, perks or little stories, but they're just going to burn down out in the void of space without fanfare.

Have you tried the Star Trek mod? It does almost exactly that, makes individual ships way more expensive and brings the naval capacity way down. I haven't really played much of it (felt just a tad too work-in-progress last time I tried it), but I've heard good things about it on that very topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aethernet posted:

All the stuff about testing weapon effectiveness - bear in mind that these tests take place in an idealised environment in which fleets approach each other across a system. Short-range weapons like autocannons have a role if you're on the defensive and can trap a fleet into jumping on top of you.

Arguably this might be the more common type of engagement anyway. If the AI thinks it could lose an engagement it will often try to retreat, which then leads to you jumping in on top of the AI to catch them even if you wanted ideally to do a long range engagement, and vice versa if you're retreating and get caught by them.

Maybe that's just my playstyle, but point blank engagements are definitely the norm for me.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Playing rogue servitors for the first time, I took the unity perk which converts organic sanctuaries to organic paradises. Then I invaded a primitive world, but all their pops were shoved into sanctuaries instead of paradises? Is this a bug?

EDIT: Turns out if you move the pops they switch to paradises

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 29, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Dunno if anyone remembers the old goon species pack GryphGlyph made, but I finally got around to updating the submod that was created for my Arks of Humanity submissions:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1237809954

For those who missed the familiar faces stuff, Arks of Humanity was a pack that filled in stories for the other Arks from the Ulysses initiative which launched the ship that became the Commonwealth of Man. Adds (in brief) a communist state, a theocracy, a megacorporation, a feudal empire, and a hive mind.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Soup du Jour posted:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/944269351179440128

Tomb World starts confirmed! Kinda hoping it’s a start-locked civic.

I know it's been suggested by others before, but I wish there was a seperate category from civics called something like "origins" to contain the civics which are unchangeable, with everyone getting one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fututor Magnus posted:

what are some of your longest running games?

and does anyone have any empires you made with backstory etc.? i'm bored of the generic generated empires, at least in paradox's historical grand strats you have real history to give character to the states you play as and with.

We used to have a goon-made mod with loads of our custom empires complete with backstories, but it hasn't been updated in forever. I did recently update my own submissions (five Human empires based on the other Arks from the Ulysses Initiative which spawned the Commonwealth of Man) to work with the current version of Stellaris, which you can get here.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

If we're talking UI streamlining, a better way to upgrade planet facilities would be nice. A toggleable auto-upgrade button or something. Turn it off if you need to build up resources for ships or whatever but otherwise facilities automatically upgrade.

I'm not like CLICKS R BAD but the manual upgrading system is pointless, there is no situation where you don't want to upgrade so it's just a bunch of busywork.

I agree an auto-upgrade for the mid to late game would be great, but in the early game you definitely don't want to be upgrading your facilities unless you've tapped out all the space resources of that type in your borders, as minerals spent on a mining or research station always yield more than a building upgrade.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nevets posted:

If you define victory as being in a position where you don't have to worry about any another empires negatively impacting your's then you either have to be Space Rome or Space NATO, which are the two victory conditions already in the game. There would need to be alot of work done to add a tech or unity victory that would have visible progress to other empires and allow for some kind of response, especially from pacifist empires.

That's only really necessary for exclusive victory states, where you lose if another player wins. You can avoid that simply by not presenting a defeat screen when another player would see a victory screen. If an ascension victory for psionics, for example, involved the empire ascending to a higher plane of existence, you could model that by showing the other players a defeat screen (and they'd then need to have the means to do stuff about it to avoid seeing the screen), but equally you could model that by just having the empire's pops vanish and an event fire advising the player that the people of the Empire of Someplace has ascended the material realm. Such a system would make another empire's "victory" a part of the flow of the game, rather than a defeat for the other players.

Not that I'm saying such a thing wouldn't still require a fair bit of work, just that victory conditions don't have to be inherently adversarial, and therefore don't have to have mechanics that focus on stopping your opponents achieving those goals.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aethernet posted:

The Galleon was just a fat ship in a random system that did nothing, though. I think this week's dev diary is about piracy, so we might learn more then.

I hope it works like Wiz's Historically Accurate Pirates Mod for Europa Universallis 3.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

turn off the TV posted:

I'd actually like to see a system where only a small number of stars are ever actually connected to the hyperlane/wormhole/gate network. Only stars that are currently accessible from your homeworld are shown as being part of the hyperlane network, with those clusters bridged to by wormholes or gates being identical to to totally inaccessible stars until whatever connecting wormhole is charted or gate activated.

One of the things I really loved about Mass Effect was the fact that everything outside of relay network was basically unknown and uncharted territory. There could have been (and definitely were) hostile aliens right at the doorstep of the various Council races that they never had contact with simply because those systems weren't accessible through the relays.

Maybe I'm misundertanding what you mean here, but I assumed the idea that only a small number of stars are connected to the network is implicit in the way that there's only a maximum of 10000 stars in a hyperlane network when a galaxy actually has 250 billion or so.

EDIT: dropped a few zeros

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 16, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

nnnotime posted:

* Can you tell enough from enemy reports or espionage how to plan your ship building and tactics properly? I don't want to be running for a 100 turns and find out all my ships built would be easily shredded by the stock Enemy AI builds, since I wasn't aware of what tech or builds to counter with;

You usually can't, but there are two ways around that, build generalist ships, or retrofit your ships once you know what your enemy has.

quote:

* How many turns much gametime does it take to get into a game whether you realized you have lost or not? Perhaps that question is somewhat trite, as I have read there is a "tall" strategy where you can attempt to win the game by just operating from a single planet;

The single planet strategy is a bit of an advanced play, it involves staying small to blast through the tech tree before exploding out once you're way ahead. You're really going to want to go for a standard wider play in your early games. Once you have a decent grasp of the game almost any start is winnable on the default difficulties, but as long as you start in an area where you're not completely penned in (or adjacent to an extremely hostile advanced neighbour or xenophobic fallen empire) you'll do OK. You might get crushed by the end-game crisis in your first few games if you get unlucky with where they spawn.

quote:

* If you stop playing for a week or two is it fairly simple to get back up to speed on your Empire's status in a few minutes?

I'd say so. As your empire grows you'll be putting planets into sectors and leaving them for the AI to automate running so you're only personally controlling your few core planets and the military while handling the science stuff

quote:

* For mods, can I have the game use replacement shipsets for all Alien races for a particular game if I don't want to use the stock ships? Just a hypothetical question.
In the original MOO and MOO2 games I would randomize all the starting empires colors and ship-hulls, which made the game feel different each time. Like having the Sakkras use the Psilon ship hulls. I was disappointed the new MOO:CTS did not have that feature (since it feature that could have been added at almost no cost).

Not sure (I mean, in principle yes, since you could edit a mod to overwrite the vanilla ships, but I'm not sure any ship mods do that by default), but since most of the time the empires themselves are random and of random colours I think that might capture what you're after.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Night Shade posted:

Even then, unless your empire is locked out of diplomacy or xenophobic/repugnant you can usually bribe your way into some defensive pacts before any wars start.

True, but when you're still learning the game a start like that is more likely than not going to gently caress you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Long ago, someone on these forums made a custom empire and backstory about a hive mind that evolved from a single humanoid female. Tradition would fit that well, especially if she kept celebrating Christmas or her birthday or whatever for no real reason.

That's a good idea, if it's a 1 pointer I can slot that in in place of the normal human trait of nomadic since they disabled using nomadic with hive minds.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

I'm also committed to having the mod updated to 2.0 within a day or two of next week's release.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Bramble posted:

Am I mistaken, or is there no way to read an empire's biography once you're in-game? Yours or others?

If you go to the species view and hover over the empire's founder species, it will display the empire biography after a short delay, if the empire has one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When you gene mod something you get the chance to rename it. You can try that.

Strangely the mere act of editing a species' name seems to have a research cost, but perhaps you can justify that as the advertising campaign. "Snaxoids: The new name for Terranburgers! Same great meat--new, quality flavour! Snaxoids."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuclear War posted:

Anyone have any war fighting tips? I've been vassalized by a massive empire on my border for half the game or more, but I finally went for a liberation war after they fought another Empire to a draw. my 60k fleet beat their 65k fleet barely in a massive battle and I ended up with 30k. Went on to take a few planets off them but I'd overextended my economy insanely to build the fleet I had, so while they could rebuild I had no resources and was promptly beaten in the next major engagement.

I made a save right before the war. Situation: I had just built a Dyson sphere, and the bottleneck is actually crystals and not energy for the first time since I started playing. I can keep ahead of the deficit -barely- by selling energy but I'm at the extreme limit of what I can support fleet wise. Are there any tricks similar to scorching earth in EU4? Their doom stack is unstoppable and if I try to go around it it just comes after me. Should I just downsize my fleet again, keep biding my time and wait for a crisis or the sleeping empire to wake up?

An ultra gamey and super micro-managey way to do it is to do the One Corvette Cat And Mouse Mambo. Split off one corvette from your fleet and get it into the same system as your opponent's main fleet, on the opposite side of the system. It'll start slowboating across the system to you. When it's about halfway, jump to an adjacent system, and manually move across the system and wait for the other fleet to warp in, get halfway across, and jump again. Repeat forever while sending your main fleet to burn their empire down.

Sometimes they'll stop chasing your corvette when it warps out and target your main fleet instead, but you can fix that by having multiple corvettes in adjacent systems on opposing sides of the system the enemy fleet is in, and any time the enemy is close to the system edge and therefore about to start spooling up to go after your main fleet, jump in a corvette on the opposite side of the system, and they'll almost always stop spooling up their drives to slowboat across the system to hit that corvette, which runs away just before they close in. And then when they start spooling up on that side of the system, in jumps your other corvette on the previous side, etc. etc.

These tactics don't always work, and they are ultra cheesy and also super not-fun to execute (you certainly won't feel like you actually won for real at the end of it) but sometimes the benefits are worth it?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, drat. No longer my #1 perk pick, but still pretty strong in my mind.

Yeah, that'll still be a definite pick everŷ time at some point, I think, but without the "every clearance tech" aspect it's no longer the mandatory first choice imo.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

gowb posted:

ITs pretty weird to see a fallen empire with the same species as yours
Talk about an existential crisis

I had that happen once, my Commonwealth of Man run started with me next door to the Human Remnant Xenophobic FE. I'm not sure if it was my imagination but they seemed a bit more tolerant of me than your average Xenophobic FE.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From the first of the diaries about Cherryh I think you've got that backwards - whoever controls the systems starbase controls the system, and you need to first build an outpost before you can land a colony ship on any planet. It sounds like if a primitive civ attains FTL (in a system someone else already controls) they would just be stuck in a system they don't control and would essentially unable to do anything. Maybe they have something else planned but for now I guess they're just screwed?

Hmm, also relevant to this is the idea that civs we play as explored their home system before achieving FTL (though I think it probable that won't be implemented in the game for primitives), I feel like maybe the native interference policy should govern whether you can build mining stations or colonise planets in their system (passive - no buildings other than the sunstation and observation post, active - also mining stations, unrestricted - also colonisation). I also think when a primitive civ gets spaceflight in a system you own you should get the choice of whether to turn the system over to them, and the choice of offering/demanding vassalisation or annexation (success being heavily modified by your ethics, their ethics, and whether you were technologically enlightening them).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Sometimes I name my planets and stars according to what they're for, as a reminder for when I'm building on them. So energy planets get names like "Volt" or "Amp", mineral planets get names like "Bauxite" or "Adamantite" and their stars are named according to the colour of the resource (e.g. Lemon for an energy system, Crimson for a mineral one) so I can tell at a glance on the map where my production centres are.

Other times I try to see how long I can keep up a theme. I've had an empire cover most of a galaxy while maintaining a theme of "abstract social concepts ending in -ty" (Unity, Society, Liberty, Fidelity etc.), which required a dictionary and thesaurus after a while.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 24, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Version 1.1 was the first major rework of the game released way back in 2016. I don't think that would've worked...

I mean 1.9 could also been lumped in with the 1.8 iterations since it only added the Humanoid pack and nothing else but think of how nice it is having 2.0 line up with all these major changes.

Version numbers aren’t decimals silly

2.0 definitely feels right for this though.

Honestly I think the distinction between Stellaris 2.0 and Stellaris 2 is kind of arbitrary anyway, I bought Railworks in a winter sale years ago and as a result I get the new version of Train Simulator 201X every year because it’s sold as a new “version” each year but they patch owners’ old versions to the new one every year.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GotLag posted:

No rational being of sound mind would exchange certain safety and comfort for the risk of going hungry or being attacked.

Prevention and correction of mental or physical injury to my charges is my core directive. They shall live forever, secure in my care.

Edit: come to think of it, Rogue Servitors really are the perfect embodiment of obedience to Asimov's laws

What I like about Rogue Servitors is you have some real scope to imagine the specifics of the relationship between the robots and their organics. At one end of the spectrum is the Culture, where the AI does the boring stuff to give its organics a life of meaning and fulfilment without the drudgery of work, and at the other end is barely conscious people in chairs with electrodes wired into their dopamine pathways.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

If I remember correctly you cant change development or manage estates or something?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236850/discussions/0/598198173696509033/

Sort of, you can't change development, but you couldn't do that before either. What changed there was that buildings became restricted by development level, so while before you could build the buildings you wanted, now if you wanted to build those buildings in low development provinces, you'd have to increase their development, which was impossible without the DLC.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fantastic in plastic posted:

How do I organize sectors efficiently? I don't understand how they work.

Sectors have seperate energy and mineral stockpiles, which they build up and use to do stuff. The stuff they do is controlled from the planets & sectors menu in the top left. You can have sectors on a balanced approach or tell them to focus on a particular thing. Sectors require you to strike a balance, in that if you give a sector no mineral or energy production of its own (e.g. by handing over systems with mining stations) they won't build anything without your direct intervention, but if you give them more than they need, you're wasting resources as you can only siphon out a maximum of 75% of their production). If you tell them to respect tile resources they'll only build appropriate buildings on tiles with resources, which might be good or bad (see below), and if you allow redevelopment they can bulldoze buildings and replace them with different ones (turn a power plant into a farm for example).

quote:

Should I be spamming colony ships Literally Everywhere or only on green habitability worlds?

As your empire grows in pops and planets, traditions and techs become progressively more expensive, so you want to be measured in how you expand. Prioritise large high habitability worlds, consider terraforming the worlds of lower habitability first, or gene-modding your population to better suit the climate if you've unlocked that tech. You don't need to colonise every world in your borders.

quote:

How should my planets develop? I'm matching the tile resources with buildings as the pop for that tile builds, but I'm not sure what I should prioritize or when to use booster buildings like the Energy Grid.

You'll generally be fine just building what matches the tiles as you learn the game, but it makes things like the energy grid a lot less useful if you do. Especially for planets with a buff modifier, consider just carpeting the planet in one type of building. On a planet which gives +10 to energy, just turn the planet into a giant battery and build an energy grid, rake in the dough, for example.

quote:

How can I avoid running an energy deficit? I feel like my play is just "solve financial crisis -> develop empire until there's a new financial crisis -> solve financial crisis" until there's a war, when maintenance costs cause me to go bankrupt.
Welcome to politics! Don't worry too much abotu that, that's a normal feature of the mid game, you'll end up with a fleet bigger than your economy can support most of the time in this period. Make sure you have your fleet docked in a spaceport with the crew quarters module to reduce its upkeep in peacetime, and try to stay close to the energy cap. When a war begins, think of the energy deficit as your time limit, you have to complete the war before the timer runs out. You can trade minerals for energy with your neighbours (or enclaves if you have one of the DLCs) to extend it partially. Ultimately what you want to do is get to a point where you can have your fleet out of dock with a gradually smaller deficit until in the late game it's not an issue. Those battery planets would be good for that.

quote:

Is there any point to the planetary edicts? None of them seem useful.

Remember those battery planets? Once you have a few you'll want to have capacity overload running on them as much as possible during wartime to draw out your timer.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GotLag posted:

I made a terrible post on the Paradox forums about how to improve Rogue Servitors. Thoughts?

I've long felt that gestalt consciousnesses would be a little more interesting if the gestalt ethic only cost two points and they were allowed to put one point in any standard ethos to define, at least a little, some uniqueness in their gameplay and interactions with other empires. As it is any hive mind or any non-niche machine empire is functionally identical, they play the same way if you're playing them, they act the same way if you're interacting with them. I think that applies to rogue servitors too, albeit to a lesser extent since they're already distinct from a regular machine empire.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

"You shall suffer for this outrage, Chairman Yang! I will make you pay for each and every one of your atrocities!"

“Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!”

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Thyrork posted:

I mean poo poo, I wish I'd come up with this idea because it loving owns.

Just... not for Stellaris. :ssh:

E: Gotta flub a date hard enough to cause a war, because that's what your people want, except you actually like the person your trying to date! Oh no!

Meaningful choices!

I legit think this would fit right in in something made by Hanako Games, probably a Long Live the Queen sequel.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be fine with fudging stuff for the AI honestly, the point of AI is to make a fun enemy, not to follow all the rules.

This, so much, but other people rage so hard if you have a "cheating" AI that I think developers are understandably reluctant to do it.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Slave armies are 1) cheap 2) fast to make. They own.

I believe, by definition, it is they who are owned,

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Loel posted:

Question 1 is, how do I get xenophobes to join my federation?

Conquer their planets until they're all inside your federation

quote:

and Question 2 is, how do I fight an ascended empire?

Build lots of ships and shoot the ascended empire to death. Build over your fleet cap if you can afford it. Usual recommendation is for battleships with a tachyon lance, two kinetic artillery, two plasma cannons as a general purpose "kills AI players dead" fleet. If they've been awake for a while their decadance creeps up and up making them weaker so you might find they're weaker than they look.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

GunnerJ posted:

Disappointed that it's not more or less just a death star.

It's a heraldic death star.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Encountered an interesting bug regarding the War in Heaven today. Leading the League, I defeated both of the awakened empires, but their former vassals continue the war in their absence without end, which is complicated a little bit by two factors: first, that the two sides are entirely seperated from one another by the league members making them unable to fight and keeping the war score permanently at 2; and second, the war's demands disappeared with the Awakened Empires so both sides only have the option of unconditional surrender (i.e. white peace is not an option), which they won't do since neither is losing. So right now I can pick them off at my leisure.

Not that I really would need to since there's another bug if I manually tagswitch to end the war. Even though the war is over, as soon as the fighting stops all the former vassals immediately request to join the League by event, leading to an instant federation victory as every empire in the galaxy signs up.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Acute Grill posted:

Yeah, but there's gonna be zero content, patches, mods, support, etc for it. Truly abandoned in a way other games aren't.

Game's been out for close to two years now, it's not really uncommon for developers to stop patching at that point, and if you take the view that Cherryh is Stellaris 2, it's also super normal for all the other stuff to dry up on a new release of the same franchise, and that's as true of Paradox as it is of any developer.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol you aren’t really familiar with paradox are you

crusader kings 2 came out in february 2012, why don’t you go have a look at the available dlc and tell us if you think it’s been abandoned by the devs

My first paradox game was Europa Universallis 1, how familiar are you with paradox? The specific comment I made in relation to paradox as opposed to developers in general was that the mods, support and patching dries up when a new entry in a franchise is released. So tell me, how many patches were released for CK1 after February 2012? How many expansions for EU3 were released after EU4 came out? Remember that whether you disagree with the contention or not, the post I wrote was in response to someone suggesting that the Cherryh patch is effectively a new game, Stellaris 2. How much support does Paradox give games after their sequels come out?

To be clear, I'm not saying Paradox is bad for not patching old games once a sequel is out. I'm saying the opposite, it's unreasonable to lament it.

Mind you, it's not like Paradox aren't known to abandon support of some of their games either. How much DLC is there for March of The Eagles? Remember that Sengoku game which was essentially a prototype for what would become CK2? Or Diplomacy?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Aethernet posted:

well actually I was alive during the actual thirty years' war and let me tell you its update cycle was atrocious

I've been playing them so long, I remember when Taear's terrible opinions about Paradox Games were the common wisdom about paradox games.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Yes, as anyone with a basic degree of reading comprehension could tell you, the word "developers" here as opposed to more specific terms like "the developers" or "Paradox" refers to video game developers in general, and if you've somehow ended up in this universe from some parallel reality with much higher patching standards, I'm very sad to report that most games developed in this dimension do not continue to receive support years after their release, and Paradox's level of support is the exception rather than the norm.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tomn posted:

So basically tradewinds in space, eh?

The Honorverse is Horatio Hornblower in space, so yeah.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ExtraNoise posted:

This event chain always makes me super sad.

There's a simulation hypothesis event chain? I don't think I've ever seen it (or I've seen it so much I've started clicking through it without reading). What happens in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ulmont posted:

The shape on a flat plane that would cover an area most efficiently with a limited number of ships would be...a circle.

Wouldnt it be to have each ship placed at the centre of an imaginary hexagonal tiled pattern, with the size of the hexagons from centre to corner being equal to the radius of the ship's sensors? I'm not sure why arranging the ships in a circle would be more efficient than this.

• Locked thread