Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mukip posted:

Looking at the new habitable stations makes me think that the planets don't seem very impressive in comparison. Star systems feel small in comparison to the fleets and other objects present. Maybe the devs should think about re-scaling the game assets for a greater sense of grandeur.

I assume the scale is so your shooty ship battles are viewable from the system without having to zoom in a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Sensors and engines are the most important techs, followed by afterburners.

Sensors are +3 tracking and engines are +3 evade, which is not a lot.

Going up a weapon tier is +10-20% damage depending on the type and mount size. Shields are also a pretty decent effective hp boost on corvettes, with armor being more ideal if they are running kinetics.

Generally I prioritize weapons and shields early. Once you have some kind of shield/armor to stack depending on what the other guy is running then going to destroyers is a good idea. With their tracking bonus, they will out range the corvettes and hit them most of the time with the medium mounts they are packing.

If you are running missiles none of this applies just build a ball of 20-30 corvettes and go kill someone cause missiles are king early. Then diversify immediately before PD comes out and you lose the game (salvage the wreckage of the guy you killed). Alternatively, cloud lightning+energy siphon actually works ok for a while if you can get those, though you will eventually be badly outclassed if you don't get something better. I also like sticking with missile stations/starports since they generally wreck corvette heavy early game fleets due to large missile accuracy, and if they waste slots on pd to deal with it they are gimping themselves when they fight your actual fleet.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 3, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

If you bought the hype based on what a vague mushmouth was saying along with the manipulated preview setpiece of BALARI V then Chris Roberts has some spaceships you may be interested in. It was very obviously overhyped crap of questionable quality.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Getting on the menu scrolling sucks bandwagon.

Splitting fleets makes me want to die.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The food centralization change will be amazingly good for everything. Slave species that farm for the masters, frontier colonies that don't spend 5 years being worthless trash due to having to prioritize food instead of those +sci tiles you actually wanted to work, blockading/invading a breadbasket and sending an empire into starvation and unrest.

EDIT: Actually, how will starvation work? Will it select random pops or will it just start starving in some kind of order?

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Nuke from orbit sounds like my kind of thing. Hopefully you can scour all of the foul aliens from the surface without having to touch their unclean soil.

Back Hack posted:

I forget, since it's been a while since I've played the game (because the bank update got announced so early), but can you terraform tomb worlds?

Yes, though it's endgame kind of tech.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Space spergs are the worst.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LordMune posted:

No. To differentiate ourselves from Crusader Kings II (where the AI gets to enjoy miles and miles of intricate triggers and weights scripted for it specifically) we've always made a conscious effort to make the game more fun for the player than the computer. :)

Sounds suspiciously spiritualist to me.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I will mediate the disagreement.

You are both dumb.

I am dumb.

We are all dumb, and no one cares. Please resume discussion about the many different ways we will be able to commit acts of genocide in the next patch.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I like stellaris and this thread and wiz, everything is nice and good.

The thread teeters drunkenly between bad and good but it does generally contain updates and cool poo poo along with posts from wiz and his crew so I think it's probably good on the balance.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

How does it handle that?

Colored hatching. It's murderous for your pretty borders and imo that would be grounds for immediate war on your start neighbor.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Honestly, the primitives suffer from the fact that they're either just a source of society research (if they're too far back/useless ethos), more pops (of often dubious value and an ethics nightmare) or another vassal, which are just there.

That last bit annoys me alot coming from CK2, because that game is all about vassals. You can't do anything with them, you can't let them do anything and all they do is squat there, impotently, hoping you'll give them a planet which you won't do because they hate you if they get too powerful.

:sad:

Early primitives are an excellent source of slaves. An extra 5 or so pops very early will jumpstart your mineral economy amazingly well and all it takes is 2-3 assault armies and some influence. This will be even better once food is global as you can then task the savages with feeding your cap and free your important pops up for research etc.

If they are of the same hab type they can be partially or completely exterminated and replaced with your species later if you don't feel like leaving it as a pure mineral world. If they enjoy a different hab type, you can focus on trying to get some of them to drift to the correct ethos and allow them to serve in increased capacity on other worlds.

If you aren't willing to enslave or genocide them then any alien without compatible ethics are indeed more of a hassle than anything else though the bonus society research is still good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the good news is that wormhole stations cost almost nothing to maintain (0.25 energy/mo) and a wormhole modulator on a ship does not use energy, which is a big deal in the early game when that's the difference between another weapon or shield module in a destroyer. the biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is early game scouting, which, in my experience, is vastly overrated anyway. there is not a huge amount of value scouting out further than your potential borders given your next colonization wave, and if you are playing a warmonger it is actively a bad thing to go out too hard because you ideally want to destroy or neuter your nearest neighbor before the galactic neighborhood lights up.

Not being able to exchange minerals<>energy in the midgame because you didn't scout some merchant guys is a big deal. It's very easy to pump energy income to insane levels and just convert it to minerals as needed to fuel a war machine at a much higher rate than someone without access to minerals<>energy.

Also you can find all of the worlds you want and where the unclean primitives you are going to conquer live.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I guess people like you enough to accept the wormhole treaties. By midgame I am a galactic pariah.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wiz posted:

A boycott over ethics in video games, you say.

I log in an am triggered as soon as the word collectivist appears on my screen.

It's all your fault. If you hadn't previewed all of these things that look really good then we would be more willing to play what we already have.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

I know I wasn't the first to request this, but I was the first to request it in this thread and that's something.

Not something good, but definitely something.

It's definitely good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Taear posted:

I get that but you're sort of the face. I'm sure they're very good too but other than Mune, Doomdark and DarkRenown we don't hear from them as much!

Unfortunate that everyone doesn't want to come to our dead gay comedy forum and partake in our discussions about ethics in video games.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Taear posted:

I think you're jumping a bit there. It's gluten free because a lot small number of people are allergic to gluten!

It has a low incidence but the number of retards who want lovely expensive baked goods instead of fluffy delicious cheap ones is shockingly high.

And they are extremely easy to troll as demonstrated by wiz.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Please have all quotes voiced by the gentle ghost of Carl Sagan.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

This thread is so easy to troll and is apparently physically incapable of identifying a shitpost and run and then not responding to it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Ah yeah the tech makes sense because is there ever a time you don't research it first?

I've gone for notacolonyship first a fair amount of times actually in favor of planetary unification and the +1 influence. In the near term resources will ramp up faster by simply spamming mines/outposts and stealing primitive worlds with assault armies.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Is utopia gonna have another cuties pack?

That would be rad.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Do they not know that Civ4 exists or?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Muffinlord posted:

It's a shame Stellaris can't get Leonard Nimoy to do voiceover now.

I'm sure there's somebody out there that could do a passable imitation.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

There is also a blurb about primitives being less common so you may not be able to just snap up 1 or 2 nearby every game? Will have to play to see how balance works out.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Prawned posted:

Worst thing about this game is being stuck in race creation FOREVER because I can't decide what to play.

Bubble parrot, full authoritarian with a side of miliitarism or xenophobia, dick with things a bit hit go

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Aethernet posted:

Um, is anyone else getting a bug whereby if you have auto-upgrade switched on all ships get upgrades as soon as a tech is discovered without you having to manually upgrade them?

Because that's incredibly broken if so.

I was coming here to post this. Also I don't think it charged me either. It just updates the design and upgrades the ships.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but it's not especially good gameplay if I can make everyone in the empire as objectively happy as it is possible for sapient life to be, without really trying, thus invalidating the mechanic and everything tied to it.

10% is good enough. My oppressed slaves only receive the bare minimum of consumer goods required to sustain life so it works out ok.

Also wow I didn't realize there were so many peaceful friends in here. The species I have played thus far since Utopia launched.

A fanatic purifier, a militarist/xenophobe/materialst robo man empire, and another fanatic purifier. Tried hive mind briefly but the inability to do anything with oppressed space indians besides turn them into burgs was crimping my style. At least fanatic purifiers can take space Byzantium decision and get more value out of them early on, though of course later they are processed into food once they are no longer necessary.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

A couple unrelated quetions:

Does the degree to which a trade deal is beneficial to the other empire affect how much of an opinion boost you get from it?

If I play an Authoritarian or Fanatic Authoritarian empire, is it viable to only enslave other species or do I need to start enslaving my own kind right off the bat? Kind of thinking of playing a militant/xenophobic/authoritarian empire that captures, enslaves, and eats the rest of the galaxy in pursuit of bloody supremacy, but I've never been very good at the game so I kind of want to make sure I understand how all the various components work together and make sure I'm not pursuing something blatantly unplayable.

Well if you are going authoritarian you probably want to take decadent for the free point and run caste system on your own species.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

100 degrees Calcium posted:

That would work. Is caste system a Civic?

It's a species slavery policy. You guys really don't do bad guys do you :v:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah I do that all the time. Since there is no discount or time savings for upgrading a building instead of replacing it, there is no reason not to if you want it moved.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OGS-Remix posted:

In my current game after taking 4 out of 5 planets from a spiritualist FE a new spiritual faction popped up in my fanatic materialist empire. The leader of the faction is the Synth admiral that lead my fleets to crush their and conquer their worlds. :psyduck:

He self flagellates with a cattle prod every morning.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Muffinlord posted:

A system spawned in my latest game in the dead center of the galaxy. Is that a thing?

Greetings from Sagittarius A*

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

the entire galaxy cheered and then followed suit in declaring war on me

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Rumda posted:

the bottom two techs in prosperity are pretty good especially if you take them in the late game, nothing like saving a bucket of energy each month .

Everything in prosperity top to bottom is very good. Adopting it as your first pick always is basically hands down the best choice even if you aren't filling it out just yet.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Conskill posted:

My first ascension pick ever was Mastery of Nature, but I've shied away from it in subsequent games because while it's truly awesome at its niche, it's a finite niche which becomes less and less relevant as the game goes on. Most other Ascension picks have better staying power.

It's worth 100 minerals and energy on every blocker you clear. The research savings is incidental compared to that since I don't value bio research at the same level as physics and engineering.

That adds up to thousands over the course of a game and if you get it first it will save a lot of resources in the part of the game where you are most strapped for them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

I used to dump everything into sectors ASAP but since utopia came out I'm petrified they won't maximise my unity output. I could test to see if they do I suppose.

They do!

I pushed out a big wave of colonizers to backfill a rich sector that was maxxing out minerals so they had something to do and they were putting out every influence building.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

The artist troupe I hired to throw festivals across my empire 'fell in love' with one of my worlds and asked to move in, and I accepted.

Also, I'm a hive mind so as soon as their pops landed we started eating them.

:getin:

hosed up interactions like this are extremely good and also make me think that hive minds are proooobably going to get finished up in another patch.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

The whole auto-genocide for hive minds is such a ridiculous band aid solution but leads to hilarious results.

Has anyone else noticed hives often go down in one war? The last 3 games I played had some hives off to a strong start, get into a single war, then lose 100% of their planets to total annexation. The conquering empire gets huge but then contracts back to its old size as all the conquered pops die off leaving the planets empty since they were a different climate type.

When hives manage to win wars they do the same, often leaving a massive dead zone around them.

Weren't nearly enough gigadeaths before 1.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

A band-aid to the band-aid would be to give them some amount of pops based on how many were on the planet that got auto-genocided. Or some sort of change letting an empire that has a world cleaned off through not-bombardment start building a new pop (leaving the planet at 0 pops with 1 building) so they don't lose the planet.

I just build a robot or use resettle, even if it's a full planet they don't all die instantly at the same time so you just have to come back and check on it as tiles start getting freed up. If it's of a different hab type then having them all die and go unusable is fine imo. Just sector them off until they are all made into burgs and while that's happening the huge food spike helps with your pop growth.

• Locked thread