Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rakthar posted:

Well ok, I enjoy posting stuff about Stellaris the videogame and my thoughts on the gameplay. If you don't enjoy reading my posts, I think there's a fairly straightforward solution there.

yeah you can learn from your mistakes

and/or i can keep posting about nutsacks whenever you are being insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

your incessant whining about people talking about stuff you don't want to talk about is pretty insufferable imo

i don't think you actually read my posts

PittTheElder posted:

Not really. There's mid-tier techs that increase range and cut jump time (like the other FTL methods), and you can always just split your fleet in two and move it through separate wormhole stations if you need the speed for some reason. By the time it would become actually problematic you get Jump Drives (Psi Jump Drives if you chose your ethos correctly).

worth noting that wormhole empires also get large bonuses to jump drive tech appearing - everyone can access it when they research up to zero point generators, but the second wormhole enhancement tech also increases the chance of it showing up - i believe by a factor of like 75 or 80% but i'd have to go digging.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Aren't the unbidden supposed to be the least dangerous endgame crisis right now? I mean it's not like I'm about to *not* build synths so some kind of crisis is happening regardless
the endgame crises are all eminently easy to defeat...so long as you know what is coming. unbidden are generally easy to counter because they have a massive overreliance upon shields, so any form of mass driver setup will hurt them badly. kinetic artillery batteries absolutely shred them. the AI rebellion is simply a matter of hitting the homeworld, HARD, the second it spawns. if you cannot overcome it immediately, you go on a total war footing until you can. the infiltration portion is much more annoying than dangerous, so long as the homeworld is knocked out. infiltration is RNG to stop which is loving annoying but they're not going to seriously cripple an otherwise healthy empire. the prethoryns rely on missiles, strike craft, and armor; therefore, long-range artillery (esp energy weapon artillery), point defense, and bombers will absolutely eviscerate their fleet. i've taken on multiple 60k prethoryn swarms with a 50k fleet kitted out to fight the bastards. the difference is, like you said, nobody's going to just stop building synths or not research jump drives so the prethroyns in practice rarely arrive before something else occurs (which implicitly deactivates them).

the real problem with crises is if people underestimate them or are caught flatfooted by them because they get out of hand so quickly. my friends that got caught out always said poo poo like "i just wanted to finish up the war i was in". and it's like no motherfucker the goddamn tyranids are here your war can loving wait. call a white peace and pick it up later, it's loving go time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ulmont posted:

...also the Scourge is always added as a baseline crisis, so you'll get something every playthrough.
it's actually kinda weird.

the prethoryns have a 25% chance of never occurring, determined at galaxy generation. so assuming nobody ever researches sentient AI and nobody ever researches jump drives (outside of FEs, of course, they don't count for these factors), then the Unbidden will eventually occur in like 2000 years.

so in practical terms you have a 25% chance of not having an end game crisis if you pacify the galaxy so quickly that nobody can roll for the other crises. in which case you've like ultra-won the game anyway.

PittTheElder posted:

smh if you aren't on a total war footing at all times

ok fair

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 14, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Aethernet posted:

If you're a xenophobe then encouraging other races to migrate to your ethics will make them hate you, at least in the current game. It would be great if getting other races to drift to your ethics involved convincing them that your race was in fact the master race, enabling you to get work out of them without slavery.

if you're a xenophobe you've basically already had the conversation that xenos are to be tolerated temporarily at best

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
xenophobe pacifists are characterized by the game as isolationists currently, which makes perfect sense to me

these are not necessarily empires with mammoth galactic ambitions, they're kinda like fallen empires in the making in that they're mostly focused inward and are focused on doing their own thing. if they can claim new territory or something that's great but they're not gonna get too hot and bothered about it. their primary request is that whatever you're planning, you just leave them out of it.

needless to say i have killed a LOT of xenophobe pacifists in my Suffer Not The Alien run

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the good news is that wormhole stations cost almost nothing to maintain (0.25 energy/mo) and a wormhole modulator on a ship does not use energy, which is a big deal in the early game when that's the difference between another weapon or shield module in a destroyer. the biggest thing you give up when you play wormholes is early game scouting, which, in my experience, is vastly overrated anyway. there is not a huge amount of value scouting out further than your potential borders given your next colonization wave, and if you are playing a warmonger it is actively a bad thing to go out too hard because you ideally want to destroy or neuter your nearest neighbor before the galactic neighborhood lights up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
by the time the galactic neighborhood lights up and you have entered the mid game it's not difficult to start mounting proper expeditions using leapfrogging wormhole stations - and the price tag for the stations is much less painful at that point, too. wormhole powers do not lose out much on reach after they start hitting 40-50 minerals per month, and they DEFINITELY lose nothing on reach after they research their first FTL tech. it will definitely hurt if the conclave you want is clear on the other side of the galaxy, but that was gonna be a problem for warp and hyperlane powers too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
you don't need wormhole treaties. build around people. you can drop wormhole stations in unclaimed territory and they function just fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
There Is A Problem And The Problem Is You

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
they build stuff and are generally tolerable, but tolerable doesn't mean good or problem free

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Grand Fromage posted:

Last I played they were entirely useless so I'll take tolerable for now. :v:

slightly more useful answer: they're good enough that i've broken the back of a medium sized, hard difficulty, high aggressiveness AI run where i'm going for Suffer Not the Alien. i own over 50% of the habitable planets in the galaxy now and humanity outnumbers all other races in the galaxy combined. i've had a couple of heartstopping problems where the sector AI let my empire run deeply in the red for a while when i did a new expansion wave, because people would migrate from power plants to the new planets and the sector AI would not reassign pops to produce maximum energy like i'd asked them to. the problem ended up resolving itself when new pops grew on the worlds that had seen migration. but beyond that they've given me no problems that i've deeply noticed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
all hail this glorious dumb video game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Torrannor posted:

That sounds super evil :(

I don't know why it bugs me, but I'm never able to go on a real "purge all xeno scum" rampage in Stellaris. I can be extremely evil in CK2, but I can't exterminate those fluffy species in this game. I don't think I will ever use the livestock option.

it is every creature's right to defend itself from attackers, friend, and a xeno is not like you. they do not think like you, they do not have values like you, and if push comes to shove in this cold, dangerous galaxy of ours, they will choose themselves over you. it is only the nature of all living things.

but if that's the case, a xeno is necessarily an attacker that simply has not found cause to destroy you yet. you would give them the chance?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Splicer posted:

I genetically engineered their entire species from Ocean preference to Arctic preference and watched them all slowly gently caress off to other empires and a few freshly colonised frigid hellhole honeypot worlds. Mrs. Splicer called me "a passive aggressive monster".
seems fine to me. the rats got what they wanted and you got what you wanted.

now if it were me i would have butchered them ruthlessly and terraformed the hellholes to be good places to live so perhaps that is the lens through which we should look at this!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it's also HILARIOUS.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
my use case for the feature is that it's hysterical to purge by eating

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fintilgin posted:

As far as eating pops go, don't forget numbers aren't final. Seems pretty powerful now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got nerfed a bit or required a 'carnivore' trait or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNy5diaoKI

click that one it's actually kinda relevant

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I really disagree, again, that a hive mind should play out any differently than a democracy. A hive mind is just a democracy where they communicate through some other way than talking and writing.

im sure D&D would love to hear your takes on this, you should go post them there

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wiz posted:

For some reason, they're upset about me annexing and enslaving their space elf allies.

Elves and plants man, elves and plants.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crazycryodude posted:

I mean, I laughed. I just felt really bad right after.

i laughed and then did not feel bad after

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Vadoc posted:

Aww, what was it? I missed it.

a picture of starving african children scraping for a morsel of food from an erect imperialist exploiter only the african children were labeled 'goons' and the imperialist was labeled 'wiz' and the morsel was labeled 'utopia'

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
don't lie you're going to make humans have catgirls and we all know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
:woof: