Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

THE BAR posted:

Our nuclear reactors are for peaceful purposes, we swear!
The planet destroying spaceship of death!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

THE BAR posted:

Our nuclear reactors are for peaceful purposes, we swear!

There was a Star Wars novel that had Imperial propaganda after Return of the Jedi basically claiming that the Death Star was a mining tool that the rebels were planning to subvert for terrible, genocidal purposes which the Emperor heroically sacrificed his life to stop.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nightgull posted:

Can you use planet crackers peacefully, to blow up uninhabited planets and get at their dense, mineral-rich, gooey centres. The space equivalent of fracking, haha.

Yes, but uninhabitable planets aren't guaranteed to have mineral deposits.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tomn posted:

There was a Star Wars novel that had Imperial propaganda after Return of the Jedi basically claiming that the Death Star was a mining tool that the rebels were planning to subvert for terrible, genocidal purposes which the Emperor heroically sacrificed his life to stop.

Don't worry, folks; the fine people over at EmPal SuRecon Center will fix him right up!

Shadowlyger posted:

Yes, but uninhabitable planets aren't guaranteed to have mineral deposits.

This is starting to sound like Empire at War, where you end up with 90% of the galaxy turned to space debris.

Granted, that was mostly because the ground combat was so awful that you would do anything to avoid it, even decimating your own planets the Rebels took over.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nightgull posted:

Can you use planet crackers peacefully, to blow up uninhabited planets and get at their dense, mineral-rich, gooey centres. The space equivalent of fracking, haha.

Yes, though delicious habitable worlds are more likely to yield resources.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Will there be a way to destroy a planet and replace it with a hyperlane?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

GotLag posted:

Will there be a way to destroy a planet and replace it with a hyperlane?

I never wanted to blow up Sol III so much before

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Rhjamiz posted:

Man, it just occured to me that you could rip the ship and station models from Sword of the Stars/SotS2 and they would fit pretty well into the game, being similarly modular. If only I knew how to do that. The SolForce ships would look pretty sweet. Or the Loa for Machine Empires.

Somewhere, Mecron cries out, grabs his chest, and explodes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, though delicious habitable worlds are more likely to yield resources.

Apparently habitats can orbit space debris and if you want to, you can blow up everything and still build new habitats around the resulting debris, resulting in tons of additional resources!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I kind of like the idea of ringworld construction being faster and/or cheaper in systems with asteroid belts.

Of course, if the system has an inhabited planet but no asteroid belt there's probably something you could do about that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Rhjamiz posted:

Man, it just occured to me that you could rip the ship and station models from Sword of the Stars/SotS2 and they would fit pretty well into the game, being similarly modular. If only I knew how to do that. The SolForce ships would look pretty sweet. Or the Loa for Machine Empires.

On the other hand, they'd be massive resource hogs, because just like everything else in SotS 2 the ship models were poorly designed and optimized pieces of poo poo, and having them on screen in the amounts Stellaris utilizes would probably cause your PC to explode.

It'd be nice to be able to see them without all that godawful post processing making them look like blurry masses of melted plastic and neon lighting, admittedly.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm pumped for Apocalypse. I hope they have some good variety of choice for megamurder weapons.

I just want the ability to say "Good. Deploy the Dessicator"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDB2mgT5qfc

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of Ringworlds, I'm tinkering with writing something set on one. Anyone got any good stories or extracts of living on a ringworld? I can always use more fodder.

Talking Stellaris scale ones, not Halo sized ones. Been drawing some of the basis of my ideas from Star Ruler 2's ringworlds with the inner panels that provide a day and night cycle.

What kind of madman builds a ringworld around a black hole?!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 29, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I assume you've read Ringworld, by Larry Niven, which is pretty much where all of our popular ringworld tropes came from, including those day/night panels.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Cherryh reminds me once again that while I'm disappointed in the lack of quality Freespace mods for Stellaris, I am too lazy to do anything about it.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/957995231340789760

quote:

Negative. System modifiers come from star classes.

System modifiers locked to star classes it seems.

That makes me really sad :(

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Guilliman posted:

Where would you like system modifiers (besides star classes and starbases, where it currently is)? Putting it in pre-scripted system script isn't really doable because the game doesn't remember what system is using what pre-scripted template in that way. If it's an easy request, I can code it in.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Speaking of Ringworlds, I'm tinkering with writing something set on one. Anyone got any good stories or extracts of living on a ringworld? I can always use more fodder.

Talking Stellaris scale ones, not Halo sized ones. Been drawing some of the basis of my ideas from Star Ruler 2's ringworlds with the inner panels that provide a day and night cycle.

What kind of madman builds a ringworld around a black hole?!

A few Culture novels visit ringworlds briefly. Most of Look to Windward is set on one. Or an Orbital.

Consider Phlebas featured Megaships, giant cruise liners that sail an endless circle around their ringworlds without stopping.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Wiz posted:

Where would you like system modifiers (besides star classes and starbases, where it currently is)? Putting it in pre-scripted system script isn't really doable because the game doesn't remember what system is using what pre-scripted template in that way. If it's an easy request, I can code it in.

I was kinda of hoping we could attach a modifier to a system trough scripting (on star is fine I think).
The idea I had in mind was:
Planet starts with a planet modifier given by the galaxy generation -> game start script and puts a matching modifier to the system. (ship speed, ship damage, etc)

So a system could get a system wide effect trough events. This could open up a lot of dynamic events too. For example I could make a periodic event that fires in systems with pulsars. Every X years the system would become really hard to traverse.

If at all possible, attaching it to a star/system via event/script code and having it apply system wide would be perfect. Just so we can play with it in events. With the possibility of having multiple modifiers perhaps as well?

Something like: (remove_)system_modifier = { modifier = "modifier_name" }
Where the modifier is declared in the static_modifiers folder. Much like planet modifiers and other modifiers.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to code in for you so it's a bit guessing to what is possible. hope I explained is sufficiently :) Thank you

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wiz posted:

If you can always spawn X habitable worlds in Trappist, can you piggyback on that for system modifiers?

I think it would be really neat to have a couple of dedicated "Hell" systems where everything sucks, and would be neat to have a modifier outside the norm for certain interesting systems. Would be be nice flavor: maybe whoever set up Sanctuary also set up a shield inhibitor.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/958028567954317313

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

If they have to be attached to persistent entities, could the existing code be stretched to other planetary bodies, sun and planetary body modifiers, surface buildings etc? So for Guilliman's scenario pulsars could have an attached event that triggers every X years and adds a Flare modifier to the star which kills itself Y years later.

Also you could have things like dense asteroid belts or planetary debris from nuking a planet.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

can you make a ironman mode slider tia

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

HardDiskD posted:

can you make a ironman mode slider tia
what's it do when slid all the way over? make your game more metal?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

donno but the last option should be:
-No saving allowed.
-No modifying game speed
-No pause
-No diplomacy
-Insane difficulty only
-No browser can be open while playing (so no netflix while you play!)

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The AIs can save and reload but not you.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Felix_Cat posted:

The AIs can save and reload but not you.

Man, Achron was such a good bad game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

donno but the last option should be:
-No saving allowed.
-No modifying game speed
-No pause
-No diplomacy
-Insane difficulty only
-No browser can be open while playing (so no netflix while you play!)
- starting a new game deletes your save and empire and tweets the galaxy map to @StellarisGame for public critique

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kaza42 posted:

Man, Achron was such a good bad game

But Edge of Tomorrow was a great film

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Guilliman posted:

So galactic terrain type modifiers are linked to star class and not location in the galaxy map?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rhjamiz posted:

A few Culture novels visit ringworlds briefly. Most of Look to Windward is set on one. Or an Orbital.

Consider Phlebas featured Megaships, giant cruise liners that sail an endless circle around their ringworlds without stopping.
Those aren't Ringworlds, those are Orbitals in the shape of rings. They're almost inconceivably huge engineered environments, with as much as a hundred times the surface area of the earth, all of which would be habitable.

And they're nothing compared to the scale of a true Ringworld which would have the surface area of three million Earths.

Honestly, I prefer Banks' scale. Still breathtaking and fantastic but not as absurd as a Niven style Ringworld... which incidentally would have trouble orbiting a star.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

Honestly, I prefer Banks' scale. Still breathtaking and fantastic but not as absurd as a Niven style Ringworld... which incidentally would have trouble orbiting a star.

IIRC Niven started on the first ringworld sequel after he visited MIT for a book signing and he was ambushed with a white paper showing that it was unstable.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
At the point where you're building a ringworld you've long stopped caring what physics thinks about you. It'll orbit, because you make it orbit.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I think I remember it being that the only way for the Niven ringworld to work is for the ring to use a magnetic field to grab the star and hold it in the center of the ring or some such thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wait, can a War in Heaven currently not start until the earliest Crisis date? That might explain why I have never ever seen one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

At the point where you're building a ringworld you've long stopped caring what physics thinks about you. It'll orbit, because you make it orbit.

Yeah, that system failing is a major plot point in the 2nd book.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

Those aren't Ringworlds, those are Orbitals in the shape of rings. They're almost inconceivably huge engineered environments, with as much as a hundred times the surface area of the earth, all of which would be habitable.

And they're nothing compared to the scale of a true Ringworld which would have the surface area of three million Earths.

I seem to recall Banks had proper Ringworlds, called Rings, but now that you mention it, I don't think we ever see one except listed as a casualty of the Idiran-Culture War.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only reason you'd want a ring-shaped habitat is to generate gravity by spinning. There's absolutely no reason or advantage to have a ring literally around an entire star. Why not just build the same square kilometers of habitable space with a few hundred/thousand "halo" style rings and not worry about instability?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

The only reason you'd want a ring-shaped habitat is to generate gravity by spinning. There's absolutely no reason or advantage to have a ring literally around an entire star. Why not just build the same square kilometers of habitable space with a few hundred/thousand "halo" style rings and not worry about instability?

“Because we can” - a Kardashev type 2 civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Why not build O'Neill cylinders, which look cooler?

Also fwiw Startopia is a game that exists which is nice if you like space habitats and the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 29, 2018

• Locked thread