Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kitchner posted:

In the paid DLC you can also eat other aliens instead of merely just killing them, and your empire can gain "Ascenion perks" by completing tradition trees.
Finally the dream of cannibal space spiders is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

New feature request: the ability to jump planets back to my home system. 10 size 25 planet home system or bust.

Gotta make a new empire called V.I.L.E. lead by President San Diego.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Should I just leave all my sectors on "balanced" or specialize them? Should I colonize every planet inside one, even small ones? They don't seem to do very much without me manually directing it all regardless.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of war with ai allies, do you actually have to give them some of their war goals when you negotiate peace or can you just be like "thanks for the help, here's nothing" without an opinion penalty?

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 24, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

If only they had the visionary leadership of Emperor Zelevas.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wow ok holy gently caress, 2.0 fixes defensive wars, right? I've never been on the "ally" side of a defensive war and being just trapped and helpless as the AI throws away its fleets and refuses to recapture planets, meaning my poo poo gets stolen in the peace agreement is super infuriating.

Xenophobic all the way I guess. gently caress "friends"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Aethernet posted:

In 2.0 an opponent can't take systems it doesn't occupy, unless it has a claim on them and wins outright.

Oh thank god. Cool. Can I sue for a separate peace like in EU?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm hoping the marauders are laying the groundwork for playable nomads.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

I just like Homeworld.

Homeworld ship pack WHEN wiz

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The game already uses "Susamen" as a star name so I don't see why they can't let us build shellworlds.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, sweet! Though picking through the models, some of these were just slapped in there. And some of these ship role choices, wow.

But while we're on anomalous impossible planets;

Wiz, where is the Meat Planet? There needs to be a Meat Planet. So we can probe it with knives and forks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7K9SycELA

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Man, it just occured to me that you could rip the ship and station models from Sword of the Stars/SotS2 and they would fit pretty well into the game, being similarly modular. If only I knew how to do that. The SolForce ships would look pretty sweet. Or the Loa for Machine Empires.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Speaking of Ringworlds, I'm tinkering with writing something set on one. Anyone got any good stories or extracts of living on a ringworld? I can always use more fodder.

Talking Stellaris scale ones, not Halo sized ones. Been drawing some of the basis of my ideas from Star Ruler 2's ringworlds with the inner panels that provide a day and night cycle.

What kind of madman builds a ringworld around a black hole?!

A few Culture novels visit ringworlds briefly. Most of Look to Windward is set on one. Or an Orbital.

Consider Phlebas featured Megaships, giant cruise liners that sail an endless circle around their ringworlds without stopping.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

Those aren't Ringworlds, those are Orbitals in the shape of rings. They're almost inconceivably huge engineered environments, with as much as a hundred times the surface area of the earth, all of which would be habitable.

And they're nothing compared to the scale of a true Ringworld which would have the surface area of three million Earths.

Honestly, I prefer Banks' scale. Still breathtaking and fantastic but not as absurd as a Niven style Ringworld... which incidentally would have trouble orbiting a star.

I seem to recall Banks had proper Ringworlds, called Rings, but now that you mention it, I don't think we ever see one except listed as a casualty of the Idiran-Culture War.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

There's a picture of a Bentusi guy in the Cataclysm manual (I think?) and he has some kind of weird scale poo poo going on. I think "it's like Dune" makes about as much sense as the rest of the setting, though. But the the Beast is 100% not a human.

Yeah, the Beast is some sort of weird hegemonizing biomechanical infection from outside of normal space. The Nagarok basically pulled an Event Horizon and went somewhere where you don't need eyes to see.

Edit: And I think part of people's criticism of HW2's mystic/spiritual theme is that even though it's consistent with Homeworld 1, in the first game it was very much part of the background, blending seamlessly with the rest of the setting. In HW2 they ramped it up to 11 and suddenly the whole plot revolves around "so advanced they're magical" Macguffins while they beat you over the face with the mysticism.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I didn't know they even made SimEarth for the SNES. :psyduck:

Man it makes me want to play SimEarth again. There's a game ripe for a cool indie sequel.

I'll settle for a SimAnt sequel where the kickstarter doesn't blow all the money on strippers.

• Locked thread