Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't touched the game since 1.1 or 1.2 something like that. But I heard there are now hive minds and space dragons and things like that, so thought I'd give it a poke again. Is it still about building lots of battleships with lances to try and blow everything up before it gets close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ulmont posted:

Unawakened Fallen Empires at peace get events to boost their fleets back to where they started.

Awakened Fallen Empires get a massive boost when they awaken but I believe it is one time.

Awakened Fallen Empires will try to build back up after defeat - and they have a fair amount of capacity normally - but my understanding is they have no special bonuses on top.

Only Fallen Empires get event ships back, not Awakened. Any FE with less than 5k fleet power will have an event that spawns a pile of ships, but it explicitly calls out "is_country_type = fallen_empire", and there isn't an and clause for "is_country_type = awakened_empire".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I keep getting messages that someone is destroying the various enclaves around the galaxy, but it doesn't say who it is or why. Is there any way to find out who it is and stop them? It's down to just one last artist enclave, and I'd really like to keep that 10% unity bonus going.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I made my dudes into cyborgs and they are pretty awesome. What happens if I take the next step and make them into robots? Is it worth doing, or should I just stick with the cool cyborgs guys I have now?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Piell posted:

Also you have to make them all by hand

That's what I'm worried about. I still haven't filled out my core system cap (x0.25 planets) and if I have to keep building pops everywhere it'll drive me crazy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Corbeau posted:

But that might make sectors useful instead of a punishment.

That's 95% of why I play with the minimum number of habitable planets.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

New dev diary on crises:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-72-crises-the-contingency.1026439/

The new AI crisis looks much more interesting, and I like the idea of mid-game crises becoming more prevalent.

I feel like there should be an option (single-player only I guess) for a player empire that has ascended into a fully robotic society to take over the AI rebellion empire. Basically let the player turn into the AI endgame crisis if they want.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hezzy posted:

I'm on an ironman playthrough, but I've got a trainer that enables the console. Do you know what the command would be?

Why would you even bother with Ironman at that point? Just play a normal game and it'll run even faster to boot.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

humiliate your leader

Humiliate of course being a codeword for murder.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Speaking of outposts: Is there any reason to keep outposts once you have a colony established in their area?

Even with a colony, an outpost will help push your borders. It's never obvious how much you'll gain/lose by building/destroying an outpost, so unless you really need the monthly influence back, just keep outposts that are along your borders.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mastery of Nature saves so much research time and minerals + energy that I always take it as my first choice. It's really nice being able to colonize anything and just not needing to worry about what kind of crap is sitting on the tiles, and how long you need to wait to draw the right cards to clear them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sanctum posted:

God bless you asteroid. :toot:

I'm pretty sure it turns the planet into a barren planet, so I'm not sure if you actually want it to hit.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wolfechu posted:

The only time I've had this event, I sent my fleet racing out to meet it, only to have my starbase around the planet casually blast the asteroid to smithereens before they even got close. With fairly early-tech weapons, too. Half wondering if you have a year or so to deal with it whether it's not just easier to start building a station. Or do the asteroids get bigger/tougher later in the game?

The event spawns a specific pre-made ship type, so it should always have the exact same stats. In general, any event that spawns a ship will have a pre-made ship type, usually with the only possible difference being the drive type.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Guilliman posted:

Hey all I made a suggestion for the planet ui (stat totals), what do you all think and if you realy like it show your support on the official suggestion threat so we can get this in the game in some form!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/planetary-stats-total-ui-window-a-mockup-suggestion.1029818/

That is a really nice suggestion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Danaru posted:

I've always wanted to do single-resource planets but I always feel like I'm being inefficient by suppressing deposits, so I'm looking forward to it :v:

I'm in the same boat

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I use an auto explore mod, but I always manually​explore the surrounding systems before sending my guys out to auto explore everything.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

After I've turned all my guys into robots, is there any way to then make species that I uplift/annex into robots as well? When my guys were just cyborgs I was able to add the robotic trait to the guys I uplifted, but I can't figure out how to do it now that I've removed all the meatsacks from my empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

The rebel event (almost?) always happens unless you're a hive mind. There's different flavor text for it, depending on your ethics.

The pirates are guaranteed to always happen to the player as long as they aren't a hive mind as you called out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Axetrain posted:

What do people favor for 1st ascension point?

I'm all about Mastery of Nature. It saves me decade(s) of research and thousands of minerals and energy, at a time when they are extremely scarce.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I guess one of the benefits of playing with the minimum number of habitable planets is that it's pretty late in the game before I need to use sectors.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

I'd like sectors to have a list of all the planet unique buildings you can build with a "Just loving Build It" checkmark beside each one.
They're each another +2 unity per planet though, I don't think you quite understand my priorities here.

You and me both buddy :hf:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LordAbaddon posted:

Speaking of the Borg, I'm hoping that future updates allow synthetic empires to convert to hive mind

I'm actually hoping they add the option for authoritarian empires to convert. I want to be able to do a special project that forces my pops to become hive minds or leave.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If Tim Curry is still alive have him do it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Hive Minds control their drones psionically, and leaders (Autonomous Drones) have some degree of self-awareness. That's really the only two 'fixed' rules of biological Hive Minds in Stellaris, the rest you're kind of free to decide for yourself when playing one.

If they are psionic, shouldn't they be able to delve into the Shroud?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

If anything, you may be dealing with an AE at some point.

I'm pretty sure that 50k fleet is still a requirement for the awakening event.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I like the option of switching to the rebels.

That needs to be an option in every single Paradox game

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Omniblivion posted:

After that, it's just going planet by planet and clicking land -> waiting to heal -> depart to next planet and repeat.

They'll heal as they fly to the next planet, no need to wait it out on the ground.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For a Unity focused start, would you go Paradise dome for first unity tree unlock? It's only +2 unity, but I figure extra happiness is never a bad thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Or is any planet not in a sector considered part of a 'core sector'?

It is. If you take a look at a save game, you'll see a section in there talking about core sector, and the AI's planned budget for it, etc.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Libluini posted:

New civic Gaia-Born: You start with a size 25 Gaia-world, but have a -50% penalty to happyness when colonizing non-Gaia planets.

I'd be all over that. Stick with the two guaranteed nearby planets, and then just tech toward the Gaia creation tech. A size 25 starting planet is an amazing thing, even with a downsize of limited initial expansion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LordMune posted:

It's not coming out tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering.

So long as it's out by the 15th so I can play it on yet another 10 hour flight I'll be happy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Make the tech tree something you can trade for from Science enclaves. Nothing new under tge suns after all.

That would be an interesting option.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Mastery of Nature is so good I'm convinced it's going to be nerfed. :smith:

It really is the absolute best. If the cost to remove blockers wasn't so drat high (both in minerals+energy & research) it wouldn't be such an easy choice, but as it is there is no other perk worth taking first over it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hyper lanes also feel best as far as the three normal drive types go. Jump drives are obviously awesome for when you need to move halfway across the galaxy, but since they aren't a starter type they don't count.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just want to be able to play as the cockroaches.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The only problem I have with Democracy and Oligarchy is that I keep losing my nice admirals and scientists, and I end up burning a bunch of the extra influence I generate to create new sub-par leaders.

I would really like a policy setting when in an elective government that allows me to set where the elective pool comes from.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taear posted:

Uh...temple?

Spiritualist building, adds Unity and +Spiritualist Ethics Attraction.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Can you still build a Dyson Sphere, and then find a ruined one?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

The former, I think. Pretty sure it's just like normal processing for food except they spit out energy instead of food as they die.

So basically hooking people up to giant hamster wheels and making them generate power until they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

I hope you all like additional micro in the late game, when your fleet with thousands of corvettes will have to be six separate fleets. It's not a great deal of extra micro, but this feels like the sort of change that could've waited for a proper war-focused patch. Hopefully ship cost changes will mean that megafleets are no longer a thing.

Stop building corvette-only fleets? Once I unlock cruisers I can pretty much stop building corvettes entirely.

• Locked thread