Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Nothing quite like stacking all the unity modifiers for +92% and getting +1 unity from farms, modified to +1.92 unity from every farm you make.

I wonder if there's any other modifiers you can get close to 100% now, like building cost or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Staltran posted:

Have to go to sleep now but a couple things, the latter of which has probably been mentioned repeatedly already:
1. The finisher effect in traditions seems to be counted as a tradition for increasing tradition costs? Seems like a bug.
2. Planetary survey corps is the most broken thing that has ever been in the game, holy poo poo. Nothing at launch came close to being this broken, unless I've forgotten something. It's really easy to survey more than three planets a month, and then you're getting science stored up faster than you can use it. It literally doubles your science! And the AI probably misses out because it thinks trading star charts is a good idea. I've got almost six years worth of stored up science, and I've just got three orbitals built up with 7 lab complexes each so it was probably closer to 8 years before my science output increased suddenly.

Regarding point 2, it's insanely good early on as well, considering it lets you literally blitz through the tech tree using 3 science ships.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I have to say, because I know some of the devs frequent here like Wiz, good lord this game is order of magnitudes better now.

I mean, I know Paradox has a reputation for releasing bare bones stuff and adding a lot during expansions, but goddamn it's like a completely different game.

All we need is trade and religion now *hint hint*.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Seeing as everyone is doing it, my unity bonus stacking, peaceful isolationist sentient cactus people who like to use other sentients are fertilizer.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Javes posted:

What is that exactly? I just got back into this game and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the systems again.

Basically, every time you scan something (it says planet, but it counts moons asteroids, stars etc) you get 1/3 of your current research as stored research in all three categories.

It is obviously OP as gently caress if you wait till late game to scan poo poo and still really really op for wider empires at the start as well because it keeps your research afloat.

Lordshmee posted:

I've just been wrecked. Everything was going so well for my peacenik scientists, but my rear end in a top hat neighbors who claimed to love peace slowly grew envious of me and declared war. It's been a running battle to keep afloat but all my frontier outposts are gone and the rest of my opportunist neighbors have moved in to fill the gaps... curses! How can I discourage evil neighbors if my fleet cap won't let me build a strong enough deterrent?

Defensive Pacts and lots of highly upgraded spaceports.

P.S. Think of Unity as culture from the civ series and you'll get the hang of it fast.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ok, I have found my new favourite thing, stacking fire rate modifiers with ripper autocannons.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

:stare:

*unsubscribes*

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

GotLag posted:

Is the Ministry of Culture still totally sweet in 1.5? It was very much worth donating to get that in 1.4.

Note: I have a +130% on base unity. Definitely still worth it.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Planetary Survey Corps is op as all gently caress, especially on larger galaxies.

Double my tech speed for the next 100 years? Yeah sure.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ok someone had a really fun time at Paradox coding in the yearly newsletter for the Artisan Troupe, it just slowly gets more and more insane.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Welcome to underwater Space China bitches, please leave your dirty barbarian selves on the beaches, praise the Son of Heaven!

Turns out there are a lot of unique government names you can get by switching stuff around, I think this one is spiritual/imperial/inwards perfection

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 8, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Too many god drat core worlds

Trying to manage loving twenty planets is impossible

Mayor Dave posted:

Yeah, I don't care how big my core sector size gets, anything except for like the best 4-5 get thrown in a sector and efficiency be damned.

Am I seriously the only person that doesn't use sectors whatsoever? I just colonise a planet, resettle enough pops to get to 10 pop, then poo poo out all the buildings i'll ever need on it, upgrade to max rank and ignore it from then on.

Works amazingly well with terraformed new colonies + nomadic, because you don't even need to migrate the pops, your core worlds will send enough to get it to 10 pop after a year without influence costs. Repeat ad infinatum, managing maybe 5 colonies at a time max.

In my current game I have 17 core sector systems and 46 planets, all 'managed' personally via this system.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

I'm not denying that it's trivial to actually manage the systems. What I'm saying is that it's pretty tedious and I'd rather focus on other things than clicking on upgrade arrows over and over again.

I would sell the first born children of my Empire to the Shroud for an upgrade all button.

Or even buy a £15 dlc just for said button.

Libluini posted:

To be fair, if your empire can handle that many core systems, go hog wild! Personally, after a certain point (8-10 systems) I stop handling things on my own and instead use higher caps to build up colonies and then stuff them in sectors. Basically after I hit my personal limit, I just use my slowly growing cap to avoid the hefty penalties of going over your limit while crafting my next sector.

I just treat it as more of an 'until I can research or somehow increase my core sector cap, all I can do in these systems is terraform them and build habitats until I can'.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do you get that many core worlds? Some guy said he had 17, I can't figure out how you'd stack it that high.

Hope this helps.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

What's the best way to win wars against groups that don't have fleet power? I have the biggest fleet and the galaxy through itself at me in a war where I wanted 3 systems. I would up having to go invade almost every single system and take every planet of the guy I declared war on just to get a 60% war score.

If they straight up don't have any fleets, just blockade all their planets till you hit 100%.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

It's quite unlike reddit to have any good ideas, but you really haven't lived until you conquer a few of your neighbours planets, gene mod their pops into delicious livestock and sell that excess food back to the empire you just took the planets from.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

In my experience you don't get any war score for blockading planets anymore. Just destroying fleets and invasions.

Huh will need to double check that, I was sure I got warscore from blockading after Utopia.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what you need to do to increase ruler experience to increase their skill as a dictator/imperial? I suppose I could just switch to democracy for 10 years and pick a 5 star one but :effort:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I still prefer the visceral method of stormfire autocannon spam combined with combat speed and fire rate stacking.

It's not efficient but goddamn does all that DAKKA look good.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

I'm playing a tall pacifist materialist empire in a hyperlane-only game. I think this is pretty much the ideal setup for investing heavily in defense stations, but are they worth a drat in the current patch?

They are always worth a drat because they slow enemy fleets a down a lot, not only can you interdict them right into the middle of systems forcing them to travel out, you can force them to go into combat speed every time they hit a speedbump station.

This is insanely useful in hyperlane games because it gives you LOTS of time to get your fleet in position to intercept them, combined with Bulwark of Harmony it basically means you can't be attacked as a pacifist.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Pierson posted:

I fought a war across half my galaxy solely to open some borders but during the war all my scientists died of old age and I can't afford influence to replace them. :(

What, you mean you don't have genetically modified, cyborg, telepathic super scientists?!

Going to war over opening borders half a galaxy away just shows how hilarious Planetary Survey Corps is late game...

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly, you would think spiritualists would have a far bigger problem with genetic engineering than people killing themselves by losing their 'souls' in a machine conversion.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

So it has been over a week and I literally only just learned I could change my governing ethics by embracing factions...

Well I guess it's going to be Agrarian Idyll starter every time now.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Can I just say how hilarious it is to have a stacked -70% growth rate modifier?

Because it is incredibly hilarious.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if gaia worlds you terraform yourself count as inhabitable planets for that.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Has anyone figured out how rulers get experience/gain levels yet apart form philosopher king or electing a scientist/gov etc.

Mostly asking for Empire governments where you cant do that unless you reform.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

4C:3D:2C:1B is the only ratio that matters. :colbert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Can anyone else think of more growth modifiers than these? Need it for some science.

Fertile: -30%
New Generation Agenda: -10%
Fanatic Spiritualist Edict: -20%
Genome Mapping: -10%
Consecrated World: -10%
New Life Expansion Tradition: -10%

Apart from planetary modifiers like atmospheric aphrodisiac of course.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 17, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Staltran posted:

I don't think anyone answered this, so Festival of Worlds from artist enclaves is -10% more. I forgot the fanatic spiritualist edict is a thing. I wonder if -100% gives you one pop a month or fills up the planet instantly? Probably one a month.

It doesn't work like that, it just reduces the multiplier on growth points so that it's only based on current population and habitability. IIRC it's (25 base + size penalty based on current pop) * (2-1+ -growth rate) at 100% habitability.

So if I have this setup on a few small planets that grow insanely fast, as well as the nomadic trait, as soon as they grow they will send out pop everywhere in my empire, negating the only real problem I have in this game (pop growth) without going full synthetics.

I was trying to get -100% so I could completely get rid of the multiplier.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 17, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Clanpot Shake posted:

Do factions ever dissolve once started?

Yes, but you have to do it, usually by dissolving their pop members in acid.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Oh joy, just started a new game on a ring galaxy...on one side I have the Egalitarian United Nationas of Earth that hate me and on the other side the Authoritarian Commonwealth of Man...who also hate me.

Both are advanced starts.

This is gonna end well :shepicide:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I assume this is a bug, but apparently you can still keep the effects of inwards perfection and agrarian idyll despite faction converting away from pacifist and xenophobe, as long as you don't reform your government.

Time to abuse the poo poo outta some bugs I guess.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Still not gonna use them Wiz. :colbert:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Does anyone know if you can build habitats on the non-colonisable sections of ringworlds?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Ok so the pop growth mechanic does not work the way I think it does, if you manage to stack -100% growth time you grow a pop every single month on a planet.

Yeah. :stare:

The way I did it was Fertile (-30%), fanatic spiritualist edict (-20%), genome mapping (-10%), New Life (-10%), New Generation (-10%), Consecrated World (-10%), Frontier Hospital (-10%).

Edit: The makes the whole habitat +10 energy mid-late game strategy even more insane.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 20, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

BabyFur Denny posted:

You would need bioengineering for Fertile, right?

You need the biological ascension and consecrated planets perks to pull this off yeah, I built an entire empire around shortening edict cost and spamming unity to do it.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The very first thing I do every single game is go to Species Rights and turn on Migration Controls.

Sure do love pops moving from the upgraded buildings of the homeworld to bare tiles on a newly colonised planet.

It can actually be pretty good after you have 5 or 10 planets, because they each send a pop making you get an instant planetary capital/administration.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Friends, let me tell you about the glory of a +114% fire rate modifier combined with stormfire autocannons. Some of these stacking modifier test games are hilarious.

Fanatic Purifier: +33%
Militarist: +10%
Rank 5 Admiral: +25%
Aggressive Admiral: 8%
Distinguished Admiralty: 8%
Supremacy Finisher: +15%
Cyborg Admiral: +15%

All pretty easy to get, just need to figure out a way to get him to become the Chosen One...or find an Ether Drake.

Sandweed posted:

What is the end of Cybrex chain?

You find a ruined Ringworld which they retreated to after realising how stupid their crusade against organic life was...only to be murdered by said organic life they pissed off 200,000 years later. It's considered the best chain to finish due to giving you access to living metal and the engineering of a ruined ringworld.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 21, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Behold, Mick Jagger, scourge of the galaxy!

Yes, this is a default name

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

I gotta say, I was enjoying Fanatic Purifiers but good lord are they punishing, I have been in constant war with my neighbours for over 40 years today and it's just one giant genocide filled stalemate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jabarto posted:

So what's the advantage of playing an imperial government? From what I can tell they're just dictatorships that can't choose their successors.

Basically, Imperial Cult and Authoritarian factions being pretty easy to please.

• Locked thread