Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also eating enemy pops is just a fun way to genocide them, it's not a long term sustainable food source, that's what your farms are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Also eating enemy pops is just a fun way to genocide them, it's not a long term sustainable food source, that's what your farms are for.
There's two different gameplay things being conflated here-
There's Livestock slavery, which is sustainable 'farming' of a species for food.
Then there's Processing purge, where you get food as you purge them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, we had this alien food stuff now for what feels like weeks. What about robots, ascension to super-robots and all the related things to it? I want to know more!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

Think you mean "ranches" tbh.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Think you mean "ranches" tbh.
Speaking of, I can't wait to engineer a race of delicious plantoids that secrete their own ranch dressing.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Libluini posted:

OK, we had this alien food stuff now for what feels like weeks. What about robots, ascension to super-robots and all the related things to it? I want to know more!

What about eating robots?

Say for example, another species ascends into super-robotic lifeforms. You could eat them for being presumptuous.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Wiz posted:

The fluff text explains they're also very nutritious, and yes it's used in genemodding. If you've gone down the biological ascension path you can genemod a species to be delicious and nerve staple them so they're not sad about being eaten.

Can it be picked at species creation? +10 food/pop would put a neon 'conquer me' sign over your species...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I thought one of life's cruel ironies is that the more delicious something was the unhealthier it was to eat...

Sure those leafy plant aliens make a great side salad but if they've sweated out 1000 calories worth of ranch dessing you probably shouldn't be scarfing them down.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I thought one of life's cruel ironies is that the more delicious something was the unhealthier it was to eat...

Sure those leafy plant aliens make a great side salad but if they've sweated out 1000 calories worth of ranch dessing you probably shouldn't be scarfing them down.
You're just thinking of it from a narrow, 21st century perspective.
Having more calories is an upside for a food, not a downside, at least when you're trying to feed an empire.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Just think how many calories you'd burn living a rugged frontier lifestyle on an alien world. Eating the flesh of sapient beings is the only rational choice, frankly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wiz posted:

The fluff text explains they're also very nutritious, and yes it's used in genemodding. If you've gone down the biological ascension path you can genemod a species to be delicious and nerve staple them so they're not sad about being eaten.

That sounds super evil :(

I don't know why it bugs me, but I'm never able to go on a real "purge all xeno scum" rampage in Stellaris. I can be extremely evil in CK2, but I can't exterminate those fluffy species in this game. I don't think I will ever use the livestock option.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't know why it bugs me, but I'm never able to go on a real "purge all xeno scum" rampage in Stellaris. I can be extremely evil in CK2, but I can't exterminate those fluffy species in this game. I don't think I will ever use the livestock option.
What if you only eat the really ugly and awful species.
Fanatical purifier? You're food for everyone else now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Torrannor posted:

it is every creature's right to defend itself from attackers, friend, and a xeno is not like you. they do not think like you, they do not have values like you, and if push comes to shove in this cold, dangerous galaxy of ours, they will choose themselves over you. it is only the nature of all living things.

but if that's the case, a xeno is necessarily an attacker that simply has not found cause to destroy you yet. you would give them the chance?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You ain't alone, here. That's horrific.

I suppose the idea's to galvanise people and/or AI into having someone they want to fight. "They're using those guys as...livestock!? Pacifism be dammed, range be dammed, this ends NOW!"

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It would really be cool if you had like "Liberate our AI brethren" or "Stop eating dolphins you monsters" CBs. Seems like it would be entertaining if you could force other empires to run certain policies as part of the peace deal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I think giving ethical reasons for pacifists and the like to go to war would make playing pacifists a lot more interesting.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Rakthar posted:

It would really be cool if you had like "Liberate our AI brethren" or "Stop eating dolphins you monsters" CBs. Seems like it would be entertaining if you could force other empires to run certain policies as part of the peace deal.

There's already a stop atrocities wargoal, and you can save species from extinction by accepting refugees, and potentially by helping rebels.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

There's already a stop atrocities wargoal, and you can save species from extinction by accepting refugees, and potentially by helping rebels.

What wargoals/CB's related to these are available to pacifists?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

What wargoals/CB's related to these are available to pacifists?

Pacifists are only restricted from conquering and vassalising, so... all of them.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Wiz posted:

It also justifies being a xenophobe that purges too. If you are a delicious species surrounded by others that want to eat you/kill you, then you have to survive by being a bigger rear end in a top hat or else your species will end up like cattle or the dodo.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Torrannor posted:

I've always liked evil and terrible choices in games because even if I don't use them much, they give good choices meaning (provided the evil choices aren't trick/detrimental). It always feels better to roleplay someone good if being terribly evil is a viable option.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My utopic democracy is open to all who accept the inevitability of apotheosis into a higher form of being.

p.s. I really want to hear more about the various cool things you can do to alter your pops, so far there's turning into robots, super genetic engineering and psionics, am I missing anything?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

My utopic democracy is open to all who accept the inevitability of apotheosis into a higher form of being.

p.s. I really want to hear more about the various cool things you can do to alter your pops, so far there's turning into robots, super genetic engineering and psionics, am I missing anything?

We'll cover the other two ascension types more in detail later.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the general vibe in the office about Utopia? People pretty pumped and happy with how it's turned out? Still feel like there's a million other things they wish they had time to look at but will have to wait for future DLC?
Looking at that list of future features you guys wanted to develop, it looks like Utopia hits about 75% of them. It's a really big DLC.

I'm glad Stellaris sold really well because it means we're probably going to get like EU4 levels of DLC for it, maybe.

Has there been a price announced? Utopia seems pretty big compared to some EU4 dlc's, and way bigger than the first stellaris DLC, curious how the prices will compare.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

What's the general vibe in the office about Utopia? People pretty pumped and happy with how it's turned out? Still feel like there's a million other things they wish they had time to look at but will have to wait for future DLC?
Looking at that list of future features you guys wanted to develop, it looks like Utopia hits about 75% of them. It's a really big DLC.

I'm glad Stellaris sold really well because it means we're probably going to get like EU4 levels of DLC for it, maybe.

Has there been a price announced? Utopia seems pretty big compared to some EU4 dlc's, and way bigger than the first stellaris DLC, curious how the prices will compare.

There's a few more things we need to get in place but I genuinely feel this is the best expansion I've ever worked on, and people at the office generally seem to agree.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Wiz posted:

There's a few more things we need to get in place but I genuinely feel this is the best expansion I've ever worked on, and people at the office generally seem to agree.

this is a really loving exciting thing to read

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

That's rad. There's a few other glaring weak spots in the core game that need to be looked at (army management) and once those are "fixed" I'm really curious to see how the game will develop. I'm really glad you're spending the time to go back and fix things that aren't working so well instead of just spraying new content on top without touching existing things like a lot of franchises do. There's been a lot of growing pains with Stellaris, I've certainly been extremely critical of it, but I'm also quite confident it's' in good hands and heading in a really good direction. It's obvious you have a lot of enthusiasm for making the game better and better and a good understanding on what's working and what isn't.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

ChickenWing posted:

this is a really loving exciting thing to read

Same here. The game looks like it is really being improved, far more than the last DLC. Not only from the quality of life improvements but also the Vic II style changes that should make pops more interesting and the end game content being added.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

That's rad. There's a few other glaring weak spots in the core game that need to be looked at (army management) and once those are "fixed" I'm really curious to see how the game will develop. I'm really glad you're spending the time to go back and fix things that aren't working so well instead of just spraying new content on top without touching existing things like a lot of franchises do. There's been a lot of growing pains with Stellaris, I've certainly been extremely critical of it, but I'm also quite confident it's' in good hands and heading in a really good direction. It's obvious you have a lot of enthusiasm for making the game better and better and a good understanding on what's working and what isn't.

My plan is basically to focus on one area of the game at a time and take the time to get it right. Utopia is very heavily focused on ethics, empire customization and 'internal' mechanics. We'll give war and diplomacy the same treatment in due time.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I for one am fearful that the Banks update and the subsequent diplomacy revision will work will, since if that happens then Stellaris will end up being the only video game I ever play :(

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Wiz posted:

My plan is basically to focus on one area of the game at a time and take the time to get it right. Utopia is very heavily focused on ethics, empire customization and 'internal' mechanics. We'll give war and diplomacy the same treatment in due time.

I hope when you focus on war and get around to making missiles viable (in the late game) it will be called the "Weber" update.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wiz posted:

Out of curiosity, do you envision interstellar trade being a thing worth focusing on and fleshing out? Or would you group that under diplomacy?

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I for one am fearful that the Banks update and the subsequent diplomacy revision will work will, since if that happens then Stellaris will end up being the only video game I ever play :(

It's not so bad. Most games are poo poo anyway. I just focus on a few good ones until they are no longer fun to play.

It's why I want Stellaris to be better. I am tired of Distant Worlds but I want a good 4x game. I like the main titles that Paradox makes so Stellaris has the best chance for being something different, both for 4x and Paradox games.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

The last page is pretty much this episode of Squidbillies.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoaomccQJY

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My fear is that Banks/Utopia will be so good that everything Wiz hasn't yet radically overhauled will seem crap by comparison and make me want to wait for the next DLC after that to play this game.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

GunnerJ posted:

My fear is that Banks/Utopia will be so good that everything Wiz hasn't yet radically overhauled will seem crap by comparison and make me want to wait for the next DLC after that to play this game.

Just do what I do - play the game and beat it then wait till the next one. I haven't even played leviathans yet so when I play all of em' it's like a SUPER expansion!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Play the game as-is so when improvements come they'll be even more jaw-dropping!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

Go on...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah I'm curious if rebel support is just declaring war and being in an alliance with the rebels, or if it can be more indirect like giving them resources/ships without fully going to war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AG3 posted:

I've always liked evil and terrible choices in games because even if I don't use them much, they give good choices meaning (provided the evil choices aren't trick/detrimental). It always feels better to roleplay someone good if being terribly evil is a viable option.

Same here, though that being said I will readily eat any Fanatical Purifiers and the like, and maybe rear end in a top hat FEs as well. Wish we could somehow engineer ourselves to find the endgame crisis threats delicious, but that's just me.

• Locked thread